We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the southern palms, like many others we were rather concerned about comments made on this website but we had no problems at all!
We had a very warm welcome, with cold towels and juice, and were taken very quickly to our room.
Our room was very clean, comfortable and had the best sea view i have ever seen! Rooms at the southern palms are basic compared to hotels here but that is to be expected in Kenya!
Food was good, we got a bit fed up with the buffet restauraunt towards the end of the holiday, but the italian was excellent and breakfasts were lovely (pancakes!)! We went to the grill once and didnt enjoy it, our waiter made us feel like pests because we arrived 2 minutes early and my boyfriend askd for orange juice! Food wasnt too good either, fed most of mine to a cat. However, we met plenty of people who really enjoyed it so obviously we just picked the wrong night!
The pool and beach are amazing, both very clean, and we never struggled to find a sun lounger. Always lots to do around the resort, animation team are very lively, we never took them up on any of their offers but lots of people did.We went on a camel ride which we really enjoyed, it was only about £10 for the two of us and it lasted at least 1/2 hour. Beach boys are a total pain, security are good at chasing them away, but to be honest i wouldnt recommend going to look at their shops, i was stupid enough to and they ended up charging me more than the hotel shop would have for two giraffes, and i also had to give them socks and pens, they are very forceful and intimidating. (even more annoying that the airline made me check in my giraffes and they eventually arrived after being lost at heathrow smashed to pieces!) The massages are amazing, the girls ar a little pushy but its well worth going for one. Only about £11-12 for a whole hour!
The staff are very good, so friendly!
We arranged our own safari with DM tours before we left the uk, so glad we did this as we felt we got a really good deal. We had a really comfortable 8 seater toyota landcruiser between us and 2 others. Whereas everyone else we saw in the national parks were in minibuses (somak, thomson, kuoni etc) We went to Tsavo West and Amboseli, though we really enjoyed it and saw most of the big 5, the journey back is 9 hours on the final day, not enjoyable on kenyan roads! If i was to do it again i would do either Tsavo East and West or Masai Mara by air.
Would strongly recommend a night in the sable valley treehouses, such an amazing experience, with a private chef, butler and jacuzzi!
Overall, we had an excellent stay in the Southern Palms, wonderful location, felt very safe and the food was good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This dramatic hotel with its fantastic pools and beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax after a safari… or simply visit to relax! The warm and very African feel of the hotel with comfortable rooms, well appointed bathrooms and selection of restaurants offers guests plenty of places to lounge in the sun and almost as many shady spots to enjoy a bit of a breeze and a good book. All rooms have quiet, split unit air conditioners, televisions, mini fridges and coffee and tea making facilities. There is a safe (chargeable) in each room and a business center located in the main building with internet or wifi access in public areas. The drama of the huge, traditional makuti (thatched) roof in the main restaurant offers the Chef a terrific showcase for a varied selection of local and international dishes on the buffet or you could indulge at one of the a la carte restaurants (chargeable) for a special occasion or just a quiet evening for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Jovago.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Southern Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel Diani
- Southern Palms Beach Diani