“Become worse over time”

Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We visited last July for the third time and were very disappointed on this visit. We had previously visited twice (prior 2010), staying at both Kole Kole and Maridadi and absolutely loved everything about the Baobab resort but it has gone downhill since new management took over.

We stayed in the Maridadi wing where rooms are well designed and spacious. We had booked rooms more than 9 months before our visit as we were a large party and specifically requested rooms close to each other which we were assured would be no problem. On arrival, we were allocated rooms far apart and in different wings and had to argue to get the rooms allocated close by.

Our biggest gripe during our stay was that we had no hot water in our room. We called on the first day and after 5 phone calls and waiting 1 hour, a staff member came but the outcome was warm water for 4-5mins then it turning cold again. On the second evening, we had the same problem and again made more than 5 phone calls - eventually we gave up and showered in a family member's room so we could go and have dinner. On the third day, I got really annoyed and went to reception, demanding to speak to the manager. After getting extremely annoyed and complaining, they they finally sent someone who was able to fix the problem but this was our last night. This is terrible service and I should not have to get annoyed and shout to get a resolution - I asked nicely and made more than 10 phone calls about the same issue with no outcome.

The room was immaculate on arrival but when workmen came to attempt to fix the hot water they left muddy footprints in the bathroom. These were not cleaned by housekeeping on subsequent visits, nor were visibly dirty towels changed for clean ones. No toiletries were replaced either.

Staff on the whole are lovely but we found a couple in the Baobab restaurant were rude and difficult. Also, there is a rule where men are not allowed to wear shorts in the evening which is completely acceptable but they enforce it selectively which is not right. If someone claims they do not have trousers or they are 'young' (i.e. 16-21), they allow them to dine in shorts but they force others to change. It should be one rule for all guests.

On the plus side, the grounds are absolutely beautiful and you truly feel like you are in paradise. Food is brilliant, especially for vegetarian diets, with lots of variety and fresh pasta bar everyday. You are able to eat at all restaurants in the hotel and we found the Baobab restaurant was very poor in quality and variety compared to Maridadi and Kole Kole so we recommend one of the latter for meals. There are lots of activities throughout the day and the beach is absolutely beautiful. To those who complain about the beach boys - they are on every public beach in Kenya and that is how it is. If you do not like it, you can always pick a more expensive hotel with a private beach.

Overall, this hotel has been one of my favourites since it opened but this last visit did not leave me impressed. Next time i visit Mombasa, I will be trying one of the other excellent hotels there are available.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank innocent26
Write a ReviewReviews (1,614)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have just returned from a week stay at this resort end of June and I would highly recommend this resort. Baobab Beach resort is without a doubt one of the best resorts in Diani Beach. We arrived in Diani Beach after our 4 day Safari in Masai Mara. We flew with Safari Link from Wilson Airport in Nairobi to Ukunda Airport in Diani Beach which was a 90 minute flight and only 10 minutes road transfer then from Ukunda Airport to the Baobab, it was really convenient flying into Diani rather then Mombasa Airport and then taking the ferry etc. On arrival at the resort we were greeted by a really sweet lady called Mama Africa which is her nickname at Baobab Resort. Each day she was always so well presented in stunning African outfits. Mama Africa was always in great form and making sure all the guests were okay.
We stayed in the Maridadi Section of the resort which was absolutely beautiful, we had a really spacious hotel room, beautifully decorated with a very large bathroom and walk-in shower and large balcony. All the furniture in our hotel room including our four poster bed was coconut wood which was amazing. Our room attendant Justin always kept our room so clean and tidy!! Maridadi section has a beautiful cascading pool along with a swim up bar, this section of the hotel is more chilled and quieter compared to the main pool at Baobab. It is nice to have the option of having a quieter pool area if you wish or if you want a bit of entertainment and music there are always pool side activities at the Baobab pool.
We dined in both the Baobab and Maridadi restaurants during our stay and the choice of food is exactly the same in all sections of the resort for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the choice on offer is absolutely fantastic, food is delicious!! The service in the restaurants was fantastic, we got to know so many of the staff and they were always smiling and very helpful including both Milly and Sammie in the Maridadi Restaurant who are fantastic at their jobs!!
Baobab Resort is located on a beautiful stretch of beach, turquoise waters and pure white sand. We enjoyed lovely walks along the beach when the tide was out in the morning time, yes there are beach boys coming up to you a lot of the time but once you say No they do tend to get the message and keep walking. When the tide is in you can simply walk down few steps from the resort straight into the ocean which is beautiful and there are no beach boys to hassle you then. There is a really good watersports centre at the resort where you can book to go diving. There are excellent diving spots in Mombasa and very reasonable also.
We had an excellent rep service during our stay at this resort which were Pollmans Representatives and they had an office at Baobab Resort which was very handy. Naomie our Rep was always so helpful and friendly, they provide an excellent service.
I would highly recommend this resort if you are looking to go to Mombasa Beach. We felt really safe in Diani Beach during our stay, there is excellent 24 hour security throughout the resort. Staff are so warm and friendly and always smiling which makes Kenya such a wonderful destination to visit!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Claire S
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I should have written this review a long time ago since I was there in February 2012 for my honeymoon. I tried to book a room in the baobab division but unfortunately it was full and I was booked in Meridadi. And it qas even better! ! The room was perfect in every aspect. Neat, clean, had perfect view and spacious! All the restaurants had delicious food varieties from different cuisine. The staff are friendly and helpful! Everything worked perfectly for our honeymoon in Baobab! I'd definitely go there again whenever I get a chance!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MichaelSabry
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel for a week in early May but the weather let us down. Rain all day and all the restaurants nearby the hotel (out of the resort) were shut due to off-peak season. Staff very attentive and food generally very good. But our timing was off. And the beach boys were INCREDIBLY annoying and at times even aggressive when you said no to them, which ruined any walks down the beach we tried.

Room Tip: Stay in Maridadi wing to have close access to pool without loud music (baobab).
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mhrls
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here with my wife from 14 Jun - 25 June - transfer is a bit long, but it is great experience drive through Mombasa. The resort was beautiful, well maintained, kept extremely clean and located in beautiful tropical gardens.

The staff were truly amazing, everyone would go out of their way to help you whether you tip or not. This was right through the hotel from the waiters on breakfast to the pool attendants exchanging towels! They had always smile on their faces and were so friendly.

We went on the 1 night Tsavo East adventure safari organised by JT Safari who has a new office near Diani Sea Resort. I can't recommend them enough. Our tour guide Ken was amazing. Ken was very friendly, very experienced and knowledgeable. Ken was punctual throughout our safari ensuring that we were always informed of the plan for the day. He was excellent spotter. There would be plenty of animals which we would never have seen without his excelent knowledge and eyes. He always made a few jokes and whole trip was full of fun and animals.

All in all the holiday itself was brilliant for the amazing time on safari and time spent at Baobab.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lukas-Oboril
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I came here on honeymoon and the Baobab was really special. The location is idyllic and the food is absolutely amazing. Much of it is cooked fresh to order. My wife is a vegetarian and had plenty of options during our two week stay.

The monkeys are great and provide a lot of entertainment. Boys on the beach are a bit of a pain.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I visited the Baobab Beach resort and Spa on business. I had for a long time wanted to book a holiday at Baobab. The property is huge. With 3 hotels in one, it looks really amazing. The swimming pools are fantastic and pleasing to the eye. If staying at Baobab, it is possible to use the pools and restaurants at any of the other two hotels- its like free access.

I stayed on the Baobab end, and took a standard room. The rooms are ok, nothing out of this world, but for a few extra shillings (about 2,000 at the time of this review) I would recommend that one takes the superior rooms, they are more spacious and look fantastic. Furniture is even much better than the ones in the standard rooms.

Food was alright, nothing out of the ordinary. However, I feel that service will really let the hotel down. Being a local, I felt that the service received was skewed in favor of foreigners- some staff are not really interested in listening to you/ serving you with the same standards of excellence as they would for the foreigners.

It rained quite a bit on my visit there, when the rains stopped, one would find the corridors wet from the rain water- which in itself is a hazard.

Otherwise, I would rate it as merely OK, nothing in particular would make me strongly recommend them.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get the superior rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business