Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Morning Star Resort(Diani Beach)
AfroChic Diani(Diani Beach)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Diani Bay Resort(Diani Beach)
View Hotel
All reviewsfins restaurantbeach boysthe general managerour honeymoonbreakfast and dinnerbeach restauranthalf boardquiet poolanimation teamfresh towelssea facingprivate beachkids clubbeach bedsindian oceanwhite sandtwo weeks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This hotel has good potential, but it is in desperate need of upgrading and an improvement in the quality of service.

Service: While some of the staff was friendly and attentive, the general quality of service was poor. The hotel was not fully occupied, yet several requests were not tended to in a timely/ friendly manner and the staff generally seemed unmotivated.

Food: The breakfast was excellent and the dinner at the main restaurant was very good for the most part. The food at the beach restaurant was a large disappointment. The quality of the food here was sub standard and the portions were small considering the prices charged for the dishes. There are no other options for places to eat for lunch unless you visit some of the other hotels/ restaurants in the area.

Rooms: The rooms don’t seem to have been upgraded in a long time. The linen is old and the pillows/ mattress are flat. Our ‘king bed’ was two single beds joined together with just a sheet (no mattress padding) to cover the gap. The air conditioning was barely functioning – it was more like a fan.

Common areas: The common areas are very nice and pleasant. They have a nice lounge area overlooking the pool and ocean. The main pool was refreshing, but was not being cleaned on a regular basis as evidenced by the oil and dirt gathering at the shallow end.

I would say that one thing the hotel has going for it is the beachfront – it is absolutely stunning and while there are a few people harassing tourists to buy things, the beach is relatively quiet and nice and clean.

While we made the most of the experience, we were disappointed with the hotel as we had been led to expect it was a lot better than it was. The 4 star rating / review is very misleading.

P.S I just read another guest's comment where he referred to people providing constructive criticism as "ridiculous, just rich snobs being rude". I am not rich and I am not a snob. I don't think it’s too much to ask to get good service and well-maintained rooms for the price you pay. The hotel is not cheap, and supposedly 4 star, so you should get what you expect. I don’t plan to return to this hotel, but I think it’s important to provide feedback so that other travelers to this beautiful country can know what to expect. Hopefully some action will be taken to improve the hotel.

4  Thank LilyB123
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and our services. We take pride in offering only the best to our valued customers.

I read your review and have noted down the points that you mentioned in your review. I will be looking into these points that you have commented on.

I hope to welcome you again very soon to the resort.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We stayed at Diani in January 2012 and returned this year.Last year we were delighted with the hotel.We can say the same again this year.The hotel is roomy the rooms were very good,we had a sea view one this year and it had a lovely view. If any person can complain about the quality of the food I am amazed how you could improve on it,in fact I dont think you can .The variety and freshness was excellent. I see people have mentioned staff by name as being helpful,we found everyone more than helpful always accompanied by a cheery smile.The beach furniture and towels were perhaps getting tired but in comparison with the rest of the hotel amenities it was not important and did nothing to spoil an excellent holiday.The general manager was always accessible and pleasant.We hope to return next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I and the management team would like to thank you for your positive review of the resort. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again many thanks and I hope to welcome you again to our resort in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

As returning guests to this hotel it was so disappointing to see how the place had declined in the past 12 months. I am not going to list all the things that make this hotel look so shabby as most of the points have already been mentioned in previous reviews. My wife and I have been coming to this hotel since 2004 when it first opened and i must say it was then probably one of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in. To see the way the place has deteriorated over that time and especially over the last year was unbelievable. Putting aside the sorry state of the hotel one thing that is still 5 star at this property are the staff who always greet you with politeness and a big smile, something that has never changed. I must mention a few names who looked after us during our stay. Margaret in charge of house-keeping,Julius on the beach, Rama who looked after our room, Mary who was in charge of the Bars, Celestine, Cecelia, Dorcas,Victoria, Doreen and chefs Stephen and Susan,Thank you.

Room Tip: Room 2007 excellent views.
1  Thank roger5101
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear Rodger B.,

I want to thank you for your review. I do remember you while you where at the resort. It was unfortunate that you felt that your trip was disappointing. While others from the UK whom you interacted with daily felt differently and in fact have sent emails saying what a wonderful time they have had.

It would be my pleasure to receive an email from you directly at GM@dianireef.com. Whereby you can send me your feedback so I can address your concerns and give you my feedback.

But, once again thank you for your review and I hope you take the time to write me so we can take into account all of the concerns that you have raised be they SUBJECTIVE or objective.

The GM

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We arrived at this hotel after having stayed in 3 other accomodations during our holiday. This was supposed to be the final and the best of our stays. The entrance was very impressive but it went down hill from there. Basically it is very old and tired and what we were not aware of was that half the hotel was shut. The closed section was in a state of disrepair with the water that surrounded the hotel green with stagnation and debris (even a dead bird, which was the view from the sunbeds in the spa area). The bedrooms were old and basic and although we were moved to a 'suite' when we complained, we were just moved to a larger room of exactly the same poor quality but had to forego the ea view hich we paid for. All the bedlinen smelt of damp. None of the entertainment and 'special' nights that were advertised happened (apparently it was out of season but no-one told this when we booked it). Generally very disappointing and NOT to be recommended. Our hotels on safari were far better and this was a higher star rating. And I am not 'a rich snob', just expect to get what I pay for.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another newer hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 1951jmwyatt
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for your review of the property and the comments you have made when you stayed with us July of last year.

The management team take all comments seriously and will take the needed steps to correct all the concerns that you have raised. I am also happy to inform you that a lot of the issues that you have raised have been addressed.

We hope to have the pleasure to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We are returning guests to this hotel and what a change. First impressions it looks the same, but when you have been here before you can see all the changes and not all are for the best. The management control the air con whereas it use to be the guest that controlled. The rooms are damp and the air con not cold enough, when we have stayed previously there was never a problem with the rooms smelling or the damp, however, the management are aware of these problems but I could see no evidence to rectify this problem. The pools were only half full and both salt water the quiet pool was cleaner than the main pool. The food has changed also not as good as was before but I must admit the last 5 days were a slight improvement especially the breakfast there was bacon and sausage every morning, the meat at evening dinner was just to chewy to eat the vegetables were lovely just not enough to go round if you came for dinner at 8 there was not much left at all. Sun beds are very dirty and old mostly broken and not enough to go round, the staff are to be commended they work so hard to make the guest feel happy, just a few names to mention Mary and David on the bar,Cecilia always had a big smile and warm greeting and always on hand to help if needed,Walter, Julius,Pearl and Kaunda did there jobs to the best of their ability , Muriuki and Ronald always welcomed you with a smile and gave a good service.I must admit I did feel cheated for the money we paid it is no longer a 4 and a half star hotel at most a 3. The location is just lovely one of the best on Diani such a shame about the falling standards.

3  Thank maciemay