“Overbooked for the first 4 days” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Karma Royal Haathi Mahal

Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Cavelossim
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Overbooked for the first 4 days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

My mum who is 78 and stepdad who is 74 booked to stay at the Haathi for a month in March 2014. This was their 4th visit there but when they arrived this time even though they had booked months before they were told that the hotel was overbooked. They were told that they would have to stay at their sister hotel the Royal Goan in Benaulim for the 1st five days, they were really unhappy about this, my mum phoned me on my mobile nearly in tears, she is hard of hearing and has trouble walking long distances, my stepdad is completely deaf, I spoke to the reception staff and they said there was no way they could accommodate them at the Haathi and would arrange for a taxi to take them to Benaulim. I asked if they could arrange to put them in another hotel in Cavellossim or if they could put them in The Ramada but they said they could not do this. That is not true as I have now read a review on here that when they were overbooked before they put a couple in the Ramada for a week! The reason they book the Haathi is because they feel safe there and know people and the area there and for people of their age its quite traumatic when your in another country and have to stay in an area you don't know and don't feel safe in even if its only for 4 days. They were very tired by the time the reached the Royal Goan and were shown to a nice room. Apart from that they did not like it there at all. They were told because of what happened they could have free meals while they were there but the food and service there was terrible. One of the things they really looked forward to at the Haathi is the lovely buffet breakfasts which they do not have at the Royal Goan, they had to order breakfast and then wait ages for it to be served. One evening there was pizza with a free glass of wine, they ordered the pizza then were told they had to pay for the wine as they were getting their meals free! They were made to feel like 2nd class citizens through no fault of there own. This is a disgusting way to treat senior citizens who have spent lots of money at the Haathi Mahal. After the 1st day they ate all their meals out but were very nervous walking out in an area they were not used to. When they eventually got to the Haathi that's when their holiday started. As always the breakfasts were lovely, the service brilliant and the staff pleasant. They are looking to go back to Goa again but are worried the same thing might happen, have read a few reviews on here about The Haathi being overbooked. I've also stayed at the Haathi 3 times but don't know if we can trust them again. Bearing in mind their ages and their disabilities I really think they should have been treated better.

Room Tip: Ring a few days before you travel to make sure they are not overbooked!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grenville D, General Manager at Karma Royal Haathi Mahal, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time off to write a review on TripAdvisor.

At the outset, please accept my apologies for the last minute hitch with your bookings. This usually does not happen but for a electrical fault that took far longer to repair than originally anticipated. As a result, sorting out accommodation issues in these peak months was indeed a trying time. All the same, i am not offering an excuse and am sincerely sorry that your parents had to shift to our sister resort in Benaulim.

I am also asking the GM at the Benaulim resort to look into the issue with the food and beverage experience in their restaurant. Please accept my apologies on their behalf.

Please do not write us off as yet! This does not happen often and to treat it as an aberration. Please send your parents back to Haathi Mahal as you would normally do and we will ensure they have the usual great time! Please keep me informed when you plan the next trip to Haathi Mahal. My email is grenville@royalperspective.com.

Grenville Dcosta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Haathi Mahal from 17th April to 20th April 2014. We were a group of 6 people and we enjoyed every moment of our stay here.The check in formalities to Cleanliness of the rooms were top class.We will be back there soon.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your holiday and the team at Haathi Mahal looked after you. Please do come back again and give us another chance to serve you.

Great Totham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at this resort and overall have been very happy with our stay, the hotel is clean bright and well cared for with friendly staff, the cleaning and maintenance staff especially very efficient and polite.

However there were a couple of issues during our stay;
1 The pre-booked taxi to pick us up from the airport was not there, there was a taxi pick up at the airport to take someone to the hotel totally different surname to ours and different flight however he had been waiting at the airport some 3 hours after the flight he was supposed to pick up from no one had not shown so he was glad to take us.

2 We arranged for a wake up call this didn't happen although i saw this being noted in a book at reception.

3 We used the restaurant on 2 occasions for a barbecue and carvery evening the food we found to be mediocre on both occasions, although the staff were polite enough the service was slow both times (on the carvery evening the serving staff seemed more interested in watching the film that was being shown in the cinema room)

4 Although the guy who worked at the pool bar was very cheerful and polite there wasn't one occasion during our stay that he managed to get our drinks order right first time.

5 There was a 'hawker' from one of the local boat trip companies round the pool and on several occasions came up to us while we were on the loungers or passing the pool trying to get us to go on his boat trip the next day.

Generally we found the all the staff to be courteous and cheerful, although some of the staff having direct customer contact to be young and inexperienced. Overall though despite the niggles we would happily book and use this resort again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Grenville D, General Manager at Karma Royal Haathi Mahal, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to write a review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for an honest account of your stay and bringing our shortcomings to the fore.

With immediate effect i am organizing a refresher course for Front Office and F&B to iron out these little niggles that can go on to spoil an otherwise good holiday. I am sorry that you did not like the carvery evening. The Chef will certainly get to know of this. I will take up the matter with the boat man too!

I am sure you will find a marked difference the next time you are here. I look forward to meeting you for feedback.

Thank you once again.

SOMERSET
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

As soon as you touch down on this diverse continent you realise that you are somewhere completely and utterly different than any other place on earth!
Thank goodness I chose the Haathi Mahal to stay in.
From the moment I entered the hotel I was greeted with the best set of smiles i have ever seen.
The Hotels almost secret exterior appearence belied the rangeof facilities within,a choice of pools with jacuzzi,landscaped courtyards,the best restaurant for miles and miles and a choice of three bars !!
My room was perfectly good enough ,although it wasnt one of the newly refurbished ones, it was fully equipped and clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
I didnt plan to stay in my room all the time,who would ?
The staff were without exception serene and saintly,dealing with all manner of requests from a wide range of guests , some of whom i would have gladly ignored !
I visited the spa 5 times during my two weeks ,what a lovely surprise to find real professionalism with a wonderful team of caring staff and at a cost that defies belief.
I met most of the senior management on site who were all very keen to see that i was happy with everything,Grenville was charming as was Joe who never seemed to stop smiling !
Attwoods bar,an English pub was a bit of a shock,but a nice one !I enjoyed coming in from outside to relax and cooldown with a fab cocktail prepared by delightful Bapi the bar manager
and to ask the slightly eccentric Jeremy,the pub landlord,about the resort and hotel,without his advice and stories I would have missed alot.
I tried plenty of the local outside restaurants, including the beach shacks and found them all pretty standard fare compared to the hotel but i was there to experiece everything the resort had to offer,which was fantastic,exotic,weird,friendly,bizarre,and so different!
The glorious weather was non stop,the beaches were uncrowded and the sea was safe and so warm you had to pinch yourself to make sure you werent dreaming.
I can see why so many people come here year after year,sometimes twice a year,its paradise and I loved everything about it.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished one if you are fussy or plan to stay in the room longer than normal,the pool s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank KITCHENMUM
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for such an exhaustive account of your stay at Haathi Mahal and the experience in Cavellosim. You've missed nothing!

I am glad my team looked after you and ensured your holiday went just the way you wanted it to. My team is the greatest asset on the premises and our pride. Every single member ensures satisfaction and smiles of content. We do our best to please. I am happy you used all facilities in our resort and found them to your liking.

Thanks once again and we look forward to seeing you again!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Dear All,
I have been visiting Haathi Mahal (HM) since 2005 and have been there twice since. I will be visiting the resort again in May 2014 for a week's stay. We have always stayed in the two bedroom suites with a kitchnette which are located next to the pool. While checking the reviews and the photos was saddened to see some negative feedback not completely related to HM. Would like to share that my entire family (husband, daughter, son and self) have always enjoyed the stay at HM. The multiple pools have always enchanted my children especially the water slide. The stone bar in the pool is a source of delight for the kids. French Fries or Margerita Pizza followed by a fresh lime soda is practically a daily order during the swim. The games and activities organized by HM in the afternoons have kept the children occupied when parents need some well deserved siesta. The food is splendid and yes multiple options outside the resort and at the shacks on the beach. We normally hire a car for the duration of our stay and evenings are spent at the beach followed by candle lit dinners at the shacks at Colva or Benaulim or Martins and other iconic places. Its relaxation in its true form. The staff has always been very accommodating and helpful. I am really looking forward to my visit to the resort in the second half of May 2014. I certainly hope and am sure that I will continue to have a pleasurable stay at Haathi Mahal. Check this page for a review end May'14.
Cheers!!!
R Balsekar

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rupa B
Dear Guest

It really warms the heart to read reviews such as yours. Thank you very much for an honest and unbiased view of your stay. I am glad you and your family enjoyed yet another great stay at Haathi Mahal.

Really happy you enjoyed the activities and the facilities in our resort.

Please do come back again in May for another great of round of holidaying!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our first stay at the Haathi Mahal resort and we were not disappointed. The lobby is open and welcoming. The staff fantastic, always smiling, very friendly, and happy to assist in any way they can. The three pools are looking tired, and in need of an uplift, but they are large enough to accommodate the number of people staying. There are plenty of sunbeds, and in the event of someone reserving, you can always ask the staff to remove the abandoned towels. The restaurant offers a good range of food, and is cooked beautifully. One thing to remember is to ask that the meals for everyone in your group arrives at the same time. There is an English bar called Attwoods on the resort, where you can enjoy some home comforts including steak and mushroom pie, or an 8 ounce steak with chips for £3.50 The barman Bapi "The Bapster" will make you very welcome, and is excellent at his job. The K Spa is well worth a visit where you can be pampered for a fraction of the price back home. The resort is across the road and a 5 minute walk down a track to the beach. Although once you get there, it's well worth the walk.

Room Tip: If you are in the hotel, request not to be near the emergency generator! Power cuts are frequent in...
1 Thank sfudgephotography
Grenville D, General Manager at Karma Royal Haathi Mahal, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Guest

We are really happy you enjoyed your holiday and our team looked after you. Thank you for taking the time off to review your stay at Haathi Mahal.

We are taking the pool out next April for a complete refurb and you will find a far more attractive and classy pool the next time around!

Thank you for all your kind words on our team and for the special mention of 'The Bapster' ! I guess that's going to be his name from now on.

Cheers and hope to see you soon.

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I both senior citizens stayed at RGBC Haathi Mahal for 2 weeks from March 15 2014. It was indeed a memorable experience ..We were overwhelmed by the courtesy extended to us by all the staff. As we moved into the spacious 1 bed room villa on first floor with a large balcony facing the swimming pool we knew it was the best haven for us to relax and enjoy a restful holiday.
The multi cuisine restaurant provided us with local seafood delicacies as well as continental dishes specially prepared by the very talented Chef who arranged the luxury of In Room Dining
A special mention of the vey good service by the House Keeping staff is a must here..
In short it was a Home Away from Home feeling and we would surely visit Goa every year and
enjoy such comfortable and peaceful holiday at Haathi Mahal and rejuvenate ourselves.
M H Kamath
Bangalore

Room Tip: Make sure you get to stay in a room with a balcony overlooking the swimming pool .
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay at Haathi Mahal. It is always a pleasure to have you and your wife as our guests.

I am glad you enjoyed yet another great stay and partook of your favorite seafood delicacies. Our Chef knows exactly what you want!

All persons who made your holiday memorable will be suitably commended.

Thank you once more and look forward to seeing you again.

Grenville Dcosta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavelossim
The Leela Goa
Dona Sylvia Beach Resort
Dona Sylvia Beach Resort
#2 of 10 in Cavelossim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,564 reviews

Been to Karma Royal Haathi Mahal? Share your experiences!