“Not Good”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Asked for "Monk" fish which my wife had last year and was very good.
When the meal arrived it was served as Monk fish, but take my word for it, monk fish is not 10 mm thick has little taste and looks like "sole" fish.
Taken for fools again.
We will not return
Not a nice setting to have a meal while two dogs were rolling around and a feral cat was scrounging for scraps.

3  Thank Daveeboy007

Reviewed 30 June 2013

The only place to go for a traditional fish meal, the owner (Thomas) usually catches his own fish and therefore guaranteed to be fresh at all times, you can order other meals should your party not all eat fish. This restaurant is always busy therefore pre-booking is advised.

3  Thank christopher g
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Fabulous fish here also other food too. Book in advance as always busy. yummy deserts too. great value fo money. definately worth a visit

2  Thank mrsbells
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This was our 5th visit to Arillas and every year I have vowed to eat at the Fish Taverna - this year we finally made the walk round there.
I'd heard so many glowing reports about the monkfish that I knew before opening the menu that would be my choice. I do wish now that I'd tried one of the grilled fresh fish as I was quite disappointed by the monkfish.
I love monkfish usually and expected a fat, meaty fillet and was quite surprised when my plate arrived. In fact, I wasn't sure at first if this was even monkfish. Quite a flat, long fillet that had been pan fried in a flour/batter coating. It tasted nice but the coating was pretty oily and spoilt the flavour of the fish. Served with pretty basic chips and some dreadful vegetables.
I think if I hadn't had such a high expectation of the dish in the first place, I would probably have enjoyed it much more. Diners on other tables were happily tucking into large, freshly grilled fish and I really wish that I'd ordered that instead.
The taverna is very traditional and rustic, with outside seating - not many tables though and the owner had to turn away some customers whilst we were there - I would recommend that you go early to make sure you get a table.
The house red wine was good, the service was quite slow though. The owner seemed to be the only person actually doing anything - his waiter just walked about looking at people! All adds to the Greek experience though, and if you are on holiday there is no rush.
Extremely cheap - great value - sad about the monkfish though!

2  Thank Annec14
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Back to my previous review about Makris apartments where I mentioned this fish restaurant.. I cannot describe how amazing it is. For 20 euro each you can get three courses and a jug of wine! Absolutely beautiful cooked fish and I would recommend anyone to try the stuffed vine leaves they serve. GORGEOUS!
The owner was really friendly too and came a few times during the end of our holiday.
Beautiful restaurant and I would come back to the area just for the this!

1  Thank EmleighS18