“A great affordable international hotel on the stunning Kenyan coast.”

Southern Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Hotel and every member of staff have been first class. Our room 346 is amazing and the food is more than adequate with something for everyone except the chip and burger brigade who should stick to Western Supermare or Benidorm. Complaints and suggestions are dealt with effectively.
Only blot on this tropical gem have been a couple from Reading this last fortnight who have made me ashamed to be English. Shame on them for the way they have spoken to staff and complained about everything. I anticipate they may leave a review soon so don't even bother to acknowledge it. Southern Palms is a great holiday venue and we hope to return. The Dixons from North Devon.

• Stayed: July 2013
southernpalmsbeach, Guest Relations Manager at Southern Palms Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Mike and Jacquie,

We were extremely pleased to learn that you found Southern Palms such a
great holiday venue ­ in your words 'a tropical gem' ­ and that the room,
the food and every member of staff were first class.

However, we were disturbed to read your comments regarding some other
guests. If their behaviour was as you say, then we would have appreciated
very much if you had brought this matter to the attention of the management.
Then immediate action would have been taken to resolve the situation. As for
your remarks about any possible review they may submit, then it is our
policy to read every one and respond to the comments therein.

We really do appreciate your views and look forward to welcoming you back to
Southern Palms.

Guest Relations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,408)

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We came here May this year and we really enjoyed our stay. The set out of the hotel feels authentic and comfortable and the room was nice. It was a nice touch that the staff would come to your room, turn down the bed, unravel the mosquito net and put a chocolate on your pillow every night whilst your down for dinner! The food was really nice with different fresh fish and various themes each night. They have and indian corner every night which was really tasty and full of flavour. We really enjoyed the show cooking as the staff interact with you and were very funny.

We went to the bar and grill restaurant a few times, VERY tasty. It was a lovely atmosphere being out by the pool and it was fun being brought the meat and fish on big skewers. The meat was so delicious.
We also went to the Italian which actually wasn’t quite as good.

Every member of staff we came across were friendly. Hussain, one of the customer relations team members, was great. He was always about talking to customers and couldn’t do enough to help make your holiday the best it could be. He and Omar took us out with to see the Kenyan night life which was great fun and they made us feel safe the whole time.
Lugwe, one of the pool bar guys made me smile every day. He was so friendly and always made the effort to come and see you and have a quick chat.
I didn’t catch his name but there was a barman at the second bar near the pool who was very smart looking andy made the best cocktails!
Out holiday rep was Mercy. She was fabulous, one of the most energetic friendly warming people I have every met! She helped us to organise all of our excursions whilst we were there and was keen to hear how we got on afterwards. She is and absolute asset to Thompson!

The only thing i did not enjoy about this hotel was the beach boys. We felt that they were intimidating and meant that we didn’t go onto the beach very much whilst we were there.

Thank you to everyone who made our stay so great!!
Kristina & Matt

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
southernpalmsbeach, Guest Relations Manager at Southern Palms Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Kristinahurst,

Jambo!!! and thank you for the nice review on Southern palms, all the staff remember you with a smile and were very happy to hear from you.
We are grateful for all your kind words of praise for the delicious food you had in our various restaurants especially the Indian corner and the famous grill restaurant.
The staff also are extremely over joyed that you remember each one of them by name especially Lugwe..
We are happy that you enjoyed your holiday with us and we look forward to your next visit again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2013

After a long and tiring journey from Edinburgh (24 hours) we were so relieved to reach Moi airport and quickly past immigration - we had multiple visas and collected our baggage and met by our friend to take us to our second home

We had an amazing welcome from Rose at reception and all reception, a porter brought out two fresh garland of flowers for around our necks and the notice board was written up welcome home Anne and Jim - 38 repeat guests.

We were offered breakfast but went to the room - all paper work had been done for us and it was so lovely to open the balcony doors to see the tide roaring in- the palms swaying and the beautiful basket of flowers arranged by management and the welcome home card.

It was roasting hot but we lay on the bed intending to unpack but I WAS SHATTERED AS WAS MY HUSBAND and lo and behold we both fell asleep which is not like us!!

However I was still in recovery and found the journey tiring this time.

I woke at noon and roused my husband and we unpacked and went to the Boriti bAR FOR LUNCH AFTER GETTING SETTLED ON THE SUN BEDS WE NORMALLY HAVE and the beautiful flowers from the gardeners on the table with cloth as per usual.

It took us a few days to get settled but lovely to see Neils,Betty - JIM HAS SAID YOU AND BETTY COULD TALK FOR SCOTLAND - one day he told me we had been chatting for two hours!!!

I think we just click Betty and may I mention a whole lot of faces still there - Defence who looked after us at the Boriti - Esther in he main restaurant - Lillian for taking the orders and Alias in the main dining room and all the others I have not mentioned - Lois, Nancy and to Nora in the beauty salon who gave me an excellent pedicure and hair style.

Islam and crew you are doing a god job with the animation team and it was good to see Juma whom we missed last time.

Paul I hope you have my special cocktail waiting for me when we return!!!! And for naming it after me. ( I think we shall keep that a secret!!)

The rooms were kept immaculate - fresh sheets and towels each day.

The pool was kept spotless by the pool guys and the sand was raked every day.

The gardeners are always cutting he grass and tending to he beautiful flowers.

It was a pleasure to be at 'our second home once again'!!!!! No complaints whatsoever.

I always love my breakfasts - the chefs do my bacon,eggs and sausages fresh and always a waiter was on hand to take my plate to my table

Also plenty fresh juice and fruits and a big thank you to Geoffrey who did the most amazing carvings of fruit.

Although AI we did go out and visited various restaurants and hotels and on the Saturday The founder of the orphanage we support in the Shimba Hills came to meet us in her matatu bus and this time the 'boys' had their turn to meet us.

We were fortunate to take out 50 kilos of excess charity baggage from the airline and 120 kilos flown over by DHL. There is a separate review on this pleasure we had spending the day with the children and also seeing the children from the villages who now are taken for private tuition at the orphanage.

I asked Betty if the chef could bake a 6 kilo cake as knew there would be more children and he certainly surpassed himself as the cake was huge and beautifully iced with Anne and Jim loves you all in icing.

My how these children have grown up and some are young ladies and men now.

We had a lovely lunch and interacted with the children and saw the new chicken coop being built and new classrooms and showers and toilets being built.

We were debating on safari and decided to go to Tsavo East and West (separate reviews on these lodges)

As we did not make it out in September last year due to my condition the staff - Betty you manage all correctly put on a birthday spread with decorations etc and beautiful cake.

Thank you all for all you did. Especially the card from every department in the hotel signed by all. That brought a lump to my throat!!!!

Neils, we enjoyed our usual chats and Betty - well what can I say except we are 'naughty' when we chat alone!!!

I and my husband cannot fault this hotel whatsoever and the whole of the staff asante sana for making our stay so welcoming and comfortable and we shall see you all soon god willing!!!!!!

Personally we feel this is the best run hotel on the South Coast and the little touches make us part of the .crew'!!!!!

Soon be our 39th time folks so be ready!!!!!

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a sea view room

malaika

Hello dear Angel,

As always, it was a real joy to welcome you back to your second home for the
38th time, and to know that you and Jim feel that Southern Palms is the best
run hotel on the south coast.

All members of staff, from Rose and the team at reception; everyone in the
restaurants ­ Defence at the Boriti bar and Esther and Elias in the main
dining room; Nancy and Lois in the boutique shop; the animation team, pool
attendants and the girls at the beauty salon; the housekeeping team and the
gardeners were all delighted to see you again.

The chefs were more than happy to bake the huge cake for the orphanage and
we all admire the work you are doing for the children there.

It gave me great pleasure to organise your birthday spread and to know it
gave you such enjoyment.

We were pleased to know that you had a safe journey back to Scotland considering your delicate condition with the long flights, and now
your family here at Southern Palms all look forward to greeting you on your
next big visit.

THE 39TH VISIT !!!! I still do consider getting you a job as my assistant, then you will be a full time Kenyan.
Pass our love to Jim and see you soon.

Betty,

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed here as an ad-on to a safari visiting Amboselli, Masai Mara and lake Naivasha. Unfortunately we stayed at the end of the rainy season in early May 2013, when the weather was not so good, it rained every day we were there. However, as a result, we got to do what we had intended, and that was to chill out . This was the only disappointment as the staff at the hotel were all very friendly and could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable. The food was good and all the amenities were as expected. The only thing I would warn of (and nothing to do with the hotel) were the beach boys trying to sell you things at every opportunity once you set foot on the beach. All in all a very good spot to spend a few relaxing days.

Room Tip: don't go in the rainy season if you want to spend some time on the beach
1  Thank lesparry_12

Lesparry_12

Dear Lesparry,

We were so happy that you managed to keep smiling despite the daily rainfall
and everyone appreciates your kind remarks about the the staff and the
quality of the food.

We would be happy to welcome you back to Southern Palms, and we'll have
words with the weather man to fix it for you to enjoy a longer break without
having to dodge the raindrops.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

My brother and I took our parents back to Mombasa for the first time in 43 years and chose Southern Palms as the beach resort for 2 weeks. All I can say was what a great choice it was. From the moment we arrived staff were happy and extremely helpful. The rooms were clean and very spacious. Upon arrival we were shown to adjacent rooms and settled in. It was until we arrived for dinner that evening that the staff really began exceling themselves. Smiles from the waiters and the upmost politeness were shown by all and then Leonard Maitha came into our lives. What an individual - always smiling and had something funny to say keeping us very amused through out dinner. Kamal at the nan station showed excellent politeness and courtesy to us bringing fresh nan to our table. The pool area (or areas) is amazing and this is where we met the second individual that we will never forget - Abduba Galago who arranged the BBQ on the beach and a birthday cake for my father for his 70th. Once again an truly amazing individual.
Overall the resort was amazing, the pools are regularly cleaned and there is always someone around to assist with sun loungers and towels. The beach too is very nice and clean. I am unable to find any negatives about my stay at Southern Palms and will most definelty recommend it to all people. The five restaraunts offer a great variety of food types that will cater for all people although the Lebanese restaraunt needs to be booked 24 hours earlier.
Daily housekeeping was of a very high standard and Alex carries on with his duties with a smile and is always looking courteous
The evening entertainment is varied throughout the week and this includes a Snake Show (with a rock python, Masai dancers and acrobats amongst other things and for those interested their is dancing till late
Overall you will not be disappointed with a stay at Southern Palms whether you are a couple on a honeymoon, a fmily with young children or just a group of friends

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Fauji786

Greetings Fauji.

