Southern Palms Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
AfroChic Diani(Diani Beach)
View Hotel
Diani Bay Resort(Diani Beach)
View Hotel
Morning Star Resort(Diani Beach)
  • Breakfast included
1,415 results
All reviewsthe grillmain restaurantbeach boyshalf boardall inclusive packagewater volleyballnyama chomaanimation teamf b managergreat holidayday safarievening entertainmentmasai dancerschoice of restaurantsbeach barroom attendantindian food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 February 2010

This is a lovely hotel the staff are always very friendly,cheery and polite and always willing to help you cant fault them.The decor in the reception and downstairs is very good and decorated in authentic African style.The swimming pool is vast and there was always enough room for swimming.The room was always kept clean and tidy,and when our kettle broke there was someone there to fix it straight away.The entertainment was ongoing there was always something to do during the day-water aerobics,water polo,volleyball etc.if a little noisy at times.The entertainment was ok during the evening too always something to keep you amused.
The beach was perfect and we did not find any problems at all with the beach vendors.They are not allowed to approach you whilst you are on the sunbeds and they was always a security guard to keep things in check.
However,there were a few niggly little things that could have been different that could have made the hotel a lot better.
The decor in the room was a little tired and could have done with updating.The sea view we paid for was obscured by a pole going across so we could only see the top of the palm trees and top of the sea.
Although they were always changed for fresh ones,the towels always smelt a little musty.
On our second week it was school holidays and we found it a problem finding a sun bed on either the beach or by the pool as people had put their towels on the seats and reserved the beds which I found very frustrating.
We went half board so had to pay for our drinks at the end of the holiday and had to sign a bill every time we had a drink and ended up with a huge mound of bills which we could never keep a track of.
Lastly the food,my husband could not find fault with the food at all and really was very happy.Although I had some very nice meals,in all honestly I also had a couple of pretty diabolical ones as well so it seemed to be pretty erratic really.
All in all the good outweighed the bad and the little niggles did not ruin our holiday, although these things could definitely be improved upon.
I would recommend this hotel for families and people who like things a little bit lively but maybe not for couples who prefer a bit more peace and tranquility
Especially not in the school holidays!
We booked our safari with Glorious safaris on line before we went 3 days 2 nights to Tsavo east and west and had an amazing fantastic time.Our driver Anderson was very astute and we saw loads and loads of animals thanks to his very keen eye.
Could recommend this safari as well,there was just two of us instead of a bus load of people,at a more competitive price .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Now this is the 3rd time i've been to the Southern palms in Kenya and yet i still had a magical time and once again enjoyed it.
The hotel still had the same charm & the same looks. Which i was thankful had not been changed, the staff were still friendly and as welcoming as ever.
The hot weather was a treat as was lounging round by the pool.

The pool and beach were well kept and beautiful, service was excellent and was always brought with a smile and a friendly 'Jambo'.
The animation team was as good as ever, still a few familiar faces as well as some new friendly ones.
The lunch time restaurant was lovely although i must admit a full size pizza was quite big and i did have some trouble eating it.
Breakfast was good as was lunch, although the dinner wasnt as good as expected but i am quite a picky eater, the grill and italian had changed there menus.
They are now set menus and in my opinion werent as good as last time when it was open menus.
Rooms were lovely and spacious.

Still a personal favourite and my second home.
Everytime we get closer to landing in Kenya the view from the plane takes my breath away and its still sends goosebumps down my spine.
The hotel still brings butterflies in my stomach every time we approach the security gate.

Truly an amazing hotel!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank martinimakerbob
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I spent here 10 nights and it was great holiday. Staffs were so friendly and helpful.
And the beach is the best what I´ve ever seen - whit sand, nice sea and beautiful palms

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Misak72
Reviewed 17 February 2010

THe Southern Palms is an ideal introduction to Kenya. Its a four start, but not in European style. The staff are friendly, the pools are massive and great for swimmers, the entertainment both around the pool during the day with areobics and beach walks and dancing and swahili lessons were the best you could get. The gym was excellent, better than some hotels I've been to in the UK. The beach outside is lovley white sand and there is lots of walking on bare sands. The hawkers tend to back off after a while. But the housekeeping standad is varied, the cleaning is superb but if you have a problem - eg our phone and kettle broke, thn dont expect it to be fixed with just one visit to reception! It appears the staff are good but the management co-ordination is not joined up. Still, this is Kenya and anyone who doesnt feel charmed by the staff and the location doesnt really get it. I would recommend this hotel for everyone. Go and support the kenyan economy and the friendly people here by visiting the Southern Palms!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Hotel grounds were very well maintained. Our room was very well appointed and kept very clean. One of the light bulbs stopped working and was replaced the same day which surprised me! Plenty of chair beds, but unfortunately a number of them did have "towels" put on to reserve. We then had to play the same game, which we abhor. The only fault I have with the hotel, was the food in the main restaurant, we thought it was DIRE. There was plenty of it, but poorly cooked. I don't eat meat and was really looking forward to the fish, but after 2 meals of it, I stuck to salads and pasta and fruit,as it was disgusting. Couldn't fault the staff, thought they were all excellent. Would I recommend this hotel YES if the food was better! Entertainment was the best they could offer every evening, and all music stopped at 11.00 p.m. and it was lovely and quiet and restful and no problem sleeping.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple