“A blessed start to our honeymoon”

Swahili Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“A blessed start to our honeymoon”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We walked in to Swahili Beach resort without prior booking and immediately loved the place! The askari at the gate named John was kind and detailed in his profiling. Josephine received us and immediately started preparing us a room on short notice, please note we were on our honeymoon. The room was a pleasant suprise! We even extended our stay. Had a wonderful time. The following day, we had a bottle of wine and creamy white forest in our room with a message congratulating us on our marriage! Wow! We were oh so speechless. Alfred at the beach look out was very good at his thing. Nivas was always there to welcome us find out how we were doing. So thankful to the staff who are too eager to help. Asini and Ali (for the best milkshake and stir fry) you guys are awesome! Thanks Phyllis for the really hot tea; We will definately be back. It is not only the place but its the people who make the place! Nothing is new under the sun. Everyday we live, we learn, we grow, we love!
Barakiweni na asanteni!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Have stayed 2 weeks at this hotel in the beginning of January (7 to 21).
This was my first visit to Africa, in my past travel experiences, did visit Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, USA and stayed at AI resorts as Iberostar Grand and Secrets.

After arriving at Mombasa airport at Monday morning (10am), there was a pretty long line waiting to pass the customs area. After leaving the airport at noon there was a 2 hours ride to get to the hotel. If this is your first time to Kenia, be warned that traffic is a mess out there.

Once arrived at the hotel, check-in went very fast and was offered a welcome drink. My room was immediately ready and a lady from PR brought me to the room. Once in the room I got a brief introduction about all the facilities in the room. A few minutes later the bell boy brought my luggage to my room.

The hotel is only a year open and in your welcomes letter the hotel also mentions that they sometimes still experience this. However I did not really noticed this when staying there.

Rooms
----------
My room was on the ground floor in the first building left of the reception.
The room itself was fine nothing spectacular but everything you need is there. There is a large king size bed with mosquito nets, a small table with a chair that can act as a desk. A flat screen on the wall, another small closed that contained the fridge and the safe.

In the bathroom, there is his and her sinks and a large rain shower and a sinked-in batch. Opposite to the sinks there is the toilet.

The temperature of the shower is difficult to control, therefor its easier to only use the cold water which felt already a bit warm. There is already some liquid soap provided but I did not use this as it looked like scented water in stead of soap.

Outside the room, there was a terrace with 2 beach chairs and a small table.

Pool
------
There are about 7 pools shaped in a waterfall architecture. One large pool at the top that then turns into smaller pools by cascading down towards the beach. The large pool has also a pool bar.

Towels are provided by pool guys that are walking around the pool. A nice thing I found was that if you arrived early at the pool (8am) and they were still cleaning the pool they would immediately come to you and bring you some towels without having to ask them anything. You will get 2 towels by person, there is no need for towel cards. In case you need an extra one, you can always ask an additional towel.

Around the main pool there are lots of beach chairs placed under an umbrella.
In the gardens around the pool, there are also chairs placed under the palm tree.

-------
My package was booked in half board and included the breakfast and dinner buffet. Both buffets are served in the same area next to the lobby bar.

The breakfast is served between 7am and 10am. The dinner is between 7pm and 10pm.
Lunch is served between 11am and 5pm at the beach.

The breakfast buffet is serving the same options every days were the dinner buffet has different options every day of the week. If staying for 1 week you will get something else every day but if you are staying longer the dinner buffet will repeat itself.

Breakfast has the following options: fresh juices (orange, tropical, carrot), smoothies, fresh fruits (mango, pine apple, water melon), selection of pastries, egg station, yoghurts, American breakfast options, small selection of meats. There is no selection of small bread; only thick slices to make a toast. Another thing that was not at the breakfast is slices of cheese.

For lunch, you would need to order something from the cart selection. There are different kinds of pizzas, burgers, salads, meat options to choice from.

On Sunday evening, they changed the location from the indoor buffet to an outdoor buffet at the swimming pool. Not sure when they do this as they only did this for the first Sunday and not the second.

Beach
---------
The beach area consists of 2 areas a public and a private area. The private area has the sun loungers on them and the palm trees are providing shade in this area.
If you are planning for a walk on the beach or for a swim in the ocean be prepared to get immediately the company of the "beach boys".

Swimming in the ocean is difficult as the ocean is really sensitive for the tides and there are a lot of rocky places and seaweed. At some moments the ocean pulled itself back for more than 100m. Therefor I would not recommend this for a beach vacation.

----------
During my 2 weeks I did not encounter any problems with the service, people were always very kind and never had to wait very long to get my order. One day the lunch took a bit longer as on other days and they brought out some fresh chips to apology for the delay.

The room was cleaned well every day in the morning and in the evening the mosquito net was put over the bed each day by the staff.

Evening
----------
In the evening there is no entertainment foreseen for the guests, the only alternative at the hotel is the beach bar or the lobby bar.

Overall it was a nice first experience in Kenia and the hotel is definitely a recommendation worth to others.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MyHolidayTime
Nairobi
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed at Swahili beach for four nights and as soon as you enter the hotels lobby you are taken back by the excellent views of the sea. The hotels and rooms design is spectacular and gives you a truly Swahili feel. We particularly found the varying depth of the cascading pools spot on, as the pool next to the sea was the right height for our little ones. If you however want to swim in the sea you may be a little disappointed due the sandy beach turning into coral. Overall we had a pleasant stay with only one issue being that the hot water in our room never managed to keep a constant temperature whilst being used. The hotel were aware of this problem and hopefully it is resolved now.

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior delux which had an awesome view of the sea.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Aman B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Swahili Beach is an amazing place to stay on the South Coast, with beautiful rooms, great service, great food all set in an amazing Swahili ambiance. Stayed there for 4 nights in Jan 2013 and enjoyed every minute. The kids loved the 7 cascading pools. Only downside is the beach had too much coral, which made swimming in the ocean difficult and there was too much weed, which I believe is seasonal... it must be noted though the hotel management had people clearing the weed every morning. Meeting the owners of the hotel was a big bonus as they really looked after us during our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ravinder S
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This place is quite the scene. Lovely upscale swahili style chique rooms and the swimming pools are endless, with one pool flowing into another until you get to the beach. Lovely. Wish there was more beach though.

Room Tip: All the rooms are really nice. Choose one that is closest to where you want to be most though, becau...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HealthRetreatsAfrica
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I think this place did not disappoint us.... Good hospitality from the beginning....the pools are amazing with good service ....food was buffet style with variety.... Chef was friendly.... Overall excellent place for peace and quiet and would definitely recommend it... Keep up the good work!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Farush
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Summary: Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay at Swahili Beach Hotel!

Positives - Gorgeous hotel/pools/rooms, good facilities, good quality food, some v helpful staff members;
Negatives - needs a higher level of service overall, patchy wifi and potential shower/air con issues

General: The hotel has beautiful architecture and is designed very well. There are a series of different pools with an area overlooking the beach. In the daytime, we enjoyed the choice of relaxing by the pool, or on the beachfront. Although the sunbeds are not actually on the beach, they are on a sandy area surrounded by palm trees just in front of the beach, where there is breeze from the sea with a seaview. The stretch of beach immediately in front of the hotel is covered with seaweed which is unfortunate as it would look far prettier without the seaweed. The water however is gorgeous and warm and you can still swim in it.

The hotel also has various facilities including a gym (has a treadmill, cross trainer, bikes, toning machines and weights) and helpful trainer - he happily showed me how to use the machines and gave me advice on using the weights whilst I was waiting for a machine.

It also has two bars - a smart one inside near the reception, and the outdoor beachbar which is more informal.

There is wifi but this was a little patchy and I found it to be quite slow.

Service: The staff generally seemed very eager to help - particularly helpful staff include Julius at the reception desk, Abubakar (Nicholas) at guest relations and Mapera who was one of the chefs. I really enjoyed my stay in Diani and actually decided to extend my trip by 5 days as it was so great. Abubakar did a fantastic job of changing both my international and domestic flights which I would have struggled to do myself.

Despite the above, my main issue with the hotel was with the service: although individual staff members were working very hard, it took a long time in the mornings to get tea/coffee, and to get shown to a clean table/to get a table cleared once the previous guests had finished on it. The management really needs to increase the number of staff in the restaurant, especially at breakfast time, as they all seemed rushed off their feet.

Rooms: We stayed in the deluxe rooms which were luxurious as we hoped, spacious and well laid out. The ones on the lower floors have an inside seating area at the back, and the one I originally stayed in on a higher level had an outside area with lovely views and outdoor sunbeds. The TV has a good selection of channels and I enjoyed being able to listen to music as I got ready. The beds are very comfortable. The first room I stayed in had an air con unit that was not very strong and did not fully cool the room on its lowest temperature setting. The other two rooms my family were staying in had more powerful air con. I raised this issue at reception and was able to change room that evening to a room where the air con worked properly.

Bathroom: The bathroom is well laid out and looks stunning. One issue was that the water in the shower went from cold to hot and so I did not enjoy my showers as much as I should have.

Food: The quality of the food was fantastic. For breakfast, there was a huge range available including pancakes, omlettes, waffles, bread, fruits, a smoothie station, South Indian station and more. For dinner, there was a pasta station, daily special station and a buffet with wide range. Some days in the restaurant were very busy so our party was not always at the table at the same time as some people were queueing for food whilst others were eating. Although I thought the food was very good, I would have preferred it at dinner if we could all eat together. We ate lunch several days at the beachside bar. - this has a food wire oven with good quality pizzas and the veggie burgers were delicious.

The hotel also offers teatime between 4-5pm at the pool. This was a really nice treat - they have pancakes, finger sandwiches and tea and coffee, and this is free for all guests.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family