“Amazing!!!!!!!”

Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed at the Baobab in Feb for my honeymoon and had such a lovely 2 weeks away!
Staff are very friendly and very helpful. Rooms are very clean. Pool areas always clean and tidy. Food was out of this world and always lots available, myself and my husband ate far too much!!!
The only little annoyance was the Africans trying to sell you things on the beach but if you tell them your not interested in a stern voice they'll leave you alone!
I would definitely return here :-)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Arrived back home last week from our two week stay at the Baobab resort.
All staff gave us a warm, friendly welcome on arrival. We were allocated a superior room in the Baobab section. The room was absolutely lovely with a view of the sea complete with four poster bed.

The Kole Kole section of the hotel was closed for renovations as it was low season so we had the Baobab section and Maridadi section to choose from for pools and resturaunts. First few days we used the Maridadi section as I had read on here a lot of people preferred it there however we actually preferred to spend our time at the baobab pool and resturaunt as it had more atmosphere.

The entertainment team were fab. I personally enjoyed aqua gym in the mornings and watching the water polo being played, both at the baobab. This is also where the entertainment team based themselves from. You can watch them dance or just have a chat with them and play the bao game.
My husband and I also enjoyed beach walked organised by Jaluga. This is where you can have a lovely walk along the beach unharrased by the "beach boys"
We also went along for the entertainment shows everynight after we returned from safari. I really enjoyed every one of the shows.

Now the beach. Very quiet, with sand like sugar and the sea like bath water. Sounds paradise, not so! Unfortunately the beach boys are every bit as annoying as I have read in previous reviews if not more. As it was low season and a lot of other hotels in the area closed there was a higher concentration of beach boys hanging around. If you wanted to have a swim you had to run the gauntlet of BB's to get to the sea, once in you are shadowed by the shore line until you decide to get out and have to run the gauntlet again to get back. This does not make comfortable bathing!
However this is not the fault of the hotel as the beach does not belong to them.

The food we found to be delisious and not repetitive. Lots to choose from. I can be quite fussy but every new thing I tried, and I tried a lot of new things, I loved and always had a clean plate. All restaurant staff are so friendly and polite but I must mention Dorothy, Joseph and William who all worked in the baobab restaurant, whom we received excellent service from.

The hotel itself is kept spotlessly clean. We tipped our room staff, waitresses/ waiters and bar staff but there is a tip box at reception where I believe the money is shared out between all staff(cleaners,cooks,gardener a etc) we put quite a bit in at the end of out trip as I believe everyone there works very hard and deserve tipping.

Would we return? I would like to say yes but we received so much harassment on the beach I would have to say no for that reason only

south wales
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were part of the travellers who had to come home early because of the troubles luckily we had 9 days of a wonderful holiday , I will start first with the plane

we were on the Dreamliner plane in premier class I paid the extra for the premier and it was well worth it

The transfer to the resort

We also paid extra for a taxi to and from the resort, well what can I say ,!!!!What a experience !!!!! The poverty is there to see . These people needs help !!!you need to see it to believe it .
The ferry over is amazing thousands of people all crammed on like sardines cars, buses, motorbikes lorries and people all trying to get to work or to do their shopping
Mombasa town was a big eye opener it makes you feel how lucky we are in Britain

The hotel

It was lovely the staff were the best couldn't do enough for you and everyone always had a smile and a JAMBO

The room

Large 4 poster bed over looking the sea and next to the pool it was very clean and tidy and the monkeys were a lot of fun to watch them trying to steal anything they could get their hands on

The beach

Was the best I've ever been on beauiful and clean and white has snow BUT THE BEACH BOYS ,!!!, for me they were the worse , they never left anybody alone you could not swim in the sea or relax going for a walk it was impossible to have a sunbed on the sand because of them and for this reason I will never come back they spoilt my hoilday

Safari

I booked with JT SAFARI in Britain 2 months before I was told he was the best and he was WOW,!,!! We asked for a jeep on our own and we wanted to stay in a tent 2 days 1 night , KENNY was our guide and he excelled himself we seen, lions, elephants, mongoose, giraffe , hippos , etc we went on 4 game drives and had the best time of our lives many many thanks to Julius who made our holiday

FISHING

Our passion is fishing and for our last week were booked every day to fish , but the trouble stop us going .luckily we did get one days fishing in it was well organised and we had a great time (if anyone wants some more info please e-mail me ) many thanks to Raymond for our lovely day out and please thank your staff)

Overall view on our holiday

When we was told we had to cut our holiday short we didn't want to go , we thought it was a storm in a teacup , now on hindsight I think we were lucky if the bombers had known our times we were leaving I have NO DOUBT they would have tried to bomb us and the Kenyan people on the ferry going over to the airport . The threat was there and the home office did the right thing . So sad for us to say good bye to the staff and I would like to thank them for the wonderful holiday we had our thought go out to the families of the people who were killed

Room Tip: Ask at reception for a free upgrade they might give you one , have a higher room because of the monk...
3 Thank pontypoolgirl
Las Vegas, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We have recently returned from a week long trip to Baobab, and therefore only spent 13 nights there after our safari with First African Dream Safaris. On arriving the hotel staff made check in very painless and we were quickly shown to our rooms and left to explore. The room we were given was large, with two twin beds, despite booking a double, nice big bathroom and a small balcony overlooking the beach or a place to watch the monkeys which roam the resort.

We then explored the resort which is huge, actually made up of 3 separate resorts. There is 3 different pools, our favourite at the miridadi is 3 infinity pools split over 3 levels all with views of the sea, the bottom pool even has a swim up bar. The other pools were also nice, however we found that during the day they played annoying music and had aqua aerobics etc which was a bit 'Brits on tour' for us. However the hotel is that large that you can move away from it and find a nice relaxing spot.

When it came to the evening we had 3 restaurants to choose from that are in the all inclusive package. We found that they were all very similar with buffet style food in a variety of styles. However it is worth noting that 2 of these restaurants require gentlemen to wear trousers which caught me out on the first night. But overall the food was nice and plenty to choose from.

Throughout our stay the staff were amazing, very friendly and always willing to help out, having booked with fadsafaris we also found their rep very helpful providing us with lots of useful information on places to go and also explaining the tipping culture in Kenya.

Overall the hotel was really nice with all the facilities and good food. The staff are friendly and it was a nice place to spend a week.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Room Tip: please request Rooms on the south side of the beach are quit big and enjoyable
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank benard w
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Unfortunately our stay was cut far too short due to british tourist evacuation. However when allowed we will be going straight back! Staff were so friendly espescially reps moses and mercy who I very much hope to see when me and my girlfriend return!

Regarding things to do there are so many excursions just take your wallet! safaris to scuba diving boat trips camel riding snorkeling archery spice market etc etc etc theres so much to do I struggle to see how people ran out.

The rooms are decent remember your in a poor part of africa and personally added to my experience and my girlfriend was even happy with them and thats saying something.

Downside would be the beach. Unfortunately the beach belongs to the looky looky men and you wont find more than a few tourists on it due to the harrasment. However the pool does directly sit looking over the sea.

I would recommend this hotel and kenya to everyone although maybe not for young kids. We went in rainy season and despite not having or full two weeks there was no rain and plenty hot enough for us. Such a fantastic place and as soon as the travel ban is lifted we shall return.

Happy holidays

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank JLiddard
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Just returned after a 2 week holiday to the Baobab with my wife. The resort was beautiful and well maintained however after returning from Safari I felt there was not much to do.

I can only assume the place livens up a bit during the high season, but the Jambo team seemed very lethargic and staff around the activity areas made you feel as if you were bothering them by requesting to try activities e.g archery, beach walks.

The beach was absolutely stunning however it was deserted, To most people this sounds like paradise but with an empty beach comes an army of beach sellers. They outnumbered tourists on the beach at a ratio of 10:1. The word "no" was not something they have come to understand yet, they would follow you for the length of your walk along the beach then beg with you to spend money. Unfortunately the only way to deal with them was to be down right rude and some people are not comfortable with this.

The food at the hotel was to an OK standard. However on the downside it was very repetitive. You would find that whatever was left over at dinner would be served again at breakfast. I for one wouldn't eat saag aloo or banana crumble and custard for breakfast and would assume most people would agree!! Also another downfall was the food in the buffet serving trays was always cold, the only time food was served hot was if it was cooked in front of you on one of the grills.

On the plus side the staff were out of this world, everyone would go out of their way to help you whether you tip or not. This was right through the hotel from the waiters on breakfast to the pool attendants exchanging towels!

We went on the 3 night Ndogo adventure safari organised by Thomson. The safari itself was carried out by Pollmans and I can't recommend them enough. Our tour guide Mohammed was amazing, every question we asked he had answers for them all. His knowledge on every animal we saw was excellent, and his spotting ability was unreal. We found a lot of other visitors queuing behind us as our guide always seemed to be the one spotting. If we ever go back to Kenya on safari we would personally ask for Mohammed to take us, he was that good!

All in all the holiday itself was brilliant purely for the amazing time we had on safari. If I was to return to Kenya it would be during the High season though, just to have a better chance of not being hounded by the beach boys!

2 Thank Michael R
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spent four nights with my wife in Baobab Beach Resort & spa. Since we were celebrating our thirty years wedding anniversary we were to look for a better place, hence the search. Our search settled us to this prestigious resort and we booked it to spent our holiday there. It actually never disappointed, i would say. All our expectations were met. Our room was located at Baobab wing and was so spacious & very clean with smart and clean clothing. The other wings were KOLEKOLE & MARIDADI. Each wing had a swimming pool but our preferred pool was at Maridadi wing, a trio- pool, water spilling from one pool to the other. This pool is quiet and is manned by very active and nice guys. we didn't change restaurants, all through we dinned at the restaurant near the Baobab reception. it was all inclusive and every thing worked well. Talk of any category of food, the choice is enormous, be careful you may leave out any type of food you want thinking its not there because the counters are many. If you are a guest here, you will not regret. The entire staff is taking public relation and customer care very highly, they are so friendly, talk nicely with a sense of humor. The beach was nice and we enjoyed swimming in the ocean although at times the water was very violent and no body dared enter the sea at that time. Every evening we attended entertainments at porini amphitheatre. This was wow! The dancers performed so well. We missed it the first day we left the hotel! Having said all these, we had a small hitch with our CAKE on our third day, the day we were to cerebrate our wedding anniversary. This we had to invite the intervention of the operations Manager, Mr Philip Mbugua and the problem was quickly sorted out. Thank you Mr Mbugua for the extra mile you went to make us comfortable. All in all we had a great holiday and anniversary.We sincerely thank the entire Baobab team, without whom our anniversary holiday could not be that GREAT!!... We will come again.

Room Tip: All rooms are suitable here, but i prefer rooms in 2 or 3 floors, where you have a wide and far vie...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple