We chose The Baobab Beach Resort for our wedding after my mother-in-law and father-in-law had been to Kenya several times before. On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted with a warm welcome and cold drinks. We booked the suite in the Kole Kole which was very grand, with large jacuzzi bath and wet room. We had a queen size four poster bed. Every member of staff stops to chat and greets you with a warm "JAMBO". You instantly relax as soon as you arrive at The Baobab. So funny seeing monkeys and baboons ready to swoop on any unguarded food or drinks.
We booked the wedding package through first choice but I would strongly recommend booking direct through Renson Adoyo on his website kenyanweddings.co.uk. as he was so professional and a genuinely nice guy. Booking direct is cheaper and First Choice didn't do anything to warrant any money. Renson allayed any fears or concerns within 30 seconds of meeting him. He has over 18 years experience as a wedding co-ordinator and it shows. He tailored the package to suit us and we could completely switch off and soak in the sun.
The food was five star, better than any I've tried before; fillet steak, crab meat, oysters, king prawn stir fries, you name it, they had it. The service is unbelievable, as soon as you put down your glass, it's refilled. We had massages and facials at the spa which were wonderful and great value for money. Simon and Vincent were excellent. The gardeners and cleaning staff work tirelessly to ensure the resort is maintained to perfection.
The animation team are hilarious and some of the acrobat shows are incredible to watch. The beach is amazing but the beach boys swarm around you as soon as you set foot on the sand. A firm "No thank you" or ignoring them normally works pretty well but they can be very annoying. Much better to step out when the tide is in.
We were a bit naive got a bit carried away with tipping. One or two dollars is plenty but we were tipping everyone 10 dollars a time.
We booked a safari through JT Safaris who are a very professional outfit. We booked a 1 day safari at Shimba Hills which in hindsight, we wouldn't have booked. There are very, very few animals there. The lunch was absolutely lovely at Shimba Hills Lodge, watching huge monitor lizards and turtles feasting. Tsavo East and West come highly recommended but ideally need to be a 2 day safari. To be fair, Julius did warn us that Shimba Hills isn't the best before we booked it.
I would certainly return to Kenya and would definitely recommend The Baobab.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the world famous Diani Beach. The resort comprises three luxurious properties – The Baobab, The Maridadi and Kole Kole, offering a unique selection of exquisite accommodation and facilities spread across the resort grounds. Guestrooms have been specifically designed to provide paramount comfort and luxury for all our clients. Guests may utilise leisure facilities across the resort including 3 swimming pools, dining areas and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, Jovago.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Baobab Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Baobab - Baobab Beach Hotel Ukunda
- The Baobab - Baobab Beach Resort And Spa
- Baobab Beach Hotel Diani