AfroChic Diani
Afrika Pearl & Spa(Diani Beach)
US$108
  • Breakfast included
US$169
US$142
  • Pool
Blue Marlin Beach Hotel(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
US$128
The Sands at Nomad(Diani Beach)
US$148
US$138
Agoda.com
Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$126
Hotwire.com
US$1,157
CheapTickets
Waterlovers Beach Resort(Diani Beach)
US$335
US$552
All reviewsan extensive menuturtle hatcherybuilding nestsfantastic boutique hotelshort flighttwo young boysbeach boyscold towelsthe pool and beach areastaff were exceptionalsmall hoteljunior suitehotel stayhome away from homemeal timesheaven on earththe general manager
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful pre honeymoon here. the place is just lovely decoration wise. the service is superb and the rooms are so nice that that even the rainy season is a good time to stay there. we loved it!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Jatanu69
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I didn't realize until I arrived how small the hotel is - about 12 rooms, and I loved it. It is THE way to end a safari.... lots of relax time in the pool, the swinging beds by the sea, or pool. Be warned though, you are likely to gain 2 kilos..... the all inclusive meals are lovely, and it is hard not to 'try ' everything on the menu :)

2 nights flew by, even though we didn't leave the immediate area, we appreciated being 'cared' for, the great food, and doing nothing! There are excursions which can be arranged - but we were happy relaxing. Love the fact it is a 5-10 min ride to the airport!

i was very touched by the front desk manager who gave me a big hug upon leaving!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Service_Sommelier
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We were in AfroChic during New Years. Friendly staff, felt like home. Nice beaches but beware of the sea urchins in the water and a few locals who tried to sell you items. Rooms were nice, however the wifi was a tad slow.

Staff were very personal and friendly and by the end we felt very comforatble there. The 'sacred' forest trip is NOT worth it, waste of time and the scuba diving is expensive for what we got but still nice.

The pool at the resort however was not clean and resulted in me getting an ear infection where I was taken to the local hospital. The warm climate with stagnant water is a breeding ground for disease, so beware!

But other than that we had a lovely stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
ElewanaCollection, Owner at AfroChic Diani, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Sir

Firstly may I thank you for your review of AfroChic Diani Beach hotel. I am pleased to hear that you and your parents had an enjoyable time with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

I was somewhat disappointed to read your claims that the swimming pool contained 'stagnant' water and was therefore the cause of your ear infection. We take such claims made against our health and safety very seriously indeed, and I hope my detailed response will both demonstrate that fact as well as show that our pool was unlikely to have been the cause of your ailment.

For the benefit of our readers, I have tried to make contact with you before publicly responding but as yet I have not received a reply.

As you will probably remember, AfroChic's swimming pool has a large waterfall feature that, along with in and outflow jets, keeps the water within the pool moving constantly. Thousands of gallons of water are circulated via these pumps and flow jets during the day, with the total amount of water circulated in excess of three times the amount of water in the pool. Stagnancy is therefore not a reality.

In addition to this constant circulation, the swimming pool has regular checks performed on it as part of our operational procedure, to ensure that the filters and the 'ph' value are both correct and that the right amount of chemicals are within the water to provide a clean and safe environment for all our guests.

We have never had any complaints regarding either the quality or cleanliness of our pool and certainly never any reports of ear infections caused by swimming in our pool either before, during or after your stay.

We very much hope that your ear infection did not cause you too much discomfort.

Should you or your parents wish to contact me regarding this review and my response then I would only be too happy to hear from you.

With best regards,

Jason Barry
Director of Communications, Elewana Afrika
jason.barry@elewana.com.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

My husband and I just returned from a five day, four night stay at AfroChic. I'm frankly at a bit of a loss for words how to explain it all, so I will start from the jump. We got off the plane at Ukunda Airstrip and were greeted by Joseph, our driver, with a sign. He promptly whisked away our bags and got us settled in the car with cool towels and ice cold bottled water. We arrived at AfroChic after a quick drive where we were greeted, by name, by the very lovely manager Zipporah. She was incredibly welcoming and immediately had us served some sparkling wine and nibbles. We took a walk to see the beach, had a bite to eat then went to our room to unpack and change. Our room (Ocean Gift) was so beautiful and spacious. We had a big bed, lots of storage, a sitting area and a balcony with a view of the sea. And I should mention, excellent air conditioning (important!). I love the decor at AfroChic - it is definitively African and beachy all at the same time. Someone put a lot of time and thought into making it as comfortable but as elegant as possible.

The hotel itself is on the smaller side - only 10 rooms and it was only about half full when we checked in, though full when we left, so it's very intimate and cozy. It was also really fun socializing with most of the other guests who were all really interesting people! Another thing to note is that with the exception of family weekends, there are no children there so it is super quiet and peaceful. There is a gorgeous pool and lots of places for guests to lounge and relax - whether on loungers or the huge day beds by the beach (my personal favorite). Speaking of relaxing, since full board is included in your room, you get to decide the when, where and what about your meals. There is no set meal time (hurray!!!) which we absolutely loved since sometimes we get up early and sometimes we like to sleep in and you can adjust according to how you feel that day. Furthermore, the food was spectacular. I am going to have to spend some serious time at the gym working off this trip due to the absolutely divine creations of Chef Alphonse and his staff. The wait staff, John and Donald primarily, were really attentive without being intrusive.

Zipporah and Doris at the front desk were so lovely about arranging trips and excursions for us - whether it was just a brief trip to the chemist, a massage or an all day deep sea fishing excursion. They even arranged for coffee to be brought to our room with our 5am wake up call on the day we went fishing! And speaking of our fishing trip, we lucked out and came back with two big dorado and Chef Alphonse made us a gigantic, delicious plate of mahi mahi for dinner that night. The beauty of AfroChic is that you have the option of doing active things or you can just lounge by the ocean all day long if you wish. It was unlike any other place I've ever stayed just because it was so free, so welcoming and so incredibly relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank KatGD
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This is one of the best rated hotels in Africa and certainly the best boutique hotel in Kenya. The hotel makes its best to tailor your stay around you and your needs. They have a huge menu to choose from that covers every taste and certainly you will find whatever you want. They can also add whatever you want if you gave them enough notice. The hotel is a small building that has few rooms so not that much company, when we stayed there were only five rooms filled. The pool is great and the hotel is directly on the shore so you have the best view of the ocean. I loved the beds on the sand so we enjoyed relaxing on the sand so much. The hotel serves three meals and 5 o'clock tea so plenty of food of excellent taste. This is a remarkable experience that we don;t think we can find anywhere else...

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are ocean view so ask for one
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple