“You can not beat this place...Just Paradise!!!”

Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This was our second visit to the Baobab, We travelled with our boy who is twelve. This time we went on a three day Safari which we pre booked with Thompsons.(Last time we went on a one day safari wit JT which was fab)I was very worried going with Thompsons as i had previously read that they jam you in there trucks.(there was plenty of room as there was only six of us + driver~)..
Make sure you take loads of sweets,pens and paper for the children who stand near the roads in lines and wait for you...(makes you fill so humble, but also makes you fill rather sad as there lives are so different from ours )

What can I say about the Baobab...It is a very big hotel with the main part being the Baobab, then there is the Kole Kole which is fine if you like the entertainment to be a little loud.The quiet part is the Maridadi with its big open rooms and the scattering of the bungalows.The staff here are so polite and friendly,who will go out of there way to make you have the most wonderful holiday you will ever have.

The food caters for all taste buds from Chips to there dishes (there is always someting there for the most fussy of eaters).

Entertainment excellent..Beach white as white can be ..Just go and you will be writing the same as me when you come back from you Hols ...Jambo Jambo

Just would like to thank Sammy,Caroline and all the staff again.Hope to see you all soon

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank charlieashford
Write a ReviewReviews (1,625)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We visited as a family and this place was worth every penny. Excellent location on the beach. Beach boys will approach you but they are polite and friendly and only trying to make a living in a poor country. There are bargains to be had from them as well, particularly personalised carvings. The resort and grounds were outstanding and all staff we came across were friendly and very helpful. A large choice of very good food and lots of things to do. A visit to the local Ali Barbour's cave restaurant is a must, you get free transport there and back and prices are very reasonable. I cannot praise this resort highly enough. Make sure you take some time to visit a local village and see the "real Kenya" you will find staff at the hotel willing to show you. Our first visit to Kenya, it is a wonderful country with wonderful people. I didn't find one negative. The people are very poor and really appreciate any clothes, toiletries, pens and paper you give them. Asante sana to all the Kenyans we met.

1  Thank JerseyDandL
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Baobab Resort is one of the best i have been to in south coast Mombasa ( Ukunda). When arriving at the hotel you are welcomed by a Masai dance and followed by a refreshing Madafu drink.

The rooms in the hotel have a beautiful view overlooking the ocean and the white sandy beach. Monkeys can bee seen climbing the trees and running around on the front lawn of the rooms. Do not feed the monkeys otherwise they are going to come back for more and more, and finally end up in your room.

The hotel has 3 pools, all beautiful and overlooking the ocean. One the the pools has a pool bar, so just relax in the pool and have a drink.

The animation team is very friendly and hold activities throughout the day a few to name are water-polo and volleyball. Also relaxing on the pool beds and listening to the ocean is just wonderful.

The hotel is all inclusive, so you don't have to worry about paying for drinks ( Hard of soft), i think that is one of the best things the hotel has to offer if u are a party animal like me. Breakfast, dinner and lunch...... The food is amazing, also food can be specially requested to the chef to be made for your liking.

The beach is very clean and very big, very enjoyable to run or walk for long distances. There are also water sports such as Kayaking, wind surfing, para sailing, Jet skiing and many others. I think one of the best ones was Jet skiing, moving on the the water at 120kph gives you a real rush.

The night life, meaning going clubbing is amazing. there is a club called forty thieves on the beach which an excellent atmosphere and music. The club normally plays RnB, Trance, House, Reggae and local music. The party goes on till 6am. We had a blast when we went there. The club is only 15-20 mins drive from the hotel.

Overall the hotel is incredible.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view rooms and the rooms next to the restaurant because the pool, ocean and of cou...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank saagar s
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This was our third trip to Kenya and this time we had brought 3 of your children and 1 parent. We arrived from Governors Camp to be told that we had two rooms for 4 of us and were asked how we would like to pay for the additional two. We had initially decided that as we were paying for the trip that we would have 2 rooms each sleeping 3. We ended up paying out more money for an additional room.(This was not the fault of the hotel but Hayes and Jarvis) The staff at the hotel couldn't have tried to help more. The rep was unfortunately unhelpful to say the least, again not the fault of the hotel.
I had booked this hotel rather than returning to previous hotels we had visited as it said that there was entertainment and due to the wide age range I thought this would be suitable. We were not the only people that said it was not quite what was expected. A lot of people that went to watch were back at the bar within about 15 mins.
The shower of the room next door which my daughters were in flooded if we used our shower at the same time as them.
Water was not put in your room to do your teeth and you had to make a point of picking up bottles at the end of the evening, this may not have been a hardship but with the rating you would expect it to be in there.
The cocktails were awful, think the bar staff need a few lessons. You could order two of the same drink but they would taste totally different as no one seemed to have any idea as to what went in them.
Breakfast and lunch times weren't too bad but dinner in the evening was a total free for all. Queues seemed to be non existent until a few more English people arrived.
The grounds and the hotel were kept very clean and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Would I go back? Probably not

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HolsGalore01
Reviewed 7 September 2011

After reading the previous review I was shocked to see that someone had had a bad experience here... Whilst we were there it was incredible service... The food is simaler in the resturants but it is not the same and they change the food each night so you are not eating the same dishes each night (except the standard ones)...
We also used Julius Nzumbi for our safaris (www.julius-safaris.com)... You will not be disapointed but be careful to use this webiste as he is so good there are not people imitating him to try and take his buisness... He will pick you up from the front gate, but the drivers are usually allowed to drop you back to reception when you are tired on the way back, and he has a well known name (our room boy rang him for us to say we had arrived)...

The hotel was gorgeous, andthere was a mix of languages in the KoleKole section... The local drinks were fine! If not a little strong at times, but they will do what you ask for and reduce the amount ;)... The cocktails are nice, and soft drinks are good brands which is great :)... As previously stated the food is lovely, and the pizza snack bar in the KoleKole section is really yummy too... Just make sure your careful of the monkeys :), who are soo entertaining, there are plenty to see... they will pinch your cocktails or drinks that are by your sun bed, but it is rather entertaining to watch, but be careful they do work in pairs sometimes, so if one is drinking your drink another might fly at you to leave them alone!!! They will get in your apartment too if you buy things from the supermarket! Lock the door ;)...

The beach boys aren't as dramatic as people make out! Just tell them no! Snorkeling is brilliant! Especially when you go on the boat trip to the sandy island that appears when the tide is out, there are plenty of lovely fish there, so an underwater camera is a great thing to have, we had a wonderful time! Make sure as previous messages say you have small change in your shillings for tips... Our room boy wasnt the best as we were going to tip him at the end of the week, but he must have thought we were tight so didn't try as hard as he did for others!!! To be fair he did do his job though :D...

Incredible experience! you will not be disapointed and the hotel really is fantastic! Its massive with plenty of swimming pools/bars/resturants etc so you have a fab choice and is very clean :), highly recomended and would def go back :D...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We booked directly with the hotel in advance, and paid in full in advance for 7 nights and transfers.

This was our first problem.. They are extremely difficult to get on the phone. I only managed to get them twice successfully by phone, but email was more reliable.

I sent our Euro2800 in advance as requested, but never, despite asking several times before and during our stay got a receipt for this sum, or even a verbal confirmation that it had been received... This made the whole holiday a little "shaky" from the start; What with Airline tickets, and a Safari, all riding on the fact that we MIGHT have a confirmed, and paid for reservation at the Baobab... oh well!! Go with the flow.... it should be ok!

Our second problem started at Mombasa airport when arriving after very tiring flights with two unwell children.. There was no-one there to greet us.... our predicament was obvious to ALL of the taxi touts who wanted to HELP us.....!!! It was very very distressing for both my sick children and my wife, in a strange (to us) part of the world, and being offered help by all of these well??meaning taxi drivers who could take us to our hotel "cheap"..

We did indeed eventually get some help from a very friendly chap who was associated with a tour company used by the hotel.. After several heated calls with the hotel, a car was arranged for the long hot sweaty trip to the hotel (including a ferry crossing). I agreed with both the hotel and the driver that the hotel would be responsible for the transport charges.

When we finally arrived at the hotel, the poor driver had to wait for a very long time to be paid for his journey (to be honest, I couldn't wait until he was paid, so I hope he actually was!!).. There was NO APOLOGY forthcoming from the hotel about leaving us stranded at Mombasa airport.... Well there was, after I ASKED for one, but it was from the standard "hotel greeting party", who obviously felt it was not THEIR fault, and therefore THEY should not apologise... it sounded like a very strained apology, and was certainly NOT a GENUINE one..... No Managers anywhere when you ask for them in such circumstances... hmmmmm!! .. I had read another reviewer who had had the same problem as us... they had decided to not let it spoil their holiday, so we decided to do the same... Oh well don't let a couple of mistakes mess up the holiday.

We booked a Maridadi Superior Room for 8D/7N.

The room as adequate, though nothing special.It was cleaned daily, but we had to keep "tipping" the cleaners to ensure we got 4 bathroom towels... seems, you get a lot better service in the hotel from all quarters when routinely tipping the 100 Kenyan Shillings...

TIP : Convert as much currency as you can to Kenyan at a BANK. Ensure you get lots of 100 notes for tips (you will need them) (NONE OF THE HOTELS I STAYED AT WOULD CHANGE MY MONEY). Also get a good range of notes for use when buying souvenirs... if you don't have Kenyan currency, you will either pay a credit card surcharge, or get charged a very very bad exchange rate.

Food was average.. no difference between any of the restaurants.

House (free) drinks were awful, but just drinkable. The wines were cheap rubbish, and the cocktails and beer tasted watered down.. The espresso coffee was good, but it wasn't available all day???

Beach was not too bad... after asking all the "beach boys" who try to sell you anything to "please, leave us alone", after a few days, we were able to go onto the beach "relatively unbothered" by them, though, I have to say that there were times when I just could not bring myself to go to the beach because of the threat of being accosted again by the "throng". This must be addressed or it will continue to spoil peoples holidays.. Yes, they are poor and just trying to make a living, but we also have the right to be left alone immediately after asking the same.... this never happened despite hotel security presence.

As I do in such circumstances, I check the state of my bill at reception when nearing the end of our stay, and, as expected, the Taxi charges had been charged to my account... even though I'd prepaid transfers AND since I had no receipt for Room AND Transfers, they would have to refer it to the Manager.... This went on for two days until my checkout, when it was still on the bill. I simply refused to pay the taxi charges and left the hotel... Where was that Manager, for the entire week of my stay????

Anyway the highlight was a Safari:-

There are companies with very similar names to JT Safaris - some reported not so good - This review is about Julius Tact Safaris ( www.julius-safaris.com). Right from the start when negotiating the best 4D/3N safari for us, Julius Nzumbi was fantastic.

Do NOT book a safari through your hotel... they will overcharge, and under service you. The Baobab Hotel is so childish about this, they will not allow your Safari operator to pick you up at reception. I took great pride in wheeling my own luggage to the front gate to meet Sammy, who looked after us exceptionally for our entire trip.. THANKS SAMMY!!

Our Kids are 8 and 10... They enjoyed the holiday immensely, and will never forget it..

Take a good camera.. at least zoom to 300mm or preferably 400mm. Take a reasonable pair of Binoculars not less than 8 X 40 for best magnification and light intensity at morning and evening.

Just do it, if you are in any doubt. You will almost certainly enjoy it!!

Room Tip: Maridadi & Baobab seemed to be mostly English speaking, whilst Kole Kole was mostly Italian
5  Thank Burgo8888
Reviewed 5 September 2011

we stayed here combined with a 4 day safari package, the whole experience from start to end was amazing with no hassle what so ever. The staff in this hotel can not do enough to make your stay pleasant and dont have their hand out for tips as a consequence, so dont panick! The accomadation was amazing, although we did have a mosquito problem one night but this was sorted by noon the next day with no fuss and just a Jambo! The food is fresh and always such a large choice to suit even the most fussy persons needs, the only thing you will get bored of is eating such fine food without having to go into the kitchen. The location and grounds are beautiful and looked after to such a high standard. The wildlife in the hotel will also keep you amused, especially the monkeys who like a dougnut. This holiday and hotel was amazing and I can not fault any aspect and if I could I know it would have been sorted quickly, I know we will be going back at some point and are truely looking forward to going back to see our friends in the Baobab!

3  Thank keliewales