“One place you get everything”

Dona Sylvia Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cavelossim
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“One place you get everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Huge spread out, lots of natural surrounding, peaceful and absolutely safe. The best part is the food, anything you want, if something is not there of your choice, you can call the manager or chef Tara, he will have it for you in no time, crispy fish fry and fish richado is just awesome the hotel is connected to radiossons, walked through for the Christmas party. The pool side is very relaxing and equally exciting was the pool volley ball almost every one joined us for the game. The beach accessibility is just straight and the walk is heavenly. The staff is very courteous. They make sure to have eye contact and wish you. The music in the lobby was equally good at the end of the day with a glass of beer. Prefect place to be during Christmas, if you ate still planning you are late, nevertheless you can contact Maria and take my recommendation.

Room Tip: Close to the pool or just anyone.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 January 2014

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

We thank you for posting such warm and welcoming reviews about our staff , services and the hotel in general.

We would be delighted at your return to Dona Sylvia.

Resort Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Pune, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Best thing about the hotel is that it has direct access to Cavelossim beach which is an excellent beach in South Goa. We really had a very nice time at this beach which is quite clean, not crowded and pleasant for swimming as it is not spoiled yet by water sports and other activities.

The Hotel property is impressive and the location is excellent. You have various shops and eating options right outside the resort.

The hotel rooms are comfortable but not modern. The whole resort has a heritage feel to it which is good but the rooms amenities and bathrooms definitely need to be upgraded.

The staff is helpful but not very concerned about customer satisfaction. After we checked into our room, there were multiple issues with the room and we had to complain and follow up multiple times before we were shifted to a different room.

The resort has a nice pool and spa area but unfortunately these amenities are not maintained well. There were times when the pool did not seem very clean and the jacuzzi and steam at the spa were never working even after we complained about this.

Other than these glitches, we enjoyed out stay at the resort. Breakfast was always excellent and the resort organised many activities throughout the day to keep everyone entertained.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ramesh_Jhajharia
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2014

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Thank you for reviewing us and for the helpful feedback therein. We have noted your concerns and will do look into the same. I am sure that you would be pleasantly surprised on your subsequent visits and stays at Dona Sylvia.

Assuring you of an altogether wonderful holiday the next time you are travelling to Goa.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Just got back from a 2 week stay at the Dona Sylvia, nice hotel, great service, friendly staff, nice grounds, but must say the food was not to my liking, I know we were in India ( I like Indian food as much as the next person) but not curry for breakfast (even the smell put me off in the morning), eggs were readily available and the toast was ok, the food in the evening in my opinion was awful, in fact me and my girlfriend only ate there the once even though we went A/I, we tended to eat at the beach shacks win wins was our preferred choice, Ganesh (Arthur Daley) & Ganesh were brilliant they could not do enough for you, anything you wanted Arthur got for us, even sorting out a mobile phone for my G/F so she could phone home most days, ate & drank there every day (our most expensive bill was approx. 1200 Rupees, 120 Rupees for a litre bottle of Bud & food was good as well.
we ate out nearly every evening either Mikes Place or Goan Village & prices are very cheap, 2 or 3 drinks each and a main meal you pay no more the 1000 Rupees.
We had a trip to the elephants & spice plantation, do not go on the Thomson trip as it is a lot cheaper to it yourself (save about £20) Taxi with Elvis he was brilliant, he even came out his way to find us in the evenings to see if we were ok.
Was planning a trip to Mauritius next year but put that to bed & are going back to Goa, not in the Dona Sylvia, but in apartments overlooking the Goan Village (approx. £400 for 2 weeks) Edwin the owner also owns WIN WIN beach shack is one hell of a guy and can't do anymore to make you feel at home.
I would recommend Goa to anyone thinking about visiting one hell of a country

Can't wait to go back next year and see my 2 good mates Ganesh (Arthur) & little Ganesh

Room Tip: We had a Boutique room (18) very clean & comfortable, 5 min walk to beach & 5 min walk to ma...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Brendan910

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Thank you for your review and helpful feedback. We believe that feedback of any kind always serves as a helpful tool for improvement and our management team will surely strive to make the necessary improvements. Also we are glad that you had a good time staying with us and we did make your stay a pleasant one.

Looking forward to enrich your holiday experience on your future stay with us.

Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

It was our official Meet at Goa. first time most of the member visited Goa. Its is located far away from the city but the location and the resort is excellent.

It was just excellent from all point. The resort is with all felicities swimming pool, gaming zone, bar, restro, and beach. Its is like a modern village.

Room Tip: any room you can choose
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2013

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Many thanks for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We genuinely appreciate you taking the time out to recommend our hotel and its services.

Hoping to have you stay with us at Dona Sylvia on your future visit to Goa.

Warm regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Travelled to Goa (India) for the first time on the 11th November. The flight with Thompson and the Dreamliner was a pleasant change from the normal long haul aircraft, I have to say that even though we generally fly in Premium class whenever we fly, this premium cabin is by far the most comfortable that I have been on so at last someone is finally taking notice of the passenger comfort.
The Dona Sylvia is a very nice, clean and well looked after resort. The rooms albeit that you have to be careful which you select (not that Thompson give you a choice.) I read a lot on Tripadvisor about the shared balconies and thought I would try to get more info about the rooms. To do this I had to e-mail the hotel manager Atool. To his credit he replied extremely quickly and I decided to upgrade to a suite (an extra £35 a night.) The downside being it did not have a balcony!! What it did have was a lot more room to relax with a seperate sitting room and dressing area. That said if I had been given a room with a large unshared balcony I would have been just as comfortable, as I feel they are very similar in style and it would have saved me the extra cash.The weather throughout the 2 weeks was exceptional and but for the difficulty in securing a sun bed for the entire holiday (make sure you look after one of the pool boys) it would have been faultless. The pool itself is very wecoming at one end where it starts at 3 feet and does not get deeper than 4feet 6inches until you pass under the footbridge,so even people who do not swim very well can cool off without being worried.That pretty much covers the good bits. Now for the not so good ! Whilst I do not go out of my way to eat Indian food, I do not have any aversion to trying unusual looking or sounding dishes. However, the meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner are the most unappetising and unpleasant I have ever tasted and whats more mainly cold!! At breakfast you can to be fair, get Eggs cooked at the servery, fried, scrambled or omlettes which are OK but you may have to que for 10 minutes to get them. Sausages are either what they call chicken sausages or beef sausages ( frankfurter style ) again cold! The bain marie style serving pods do not keep the food at an acceptable temperature! I was told that if you ask they will cook you poached eggs on toast freshly from the kitchens which I tried and found it to be excellent the first time I asked but after that the whole hotel seemed to be asking for this and low and behold they too became hard and cold when served and the toast soggy due to the eggs being left to drain off the water whilst waiting to be brought to you. The lunch and dinner was much more of the same in terms of choice and quality (very poor). You do get vouchers to go to what they call a-la-carte restaurants "once" a week which are much better quality at no extra cost, but if you want a lobster or prawn dish, then you will need to pay about £10 more.Be warned! Twice a week they have the Dinner down on the lawns near the beach or on What the call Haystack which looks Ok but again even worse for food temperature. If you can get to know what night this happens, I would advise you arrange your visit to one of the a-la-cartes to avoid it.
Whilst we were there most of the guests decided to use the local restaurants as we did in the
evenings.Most of the local establishments have very good meals and are also very cheap (3 course meal for 4 including drinks around £24 or less!!) If I had the choice of B&B at the Dona Sylvia I would consider returning, or if the food quality could be guaranteed I would definitely return.
Whatever my personal feelings about this hotel, we met a lot of people who are regular visitors who return sometimes twice a year during there visa validation. If you get the holiday at the right price, i.e. a big discount, it is a very good holiday choice for winter.
Before I finish I want to mention the service of some of the staff was excellent and particular mention must go to Rahul in the bar and Clinson on reception who were both outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with unshared balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kenlynn3
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2014

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Thank you for your invaluable feedback and Do accept my sincere apologies as you could not enjoy our buffet meals.We have looked into our processes here and have taken necessary steps to improve the meal experience.I am sure that you would be pleasantly surprised on your subsequent visits and stays at Dona Sylvia .

Also we are glad to note that you did enjoy some of the services on offer. Once again, your feedback has proved to be invaluable for our assessment.

We do hope to have you stay with us in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Once again we had an enjoyable 2 week holiday in the Donna Sylvia,the staff can not do enough for you ,very clean,just a lovely place to be,and so relaxing..we flew with Thompson on the Dreamliner,so quiet ,and comfy seats,made the long trip bearable but it's worth it when you arrive at such a welcoming hotel,it won't be our last visit,
Karen our Thomson rep is so helpful and a lovely person,best rep we've ever had,altogether a great holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed with our friends in rooms 141 and 142 Excellent ..corner plot.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Susan B

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

We would be more than glad to serve you on your future trip to Dona Sylvia.

Anand, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This should be the first preference. It's unbelievably superb. The best staff I have ever meet and best food. Overall I will give it 5 star. I loved the way they trited us. Apart from this I have been to ramada and majorda. I really say that it's at par with this resorts.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank arthu_shah

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. We are truly humbled to hear such comments about our services and well deserving team.

We would be glad to have you back in Dona Sylvia in the near future.

Resort Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavelossim
The Leela Goa
Alila Diwa Goa
#2 of 39 in Salcette District
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,831 reviews
Goa Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Dona Sylvia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!