Zante Star
    Petros Hotel(Tsilivi)
    Very Good 4/5
    • Breakfast included
    Great 4.5/5
    All reviewsgreek nightwashing up liquidminute walkplenty of sunbedsnext yearnothing is too much troubleolive grovesmemory foamowners and staffyear after yearhorse and carriagegreat holidayolympic holidaysfamily run hotelself cateringtwo weeksfantastic hotel
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 20 June 2010

I feel compelled to add a review after reading the derogatory review below, a review which is totally without foundation and blatantly untrue!

We have two children, my daughter is 14 and my son is 12. We have been visiting the Zante Star for the past 6 years and have become 'hooked' like so many others with the magic of the Zante Star. Every year we meet more and more people who come back time and again because lets face it, when you have found the best, why go anywhere else?

The below review commented 'The rooms were spotless, maid cleaned every day, beds and towels changed twice a week, food was fine' - it sounds terrible!!!!!!!!!!

The Zante Star Staff can not do enough for you, whatever age you may be to make sure your stay is enjoyable and that you take away with you a real feeling of Greece and Greek culture. Take the Greek night - a 'must do' evening with fantastic entertainment where you can dance Greek style and enjoy watching (disabled or not) Professional Greek Dancers show you things you did not know possible! Obviously the odd couple mentioned did not attend the evening and prefered an early night - their loss, and there was me thinking you went away to sample different cultures and ways of life and to enjoy yourself, life is stressful enough at home and work!

As for music blaring out? The Zante Star make the effort to play some relaxing background music during the day in the bar which was so loud I often snoozed by the pool during the day!!!!!! To hear it properly I would have had to enter the bar!!! And I can honestly say that in the 6 years of visiting we have NEVER heard the music once we have returned to our room. But for those who WANT to pick fault, they will find fault.

The baby noises??? I feel the gentleman writing the below review is trying hard to think of things to complain about and I suspect that this is not the first time he has complained!! There is obviously more to the story than meets the eye as mentioned in the review immediately below this one!!!!! What exactly WAS he doing??? Sour Grapes maybe??

If you DO want a relaxing holiday, to sample Greece and see the beautiful island of Zante, you will not find a better place to stay than the Zante Star in Tsilivi. However I must warn you, do not be surprised if you make many more trips to the Zante Star!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
    3  Thank Edgefamily
    Reviewed 18 June 2010

The rooms were spotless, maid cleaned every day, beds and towels changed twice a week, food was fine, eat once, but this was the worst holiday I have ever had. The brochure said "a chance for a relaxing holiday", no choice was what we got, we had a few problems the second night, which was not the hotels fault. But the problems started before that. The first night we heard a baby crying during the day and night, every two hours for feeds, it was two days before I knew that his mother was one of the owners . We were allocated the first room next to reception, No 111, the mother, baby and toddler slept in the room behind reception which backed on to our room, we had eleven days of this nonstop crying, and screaming from the toddler when she was taken out of reception. it was only when I saw the rep two days before departure and told her about the crying, that the children were taken downstairs at night but was brought back during the day, I am disable and was not able to go out every day, so could not escape the constant crying.
    The night life was more like a 18 to 30s holiday, music blarring out from 8.50am until 2am most nites, never before1.30am. Greek nights are worse, owners family and friend came and the music level was even WORSE. If I'd known that I could have got a flight home, {only saw travel agents 2 days before departure date}, I would happily have come back to the rain!!!!!!! WAS VERY HAPPY TO CHECK OUT, I FEEL AS THOUGH I'VE PAID TO BE TIRED AND UNREFRESHED.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
    7  Thank SCOVEL
    Reviewed 18 June 2010

holliday for a week very relaxin and comfortable, clean and verywell maintained staff were wonderful and helpfull in every way they could, would definatley book again thanks for a briilliant week.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank brggy
    Reviewed 13 June 2010

Stayed at this hotel and it was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and the place was very clean. It is in a decent location away from the town centre but less than a 10 minute walk to it. The beach in Tsilivi is a bit disappointing although it was clean and the sea was clear. It is very narrow and not particularly enticing. The town is decent enough with the usual cocktail bars etc but is let down due to having no promenade.

Restaurants - we went to Benikos (twice), Sweet revenge, Apollon and Valentinos and all were superb. Valentinos is well worth a visit as it is 100% Greek and feels like you are sitting in someones back garden.

Trips - hired a car for the day from Theos and drove around the island anticlockwise. We did the blue caves and shipwreck beach from the very top end of the island (company called Potamitis or similar). Don't be had over by the blokes jumping out in front of your car along the way trying to get you on their trip, they will rip you off. Also, don't believe anyone who tells you the road ahead is closed.

Prices - a real mish mash, food in restaurants is relatively cheap and good quality.

Drinks are pricey, 3 Euros for a beer is worse than at home in some cases, spirits 5 Euros but at least a double. Unfortunately I think the Greeks along with other Euro bound holiday destinations will suffer this season and next because of the prices, people simply won't be able to afford the holiday.

All in all a good holiday. Not sure I would return to Zakynthos but if I did would definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
    2  Thank maidenengland
    Reviewed 8 June 2010

Hotel was on the outskirts of Tsilivi about 10 mins to beach and 15 mins to the restaurants and bars. The hotel is lovely and clean and rooms quite spacious. Well equipped with toaster which is a bonus in Greece. The water was heated by boiler which ensured hot water available until 9pm and in the morning after about 7am. Towels and beds changed 2x a week. You were able to rent fans as alternative to air conditioning which is a bonus for those on a tight budget, only downside of room were the beds which were a little hard for us. Bar area was lovely and food was very good and was reasonabley priced. Staff were all very welcoming and friendly. Magdalans bar had lovely staff and great cocktails and trente nove had lovely atmosphere and great food. Lovely island and great hotel. All the bars and taverna's were reasonably priced, drinks were about 2-3 euros for large local beer and cocktails were 2.50 - 4 euros lots having happy hour deals etc and meals averaged 8-12 Euros for a main and house wine was 3-3.50 Euro for 1/2 litre. We rented a car which cost 89 Euros for 3 days and petrol was 145 - 160 Euros a litre so try to use petrol stations out of the main town, the nearer we went to Zante the cheaper it was. With the island being so small it is worth having a car as you can see all the island in a few days and not feel that you have rushed yourself. Beach sellers were annoying at times.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple