My husband and I researched this resort and read previous reviews through Trip Advisor before booking it for our wedding anniversary - and we were not disappointed!! Dona Sylvia exceeded any expectation we may have had - the complex is stunningly beautiful with very natural surroundings, beautifully preserved gardens that are maintained daily by groundsmen, gorgeous mango trees all around the pool and the rooms are no more than 2 storey high giving a cosy feel to the place. It is perfectly positioned on the beach front and little shops on the main road enabling you to get out of the heat of the sun and mingle with the locals to buy handicrafts.
All the staff here are excellent and can never do enough for you. The food is amazing, we loved every single meal and particularly enjoyed the way chefs cooked certain dishes fresh in front of you. They serve a mixture of Indian and continental with particular mention to the variety of ways to cook all sorts of vegetables - it really was fantastic!
A couple of pointers for travellers; you can sometimes get a little hassled on the beach from the locals trying to sell you things and sometimes their friendliness is also their excellent sales ploy by shaking your hand, asking your name and telling you theirs - this way when they see you next they can call you by your name to attract your attention and say "my names is blah-blah, do you remember me from the beach the other day" so if you don't want to be hassled too much, smile and be polite but try not to get involved too much! The locals are wonderful people and love talking to you so as long as you keep this balance in mind you will have a lovely trip.
If you want to take a day tour to Dudghaser Falls, the 2nd highest in India, then I would recommend you catch a taxi from reception rather than booking through your tour operator, the reason for this is they will drive around to pick other people up from neighbouring hotels which could take an hour and then you have an hour's trip to the falls, whereas if you catch a taxi it is quicker, you can spend longer at the falls, the day is your own, it is far cheaper because you pay a fixed price for the taxi not per person, plus you are keeping the money in the community rather than giving it to the tour operators who don't need it anywhere near as much!
Palolem Beach which is reputed to be the best beach in Goa is an hour's taxi drive away and it is worth visiting if you fancy a change. I personally think the beach is a fraction less soft than that of Cavellosim, but because it is still relatively unspoilt by the fact no big chain hotels are in the area only beach shacks, this means you aren't hassled when trying to relax and enjoy its beauty. It is crescent shaped with palm trees lining the beach leaning towards the see and is very picturesque and it feels particularly nice sitting in one of the beach bars enjoying a cold drink and watching the world slowly go by whilst listening to the waves lap against the shore! And this is the reason why Palolem is so idyllic - I sincerely hope it remains this way!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dona Sylvia Beach Resort is spread over 20 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens on the southern coast of Goa, it nestles by the soft white sands of Cavelossim beach. The Resort offers comfortable air-conditioned rooms with all modern amenities in Mediterranean style villas with balconies and open sit-outs. The Resort has excellent conference facilities, extensive options for outdoor events / theme parties and entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Dona Sylvia Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dona Sylvia Beach Hotel Cavelossim
- Dona Sylvia Beach Cavelossim
- Dona Sylvia Hotel Goa
- Dona Sylvia Beach Resort Goa/Cavelossim