“A lovely week in Arillas”
Review of Makris Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arillas
Makris Apartments
Ranked #3 of 6 Arillas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I have just recently returned from a fabulous week in Arillas. It was my first visit to Corfu, and because it was so lovely, i'll be back for 2 weeks next year :-)

Apartments
A couple of months prior to arriving, i emailed the apartments to request a top floor room with a pool view, which i got so i was very happy with that.
The are very spacious, basic but clean apartments. Balcony, bedroom, bathroom and seperate kitchen. The self catering equipment/utensils could do with being replaced, or even cleaned. Seems the people who used the items previously didn't bother to wash them :-/ - I only made breakfast & lunch in the apartment a couple of times so it was adequate. I couldn't cook in the evening though as the kitchen had no light (it didn't work) so it would have been a bit dangerous! lol - I went out most nights anyway so wasn't an issue for me.
The bins were emptied nearly every day, toilet roll was topped up on my last day and got a set of fresh towels half way through the week.

Air conditioning and safety deposit boxes are available, not sure of the price as i didn't need either of them.
Instead of checking out at 12, i was able to keep my room on til 5pm for an extra €25 - that's pretty reasonable i guess, though another family (of 4) got to keep their room on all day for only €30! so maybe i should have been charged a little less?!

Pool & Bar area
Lovely pool and bar area.
Nice family, especially Maria, she always made the effort to chat with everyone - and she makes great cocktails :D (Thank you Maria x)
Food & Drinks were great and reasonably priced. I only ate there a couple of times as i was out most days. I would have eaten breakfast here everyday had they opened earlier.
I am up early so like my breakfast around 8ish, no later than 9 - some days, they only just opened up at 9:45! way too late for me!
Pool was lovely, only went in twice though i think because it was always pretty busy and a little noisy sometimes. I found the beach was quieter and more easy to relax on, more peaceful, which was what i was looking for.
If you're one to go to bed early, there's a chance you may be woken up as it can get a little noisy in the evenings. Niko, Lena's little boy has a good set of lungs on him too so expect to hear him also! lol

The Makris Apartments are about a 10 minute walk to the nearest supermarket and bakery (the 4 cheese pie & fruit tart are a must!!) and about 10 - 20 minute walk down to the beach.

Overall, i had a fantastic week! so good that i have already booked to return for 2 weeks next year. I'll be staying in apartments closer to the beach/restaurants though, some evenings, after a long day out - walking back to the Makris seemed a bit of a hike, when you're warm & tired, being furthest away from everything gets a little tiring.

Had such a great week, can't wait to go back :-)

(i'll add some photo's soon!)

Room Tip: Room 2 for families of 3+ - groundfloor room with a nice view of the pool or Room 9 for 1-3 people...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Rachel88x

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Really fabulous place, well-positioned for Arillas. Beautiful pool, lovely neat grounds, incredibly friendly staff, comfortable rooms. Tasty and simple food in the Pool Bar.

I say 'wonderfully basic' in the title as this really is the best description I can provide- (thankfully) no entertainment in the evenings etc. I unplugged the TV at the wall (to remove the standby light) and it wasn't turned on once while we were there.

P.S. It was really hot when we were there but we waited before purchasing the air-conditioning (@ €7 per night I thought this was quite expensive). Glad we didn't bother- room (no 8) was nice and cool without it.

Room Tip: * see tip in above description re a/c, can't say if this would be the case for all rooms but cer...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ab0681
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Heading back to Corfu after 25 years, now with family, we were slightly worried that it would not live up to our memories. These worries were completely dispelled.
Makris offers basic but lovely accommodation. We were in one of the larger apartments with 2 balconies over looking the pool. It was charming, friendly and perfectly relaxing. The family running the complex made us feel so welcomed. Their small bar area serves good reasonably priced snacks and meals throughout the day. Chocolate milk shakes were highly rated! There were always lots of sunbeds and umbrellas round the pool area. It is less than a ten minute walk to the local bakery, which has great bread and croissants, the adjoining super market has a good range of basic foods. We even got free plums because we were kept waiting ( Tesco take note).
It takes 10-15 minutes to walk to the village, depending on the heat! Arillas itself is lovely and unspoilt, with a good selection of tavernas and restaurants, a sandy beach offering pedaloes, banana boat etc. and marked out walking trails around the village and cliffs.
We were delighted with our holiday at Makris Apartments and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Sunsets terrific from rooms overlooking pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Kalek
Reviewed 23 June 2013

i travelled here to celebrate my friends wedding anniversary fantastic place just out of town but a lovely walk so it didnt bother us. Rooms had a seperate well stocked kitchen hairdryer and travel plug all supplied. The family who run the makris made us feel very welcome and i have made some new friends and want to visit again soon !!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank JAYFAMILY
Reviewed 17 June 2013

just returned from our third time at Makris and had yet another fantastic holiday.we even took friends this time and all had a wonderful holiday. Family run and could not do enough for us to make our holiday enjoyable. Cant wait to go back

Room Tip: poolside rooms have seaview
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank mrsbells
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with seven other friends after many recommendations and we were not disappointed
Staff can't do enough for you food was lovely and it is just the right distance from the beach shops and tavernas
Perfect for grown ups who want to get away from it all
Will definately be going back

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank netty70
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in July 2012 for one week. A great hotel in a decent location. Food is average standard. Getting to the beach in the heat can seem like a really far walk but it takes about 10-15 minutes. There are few places to go to book excursions but I would fully recommend the boat trip to Paxos and Anti-paxos. For 30 euros each we were out the whole day and it was absolutely beautiful - even let us off for a dip in the sea to cool off!
Near the hotel, if you come out of the hotel and walk left there is an absolutely stunning fish restaurant! We would have gone there every night if we hadn't found it so late on. Fresh fish and the owner was lovely!
The rooms in the hotel are basic, we had a pool view balcony. The only problem we really had with the room was that the air con dripped onto the balcony but we soon solved it with a bucket.
Air con price was 7 euro per night last year - a little pricey but some days were almost 50 degrees celsius, so it was well required!
The beds around the pool were always available but the beach was also a good place to go - i think they were 2.50 euro each for the whole day.
On the beach front were some lovely food places and I forget the name of the one we liked the most but the man that run it was really fun and friendly (he also has a lobster tank at the back).
The beach is lovely, nudist one side and not on the other. Water sports were available but not really our thing so we didn't take part in that. Sand was nice yet quite hot. Beach isn't rocky except near the shore line at some hours as shells are brought back in. Water is lovely and warm enough to go in for a swim. You could also see little fish at the shoreline.

I wouldn't go to this area if you are expecting english food like burgers as it is all Greek. I think the area would also be most suited for couples, adults and families with older children. There isn't much to do for younger children except an excursion to their famous waterpark which could get quite pricey.

A trip to Corfu Town is also recommended. Very qwerky and old fashioned - it's beautiful. We took a horse and cart ride around for a while as well which was lovely.

Would definitely go back to Arillas and would consider staying at the hotel again. Family there were friendly and happy to help. We are going to Crete this year to try something new and see what we feel about all inclusive.

Feel free to ask any questions if there's something I've not added. Thanks :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple