We arrived at the Southern Palms late January, for a weeks all inclusive break with the intention of relaxing in the sun. The hotel has a great feel to it. It has lovely pools, but you just cant beat the beach, the Indian Ocean is warm and great to swim in, though when the tide is in it can be a bit deep and a strong current for youngsters.
We did the official trip to Wasini, to see the reef, to snorkel and to have lunch. It is a trip well worth doing, the crew of the boats are friendly and make you feel very welcome. Best to be prepared as the sun can be very hot, so wear your sun screen & drink plenty (they have an ample supply of complimentary drinks on the boat). The snorkelling is fabulous out on the reef, this was my 1st time and we were well looked after and felt very safe, it was ideal for beginners (buoyancy aids were provided). Take the taxi from the hotel to the Diani shopping
centre, its worth a wander around, there is a pharmacy there, as well as a convenience store and several souvenir shops. The taxi is Ksh700, they will drop you off and wait for you. You could walk it, its about 3Km.
The hotel itself has several restaurants to try, for the smaller ones you need to book in advance, but in the main restaurant the buffet was brilliant, plenty of fresh fish, vegatables, curries and salads, as well as stir frys and grilled meat. Theres no way you will go hungry.
The rooms are ideal, light, very clean and airy, though it did take a while to work out the air conditioning, but once that was sorted it was just great, we had ocean views from our balcony as well and the room hada tv, coffee facilities, mini bar and hair dryer . Thankfully no sign of any mosquitoes or other unwanted creatures in the room, though we'd recommend you keep everything closed as there are some miniature ant like creatures that seem to be attacted to sugary / salty thing.
The only downside to the holiday was Mombassa Airport when we departed , the security checks and queues spoilt an otherwise lovely holiday. There were at least 4 full security checks, and then a bottle-neck at the 1 metal detecting machine, also you need to fill in exit visa form , something that no one had told us!!
All in all , with the sunshine, the food, and the people its a great place to visit and stay for those who want to relax for week as well as for the more active amongst us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This dramatic hotel with its fantastic pools and beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax after a safari… or simply visit to relax! The warm and very African feel of the hotel with comfortable rooms, well appointed bathrooms and selection of restaurants offers guests plenty of places to lounge in the sun and almost as many shady spots to enjoy a bit of a breeze and a good book. All rooms have quiet, split unit air conditioners, televisions, mini fridges and coffee and tea making facilities. There is a safe (chargeable) in each room and a business center located in the main building with internet or wifi access in public areas. The drama of the huge, traditional makuti (thatched) roof in the main restaurant offers the Chef a terrific showcase for a varied selection of local and international dishes on the buffet or you could indulge at one of the a la carte restaurants (chargeable) for a special occasion or just a quiet evening for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Jovago.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Southern Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel Diani
- Southern Palms Beach Diani