Review of Ocean Village Club

and 1 more site!
Ocean Village Club
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Its the real definition of a beachfront getaway. The deluxe rooms are a must stay for someone looking for luxury and the interior is uniquely ultramodern. The hotel is also all inclusive and the cocktails have the funniest names ever that make you want to taste each one of them. Only concern is the TV channels are too few and DSTV should probably be installed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nelson G

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I thought it was exactly what I was looking for. It's not the Four Seasons but solidly good value. A charming, low rise, mid-sized hotel.

Extremely mellow (jazz by the pool), which was reflected in the clientele - mostly couples and groups of friends relaxing. Thank goodness this was NOT your standard AI with loud discos and package tourists knocking back shots and pints by 11am. Tourists were mostly French, German and Russian.

The beach is stunning. At low tide the inner reef is exposed and to swim you need to walk a few metres to the left. If venturing out between the inner and outer reefs, bring wet shoes as there are urchins.

- 25-40% occupancy which was perfect - plenty of spare deckchairs and sofas so no need to fight and book shade spots
- charming service. Standout examples from Josiah Soloman (security), Athman & Salim (grill), Thomas (bar), Grace (reservations), Ali (front desk).
- newly refurbished Deluxe rooms - very charming and surprisingly spacious.
- excellent security (out of 5-6 hotels I popped into along the beach, this was the only that stopped me when a new guard didn't recognise me).
- decent food - reasonable quality and choice esp at lunch and dinner. breakfast was a bit same-y but acceptable.
- sympathetically designed grounds, elegant pool area.
- monkeys weren't really a problem, keep food and shiny objects covered.
- good location - an hours easy walk into town along the beach (not much other than Nakumatt, banks, souvenir and market stalls) - 45 mins walk the other way for kite surfing. 30KHS for a matatu into town.
- reasonable night entertainment - the jazz duo were excellent as were the traditional dancers. others were a little more mixed - sometimes hilarious.
- hadly any mozzies - due to the constant breeze from the sea which was a major bonus!

To be improved:
- shower gel and shampoo were barely acceptable quality which surprised me. No conditioner or body lotion but available for purchase in the shop (only slightly more expensive than Nakumatt). I brought my own toiletries given sheyashah's review and was glad I did.
- the gym was indeed a joke - 3 pieces of dusty equipment and a couple of mats. Not a big issue for me personally as there was an excellent ocean to swim in but either do a proper gym or don't advertise one - not sure you need one.
- difficult to find email and telephone details on the website. I had to google it and eventually found it on tripadviser. C'mon guys - you have a lovely hotel - you need to market this better.
- house white and rose wines were awful. The red was just about acceptable if you had to have something - most of the French guests stuck to this.

Overall: Absolutely loved it and thoroughly recommend it. They have done some really excellent work on the food and the renovations. The hotel is lovely if you are looking for a mellow, relaxing break. Hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms in Blocks A and B can feel a bit exposed but not really an issue unless you are particu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank bonoglobetrotter
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at Ocean Village club for 3 days. We were four friends and enjoyed every moment there. The hotel is inclusive of food, drinks and snacks. Hotel staff is good and caring.
There are indoor and outdoor games available. We played Lawn tennis, Table tennis, volleyball etc.
The swimming pool is good. we used to be in it at least twice a day.

Hotel hosts an event every night, We could see Music night, Masai Dance and one other tribal dance.

Rooms of the hotels are good and drawing room was quite spacious.

Overall the experience at Ocean village was awesome. And we enjoyed too much here that we even did not go out to see other places in Mombasa.

Amazing time. Thank you Ocean Village.

Room Tip: Rooms at beach side are good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sumit008
Reviewed 11 January 2014

With 2 kids with us, we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, ample space for all of us, with a good sized bathroom and balcony and even an external shower on the balcony. However in our room the neighbouring room could see into our balcony so the shower was not of much use.....poor design!

The room decor was modern/contemporary. The bathroom had a double sink but a very small bath tub with a powerful handheld shower and no curtain, resulting in water all over the floor.

The food was good, no tummy bugs for any of us which is always a bonus!!

Staff were generally ok with most providing half decent service.

The main pool didn't have a lifeguard during our stay, something we would have appreciated with young kids. However they do have a kids pool attached to the main pool.

The hotel had decent landscaping and gardens which the kids enjoyed.

Of course the beach is lovely, white sands and beautiful blue ocean!!

All in all a good clean hotel with decent facilities and food

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Immy001
Reviewed 26 December 2013

• Found it a bit strange that the first meeting point is the concierge and then the reception is near the beach.
• For a grande deluxe room, the bathroom amenities are poor- no moisturizer or shower cap provided. Quality of shower gel and shampoo was awful.
• As much as the rooms have a big and ‘deep’ balcony if you are in the first row that is blocks A and B, there is not much privacy as people walking by can see through the room. It would have helped to have some other form of natural light/ and air other than just the main door and also perhaps to have the main glass door slightly tinted so that it is not completely see through.
• The bathroom has no natural ventilation which often made it smelly.
• The floor of the shower cubicle had these loose pebbled tiles with no proper drainage visible. I wondered how they cleaned these.
• Room cleanliness on some days was not up to standards. The in room mugs wouldn’t be washed, jug of water on some days would be refilled and some days not…
• Lighting in the bathroom especially in the shower is inadequate
• We were there for 8 nights and felt the sheets and bed linen could have done with a change- we had to request for them to be changed.
• Not an all inclusive by any standards. There are no snacks throughout the day and even if one is willing to pay they have no snack/bar menu! I visited the hotel when I was expecting and I often felt hungry or needed snacks to nibble on, especially mid morning. When I asked the kitchen staff they said they don’t do anything like that even if I was willing to pay. The reply I got was ‘but breakfast ends at 10.30 and lunch starts at 1pm’ so you just wait!’
• There is nothing like tea time where pastries and tea time snacks are laid out. You have to go looking and asking for them.
• Getting packed lunch boxes was a mission. It took so much explaining and clarification. I asked if they provide juice and the waiters eyes popped out saying ‘how can we pack juEEce’? I have lived in a variety of hotels in Diani and other places on the Kenyan coast and a lunch box is a standard item but at Ocean Village it was something very complicated.
• The drinks on offer on all inclusive, in particular the beer is of the lowest quality, albeit served by the bottle. For most Kenyans to drink a beer called Allsops is a joke. On some days tonic water and gingerale were chargeable and on other days it was part of the all inclusive.
• Food is a very mediocre affair. The quality is totally not I expected for the price we were paying. It’s the kind of place that serves margarine instead of butter, the most diluted canned juice, and the cheapest brand of food coloring and artificial flavoring and sugar packed as ‘strawberry jam’.
• Desserts on offer were of very poor quality.
• Every single day the aperitif was served with mini pizza. No creativity at all or initiative to make use of local ingredient or serve different things, say like Cassava chips.
• Vegetarian food is very difficult to get. After I made a lot of noise I got some service but the chefs were totally clueless about basic oriental or Indian cuisine. Everyday I had to tell them what they can make for me rather than them being forthcoming and suggesting a menu.
• We were told of a chef coming from Europe but we never even saw anybody going round asking guests if everything was ok.
• Breakfast- the toaster is an antique machine which requires you to manually remove the bread using a stick
• Even when the hotel was quite busy they had the most impractical tiny brass things to serve tea and coffee in. They were never labeled and there was just one set of those serving kettles. I often wondered about the hygiene of those pots. The concept of a having your morning pot of tea or coffee seemed liked rocket science.
• At breakfast time it was a mission to be tea/hot water served by the pot up until the last day. You’d think they’d get it right after a few days.
• I am a vegetarian and for the first 2 days I asked to see the chef and was repeatedly denied access to him.
• On the third day, being totally dissatisfied with the choice of food on offer I made a written request to the chef of what I would like. The restaurant ‘manager’ gave me a piece of paper n pen to write my request. When I was done she just took it without even reading or checking it. When I went to the dining area at 11.30 am the chef was not even aware of my request.
• When all my complaints went unanswered the only thing that worked to get some kind of service and attention to requests was me threatening to check out.
• Even then service was so mediocre. All the waiters seemed like trainees with no basic knowledge about anything. It was hard to make them understand the simplest of things whether we spoke in English or Swahili.
• The overall attitude and service by all the staff is very very wanting. They all seemed like a very disgruntled lot. My husband had a leg injury and was walking with crutches. The waiters were inconsiderate to even offer to hold his plate or help him as he goes round the buffet section.
• ‘ Service with a smile’ was a foreign concept to the waiters, unless you had tipped them on day one or you happened to be an ‘international tourist’ and not a domestic one. On the fourth day, the waiter who had been serving us from day one suddenly said ‘ karibu mama, jambo, unatoka Nairobi? Habari ya huko’ I was thinking what changed?
• One waiter it seemed only knew about 5 words of English. Every single time it was ‘Yes mista anything problem’?
• The dining chairs are quite low and uncomfortable so my husband, due to his injury he asked the waiter if he could get a cushion from the sofas. The waiter said ‘ not possible, they are for the sofa’. So we went and got one ourselves! Some service.
• The hotel and kitchen it felt were running without any senior management who would do his rounds, check on guests and make sure everything was working. I never once got to meet the manager or food and beverage manager or anybody asking us if we were ok.
• I am shocked and surprised how this hotel got so many excellent ratings on even an award!
• In summary if you are a Kenyan who has been around and experienced Kenyan hospitality then you are in for a shock. It doesn’t quite cater to local tourists or any special requests and is NOT all inclusive in any way.
• The dining room is small and cramped and inadequate to accommodate everyone comfortably. When we were there occupancy must have been only 50% and it still was so congested.
• Other than the pool bar there is no other beach bar or restaurant. It would have been nice to have a bar by the beach where you can have a drink and enjoy the breeze.
• The monkeys and baboons are a total nuisance.
• The beach beds are the most impractical and inconvenient. They are so uncomfortable. And have a separate back support. They have no wheels so to move them is very difficult and you need 2 people to carry them.
• For what we paid I didn’t find it value for money. It is a hotel with 5 star rooms but 2-3 star quality food and service.
• It’s a place with potential if management pays attention to these things.

