“A hidden rustic gem right by the Indian Ocean!”
Review of Colobus Shade

Colobus Shade
Ranked #11 of 41 Restaurants in Diani Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Colobus Shade is a sea food restaurant located south coast diani beach direct to indian ocean, we are 20 meters behind the main restaurant, we offer delicious sea food.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Definitely a must for seafood lovers! In this unique little restaurant, you get to eat the most delicious grilled seafood under the African sky & right in front of the Ocean. The menu is not that vast, but the seafood is super fresh (being the restaurant located next to the local fisher men's spot), portion are quite generous and cheap ( a portion of grilled octopus/calamari/ fish + Rosemary potatoes, tomato sauce, coconut rice, coleslaw and chapati- basically a full meal- is only 700 ksh, slightly less than 6 €!). Sometimes, something is missing from the menu, but it's because everything is fresh :-)
It's very rustic and basic, but I find it extremely cosy and romantic....definitely worthed more than one visit!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I ate supper here last night under the bright stars of the Milky Way. We had prawns and squid, beautifully cooked along with salad, rice and potatoes. The portions were very generous and all of it very tasty. There was probably enough for four people even though we were only two.
The staff were attentive but not overly so and the ambience of the place was great.
Excellent value for money. I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Came here many times while staying at Diani Beach. Really nice spot overlooking the beautiful white sandy beach. Often Vervet monkeys and Colobus monkeys playing in nearby trees. Seafood is good, often sides are missing from the menu. Family who own the restaurant are lovely and worth supporting. Last time I went they were finishing off the new restaurant area which is a little back from the beach (with not so good views), hopefully they keep some tables near the sand too!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Pro:
-The setting couldn't be better. A beautiful view to the Beach, an old fisherboat and lots of crabs running around.
-everything is fresh and traditionally cooked on a jiko or over charcoals
-the service and the restaurant is very authentic and not the usual touristic make-up.
Con:
-There is only one "Non-sea food" dish.
-If you order a lobster, you get the most tiny things you have ever seen. In every European restaurant this is not called a lobster, rather a bigger crab. ;)
-there is no good lightening, the toilet is a hole in the bottom 500m away - the waitress gives you a mobile phone as a torch
-it is poor in proportion to the price. I cannot understand the good ratings here at TripAdvisor, if you look at how much the dishes cost compared to what it offers. Shaking tables, no lights, bad toilets, small seafood portions ...

I recommend this place for some drinks before dining out at Bidi Badu, African Pot or any other qualitiy, best-value restaurant without this fantastic ocean view.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We ate here twice during our stay: once for an evening meal and once for breakfast. For the evening meal I had lobster and crab and my wife had a fish fillet. The lobster/crab was more expensive than the other dishes and, if eating there again I'd go for something different. The extra cost wasn't worth it as there were cheaper and better looking options. The lobster was good, there wasn't much meat to the crab - and my wife's fish was much better than my choice! For breakfast we had everything on the menu! Mind you, the breakfast menu in its entirety is as follows: Coffee or tea, Toast. Eggs. And that, my friends, is that! We ordered scrambled eggs which, considering we were the only ones there took a lonnng time coming. Still, the view is beautiful and we weren't in a hurry and it was good people watching for a while. We had convinced ourselves that when they did arrive they would have been cooked to within an inch of their lives - but they were amazing. The bread is sweeter than bread in the UK but both it and the eggs were awesome! Cheap too. Well worth it if you're OK with the wonderfully limited menu. The lady who runs it sat with us for a while on both visits which was really nice as we got to know a little about her and the local area.