“The best kenyan beach lodge - live in Africa with Italian style”

and 1 more site!
Waterlovers Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Riccardo and Valentina had build a fabulous resort inside a slice of beach forest. Their passion is in every detail.
Everything has been great from the rooms (they give africans animals names, we took two: Rhino and Hippo, they are large and clean).
Excellent food (the menu has a strong italian influence).
It's a good spot for kitesurf (I did kitesurfing 4/5 days) with the support of the resort' beach boy that inflates and prepare the kite for the ride. In August the wind is light (10-15 knts) but great fun jumping and freeriding in the laguna or wavesurfing on the reef. A kitesurf school is 200 mt from the lodge.
The drive from Mombasa is quite long 1h, but there's very close airstrip (Ukunda) we used to reach out Amboseli or Masai Mara parks for the Safari.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Matteo C
ricfort5, Owner at Waterlovers Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear friends,
thanks a lot for your nice words.
It's true, we cannot hide our italian roots when it comes to food.
Hope to have the pleasure to prepare some good homemade pasta
again for you in the future ;)
All the best.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Wonderful relaxing boutique hotel. On the beach with owners who care and staff who cossett.
Riccardo and Valentina a charming couple who have trained their staff well
Rooms spatious, food excellent and the menu a guide which can be altered to suit you..
Top tip is to fly to Ukunda (5 minutes away) and avoid Mombassa.
Local shops handy,beach superb. Watch for the Monkeys-Colobus Ok but the others very cheeky
I hope there is room for us next time we go which will be our FOURTH!

Room Tip: Rhino or Hippo best views -ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rushall-Olympia
ricfort5, Proprietario at Waterlovers Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear friends,
thanks a lot for your fourth visit.
The number itself is already a great compliment to us.
The truth anyway, is that with guest like you...
is really too nice to be in the hospitality business!!
Thanks for giving us the energy to keep on going this way.
There will always be a room for you here!
All the best.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Still our favorite place on the Kenyan beach! This was our 4th visit to Waterlovers and again we enjoyed every minute of it. Such a special place, love the relaxed atmosphere, the great quality, the staff who makes you feel at home!

Thanks to the 'Waterlovers family' for taking such good care of us again, we will be back.......

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jet v
ricfort5, Proprietario at Waterlovers Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear friends,
so glad to see you again,
and had the pleasure to host you here with us for the 4th time!
This is the best compliment we ever received.

All the best, ...and even more!

Reviewed 25 April 2012

イースター休暇というクリスマスに次いで混む時期に偶然予約が取れたので友人と2泊してきました。Trip Advisorでの評価がすごく良いので期待して行きましたが、期待以上の良さ!部屋はお洒落な上に細々と気の利いた小物(iPod用ステレオ、ビーチに持って行く用のカゴバッグ&タオルetc)や造り(2階の部屋なので、階段途中水着とか干すバー、階段下には足元の砂を落とす水ため)があって快適そのもの。8部屋+グループ用のコテージがあるだけなので、大人だけでゆっくり過ごすには最適。イタリア人がオーナーだけあって食事も美味しかった。コストパフォーマンスが良過ぎて、リピーターになりそう!
I stayed here for 2 nights with friends during Easter Holiday. My expectation was quite high since this hotel has got good rate on this site but the quality of this hotel is moch more than I expected! Good amenities gudgets (iPod stand, beach bag&towel etc) are equipped at the room and the decoration of the room is fabulously nice! Food is nice, staff are all friendly, no children=no noise etc, everything was just perfoct for us. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
ricfort5, Proprietario at Waterlovers Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear japanese friends, it's been really a pleasure to host you here with us.
Thanks a lot for your nice comment. (nice to see the japanese on our feedbacks for the first time). We'll be onoured to host you and your friends again in the future.
All the best from the Waterlovers family.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

What a hidden gem!! This was an exceptionally magnificent three days. I wish I could have stayed longer. From the first second we arrived into the gates of the property, we were met with two large glasses of the freshest papaya and orange guice imaginable. From there we were shown into our spacious villa with a large bed and enormous bath. Even better is the wide shaded porch with comfortable chairs and table allowing the guest to enjoy the room outdoors as well as inside. Everything is just a minute walk; the cool terrace restaurant with books, swinging beds under coconut "palapas"-not sure what they are called in Africa. The pool is just steps away from all of the rooms and the bar is just as close. Rather than gardens landscaped with pathways and foliage, the ground is covered in white sand. You're able to walk barefoot everywhere and the sand is as soft as cotton. The owners are always present to answer questions and the staff is overwhelmingly friendly and cater to every need. Also, the service is my idea of perfection. There when you need it but not on top of you every minute. Food was quite good, especially breakfast and tea. Someone REALLY knows how to bake in that kitchen because everyday we ate the most amazing home baked cookies and breads. I could not stop. Dinner was good but I am from a real foodie town and we are spoiled with some of the greatest food in the U.S. I found most of it very good but not excpetional. On the other hand, this is not the type of hotel where you go to have long chef tasting menus. The more local the food, the better it was. I liked the mix of rustic with excellent service and natural beauty. If you are expecting over the top marble and pampering a la Ritz Carlton, this is not your place. You go here for the solitude, the breezes, and the beautfy of the ocean. I would have given this place 5 stars but there was only one negative aspect. I was too embarrassed to mention it to the owners as I did not want to sound like an unapprecaitive American tourist but I cannot help mentioning it, mainly as a warning. The first day, I walked down the steps onto one of the most magnificent beaches in all of Africa. The sand is soft, cool, and snow white. The water is bathtub warm and clear as a swimming pool. I swam for 20 minutes and was in HEAVEN. Then, I got out of the water and the fun ended. I could see them just waiting for me. At least 5 people. One would not stop pushing me to buy little elephant statues. Three women were selling swahili cloth, another was pushing the snorkeling tour. I understand that this is part of their livlihood and I made sure to buy trinkets for everyone on the beach. I also took the snorkeling tour to the reef which was beautiful. But, it never ended. I happened to notice barely a tourist lying on the beach and now I know why. Thankfully, the man made sandy beach and pool at the hotel sufficed. The last thing I wanted was to be at a beautiful beach spending most of the time saying "no" to people. But, as I undertand, this is part of the entire beach at Diani. It's certainly not the fault of the hotel and I am proud that they work with local peoole rather than push them away. I feel like the compromise works. While the guest is on hotel grounds, they are left unmolested. Once on the beach, you're fair game. Nothing's ever perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank michael_davidh

Hey guys, this is really a nice and detailed one!
Thanks a lot for finding the right words and the time to put them down on the internet.
We really had a nice time with you here.
Hope to see you again, and to be able to give you back such a good feeling.
We wish you only great things!!

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I can recommend the place for a nice and relaxed beach holiday. The rooms are spacious, clean, with large windows. They put sand in between the huts and the open plan restaurant which gives you a nice beach experience. The food is great and they prepare whatever you ask for for your child! (In an exceptional quality - I rarely had such nice pasta sauces in a restaurant - it's run by italians...!)
Just one advise to the management: please check you pool - all our clothes got green stains by the chemicals...
Apart from that: both thumbs up!

Room Tip: For kids: the lower rooms as they can play in the sand in front of the room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear friends,
thanks a lot for the feedback and for sharing
some good time here with us. Your kid is a lovely one,
and whenever we have a family like yours,
we're so happy to be able to take care of the needs of the little ones too (we have two of them, so we understand how can be important sometime)
Thanks also for informing us of the problem with the pool,
I think we solved it now (we changed the chemicals).
All the best from the Waterlovers

Reviewed 21 March 2012

A friend and I stayed at Water Lovers in March, 4 nights to wind down after 8 days of early starts on safari.

The resort is 10 minutes from the tiny airport and just so easy to get to, we flew in direct to from the Maasai Mara (no faffing about going via Nairobi's domestic Wilson airport).

Riccardo, Valentina and all their staff were all extremely helpful and pleasant during our stay, and you can really see that so much thought and detail has gone into their creation of an idyllic beach resort (flower petals, woven beach bag in the room, departure gift). It is wonderful that it’s so small, 4 thatched roof houses, an upstairs and downstairs suite in each. All with large balconies (the upstairs ones are lovely, you feel like you’re up in the trees with the monkeys!)

There are more loungers (and shaded beach beds with big cushions! Great for snoozing the day away) than people and a lovely pool – it’s not unusual to be the only people there, as other guests went off snorkling or in the kayak or on a day trip to the reef. We hardly left the place, but when we did descend the half dozen steps to the actual beach, it had the softest white sand and lovely warm ocean.

The fresh juices and bread (watch out for the occasional crafty monkey, who surprised us one day and stole a bread roll from us!) were lovely and the tempura prawns are my absolute favourite. The salads at the lunchtime snack bar are huge and good value too, and yes all the food is freshly cooked to order which meant the pace of our meals felt just lovely and relaxed too.

I was surprised and pleased that there was a breeze from the ocean so it never got overbearingly hot and there weren’t any mosquitos that I saw either. Although of course we slept under nets in the rooms.

All in all a lovely place. Happy to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Upstairs suites have a great balcony if you like being in the tree tops
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ShelovesEcudaor
ricfort5, Proprietario at Waterlovers Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Every word of this comment is written with the hearth,
and is with the hearth that we thank you guys....
with the hope to see you soon again, we'll remember of you!
Riccardo Valentina Sara and Sole(... and the rest of the Waterlovers tribe!)