“Great food, great location, great ice cream- what else does one want?”
Review of Nomad Restaurant

Nomad Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Diani Beach
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I am a Diani Resident and I go to Nomads regularly. The food is always excellent, the service friendly. The location is one of the best in Diani and although the ice cream is a little expensive (as is Leonardo's) its definitely worth it! The managers are always around to make sure service isproperly supervised. Sushi there is one of my favorites as are the large and yummie pizzas! Seriously, one hasn't been to Diani without visiting Nomads!!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This place is everything that Forty Thieves isn't. (Bearing in mind that Nomad's is more a restaurant and watering hole than a nightspot.) The decor is great, the establishment perched right on the sea. Lots of choices of seating styles, from up at the bar to conventional tables to relaxing low chairs and tables by the water's edge. The menu was terrific, with an excellent selection of of fresh seafood which, for me at least, is one of the main reasons to venture to the Kenyan coast. Innovative choices too -- outstanding smoked sailfish, fresh sashimi and sushi, lobster and prawns in a selection of styles including spicy sauces. Not outrageously expensive either, particularly if you were converting it to Euros, which I imagine a large number of the guests were. Our waiter was informative, confident and charismatic -- when I told him how excellent my smoked fish was, he replied "I told you it would be" -- and indeed he had when I had asked him if he would personally recommend it. A really lovely place, the detailing is excellent, a wonderful place to relax for a drink with friends or a full-blown dining experience. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I am a regular in Nomads, and i was never let down by food or service in the past four years! The location is great, right on one of the most beautiful beaches in Diani. You can choose to seat outside (to avoid on windy days) or inside, scenic view will remain the same.

Their menu is extensive, with a good choice of seafood platters, pasta dishes and a good choice of pizza's (different sizes - go for the large!). On Sunday they also organize a Curry Buffet! Evening buffet is also delicious. Cocktails are also available. A vast selection of Ice cream completes your meal.

Service and manager are always at disposal, even when place is crowded (weekends, especially Sunday at lunch!) Car park is safe and ample.

Will definitely continuing eating here at least once a week.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I am very sorry to have to write this review and am not one who is typically critical. I usually prefer to remain quiet and ignore a place if I feel 'wronged', but in the case of Nomads I feel it is important to say my piece!

The location of this restaurant is superb, and it occupies a large part of Diani's fantastic beach. That is all the place has going for it. My friends and I, party of 15, went to eat there on a Saturday night having been there in the past and had pleasant experiences. I stress the number of people as Mombasa is not bustling with business at this time of the year, as it is a low season and the recent travel advisories on Kenya do not help with the number of visitors...therefore for a restaurant which had 5 other tables occupied with max 4 guests each on a Saturday night, a party of 15 should have been mouthwatering! I am also stressing that it was a Saturday night.

We ordered our food at around 9.30pm after the group had gone through the detailed and extensive menu, and enjoyed a drink or two. The starters came well after 10pm, and shockingly the mains started trickling in one by one (literally!) close to 11pm. For many the food had already gone cold. This is not the worst part - one of the guests, a strict vegetarian, found meat in her food and asked the waiter to speak to the chef to confirm her worst fears! The waiter returned after 5 minutes to inform all that the kitchen had been closed and all the chefs had gone home. Additionally he explained that anyone who may have wanted to order desserts had been time barred as the kitchen was closed!! You may be reading this and wondering whether this actually happened...which I can sadly confirm that it did, word for word!!

We were all left rather bewildered as the guest in question, who had the meat option in the strictly vegetarian dish, was particularly annoyed as the restaurant managers are her personal friends. The rest of us were shocked at the kitchen closed revelation as I for one was timing a dessert which Nomads is famous for, nit to mention that we were paying guests and given what Mombasa is going through one would think that the kitchen being closed by 11pm is totally unreasonable, inexplicable and unacceptable. If the kitchen was going to be closed for whatever reason, one would think that informing the guests and/or writing a notice to that effect would be the bare minimum to expect.

I will never return to Nomads following this experience. It is totally unacceptable for such an establishment to treat visitors in this manner, and sadly a classic lesson in the startling difference between owner managed operations and employee run establishments. Terrible terrible experience!!

1  Thank NIA1011
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have been to nomads several times and it has usually been above average. However, it seems that it is losing something now. We went in a large group on a Saturday night. It was not too busy. After some shuffling around to set our table, we settled down and placed our orders. We finally got served at about 9 45 pm, when a strict vegetarian was served with meat in her pasta dish. On complaining, and much to our shock, we were told that the chef had gone home. We had barely finished our mains and had not even bee naked about desserts which we wouldn't have got anyway. The managers were nowhere to be seen and when we asked to see them, we were told they had also gone home. I felt sorry for the lone waiter who did as much as he could. Clearly, the managers didn't or don't really care. We left very disappointed and my friend left hungry. I want to give go back to see if they will improve. I hope so.