We visited last July for the third time and were very disappointed on this visit. We had previously visited twice (prior 2010), staying at both Kole Kole and Maridadi and absolutely loved everything about the Baobab resort but it has gone downhill since new management took over.
We stayed in the Maridadi wing where rooms are well designed and spacious. We had booked rooms more than 9 months before our visit as we were a large party and specifically requested rooms close to each other which we were assured would be no problem. On arrival, we were allocated rooms far apart and in different wings and had to argue to get the rooms allocated close by.
Our biggest gripe during our stay was that we had no hot water in our room. We called on the first day and after 5 phone calls and waiting 1 hour, a staff member came but the outcome was warm water for 4-5mins then it turning cold again. On the second evening, we had the same problem and again made more than 5 phone calls - eventually we gave up and showered in a family member's room so we could go and have dinner. On the third day, I got really annoyed and went to reception, demanding to speak to the manager. After getting extremely annoyed and complaining, they they finally sent someone who was able to fix the problem but this was our last night. This is terrible service and I should not have to get annoyed and shout to get a resolution - I asked nicely and made more than 10 phone calls about the same issue with no outcome.
The room was immaculate on arrival but when workmen came to attempt to fix the hot water they left muddy footprints in the bathroom. These were not cleaned by housekeeping on subsequent visits, nor were visibly dirty towels changed for clean ones. No toiletries were replaced either.
Staff on the whole are lovely but we found a couple in the Baobab restaurant were rude and difficult. Also, there is a rule where men are not allowed to wear shorts in the evening which is completely acceptable but they enforce it selectively which is not right. If someone claims they do not have trousers or they are 'young' (i.e. 16-21), they allow them to dine in shorts but they force others to change. It should be one rule for all guests.
On the plus side, the grounds are absolutely beautiful and you truly feel like you are in paradise. Food is brilliant, especially for vegetarian diets, with lots of variety and fresh pasta bar everyday. You are able to eat at all restaurants in the hotel and we found the Baobab restaurant was very poor in quality and variety compared to Maridadi and Kole Kole so we recommend one of the latter for meals. There are lots of activities throughout the day and the beach is absolutely beautiful. To those who complain about the beach boys - they are on every public beach in Kenya and that is how it is. If you do not like it, you can always pick a more expensive hotel with a private beach.
Overall, this hotel has been one of my favourites since it opened but this last visit did not leave me impressed. Next time i visit Mombasa, I will be trying one of the other excellent hotels there are available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the world famous Diani Beach. The resort comprises three luxurious properties – The Baobab, The Maridadi and Kole Kole, offering a unique selection of exquisite accommodation and facilities spread across the resort grounds. Guestrooms have been specifically designed to provide paramount comfort and luxury for all our clients. Guests may utilise leisure facilities across the resort including 3 swimming pools, dining areas and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Jovago.com, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Baobab Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Baobab - Baobab Beach Resort And Spa
- The Baobab - Baobab Beach Hotel Ukunda
- Baobab Beach Hotel Diani