We stayed at the Diani Sea Lodge for two weeks in October 2011.
We had been to the Diani Sea Resort back in April 2011, which is the Lodge's sister hotel along the beach. So we couldn't help but compare the two.
The Lodge is smaller, but this means the beach, bar and pool are all within easy reach.
The food is good, the snack bar does great burgers and the bar service is always efficient.
The room we stayed in was part of a grouping of bungalows, so you got no view at all and the room was quite dark.
However, it had a large safety deposit box and free air con that worked very well.
We would recommend the glass bottom boat trip, as you get to snorkel in safe waters with hundreds of fish surrounding you. Ignore the headline price of £18, you can get it easily for £10.
The Diana Sea Resort is a larger hotel with more facilities and the rooms all provide you with a view of something. It also has free Wifi of an evening which I really missed at the DSL.
If I was to chose a hotel to go back to, it would be the DSR.
Whilst in Kenya, you need to go on Safari. We did a 4 day trip with Tanke Tours, who were fantastic (seperate review to follow).
You need to think carefully about which airline you use to get to Mombassa. Remember it is a 8-10 hour flight. Thomson use long haul jets where the standard leg room is equivalent to trans-atlantic flights and they have a choice of movies with seat back screens. Monarch on the other hand have cramped seats as standard and shared movie screens in the aisle.
Some quick notes on trips to Kenya:-
- It is a fantastic country to visit.
- It is a 3rd world country, go with your eyes open.
- Expect to be politely bothered by beach boys and other sellers. They are just trying to survive.
- It is perfectly safe if you follow the advice given to you.
- By all means book safaris with local companies. However, check out their reputations on tripadvisor before you travel, contact them by email to establish an itinerary and cost, but don't pay until you arrive.
- The sex trade is alive and well in Kenya. You will find European men and women paying locals to keep them company during their stay. This happens in all hotels in the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated right on the white sand beach of the Indian Ocean, Diani Sea Lodge, an all-inclusive 3+ resort, is surrounded by lush tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Jovago.com so you can book your Diani Sea Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diani Sea Hotel Diani