“A forest without the dream”

Forest Dream Resort
Nairobi
“A forest without the dream”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

As we live in Kenya, we have a pretty good idea of what to expect from a coastal rental. Given the usual stampede for a Christmas booking we considered ourselves extremely lucky to have found Forest dream only 2 weeks to our preferred holiday date. We had visited their direct website and booked to stay in Leopard cottage from 21st-27th Dec, 2010. The site specified that Leopard Lodge 'included a fully equipped kitchen' and three bedrooms, perfect for our Christmas getaway. Cleverly and by omission the site does not state where it is in relation to the beach and my husband, daughter and I soon realised upon arrival that it is actually located 4 rows back from the beach, along a dusty bumpy road. Not much fun for any traveller unless you don't have young children and don't mind trying to relax on a public beach.
The landscape was lush and green, an inviting pool…all in all a peaceful setting. We occupied the master suite with living room and bath, which was spacious & comfortable even though the double bed was actually two single mattresses placed together. However, when being shown the rest of the cottage, I noticed that there was no kitchen at all, not even utensils to make a simple cup of tea or glasses for drinks. I asked the manager Rehema about this and all she could say was ‘sorry’ but that there was a restaurant in which we were welcome to use. In spite of our disappointment, we figured that the money we would have used to buy supplies would now go into paying for meals and decided to brush this issue off.
Little did we know that the restaurant food was not only substandard with shoddy service but also over priced.
We asked for crab from the menu on the first night, there was none to be had. 2nd night I asked for fish and specified that I did not want barracuda if that was the only option...guess what was served up? By the 3rd night I figured that I could at least enjoy my meal, if I asked for a typical Swahili dish of pilau, thinking the chef couldn't possibly get it wrong…or so I thought. What I got was a poor cousin that was piled high on my plate and desperately dry. It was not as though the staff were rushed off their feet with customers either, as the only other table taken was by the owner and his family. Lunch we tended to take by the pool and we stuck to what we found to be half decent, chips and burgers served on breakfast roll bread or sausages (when they had them) whilst I chose grilled chicken.
The following day my sister, her partner and two children finally joined us from Geneva after being held up by snow in London for 5 days and what my brother in law said of the place was to the point -' a forest without the dream'. Needless to say having told them of our experience thus far, we decided that in spite of the extra expense, eating out was the only option and so we chose to dine at the excellent Leonardo's restaurant than suffer the food at forest dream for the rest of our stay.
House keeping had an interesting take too. I asked for clean towels only to find that all the housekeeper had done was dry out our used dirty towels. A mascara smudge from the previous day gave the lack of care away. What’s more the housekeeper felt it okay to sit & watch television in our paid for facilities on Boxing Day waiting for her colleague to finish work. She saw nothing wrong with this even after I questioned her being there. Being a creature of habit, I would ask for a flask of hot water so that I could enjoy my chamomile tea before bed and on one occasion a flask appeared that had a thick brown ring of whatever it was, around the lip.
In all, this place felt like it only opened its doors during high season when late booking customers like us are left with little or no option in terms of coastal accommodation. On the final day of our holiday, we were moved to a different cottage because the next guests would be arriving by 10am and our flight back to Nairobi was at 3 pm....and that also came with an hour-long discourse between manager, and other members of staff.
It is obvious to us that the owner should perhaps be some sort of green campaigner and not an hotelier. He does not see that it is in his best interest to deliver on what he markets on his website especially at his prices (which incidentally ran equal to some 5 star beach front hotels over the Christmas period). We were offered a couple of nights free stay during low season, as some sort of recompense, but frankly none of us found the prospect in any way enticing.
If all you want to do is swim, take 30 mins out of your day in the searing December heat to walk to the beach and back, aren’t fussed by eating fresh seafood plus have deep pockets, this is the place for you.

A truly disappointing experience for me and my family, and the fact that it touts itself as a 'Luxury resort' leaves a bad taste in the mouth especially having had the experience.

The Sanders family,
Nairobi, Kenya

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank PANbi
jkamau, Manager at Forest Dream Resort, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Dear Sanders family,

We want to thank you for your honest feedback and are very sorry that your stay with us was not as it should be. We wanted to let you know that we took care of all these concerns and we hope that if you should visit us again in the future, we can persuade you and your family of the progress we made thanks to your feedback..

Kind regards,
Forest Dream Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
's-Gravendeel
Reviewed 5 February 2010

FD was choosen because of location.Not too far from the beaches(800 mtrs) and yet with all facilities. Beautifull resort with excellent service and sharing breakfast with Colobus monkeys. it's a unique experience. Staff is wonderfull .
Excellent destination for families who want peace,bautifull surroundings and yet with the beach within 800 meters.
Good kitchen and nice swimming pools. Cottages very well equipped.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Access road to be renovated
  • Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Horecaconsultants
Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I had the best time of my life. The Hotel was an oasis of peace. The Rooms where nice, the location is beautifull and the service was the best! Thank you so much!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Evelienopvakantie
Liverpool
Reviewed 15 November 2009

Really lovely gem of a hotel with excellent staff and service. A great way to see this part of the world without falling into the tourist trap.

We especially loved the very fresh food and privacy of our villa.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple