“Exceeded our expectations - an excellent place to stay”

Dona Sylvia Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cavelossim
Reviewed 9 March 2008

My husband and I researched this resort and read previous reviews through Trip Advisor before booking it for our wedding anniversary - and we were not disappointed!! Dona Sylvia exceeded any expectation we may have had - the complex is stunningly beautiful with very natural surroundings, beautifully preserved gardens that are maintained daily by groundsmen, gorgeous mango trees all around the pool and the rooms are no more than 2 storey high giving a cosy feel to the place. It is perfectly positioned on the beach front and little shops on the main road enabling you to get out of the heat of the sun and mingle with the locals to buy handicrafts.

All the staff here are excellent and can never do enough for you. The food is amazing, we loved every single meal and particularly enjoyed the way chefs cooked certain dishes fresh in front of you. They serve a mixture of Indian and continental with particular mention to the variety of ways to cook all sorts of vegetables - it really was fantastic!

A couple of pointers for travellers; you can sometimes get a little hassled on the beach from the locals trying to sell you things and sometimes their friendliness is also their excellent sales ploy by shaking your hand, asking your name and telling you theirs - this way when they see you next they can call you by your name to attract your attention and say "my names is blah-blah, do you remember me from the beach the other day" so if you don't want to be hassled too much, smile and be polite but try not to get involved too much! The locals are wonderful people and love talking to you so as long as you keep this balance in mind you will have a lovely trip.

If you want to take a day tour to Dudghaser Falls, the 2nd highest in India, then I would recommend you catch a taxi from reception rather than booking through your tour operator, the reason for this is they will drive around to pick other people up from neighbouring hotels which could take an hour and then you have an hour's trip to the falls, whereas if you catch a taxi it is quicker, you can spend longer at the falls, the day is your own, it is far cheaper because you pay a fixed price for the taxi not per person, plus you are keeping the money in the community rather than giving it to the tour operators who don't need it anywhere near as much!

Palolem Beach which is reputed to be the best beach in Goa is an hour's taxi drive away and it is worth visiting if you fancy a change. I personally think the beach is a fraction less soft than that of Cavellosim, but because it is still relatively unspoilt by the fact no big chain hotels are in the area only beach shacks, this means you aren't hassled when trying to relax and enjoy its beauty. It is crescent shaped with palm trees lining the beach leaning towards the see and is very picturesque and it feels particularly nice sitting in one of the beach bars enjoying a cold drink and watching the world slowly go by whilst listening to the waves lap against the shore! And this is the reason why Palolem is so idyllic - I sincerely hope it remains this way!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Angie B

Reviewed 29 February 2008

The staff at Dona Sylvia was kind and always smiling. That was a great blessing. They kept the grounds spotless. The landscape of the hotel was beautifully kept. The room we had was very clean. We did suffer from some bites. We are not sure if this was from bed bugs are not. The pool was excellent. The food was generally good. However, they need someone to teach their chefs how to make an egg omlet. They over cooked the omlets the whole time we were there. They brown both sides of the omlet. If you want a good omlet your not going to get it at Dona Sylvia. Also another big problem was they did not have fresh filter coffee instead they served a grotesque instant coffee. It tasted like water, milk, and sugar. I could not believe this. You have a resort with many foreigners coming and no espresso or cappuccinos. This was a big turn off for me especially for the money we were paying. The beach front near the hotel could have been cleaner. There was some trash out there every day. I am not sure why they did not have someone raking it everyday and cleaning it. The biggest problem we faced as a family was the fact that they had several conferences booked while were were there. The problem was they were all Indian men!!! Hundreds of Indian men!! This was horrifying! They stared at my wife when we were at the pool and they made lots of noise playing water basketball. It was not a good family enviorment. This was really stupid of Dona Sylvia to book all men business conferences when you have families paying lots of money for a relaxing vacation. This was a huge turn off even more than the coffee. Would I ever stay there again? I don't think so.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank BereanDelhi
Reviewed 27 February 2008

We arrived at the airport and before we could find a First Choice Rep, we were unindated with locals wanting to take our luggage. With a lot of pushing and shoving, we eventually found our coach. It was the most dilapidated bus it has ever been our misfortune to travel on. Broken torn seats, no air con and very dirty. As we travelled the 50 minutes to the hotel we were wondering if we had done the right thing in coming to Goa. The roadside was littered with piles of rubbish, plastic bags and bottles. It was with a sigh of relief when we turned into the hotel grounds. It was like being in an oasis. We were lucky as our room was ready so we were quickly escorted to it.

The rooms are quite basic and I don't think that the paintwork had ever seen a bucket of water but the bedding and towels were clean and we decided that as we would only be using the room to shower and sleep in we wouldn't make a fuss.

The hotel was fully occupied and the only way to get a sunbed by the pool was to see the pool boys at 7am and find out if there was any unreserved ones. No way was I getting up early on holiday so we decided to use the beach sunbeds. The beach sellers were not a problem but you are constantly bothered by women and children wanting money. The beach shack workers were all very friendly but even they kept pestering you to visit their "shop".

The food in the hotel was average. If you are a dessert lover then don't visit this hotel. There were only a couple of desserts at lunch and dinner plus fruit and ice cream. Some of the desserts were very strange. I couldn't bring myself to try onions in coconut milk but the chef assured me it was very tasty. Breakfast toast left a lot to be desired. It tasted more like cardboard but you could have eggs cooked how you wanted them and there was always pastries. Pasta was only available at lunch time and so was tossed salad. Dinner was a let down, not as much variety as lunchtime.

The staff were really friendly and we never had to wait for our drinks but I was disappointed that diet drinks were not included in the all inclusive. The hotel charged £1 per can so I bought mine in the local supermarket for 25rs.

We went on the wet and wild trip with First Choice and although the coach was in slightly better condition than the transfer coach, the only air con was the windows, some of which couldn't be opened.

The better trip was with Jacks cruises. For approx £10 each you go out to visit the dolphins and then cruise up the river. Lunch was King Prawns in a garlic sauce with bread followed by fish with rice and salad and then fresh fruit salad. The copious beer and soft drinks were included in the price. A great day out.

The First Choice Rep Richard is very helpful and always seems quite chirpy. We tried Mama Mias the first week and had overcooked expensive lobster. For the same price we had a seafood platter including lobster, crab and massive prawns and drinks at a beach shack party. Our favourite meal was at Kebabs and Curries, the best meal of the fortnight. We had a mediocre meal at Mikes place and the next day I had Delhi Belly which lasted almost a week.

We have travelled the world extensively and after reading the glowing reviews on this hotel, we thought we would be on a winner. It didn't meet our expectations. Perhaps we were expecting too much. Goa was certainly a culture shock. Overall I prefer the Maldives, Caribbean and Mexico for a winter break.
So it will come as no surprise that we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beachcomber
Reviewed 23 February 2008

Where do I begin? This hotel was everything and more! The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure our holiday was perfect, nothing was too much trouble.

The food was superb, a real mix of curries and some european food for those not used to spicey food. The restaurant staff were always smiling and helpful and there was always plenty of food.

Every evening there was some sort of entertainment in the bar and the local 'honey bee' brandy was delicious, I even bought a bottle to bring home, I'm hooked!

Our room was facing the beach and although we couldn't actually see the beach we were facing the gardens leading to the beach, it was a beautiful spot and we could see the sunset from our terrace, breathtaking!

The room itself was very comfortable, a huge bed, good air conditioning system, very good shower and always spotlessly clean.

The pool area was always clean and there were plenty of drinks and snacks to be had. The only down side was there weren't enough sunbeds and the ones that were there were always taken by 8.00am and as I am on holiday I refuse to get up at silly o'clock and save a bed, we used the beach instead, there were always plenty of sunbeds and parasols to be found and if you bought drinks and snacks from one of the beach shacks you could use the beds free! The beach sellers were always around but if you weren't interested in what they were selling, they were quite happy just to have a chat.

We booked a couple of excursions and enjoyed a trip into the jungle to bathe with elephants. We stayed overnight in a mud hut, what an experience! We did have our own shower room, cold water only but hey, we were in the jungle, what do you expect! We had company in the night, rats, lizards and a very annoying donkey that kept braying all night! But the hightlight of the trip was the elephants, such beautiful creatures and being able to bath them and sit on them and have them shower you was well worth the uncomfortable night's sleep!

The other excursion we booked was a trip to Delhi and Agra to see the Taj Mahal. This is a trip I shall remember for the rest of my life, it was breathtaking. The trip began with a 5.30am start by flying to Delhi, we were met by a rep and taken to our hotel. We had a guide show us around old and new Delhi and went for a ride on a rickshaw round old Delhi, we visited the mosque and then visited the site where Ghandi's ashes are laid, this was such a beautiful and peaceful place.

The next day we took a tourist train to Agra and was again met by a rep who took us to a nearby hotel to freshen up and introduce us to our guide for the day. We began by visiting the red fort and there we got our first glimpse of the Taj Mahal, it was hard to believe that we were actually there. When we arrived at the Taj Mahal and went through the archway we were speechless, it was just spectacular and what a romantic place to visit on Valentine's Day, I don't know how my wonderful hubby will top that next year! We spent about 2 hours wandering around and taking it all in, we have some very special memories of that visit.

Our final day was spent visiting a textile shop and buying a few pashmina's for our daughters before flying back to Goa.

This holiday was just wonderful, we can't fault it, the hotel was fantastic, the people are friendly, the weather was perfect and the food was good, curries back home will never be the same!

If there was a downside, it was the poverty, which was evident everywhere and you need a hard heart to stop you giving all your change to the beggars.

Would we visit Goa, again? You bet!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
17  Thank Bigmuma
Reviewed 30 January 2008

Have just returned from a fantastic week in Goa. Desperatly wish it had been 2!! Would seriously struggle to fault it. Hotel was lovely and clean, excellent food (although my love for curry did help!), staff were friendly and polite and the whole experience was intensly relaxing. Totally recommend Cavellosim beach as a place to stay, beach is stunning and not overrun by sunbeds and touts. Did a couple of trips to see Dunghasar (apologise for spelling) waterfall and a spice plantation. Enjoyed the waterfall but it is a rather long day with nearly 3 hours each way by coach and very bouncy 4WD. The monkeys there are very amusing. The spice plantation was far more interesting than expected and well worth a visit. I was very please to have dragged myself away from the beach and pool even if it was only for a couple of days.

24  Thank caitlin747
Reviewed 27 January 2008

Well, after 10+ hours travelling, without a cigarette (sorry!!!) we were absolutely shattered. The culture shock of India was something of a......shock!!!!!

We got onto our coach, after we avoided at least 200 men scrabbling for our suitcases and we were on our way. Being first time visitors to India we didn't quite know what to expect at all, except that this was a third world country, as I'd avidly read on this website for months prior to this holiday.

We got to our hotel after about an hours journey, after being given bottles of water by the coach driver and even my husband said to me that I'd chosen a cracker!!!!!!! We waited in reception, sat down in the most unbelievable comfy chairs by the pool, having registered and been given the appropriate wrist bands, with hot towels clutched firmly to our foreheads, along with winter coats of course, and were served with iced lemon water...heaven. Within the hour we were settked into our room - 161, an upper room, within sight of the pool and all the dining facilities.

The room itself had the biggest balcony we've ever seen, two single beds (pushed together within 5 minutes), wardrobe alcove, free safe (that operated with codes and swipe - and which the maintenance man also unlocked on the 2nd day free of charge, hubby having forgotten the code!!), tv, desk, etc. I had said, before being shown our room, that if we were to be offered a 2nd floor room I would complain, but on seeing this room, and balcony, I was smitten.

Food was absolutely fantastic, we were never short of anything to eat, The Seagul dining restaurant is next door to the main reception, passing the jewellery/chemist/crafts shop on the way. Mornings you could get cooked eggs (boiled, fried, scrambled, poached) from the chefs at two stations, pancakes or thin bread type waffles (sorry, can't think of a better word) freshly cooked from another chef. A wide election of cereals and juices, tea and coffee, fresh fruit, as well as the usual curry, sausage, bacon, etc. A word must be said for the extremely hard working and friendly waiters, who were constantly working, morning, noon and night, to keep drinks replenished and tables tidied.

After breakfast we'd retreat to our sunbeds - in the first week we didn't even have to do the early morning rush to reserve, the second week, children's Christmas holidays, we had no such luck.

Dinners and evening meals were of the same excellent quality - anyone worrying about the food need not, both myself and hubby are picky eaters, we loved everything they had to offer!!! Salad (mixed by an eager chef standing by with an unbelievable range of items, or you could just pick yourself), 2 types of soup, at least six types of bread for starters. Over to the main meals - three types of meat/fish courses, plus two chefs ready to cook two other meat/fish courses, then over to the middle island, where everything else was set out on dispaly, chips (once or twice), rice, nan, various curried vegetables, etc. As is usual, if you're not there early (and if you are you'll get shown to your seat personally) don't bother in term time......give it an hour or so, get a cup of tea or coffee, or an alcoholic drink from The Seagul bar or upstairs bar and sit in reception or on your balcony to wait it out.

Having missed our evening meal one night we resigned ourselves to meal service, menus were left in our rooms - main meals were all about 200 ruppees, these included fish-n-chips, golden fried prawns, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Tanduri Murgh, Pomfret Rechaco, goan Fish curry.....hubby settled on 2 x Dona Sylvia Clubhouse Sandwich (180 rp each), which came complete with dressings, salad and of course chips (or french fries, which, you guessed, I ate!!)

We wandered down to the beach our first day, walking through the beautiful gardens of the hotel and past the friendly security guards - we noted that there are no beach front apartments - only those facing the massage centre, and beautiful manicured lawns, the beach itself is a mere couple of minutes from here, you can hear it, but alas, the perfectly manicured lawns prevent you seeing it!! There were two ladies, one on each side, selling clothing who waved and said hello to us and then we saw it.....the sea!!!! Not before having at least half a dozen young men running to us asking us to try their shacks.....we resisted until we got to the last one on the left of the main drag - can't remember the name now, but it was absolutely excellent. The food was perfect, service attentive and what a view!! On our first visit we had six beers, two waters and two mixed omelettes.....bill came to less than £5, which included sunbeds all day. We went to the firework night, I've never seen so many crabs in my life!, I had the mixed omelette, hubby had the sea food platter.....and what a platter it was, lobster, king prawns and tiger prawns that filled half a plate, sea bass plus two other types of fresh fish, calimari, oysters, muscles, salad and, of course, the oblitatory chips (which I ate having become bored of watching hubby eat!!!!), seven beers, seven vodka and cokes and three waters each - plus a free firework display - bill? £14.00!!!!!!! At a certain point in the evening I had to admit defeat and headed around the back of the shack to the toilet, which had, according to our wonderful owner, full plumbing.....watched avidly by our adjacent table.....luckily the door had been left open, the toilet consisted of what appeared to be a silver cookery bowl in a lean to shack, with closing door.....I retreated to our apartment amidst the good natured laughes of our neighbouring table companions!

There were some fantastic trips on offer, Waterfalls, Date with a Tiger, Jungle Book, Floating Paradise, Hampi, etc, but we didn't bother. We did ask the First Choice rep if the Date with a Tiger trip, advertised in the handout as a 2 night, 3 day trip, by train, was accompanied - but he didn't get back to us, so we left it, being content with where we were. We did go on one of Jacks Cruises, excellent value for money, and very peaceful, we saw dolphins, flying fish and bats.....but we also stopped for over an hour and a half in the middle of nowhere for some strange reason.....when they're trying to sell you the trip they promise lobster, oyster and muscles, and a session fishing for crabs if you want....don't believe it, you get fish/rice for lunch and no option of fishing!

The package deal we were on initially included one meal per week at Mama Mia and Kebabs and Kurries, we were later sent a letter stating we were only entitled to one meal in each eaterie a week, so we booked our first meal in the specialist Indian restaurant, which was fantastic....Indian curry will never taste the same again. The second week we concentrated our efforts on Mama Mia, on the eighth day we tried to book.....and were informed that they were fully booked, on the nineth day, same again.....you get the picture, in the end we missed out completely on the Mama Mia experience, not for want of trying!

Snack were served in the poolside restaurant from 11.00 to 11.00 (as stated in the paperwork given to us by our rep, though we noticed that they "discouraged" people after 8ish. Tea and coffee unlimited,freshly cooked sandwiches (beautiful, all on toasted bread), mini burgers, etc.

The bar further along the walk serves alcoholic drinks - special compliments to the wonderful bar tender who had our drinks whipped up on arrival!!!! TOP TIP - take a couple of those thermos cups, they'll fill you up with whatever you want, including tea and coffee.

Around and about - Outside the hotel gates there wasn't much, there were about 40 shops, all selling the exact same thing as the next one was - although what they were selling was, in most cases, beautiful - exquisite hand carved furniture and ornaments, we wouldn't have been able to carry them home with us, as much as we'd have wanted to. There was a market, almost every day, further up the road, again, all seemed to be selling the same "I Love Goa" t shirts, etc.

The Chemist in town was just on the edge of the market, etremely cheap and the owner was very informative, we got ourselves some sleeping pills, for the journey home, and painkillers, all for pennies.

Christmas and New Year were fantastic, though if I'm honest if I booked again for next year I'd go for just New Year (the 0430 flight home on 01.01.08 was a bit draining). The gala meals for both occasions were unbelievable, they set up marques on the tennis court.....and oh my god, I was in heaven, I've never seen so much food, so well prepared....!!!!!! A few days before Christmas they hung fairy lights all around the comples and on the grounds.....it was absolutely beautiful walking around and looking down from our balcony.

Entertainment? After our meal we tended to head down to the beach for a couple of drinks and watch the sea, either that or we sat on our balcony. There was the bar upstairs, which had a couple of good shows on, but other than that there seemed to be an Indian group singing your usual Kareoke songs, ok if you're into that type of thing I guess. Again, we were more than happy watching everything around us!

Would I go again? Like I said, if I booked again for this time of year I'd spend Xmas at home and book India for New Year......sounded fantastic, we missed out because of our early flight unfortunately. I'd definately book this hotel again if I wanted a relaxing, or tour constantly, base. Next year we're going to give Nort Goa a try, then, who knows, hopefully, we'll be back at Dona Sylvia!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
28  Thank Nicky123
Reviewed 25 January 2008

Myself and my husband are just back from 2 weeks at the Dona Sylvia and we will definitely be going back. We loved it.
It was our first time in Goa and we really enjoyed it.
At the start of the holiday we spent most of our days by the pool which was fabulous. We were there to relax so we weren’t getting up too early in the mornings but we were still able to get a sunbed (we hadn’t tipped the pool boys or anything). But towards the second week the pool seemed a lot busier and we couldn’t get sunbeds so we went to the beach. The beach is amazing, so warm for swimming and we were sorry we hadn’t gone down there sooner. The beach sellers can be annoying but we just said No thanks & they left us alone. They don’t come up to the shacks. We did buy things from the people working in the shacks – tshirts and jewellery boxes etc. We know that we could have got these cheaper at the market but they are cheap anyway. The lads don’t get paid very well for working at the shacks and rely on selling things on the side to make money so we didn’t mind. We used the sunbeds belong to the Blue Oasis beach shack. We ate & drank there and we can’t praise it enough. I read the other posts on here and think anyone who wouldn’t eat at the shacks really missed out because the food there was unbelievable. We went to the Blue Oasis beach party aswell both weeks and these were the best nights we had over there. We liked the food at the hotel although we only had our breakfast and lunch there because we like to eat out at night & try different restaurants. We didn’t mind that we had paid for all inclusive because it’s so cheap to eat out anyway. Some of the restaurants we liked were Goan Village & Gaffino’s. We were not crazy about Mike’s place, we went there twice, maybe we chose badly from the menu because I have heard lots of praise for there. We went to Jack’s restaurant for dinner too, it was very quiet, just us and one other table. We liked the food but the atmosphere wasn’t great. There are also 2 restaurants at the hotel, kebabs n Kurries and Mama Mia’s, these are lovely, we especially liked Kebabs n Kurries, we went back twice !!
One night we went to the Leela hotel for dinner. We got a taxi there, only 100 rupees. Just sitting in the bar here is unreal. It’s out of this world. We had a few pina colada’s (not very expensive – around 800 rupees for 4)and then went to their Italian restaurant for dinner. It was very expensive (5400 rupees) for dinner and a bottle of wine. It probably wasn’t worth it but for the ambience alone it was worth it for us. We had a table right on the river and it was really romantic.
We went on Jack’s cruise (you will meet him or Austin by the pool to tell you about it and try to persuade you to go). It was very nice. We got to see dolphins and had lunch on the boat, it was a nice relaxing day.
Also we went to see the spice plantation and a tour of Old Goa, booked through the First Choice rep Richard. This was really nice, one of our favourite days over there. It’s called ‘Goa in a nutshell’ if you want to book it.
We went to see the waterfall too another day, this was really nice, we booked through the rep aswell.
I know you can get taxis to all these places too but we liked the tours as you get to meet other people and we had good fun on the coach.
I would recommend this hotel. The staff are very very friendly and can’t do enough for you. We didn’t meet many people our own age (mid twenties) but we were there to relax and weren’t looking for a mad holiday. If you want pubs and clubs this is not the place to go. We didn’t get any stomach upsets either !!
I found the airport a bit frightening when we arrived. I had never seen anything like it before. Massive queue’s, no air conditioning and not exactly clean. If you can at all don’t use the ladies toilet when you arrive as it’s disgusting. No locks on the doors, floor all wet, no toilet roll and generally filthy. It’s all worth it when you get to the hotel though.
We are definitely going to go back to Goa in the future and will stay at the Dona Sylvia again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
19  Thank dec07bride
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavelossim
Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
The Leela Goa
#1 of 10 in Cavelossim
The LaLiT Golf & Spa Resort Goa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa Goa

Been to Dona Sylvia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!