Chale island is a small coral island located about 12km south of Diani Beach.
Although such a small distance it is a world away from the usual mass tourism.
It has a wealth of animal and bird life,naturalsprings and salt lakes in the interior and we went there for the day for the guided tour walk etc.
Chale island is a nature reserve and one third of which is dedicated to the hotel complex.
On the bay with the beautiful white sandy beach is the open air restaurant serving a rich variety of Africanand international dishes and there is a thatched roofed bar for cool drinks.
If the tide is out you are taken by tractor to the island.
Chale island is fully furnished with antiques not only in the public areas but in the guest rooms.
When we arrived we were greeted with a welcome cocktail and then started the island guided walk which takes around one and a half hours.
You will need good walking shoes as rocky and stumps of trees coming from nowhere!!
We were then ready for an excellent lunch which is buffet and we chose seafood which was excellent and plenty of local fruits plus free drinks and tea or coffee.
After lunch we took a boat trip which leads you through the mangroove forest of Gazi Bay.
We then returned in time for afternoon tea and a laze ont he beach and then time to go back.
A lovely day out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and managed by the same team of sister resort The Sands At Nomad, this small, personal "boutique" resort is the perfect island getaway for those seeking the ultimate in relaxation, tranquility and Island flair. The resort was completely renovated in 2006 and has been built with a very strong focus on the envirnmental beauty of the Island. Two swimming pools, a mystical SPA and a well equiped watersports facility fullfil every wish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Jovago.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Sands At Chale Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands At Chale Island Hotel Diani
- Sands At Chale Island Ukunda