After reading a couple of recent negative reviews on this resort I felt the need to write my own as I am actually wondering if I stayed at the same place! My husband & I stayed at the DS in March for two weeks, it was our first visit to India so went with a complete open mind as to what to expect.
Firstly the flight... very pleasant on the new dreamliner, think the aircraft is fab, lots of legroom!
The airport on arrival was somewhat chaotic, we used the new? terminal, it was an experience but we were in India, a quick tip is to carry your own cases when exiting the airport, you will be pounced upon by baggage handlers who carry your bags a very short distance to the coach & then expect a tip... just say no!
Karen the Thomson rep was waiting with a welcoming smile, I have to say, what a lovely person, quite possibly one of the best reps we have had the pleasure of meeting, full of knowledge and only a phone call away if you needed her for anything, an absolute credit to Thomsons!!
Check in at the hotel was very smooth, our room wasn't quite ready but we only had to wait ten minutes. Prior to our visit we had e-mailed the DS to request a high floor with private balcony & were very happy to find this is exactly what we were given, this was a trend that we found continued throughout the whole stay, anything we asked for was delivered within minutes, sometimes it arrived twice! A special thank you to Joseph in housekeeping, what a lovely guy!
We do agree with many other reviews that the rooms are somewhat dated, (staff and management are fully aware of this), but they were kept clean. The rooms have satellite tv, safe,fridge (a welcome home for all my chocolate) kettle etc & a proper hairdryer (not a box on the bathroom wall like in many hotels we've stayed)! Clean towels every day & the air con worked great, everything you really need for the time spent there.
The grounds of the resort are simply beautiful, relaxing & well kept, the beach is to die for, we are well traveled & have been to some lovely places in the world & I have to say that this beach is up there with the best, it goes on forever, absolute paradise! There are many beach sellers, if you don't want to buy then a simple "no thank you" does the trick.
Food in the hotel was lovely, there was always something to suit, if you fancy something different just ask, the staff will cook you anything. The food at Mamma Mia restaurant was amazing, we swapped our kebabs & curries voucher for another visit here. We were all inclusive, but this didn't stop us from eating out at the many restaurants surrounding the resort, it was so cheap!
Unlike one or two reviews, we found ALL the staff very obliging,there was always a smile & a "hello" from everyone of them even the security, a big thank you to you all for making us so welcome!
The hotel jewellers Guru is a must, beautiful pieces at such good prices, if they haven't got what you are looking for then they will make it, again helpful friendly staff.
There are many places in the world to see so we never usually go back to the same place twice. Will we go back to the Dona Sylvia?.... absolutely 100%!!
This is a 3* resort and is ranked second in cavelossim, coming only second to a five star hotel, need I say more!
One small suggestion... Could do with some toilets on the hotel grounds close to the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dona Sylvia Beach Resort is spread over 20 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens on the southern coast of Goa, it nestles by the soft white sands of Cavelossim beach. The Resort offers comfortable air-conditioned rooms with all modern amenities in Mediterranean style villas with balconies and open sit-outs. The Resort has excellent conference facilities, extensive options for outdoor events / theme parties and entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dona Sylvia Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dona Sylvia Beach Hotel Cavelossim
- Dona Sylvia Beach Cavelossim
- Dona Sylvia Hotel Goa
- Dona Sylvia Beach Resort Goa/Cavelossim