We were so happy to learn that Southern Palms was the hotel of choice for
your parents' nostalgic return to Mombasa after 43 years. We are sure that
they will have seen many changes during the intervening years.

It was gratifying to hear that you felt that the hotel would be a great
choice for guests of all age groups and that you will strongly recommend us.

Everyone feels proud to have contributed to your feeling of well-being and
that the surroundings added greatly to the holiday experience.

All the staff pride themselves on their high standards of service and
courtesy and your 'dynamic duo' Leonard (he is still smiling and joking)
Kamal and Abuba (the king of the beach barbecues) are so happy to have
served you, as is Alex and the housekeeping team.

Please greet your parents for us. We look forward to welcoming you back to
Southern Palms in the future.

Best regards,

Guest Relations.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We spent 2 weeks of June at this hotel on our first visit to Kenya. Albeit, it was low season and the guest numbers were low it made for a more relaxed stay as there was no waiting for amenities etc. In addition, the customer service was very good and all the staff were very freindly...nothing was to much trouble. The room could do with updating, but they are clean and do the job , made more special with a great (upgraded) sea view. Main food restaurant had wide selection of food and the grill and Italian restaurant made a good alternative dining option. Entertainment, the professional acts were good i.e. dancers and the band. Only downside, was the of signing for drinks even though we were AI and who can forget the inconvenience of the beach boys!!! That aside, overall I have no problem recommending this Hotel.

Room Tip: Cost to upgrade but you will have a great sea view from high floor room number 336.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterG56

PeterG54

Hello Peter,

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that the
staff service and high quality of the meals contributed to making your first
Kenya experience such a success.

Your comments have been noted but we would like to point out that signing
for drinks ­ even for guests staying all-inclusive ­ is the accepted
practice in all coastal hotels. We know you will appreciate that this is the
only way an accurate stock check can be maintained.

We understand the inconvenience caused by the beach boys and we have made
representations to the tourist police in an attempt to resolve this matter.
Despite your having had this problem, we were delighted to learn that you
will recommend Southern Palms as the hotel to visit. Asante sana.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

So this has been the third time i have visited this hotel, and certainly not the last. I love Kenya and its people it is the most beautiful country on the planet and the people are special.I always stay in this hotel as since the first time i visited in 2006 i have had such a good welcome at the hotel and made such good friends with the staff over the years that i feel as much at home in this hotel as in my own hometown.The actual hotel has a great layout the pools are massive and so much room to laze around in, the swim up bars are great and i love to chill out by them and chat to my friend Anderson,sharing stories about things we have done and seen. The animation team are a great bunch of lads and lasses and will always jump in the pool for a game of water polo or some table tennis etc, they like to teach me swahili phrases as well.The security guys are a great laugh always feel safe in the hotel with them,especially my old friend Peter Mutya or Punda Milia as i call him haha.The food is decent and there is a massive choice of places to eat, a rooftop italian, a poolside eatery, a main restaurant and a BBQ type carvery thing which is awesome. make a point of befriending the staff they love to do extra things to help you out on your holiday ;)
When you arrive at the hotel at the start of your trip you most likely will get met by omar make sure you have a good banter with him hes really funny to talk to and will make you feel at home.
The beach here is awesome and golden and makes you think your in the carribean, the sea is so warm and clear. you can do fishing and scuba diving from the hotel area as well which is really decent. its actually a PADI 5 star resort for diving and is a lot cheaper than learning in other countries as well.
What made my holiday most was Hussein Popote, an absolute top guy, i was looking for a kenya football shirt but not a cheap knock off like the beach boys sell and he actually went into Mombasa city on his day off and brought me one back, this is service that is well beyond what i would normally expect from a hotel.All holiday he helped us with things for our holiday, told us where the best clubs were, taught us to use the little minibuses and motorbikes for transport to save money as taxis are quite expensive, and generally advised us about anything we wanted to do, in fact on the plane home we made a point of telling Thomson that he was more useful than any tour guide id ever had. The hotel has a beauty salon upstairs and the girls upstairs are such a good laugh, always coming round the pool chatting to us in the day, we had a few massages and they were great never felt rushed. id totally recommend this hotel to anybody and id like to say to the owners of the hotel that i love this place will be back again soon as i can its like my second home x

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking beach are lush
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Adb28179

Hi adb28179, your most welcome comments have been circulated to all members
of staff and they were delighted to have played a part in making your
holiday memorable.

Your kind words made us all so happy that Southern Palms gives to the
feeling of being at home. Everyone remembers you very well and all look
forward to your next visit.

Betty