“Relaxing, cheap, and super fun!”
Review of Diani Backpackers

Diani Backpackers
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hostel owners Louis and Kevin are the coolest people ever. Louis rocking bod and sexy abs made the beautiful setting even better and he also gave me free shots and his secret stash of ice cream. We booked 3 nights in the tents but we were rained out the first night so for the same price he had us sleep in the lovely dorms with the third night free! Every night is a party and every day is so relaxing. It is a super quick walk to the beautiful beach and the food at the hostel is really good and really cheap. There is a volleyball court, pool, jacuzzi, wifi area, bar, hammocks, and tons more. :)

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I loved staying here!! The moment I got here I felt very welcomed and there was a very fun and relaxed vibe. It's an awesome place to meet other travellers, and the outside bar and pool are great for lounging, partying, and getting to know everyone. I came for two days in January and had such a great time I had to come back! The owners are amazing and definitely know how to have fun. They're also really accommodating and helped us plan different activities during the day. We did some snorkelling at wasini island and had a blast! It's a great location, a short walk to the beach which is perfect for relaxing during the day after a night out. It's a perfect getaway, I would definitely recommend South Coast Backpackers to anyone!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2014

It is affordable and the best place to stay around here. It is the best for meeting people. I tried to leave three times and kept on extending my stay. I did not want to leave! The parties are nice, but you can just chill as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Grojap
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed with my boyfriend for 10 days here! It was great - everyone was super friendly and enjoying meeting lots of travellers!

We booked the outside private and personally felt it was over priced as we had A LOT of bugs in our room. I do like insects.. but not when I am sleeping and they are crawling over me haha. It wasn't very clean either and the kitchen smelt and had a constant bad tummy.

This is Kenya though and a backpackers.. so it was completely what I expected so wasn't disappointed and really just made the most of the weather and the beach : )

One thing that annoyed me was when It came to paying the bill they decided to change the price of food for our stay so bumped it up. Thought this was a bit rude!! and didn't leave a great impression.

The owner Louis is very nice though!! and kind hearted!!

Other than that great location and friendly people : )

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
travelbuff2012, Manager at Diani Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Ruby,
we are glad you and your boyfriend had such a great time at SCB, and decided to stay for so long !
I am sorry you found there were many bugs in your room. Bugs can be a nuisance in Kenya. This is why we provide all of our beds with box mosquito nets, which are repaired/replaced as needed. We also have the grounds sprayed monthly to help curb the amount of bugs. That being said, we are in Equatorial Africa, and some bugs are a part of life here.
We knowthat couples like their privacy, so our policy is that we don't clean/change sheets/towels in private rooms unless asked to do so. Next time you come, if you have any issues with your room, please let any member of the management, or staff know, and we will happily help you.
I am not quite sure what you mean by bad tummy, but all of the food we cook in the kitchen is prepared fresh daily, and to the highest of western standards. We have never had any complaints about taste or quality before. We have a small kitchen, which churns out meals from 7 am – 9pm daily, and sometimes it gets so busy the kitchen staff needs a little time to clean the dirty dishes. This could be the cause of the smells you refered to ? The kitchen, and whole house are cleaned daily by our wonderful ladies Damaris and Anna.
Finally for the prices. All of our prices (food/bev/accomodation) are printed and fixed. Our profit margins are very low, so we, like any other business, must raise our prices occasionally (we have lots of bills to pay!). This happens about once a year, between march and may. I am sorry this left a bad impression on you. As you mentioned, Louis is very nice, and so is everyone else on our staff. We are always aproachable. Next time, if you have any issue with your bill at checkout, please come talk to one of us, and we can review your bill together.
Thanks, and hope to see you again soon,
Justin

Reviewed 28 March 2014

My 21 year old son and I had an amazing time during our 11 day stay at South Coast Backpackers.

Even though I was the oldest person there by many years, I still had a great time. Everyone was very nice and they remembered your name after the first time talking with them.

I met many new people from around the world and made new friends while staying there. I will say if you are not young at heart you may want to consider one of the other more stuffy places to stay.

There is lots of fun to be had while staying there. Kevin, Louis, and Ester are very helpful. If you need a ride, reservation, want to know where a great place to eat, go skydiving, or making reservations for an excursion or safari, they will gladly assist you. I ended up getting my Scuba certifications while there.

There was lots of fun to be had for all and by all, even for an old guy like me!

Room Tip: Most rooms are dorm style but they do have two rooms with a queen sized bed and private bathroom wit...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I first visited South Coast Backpackers in August 2013 and have never looked back! I initially came when I was working about an hour away in a small village...it is the perfect weekend getaway as you can come and eat the delicious food (specials have included freshly caught seafood, bbq, creamy pasta etc), enjoy some drinks and a party but also just chill out and relax in the beautiful grounds.

The dorms and private rooms are clean and spacious with everything you need (fans, nets etc.) The pool is so lovely you can easily forget that the Indian Ocean is 5 minutes away and enjoy swimming here instead! The location is perfect, right by the beach, a good choice of bars and restaurants nearby and 2 good supermarkets.

The owners are very friendly and helpful and you will feel right at home by the end of your first day. The dogs are very cute (Thatcher is the best one, obviously).

Having traveled to many hostels in Africa I am yet to find another one that is as good as South Coast Backpackers. You will leave this place with some fantastic memories and a smile on your face.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bn1_adventurer
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I truly miss this hostel in all of my heart! It was one of my greatest moment of my life! Thank you French guys you're simply the best :-D
Thanks for the best brownie I've ever tasted.. Miss all the good parties at the pool and all the bars!
This is to your reader! If you wanna have the best moment of you entire life, then go to the South Coast Backpackers! You will never ever regret it and if you do I'll pay your tap!
French guys you owe me a free shot!! I'll be back ;-)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends