“Allround excellance” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Diani Beach
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Allround excellance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

Me and my husband stayed at Diani reef from the 23rd of may 2011 for 2 weeks, what a wonderfull holiday, Staff were very very friendly and most helpfull at all times. As was the manager and the head chef. Our room was very comfortable and clean just a little tired looking could do with a fresh coat of paint. The food was excellant and plenty off it and i do like the buffet style, we never went hugrey. The beach staff were also very helpful and the security guards not only kept the beach boys at bay they would also fetch towels for you and move your sunbeds if you needed. Some of the beach boys could be a bit of a pain but eventually you get used to them and realize how to handle them. If you do visit this hotel one of the most nicest beach boys was named Thomas he was not as persistent as the others and you could do a good deal with him. He can also organise a safari if you need it. We also did a safari with first choice to a place called Saltlick it was well worth the money and our driver was an excellant tour guide we did see plenty on our trip. Please remember to take pens pencils and sweets when you go anywhere as the little children really do appreiate a little gift like that including sweets. The driver was only to happy to stop along the road so you can hand them out or throw them as you are passing. This will be a very memorable trip for me and my husband and i cannot express how wonderful Diani Reef was to stay at the manager runs a very good hotel and we made some very good friends while we stayed who also enjoyed it as much as us. well done Diani Reef. Mr and Mrs Whitehead Devon

Room Tip: sea views are a must all areas are quiet
5 Thank poodle36
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Dear Mr and Mrs Whitehead,

Thank you for taking time to comment on TripAdvisor. Your recognition of our efforts motivate the Team to continue to deliver “ beyond expectations .”
We look forward to welcoming you back “ home “ in the near future.

Kind regards,

Aditya Mata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

WOW - what a great hotel, fabulous food, amazingly friendly and attentive staff and absolutely the pick of the hotels in the area. It's one of the only hotels which has a beach on the seafront without coral so no need for crocs / jellyshoes to go for a swim!
We went slightly out of season so there were plenty of sunbeds in all locations to choose from, the food from breakfast to dinner was always of the best quality and so varied - as a vegetarian it was a rare treat not to have to eat the same meal twice in a two week break!
Staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful in simply EVERY department, security it top notch and you feel incredibly safe.
Lunch on the beach is highly recommended for a bit of glamour, a fun afternoon in the pool with the swim up bar can be a dangerous affair (it's easy to lose several hours in there!) and the Masai night once a week is simply a must - a glamourous outdoor night with an amazing show and food to die for.

They even spray the entire resort every night with a huge machine to smoke out all the mosquitos and bugs ... I'd still take some DEET but for the first time on holiday, the mosquitoes seemed to leave me alone - you can sit out comfortably at night with no fear of waking up covered in bites the next morning!
Whilst other couples we met at hotels in the same are found fault with very average food, the coral on the beach and the monkeys stealing their food from their plates at other hotels here I cannot fault a single aspect of this hotel ... though we would have preferred a room with a view, we didn't spend enough time in the room to worry about it!

It feels like a fair journey from the airport - but it's worth the drive I promise, and you only have to do it twice!!

If you want to do a couple of days on Safari whilst you're there ... check out Satao Camp - the rep will come to visit the hotel if you call and sitting on the balcony of a luxury (and I do mean luxury) tent watching elephants drinking at a watering hole a few hundred feet from your balcony is simply the best way to waste time I've ever found.

Thanks so much to everyone at Diani Reef for the holiday of a lifetime - we will (as promised) be back to see you again as soon as we can.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank corpe
Wolverhampton, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Its that time of year when I return from my annual long haul holiday and have to write a review on it.

This review is harder to write than normal for several reasons.

Firstly the grounds of the hotel are fantastic, the public areas are clean and well maintained. The rooms are clean, but I do understand why some reviews on here say they are dated as if you stay in 5 star resorts in different countries then the rooms are more modern and well kept. However this is part of what makes this review so hard to write, if you stay in a country like Kenya then can you expect the kind of hotels you stay in whilst in Thailand or Mexico?? Overall the rooms were adequate for us and I had no problem with the decor etc........

I did have a problem with the room locations and functions however. I had paid £260 to First Choice Holidays for a limited sea view room. I had to move twice to get anything like a sea view room. We then had a problem with an air conditioning unit. We moved room again after 1 week into the holiday and were given a room over the pool with a great sea view which we were very happy with. I would have rather paid £260 to the hotel for this view at the start of the holiday than being ripped off by First Choice Holidays who did not make any special effort to ensure a sea view even though it had been paid for.

Credit must go to the general manager who on finding out about our air conditioning problem, made every step to ensure we were comfortable in our new surroundings. Our complimentary meal at the Sake restaurant was honestly one of the best meals i've ever had. The steamed lobster was amazing!!! So good in fact we chose to eat there again on the last day of our holiday.

And that leads me onto food:

Breakfast: It is Africa................ Flies are a problem. The food however is accpetable, but the flies are numerous.

Lunch: We ate most days at Fins for lunch. The food was very good and if you choose a table outside flies are not even an issue. Just be careful, someone had obviously left the top of the ketchup bottle before we ate there one day. Flies had found their way in and then the top put back on. Ill let you imagine what happened next when I wanted ketchup..........

Dinner: Always varied and usually very good. Lots of different choices and you will always find something you like.

It has been said in other reviews that the staff are what makes this hotel a step above the rest. It is true. I will mention Mary (food and beverages) and bar man Reuben as being so friendly and accommodating that when we left I almost felt like we were leaving family members behind. It was all the staff including the animation team, Sue (SM :) ) Cellestino......... too many to mention.

I have noticed that some people have made comments aimed at the management style of the hotel. I would say the following. The general manager gets things done and to a very high standard. He is always around asking guests for their comments and ensuring staff are keeping high standards. Personally he did his best to ensure I had a great stay at the hotel and was more reliable than First Choice in ensuring a good stay. For that I am very thankful. He has his finger on the pulse and will directly approach any issues.

The Beach: The beach is great. Its clean, expansive and the only one that has its own private section where the beach boys cannot approach you. I understand they are only trying to make a living but during the low season when most other hotels on this beach are closed, they gather at the waters edge where the private beach ends. They do pester you somewhat. A firm no and keep walking into the sea does the trick! Overall the beach is fantastic and the private beach is a real asset!! Other hotels on the beach dont have this and beach boys can walk right up to the sun loungers.

So far I have not mentioned anything particularly negative but we did encounter one issue of which I did not bring up with the manager as you start to question yourself but on reflection maybe I should have. A PSP (portable play station) went missing from my room. I had 2 members of staff come in and search the room vigourously to look for it. We had searched everywhere at least 4 times also. The only person who had been in the room was the person who cleaned up the water from our leaky air con unit. Security called him into our room after checking themselves everywhere thoroughly. He said he hadnt seen it. He then asked if it was ok for him to have a look. Within 2 minutes he had found it in our suitcase, the same one security had checked 5 times, we had checked 4 times................. So please make sure you lock everything away in your room safe and dont leave things on charge when you are not there. Again you start questionning yourself when this happens but it seems fairly obvious now..................... you dont like to acuse when you are on holiday though.

Anyway, as far as 2 Safaris go, Shimba Hills and Tsarvo East I would say if possible book a Masai Mara trip. Sure its more expensive but as good as these two put together. Just my feeling on the matter. Had a great time on both the others but Shimba is not really a game park, they took some animals from Tsavo and stuck them in the hills. Seeing an Elephant roaming the hillside was a bit like a duck out of water.

Overall I am giving this resort 5 stars. I am not judging it, as I said before, against a 5 star in Mexico for example, but this is Africa and having gotten to know some people who live there well I cannot bring myself to give it anything less than a glowing report. I noticed some people, in particular the last person who gave it 1 star................. maybe you missed the point of Africa. Meet the real people next time. Cannot belive some people miss this. I cannot for the life of me understand those people that travel half way around the world and look for the comforts of home. The general manager would certainly have helped make your stay more comfortable if you had said something...........

We loved the monkeys roaming the resort, just dont leave your balcony doors open as they may help themselves to your fruit dish haha!! A great feature of the hotel.

The May weather was very hit and miss, I got one of the best tans ive ever had but it did rain quite a bit too.

Thank you Diani Reef for an experience I will never forget and due to the people who work at your hotel, one that I hope to repeat in the future. It really is the people that make the difference at this hotel.

5 Thank rich5wolves
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience in TripAdvisor .
Our Team is our Asset and recognition of their effort goes a long way in motivating them to do better .
I must re-iterate there is no compromise on security and safety of our Team , our Guests and their belongings. Reference checks are conducted routinely of all members to ensure there is no undue occurrence .
Your comments have been viewed positively and corrective measures initiated . I am grateful for the same .
We look forward to welcoming you back to Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa again soon.

Kind regards,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I had the most amazing holiday of my life...This hotel was stunning. The views of the beach from the room was spectacular. The staff were attentive, friendly and always smiling. The only bad thing about the hotel was the evening entertainment. A show was put on one evening which lasted half an hour if that and wasnt even very good. BUT this did not spoil the holiday. I loved the monkeys around the hotel it really made you feel like you was in Africa. If anyone is looking to go to Kenya I would strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view or suite
9 Thank mollyissa
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Recently returned from a fabulous two weeks. Diani Reef provided just what we were looking for. A quiet relaxing time in a nice environment with a fabulous beach.
Aditya Mata and his staff were helpful and friendly with nothing being too much trouble. Service in the bars and restaurants was excellent. Our room was cleaned on a daily basis with a bottle of wine and biscuits, together with a lovely scented bath, provided over a couple of days. I used the Spa and this was a real treat. Ladies from the Spa also provided lovely refreshing towels on the beach.
We would recommend to friends and would visit again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Ange_Wayne_Owen
Augsburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

After we stayed there in 2006 and had mixed recollections in our minds, we decided to go back to the Diani Reef. The main reasond have been the good reviews here and also from friends of us. They told us to give the hotel a second chance. After many trips in the past years we can compare the Diani Reef with different hotels at the kenyan coast where we stayed (Sandies Tropical Village, Sun n Sand, Severin Sea Lodge, Tiwi Beach Resort, Indian Ocean Beach Club, Leisure Lodge, Leopard, Papillon) and we must add – it was one of our best decisions to come back again. The Diani Reef is our new favourite hotel at the kenyan coast.

From the first step into the resort until we left – we always felt very welcome and treated like special guests. Everybody tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible.
We did not expect to get what we got and the price we paid was really worth it.
We celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary and got a nice surprise from the hotel, also for being repeaters.

Compared to our past stay five years ago – they kept the nice things and improved a lot. This time we decided to take a deluxe room which was really worth is. The standard rooms are okay, but some look a little bit neglected. I would always pay the extra for the deluxe room. Everything worked very well and it was very clean.
My husband mentioned, that the view is not as nice – we had a tree in front of our room. For me, it was not as important because we arrived in the evening from a long safari (great trip again to Samburu, Pl Pejeta, Lake Nakuru and Mara for 11 days with KABS) and I have been a little bit tired – well, we got another deluxe room with a great sea view 2 days later.
Enough space for all our things – and even you don`t need it, a second TV. A safe is included, also slippers and a bathrobe. Facilities for cooking tea/coffee is provided and for the minibar they are changing the same prices as in the rest of the hotel which we found also very nice.
The jacuzzi worked very well and you are offerd to get a short introduction the time you arrive – most people do not want to have it, but it is really worth it – they will tell you some “secrets” – smile.

Well, usually you are accepting some smaller things not working as well as you expect with the typical words “you are in Kenya and here it goes pole pole” – no, not at this place. The staff is as friendly as you know from Kenya itself, but they are listen to very small things and try to surprise you which works really very good. They do not only try to make a good job, they are doing a great job.
They are friendly but keep a certain distance and have never been meretriciously which you can experience sometimes.

The whole management treats the staff with respect and that is, what I want to have in a kenyan hotel. I don`t likt the places, where managers treat staff like people “second class”…

The guests in february have been international which I also like very much. I is alwas very nice to get in touch with people from other countries and exchange with them about experiences.

Another point for us always to return – the food. The choice and quality was awesome – we never saw such a good variety and it really tasted very good. We were bookod on HB. The breakfast – wow – what should I say. I prefer to have a great breakfast and all my wishes came true. In the 9 days we stayed there I had no chance to try everything I want – so a good reason to come back again.
But also the lunch – they are offering some smaller snacks and dishes and also a great buffet at the beach restaurant – great in quality and choice.
For vegetarians enough choice, also most times an indian corner and always different kinds of fish and meat accompagnied by vegetables, pasta or potatoes – and not to forget the fantastic naan bread.
Dinner – wow – you must go there and experience with your own eyes and taste – no words to describe. You will find too much and wish your stomach will have more space – it is delicious. They are offering different theme nights and there is always something for you. Beside many dishes, they are having most times show-cooking and a grill station. Even you will find kenyan dishes which I loved.
They are offering a tea/coffee hour in the late afternoon at the beach bar for free.

I forgot breakfast and dinner ist usually served in the main restaurant in the main buidling (sometimes in great places outside), lunch at the beach restaurant. They are having 2 special restaurants but because we did not have the chance to try the whole food choice of the main restaurant, we did not go there. If you want to go there you will get a discount.

They are having a beach bar and also one at the beach restaurant. There is another bar outside beside the terrace of the main restaurant but this one was closed during our stay.
The main bar in the evening is the Zebra Bar. There they are offering a discount before dinner. And I must add, that they use important spirits for your cocktails – and sometimes they have been to hard for me despite I am used to some drinks…

They are also having a gym for free which we have not used – tired because of the long safari and because we are on holiday – but would have been good for our figures….
There is also a small cinema with 2 movies, one in the afternoon and one in the early evening changing daily and a night club. Actually the casino is closed. There are also some entertainment facilities and after dinner there are different shows at the beach lounge area.

Well, as mentioned – it is right, that there is one wing which is still closed. You have the chance to go there and have a look (it is not locked what I found very nice to experience). But this is known since some years. It is still the same condition before the reopening in 2006. The last pics show this part, but you usually will not go there until you are interested and it does not show the real hotel compound which is lovely.

They are still having the nices and most comfortable and clean sun loungers at the beach. Enough shadow is provided for each.
The restrooms are well fited and clean, there are also showers at the beach and poolside.
Also 2 pools are provided - a quiet one behind the spa and one with a swim in bar.

During our stay everything was very clean and the took care of hygiene especially with the food, e.g. they cooled things which needed to be cooled.

This time we decided to experience the SPA – it is a little bit expensive, but really worth it. After our safari we enjoyed the rasul and the massage treatment followed by a bath in the floating pool with a vitamine cocktail.

Finally I can recommand this place to everybody who wants to have a relaxed stay in a comfortable room (but take a deluxe one) and have some luxury, enjoy lovely staff and delicious food, great beach…..go there and have a look – really worth it.

We will definitely return – for a third stay…

Ahsante sana to the whole team of the Diani Reef, especially to the general manager Mr. Adytia Mata and Albert Thomas – great work and your applications really worth it.

If anybody has a question or more – please feel free to ask.
Fotos will follow...

Room Tip: Top floor, would always try to get a deluxe room
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
22 Thank kenyafan
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

Firstly, i have no idea where all the good reveiws on this hotel are coming from. people who visit this hotel cannot have missed the astoundingly discusting parts of this hotel.

We arrived in Kenya on May 17th for 1 week, and paid a lot of money for a 5* Hotel!
what we got was NOT a 5* Hotel.

the Rooms were dirty, untidy, there are chunks missing from the bed, the jacuzzi bath didnt work and there were holes in the mosquito net. the water coming from the bath was brown!

we asked to move rooms, to another deluxe double room because of the above reasons. finally got moved, and we were still unhappy with the room, but couldnt be bothered to do anything else as they were all clearly the same,

it is infuriating to know we paid all this money and got absolutely no value for money.
we did go on some excursions. which were lovely, and the staff in the hotel cannot be faulted for their friendlyness and wecloming into their country. these are the only things that made our holiday bearable.

the hotel was absolutely empty, less than 50 people in the whole complex. the staff try to make you pay for things from the mini fridge you havent even had.

the swimming pool area was old, as the whole hotel was. the sun loungers and unbrellas were mouldy.

you couldnt see the sea from the hotel room which was advertsed. the internet didnt work. as free internet was advertised. along with the casino being closed. half of this hotel wasnt even working!

then we find after exploring the hotel area and walking to the beach, half of ths hotel was derelict, sun loungers, thrown in heaps. paint all over the floor, electricity cables everywhere inside. an absolute building site. at least 100 rooms if not more boarded up and unused.

we were and still are furious about this hotel. and would not go back. we genuinely feel ripped off.

only good points.

food.
friendliness of staff.
weather.

i would upload pictures, but they are that diar i really dont want to.

17 Thank LauraGiles
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Dear Guest,

I am surprised at your comments on TripAdvisor pertaining to your recent stay . I recollect meeting with you during your arrival as well as through your stay and did not hear of any negative feedback while interfacing with you or your travel partner .
In fact, prior to your departure you did also express satisfaction of your stay in the Comment Book .
Your critique has been taken positively and work is initiated where relevant, to ensure we continue to offer our guests a memorable holiday .
I look forward to staying in touch and welcoming you back to Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa in the near future .