We stayed at the hotel from 11 Feb through to 25 Feb. Having painstakingly scoured Trip Advisor in order to really research a good hotel. It soon became apparent that the time spent was worthwhile. Southern Palms Beach Resort turned out to be an inspired choice and we were not disappointed.
The journey to Kenya was aided positively by our flight with Thomson's when we found that we were travelling on their newly purchased Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, what a great trip. However, you are still tired when you reach your destination but that tiredness soon evaporates when you are welcomed and checked in by Betty and her reception staff. Thank you all, you are a credit to the hotel and deserve the plaudits.
We settled in very well and quickly, the room (370) was a corner room and therefore nice and spacious. We soon felt 'at home'. Many thanks to Isaac for keeping our room spotless.
I'm conscious that I don't want to repeat everything that other contributors have already stated about Southern Palms. The complex itself is extremely well kept and spotlessly clean, it is easy to quickly navigate your way around and you soon become aware that the staff are the most polite, friendly and helpful that we have ever encountered on all of our travels. You soon become acquainted with the phrases 'Jambo', and 'Hakuna Matata'. Really polite welcomes and well meant.
The food was acceptable, with breakfast and the snack bar excelling, however, the restaurant food for the evening meal lacked a tad in variety for vegetarian choice. This is not meant as a massive criticism, it is just an area we feel could be enhanced. Nice variety of sweets and an abundance of great fruit at all meals times.
All of the staff are brilliant. If they can be of help they will go out of their way to do so, the entertainment staff enjoy themselves and their enthusiasm is infectious. Having said that, if you don't want to take part in the activities they don't hassle you which is great. Banter with them is fun. We recommend highly the morning guided beach walk, really good. Special mention and thanks to Hussain, Saleem, Dinnah, Lugwa, Julius, Robert and Ali. Also to Samuel the chef who always liked to speak to us individually about our meals. David the pizza chef made the tastiest pizzas. The shop was very nice and Nancy and her co-worker were very welcoming, even if we just want to browse. Dominic at the cocktail bar makes the most amazing cocktails.
Security at the resort is superb and the personnel are also very very good.
There are 3 variety of monkeys which freely roam about the place. They are quite friendly however watch your food on your balconies and keep your doors shut.
However, there are a couple of real negatives from our perspective which we feel the hotel needs to look into if they are going to enhance guests stays, as follows:
a) WiFi/Internet access is advertised but virtually non existent. Why the hotel management do not address this issue is beyond me and badly lets them down. Most travellers now want and need access to their loved ones whilst away and access to Skype is generally a must. This was totally impossible and as such it is wrong that the hotel promote the availability of WiFi or the Internet. Please Please look into this.
b) Beauty Parlour. This operation is unfortunately not owned by the hotel and as such out of their control. My wife found the treatments to be expensive and not always at the advertised price. Treatments are offered and booked at one price, the treatment is given and then suddenly a higher price charged.!!!! Not very ethical at all and not isolated to my wife, we found another guest that had encountered the same sharp practice. Our advice, stay away from the beauty parlour.
We booked a 3 day safari through Julius T Safari's, a local company not associated with the tour company's. Really good service and we recommend them highly, please look at their reviews.
Would we return to Southern Palms -definite Yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This dramatic hotel with its fantastic pools and beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax after a safari… or simply visit to relax! The warm and very African feel of the hotel with comfortable rooms, well appointed bathrooms and selection of restaurants offers guests plenty of places to lounge in the sun and almost as many shady spots to enjoy a bit of a breeze and a good book. All rooms have quiet, split unit air conditioners, televisions, mini fridges and coffee and tea making facilities. There is a safe (chargeable) in each room and a business center located in the main building with internet or wifi access in public areas. The drama of the huge, traditional makuti (thatched) roof in the main restaurant offers the Chef a terrific showcase for a varied selection of local and international dishes on the buffet or you could indulge at one of the a la carte restaurants (chargeable) for a special occasion or just a quiet evening for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Southern Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel Diani
- Southern Palms Beach Diani