Room Tip: The front room- Block A and B have a good view of the ocean but they lack privacy. • As much as the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shreyashah
oceanvillageclub, Director of property owner's company at Ocean Village Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Ocean Village mission statement says : " A happy Client is our goal ".

Naturally ,reading this Client's comments, the Directors jumped on their chairs and asked for an explanation from the Manager ( whose job is on the line....).

Here are some of the Manager's comments :

................... we have a tip that she might have came from.................. ( competitor's name ) , we have reasons to believe so.

We tried to approach them several times, they were just here with a mission, to destroy !

With guests like this, what to say ?

( Joao Carvalho- Manager ).

According to Trip Advisor' 95% of Ocean Village clients like Ocean Village.

95% is not enough. We aim at 99% happy clients.

We accept that there will always be the occasional 1% that might have his own agenda.

One year ago we had a client that bitterly complained about airconditioning.

Before leaving the hotel he came to the office and offered to sell the airconditioners he imports into Kenya..................................

We take this opportunity to thank all those clients that have , so far , given us a 95% thumbs up.

We also take this opportunity to thank all those Clients that have suggested improvements,

At Ocean Village we listen. We are looking into suggestions and, whenever possible-practical , we will do our best to implement them.

Rest assured : ." a happy Client is our goal " !

The Directors.

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Nice warm staff, laid back atmosphere, great rooms, had a great weekend solo by the sea. The rooms are simple, the decor simple but beautiful, bathrooms new and the very clean. Great view to the sea, clean waters, no stones pure white sand beach. On the downside the food could be a bit diversified.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MiguelGaspar
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We just checked out yesterday and are already planning on going back soon. It was a wonderful experience and we were amazed by the friendly staff and service, even for Kenyan standards which as we came to know are quite high… The hotel's environment, beach, garden, gazebo's, bar and restaurant are tastefully designed and you feel immediately at home. Rooms are very clean and recently renovated (at least the Deluxe rooms) and the bed was really big and comfortable. The size of the hotel is also ideal, not too big not too small. There is a peaceful and relaxed vibe all over the place and the view of the ocean is breathtaking. Wonderful place to relax after a safari. You can enjoy the animation they offer but they are not pushy and respect your wish of being let alone if so is the case. The food was also varied and fresh with wonderful meat and great pizzas and pasta. There is something for everyone! As advised by the hotel management: never feed the cute looking monkeys! We heard that at hotels nearby they became a pest and here they are still being kept under control by the pool security. Thanks to the whole staff and management, you are doing a great job and hope to see you soon again!

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe room if possible…it's worth the extra bucks!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple