Lowest prices for your stay
eDreams
Priceline
US$522
View deal
Agoda.comUS$522
Destinia.com
StayForLong
All reviews home away from home south coast general manager rooms are spacious relaxing stay perfect holiday amazing place swimming pool is seafood evelyn zippy diani jemima beach rafiki kenya paradise
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 June 2014

It was a great place. Beautiful beach, nice beds, nice service & hospitality. A good place to run away. My only issue was the timing of the food. However the food was good but not on good timing. kindly work on that. However, beautiful place.. Will visit you soon again.

Room tip: Get the room with a view by the ocean balcony. Room 13.
Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Many thanks for taking the time for a review. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay. In reference to the timing of the food we are giving our guests the freedom to chose their own timing for any meal served as we do not want to dictate any hours for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We certainly will consider any preference as well as set meal times if this is desired. We are looking forward to welcome you back at The Maji very soon! Sunny regards, St.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

After month of hard work on new projects I was literally exhausted, looking for a place to hide away.
Life and profession gifted me some very exclusive destination like Aman or Four Season Resorts, so I demanded something ambitious and unique. My online research brought me to a small Boutique Style Hotel, called –The Maji- at one of Africa’s most beautiful beaches, Diani in the south-east of Kenia.
Arriving in the middle of the night, there was a welcoming manager on duty, offered me a drink and guided me to a spacious room, not over decorated, but well equipped with all the necessities you need for a pleasant stay. A room with a view, facing a tropic garden leading to the white sandy beach and the Indian Ocean.
On the first instant The Maji reminds on an Italian Villa, but build of lime stone with dark wooden roofs. On the second, the influence of African Art and style becomes obvious. A place wanted to be explored, with lots of very individual spots inviting you for a closer look. The choice of material and color is skilled, the whole concept a genius fusion of Africa’s best, Italy’s grandezza and the fancy way of Spanish design. The pool, reminding of Gaudi’s mosaic objects, is circling almost the whole building, well tempered and 100% clean.
What strikes most, are the very attentive people working at that venue, always ready to read your wishes straight from your eyes. And, opposite to some Asian destinations, you can believe it is honest hospitality. Of course not everything is perfect, but as we know too much perfectionism becomes boring by the time. Everybody is paying his contribution to a warm and feeling at home place with a smile on his face, giving you the feeling to be part of the family. So if you need a soul detox from your stressful daily business, there is no place you rather want to be.
The menu offers loads of varieties starting with the European Cuisine, scratching the spicy Indian pots and ending with typical Swahili food. What is very pleasant and unusual at the same time; if you have booked a half-board package, you can choose from the complete list, except the lobster of course. The portions are generous and absolutely tasty.
So in total, a magic place, hard to say goodbye to, and definitively a place, worth to visit a second time and more often. If my person is concerned, I certainly will do.

Room tip: Room No 13 with big terrace facing the tropical garden and the ocean
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Michael, thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel and the hospitality we are providing. I am sure that you will be even more impressed during your next stay as we are constantly working on refinement and improvement of the already existing structures and systems. The beauty of a small hotel is that new ideas and creativity can be honored and implemented within a short period of time. Many sunny regards, St.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here over a 3 day long weekend and decided to try a new place on the coast. The Maji is a very unique property with what can best be described as a 'swimming pool moat' that surrounds the building, lovely chairs and day beds overlooking the beach, and nicely appointed rooms with air conditioning, generously sized beds, mini-bar, free wifi and the all the touches that one would expect with a hotel titling itself as 'boutique.' On the visual impression, certainly a high rating. But then get below the surface and you realize that this is yet another overpriced, under-serviced addition to the Diani hotel scene. Where shall I start? Perhaps the reservation. Booked online, told shortly thereafter that the room booked was not available, then given a more expensive room, then went back and forth hammering out the resident rates, only to be sent the wrong quote and then having to correct it. Also was asked for credit card details (provided) and then a scan of the front and back of the credit card (great for fraud, not for much else) and then told eventually that the C/C scan was not needed. All told, 11 emails and three phone calls. Boutique service? I think not. Then comes the actual service. I do appreciate the fact that the staff are making a good effort, but at the price for the property I do not expect effort, I expect it to work. Example: woke up for a moring swim, asked for coffee at 0800. Coffee did not arrive, asked again at 0815, 0830, 0845, and then finally had to speak to the manager at 0900 to get the coffee. I was asking for coffee, not the creation of a unicorn. For a boutique hotel, this should have been simple. Next day, ask for eggs for breakfast - when the eggs appear they are not just over-easy, they are raw. Next evening for dinner, ask for grilled fish and get raw fish burned on the outside. Rather disgusting. Ask for a 2 gin and tonics and got one and an empty second glass (perhaps we were meant to share?).Further you often end up with 4 different people serving you in an uncoordinated manner, and all asking you the same questions as they don't speak with each other. The service is so uneven and the food quality so low that it is laughable to call this a boutique hotel. Unfortunately for me, I do not find it funny when they charge 550+ USD per nite. Save your money, save your time, and save your weekend by staying away!

Room tip: Aim to get a sea view room, not all of them have one.
Date of stay: June 2014
4  Thank TripTestDummy
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you most sincerely for your comments concisely describing and complimenting the unique features of The Maji, but at the same time outlining certain operational shortcomings.
We are sorry for the inexcusable long wait for you to get a cup of coffe one morning and we are also sorry that fish and eggs that you have ordered, where not cooked to your taste. We have noted your comments about our staff deportment, we will attempt to curb their over enthusiasm in trying to please the guest.

We regret that you had to be disturbed by numerous communications that was required in order to satisfy your booking request.

The Maji is still a very young hotel and your appreciated remarks have made us realise, that we have still room for improvement and that we should not solely rely on the positive verbal and written comments received from all our guests, who have patronised us since our recent opening and have expressed in superlative terms their satisfaction with every aspect of The Maji hospitality.
Not withstanding the aforesaid, having noted that you are a frequent traveler and a Senior Contributor, we sincerely hope to have sometime in the future a repeat visit of yours, when we trust that you may be able to experience The Maji at it's very best so as to become another one of the very many satisfied clients that have enjoyed our Hotel.

Many regards, St.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

It's been my experience in the past that places tend not to live up to the pictures that grace their glossy brochures and online listings. In many instances, they've been airbrushed to within an inch of their lives, creating a type of hyper-reality that can rarely be imitated in real life.

So when I booked my stay at The Maji, I was a little cynical. "It can't possibly be as glorious as the pictures", I thought. And it turns out I was right - it was far FAR more spectacular in person. The Maji is the type of place postcards were made for, every inch of the property bathed in a photogenic glow - from the scenic beachfront, dotted with comfy loungers to the moat-like pool, which snakes its way in and out of the hotel like an azure serpent.

And while The Maji's scenic value alone is enough to catapult it to the top of any traveller's bucket list, it's the hotel's people that really make the experience. Everywhere you look, there's a friendly smile, a helpful glance - the staff at The Maji are hell-bent on making sure you have the holiday of a lifetime.

Meals are served where and when you want them, and are elaborate affairs that always come complete with interesting touches - a complimentary plate of freshly fried potato skins, an unexpected, delicate bruschetta. If you return from The Maji without a few extra kilos on you, you're doing it wrong.

All in all, I can't recommend this beautiful, warm and utterly delightful spot highly enough. I'd return in a heartbeat (and hopefully will do soon)

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Robert, a big thank you to you for your amazing review! I am extremely happy that you had a fantastic time with us. We also hope to see you again very very soon and then for a couple of days longer. Greetings to Cape Town! St.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We spent a lovely weekend in this amazing retreat...way too short!
The facility is simply stunning, surrounded by water features all around the hotel (here comes the name Maji, which in swahili means water), exquisite furnitures and unique art pieces.
The staff at the Maji is extremely caring and smart and the food, served at tailored times and places, is simply delicious and varying.
Our Ocean view suite, as the other rooms, was tastefully furnished and we were very well taken care of throughout the whole stay.
Compliments to the entire team! We will definitely come back :-)

Room tip: We loved our Ocean view suite, but next time we will definitely check in the Deluxe with private Jacuzzi on the balcony!
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Sali, many thanks for your review and you praising words. It is great to see that even residents of Diani/Ukunda enjoying our hotel as much as guests coming from far. Thank you for your support! St.