Southern Palms Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
AfroChic Diani(Diani Beach)
View Hotel
Diani Bay Resort(Diani Beach)
View Hotel
Morning Star Resort(Diani Beach)
  • Breakfast included
1,415 results
All reviewsthe grillmain restaurantbeach boyshalf boardall inclusive packagewater volleyballnyama chomaanimation teamf b managergreat holidayday safarievening entertainmentmasai dancerschoice of restaurantsbeach barroom attendantindian food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2007

The hotel in general was great but the service and food lacking.

When we got to the hotel after 10 hours+travelling it took reception half an hour to get us our key. Admittedly we got off the coach with around ten other people but they made evryone hang around for longer than needed.

The rooms were basic but adequate. They have DVD players which is useful for when it's too hot outside, bring your own as they don't have any to loan. The only problems we had with the room was that our housekeeper would come in at around 10 and strip the bed, and on a number of days we returned at about 1 to get out of the sun and the beds still hadn't been made up! We had to ask twice for extra pillows and it took days before someone came to look at our a/c which had been leaking all over the floor.

The food wasn't great, everything stewed or fried which was a little unappetising after a week. We went to the Diani Reef Hotel for lunch one day and was delighted to see thay had fresh lettuce! I very much doubt I will get excited about lettuce ever again. A lot of people we spoke to at the hotel did suffer stomach problems but I couldn't say whether that was due to food or other influences.

Entertainment was ok, Sunday evenings a church choir would come in to the restaurant and they were amazing!

The pools were excellent and the scuba team very professional (though perhaps a bit pricey). The ents staff were good although not brilliant at controlling kids- there was definite bullying going on by the older children in a few kids games we saw.

Overall a decent holiday but I would say 3* hotel.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank Mrs-Smith-jones
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Southern Palms is a lovely hotel, situated right on the beach. The room was more than adequate, good sized, nice bathroom and a balcony looking out onto the pool area. The pools are excellent and there is always space to be found in one of them. The swim up bars are nice on a hot day. The leisure facilities are also good, the equipment in the gym is a little dated but does the job, the tennis courts have a few bumps and cracks but again are good enough. There are a total of about 5 bars, so you don't need to get bored with the same one. There are also 3 restaurants - the main restaurant, the pool restaurant ("the grill") and an italian restaurant. The grill is probably the best of these, but all three are nice. The grill does have to be booked in advance and was always booked for 4 or 5 days in advance while we were there so make sure to book early. The beach is lovely and the hotel has a number of loungers right beside the hotel.

The downside of the beach is the beach-boys, who hassle everyone as soon as they step out of reach of the hotel security. They are generally pleasant, but it is irritating when you want a quiet walk along the beach to have to spend the whole time telling people you will look at their stall later. You can't blame them for trying to make some money when you see the poverty most Kenyans live in, but I think they would sell more if they let people browse without pressuring them. In the end we bought all our gifts from the hotel gift shop as it was the only place we could pick something up to look at without being pressured to buy it immediately! That aside, the only complaint against the hotel is the system of signing for everything and paying at the end of the stay. We were overcharged, not by a huge amount but still not ideal, and it is difficult to keep track of your spending using that system, although that is probably the reason they use it...

Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Johnlfg
Reviewed 1 March 2007

My partner and myself spent a fantastic two weeks during Jan/Feb 07 at the Southern Palms Resort, Diani Beach, where we also got married during our stay. We had read some previous reviews so had mixed feelings about our choice, but these were not necessary as the hotel, staff, service, food, weather and wedding package were all first class. The staff are all extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is spotlessly clean and of an extremely high standard. The wedding was perfect and everything was taken care of by the fantastic Guest Relations Rep, Frieda, who made us feel very special. Although the hotel was just about full for those two weeks of our stay, we never had a problem getting a sunbed and the pools are so huge that over-crowding is never a problem. Our package was all-inclusive but there is a choice of restaurants so you don't have to eat in the same place night in night out. The hotel is situated on the beach so if you get fed up lazing by the pool and numerous pool bars you can have a stroll to the white sandy beach. Entertainment was provided each evening and ranged from singers to traditional african dancers. All in all we could not have asked for more and would recommend Southern Palms for anyone wanting to relax in the sun and be spoilt.

Stayed: January 2007
5  Thank Mr&MrsGLincolnshire
Reviewed 27 February 2007

We arrived for three days after a 5 day safari and as soon as we arrived we had our bags taken to our room, tipped the delivery boy. they were very polite staff.
The Food was good, all fresh apart from the meat that needs to be cooked better as me and the family have all come home with stomach ache. Take some imodium!
Scenery good, ali baba was fantastic well worth a visit, entertainment at the hotel during the day is great as you get to be involved in all different kinds of sports in the pool. i would definately go back,, recccomened especially for weddings and honeymoons as the place is stunning!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank emmalei15
Reviewed 26 February 2007

Jambo! I had a brilliant time staying at the Southern Palms. I have travelled to various long-haul destinations over the last few years incl. Maldives, Mexico, Dom Rep and this is one of the nicest holidays I have had. I am 29 and my partner is 30 and were looking for a holiday that combined relaxation with some non-strenuous activites - this hotel scored on both.

The staff here were very friendly and helpful. The animation staff kept my partner entertained with volleyball, petanque, beach volley, water polo etc etc., which was perfect for me as I could relax in peace!

Also the other holidaymakers were really nice and by the end of the 2 weeks we had a few people to chat to in the evenings (if we wanted to).

The layout of the hotel is brilliant, huge, clean pools with plenty of sunbeds leading onto the beach. We did not use the beach much and tended to stay by the pool, but it was lovely.

The rooms are nice, comfortable and cleaned twice a day, if a little tired and dated - I would imagine they were very impressive when the hotel first opened. I would not read too much into this though - I have stayed in nicer rooms, in other countries and not had as good a holiday, so don't necessarily get sold on 5-star luxury with other hotels!

The SP had a laid back atmoshpere and the staff couldn't do more for you. The food wasn't up to much though - I would recommend getting to the restaurant before 8-8.30pm as most of the nice food is gone after that - there are always plenty of curries left though...

My only gripe with this hotel is that you have to sign for EVERYTHING, this is to combat staff fiddling but it is still annoying. Also, not everything is included in the price and they will try to 'upsell' beach parties etc. which also grates after a while - altough they are always ver polite when you say no.

Anyway, I would recommened this hotel, you will have a lovely holiday. Would also recommend doing a safari - best time of my life!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple