Hi all.. I thought I should write a review of the hotel as I was one of the many people on this site who were concerned about the stories of food posioning etc before we left. We were pretty open minded as this was our first trip to Kenya and we were not really sure what to expect but i have to say the whole experience was amazing.
The hotel was really nice. 4star??? Well not by London Standards but then we werent in London! It was kept amazingly clean by a host of workers (so poorly paid you couldnt help but feel sorry for them) ALL the staff could not have been more friendly from the reception, waiters to the pool guys and security staff they all had a constant smile on their face, always wanting to chat and constantly greeted you with a "JAMBO!!"
The rooms were comfortable, clean and functional without being luxurious the bed was little hard for our liking but certainly nothing to complain about.. Having a sweet tooth we particularily enjoyed the complimentary chocolate eclair sweet left on our pillow each night.. lol..
The swimming pools are amazing, the largest we have ever seen at a hotel and the swim up bar was a god send in the hot weather.
The food was good, we were a little cautious because of the comments on here but I have to say we did not have one bad meal, though be warned if you dont like spicy food you may find your choice a little bit limited. Both the Grill and the Italian restaurants were included in the All Inclusive and made a nice change from the buffet.
I would definately recommend the all inclusive package as the drinks were not cheap and I think we got better value for money on all inclusive.
The location of the hotel on the white sandy beach was perfect the sea was nice and warm if a little bit rough at times but it was fun playing in the waves! The beach boys can be a pain and do get a bit tiresome but you have to remember these people live an existence that we wouldnt be able to dream of so you can hardly blame them for trying to make a living... We did actually buy some bits from them, you just have to be firm and not afraid to walk away if they ask ridiculous amounts (which they do!!) The hotel security guards are constantly on patrol and not afraid to tell the beach boys to bog off if they think they are annoying you.
Monkeys!! These were one of the main attractions for us, they were often running about the hotel grounds, on the balcony of your room and even inside if they thought food was about!! One even stole my girlfriends packet of rolos from the table in the bar!! Although he did leave her the last one!! haha.
The weather was good, we had a few days of rain but nothing to really worry us we just chilled in the bar reading and drinking. We spent 4 days on a safari in Tsavo east and west which was absolutely amazing we managed to see the big 5 and lots more, we will definately be back. The tents at Severin Sea Camp were superb and the view at Kilaguni was simply breathtaking.
All in all we could not recommend Kenya and Southern Palms enough. We both feel like we have had the holiday of a lifetime and now have the challenge of how to top it next year.
Anyone who is going to this hotel please ignore the negative reviews, sure some people have bad experiences whereever you go but in the two weeks we spent at the hotel we did not see or hear of any serious problems at all.
I have some more photos that I will try to put up at some point but should anyone have any particular questions or requests please do not hesitate to email me firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This dramatic hotel with its fantastic pools and beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax after a safari… or simply visit to relax! The warm and very African feel of the hotel with comfortable rooms, well appointed bathrooms and selection of restaurants offers guests plenty of places to lounge in the sun and almost as many shady spots to enjoy a bit of a breeze and a good book. All rooms have quiet, split unit air conditioners, televisions, mini fridges and coffee and tea making facilities. There is a safe (chargeable) in each room and a business center located in the main building with internet or wifi access in public areas. The drama of the huge, traditional makuti (thatched) roof in the main restaurant offers the Chef a terrific showcase for a varied selection of local and international dishes on the buffet or you could indulge at one of the a la carte restaurants (chargeable) for a special occasion or just a quiet evening for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com, Booking.com, Hotelopia, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Southern Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel Diani
- Southern Palms Beach Diani