“A MUST READ...COMPLETE HONEST ACCOUNT”
Review of San Miguel Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port de Sant Miguel
San Miguel Hotel
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I recently came back from a week stay at the Hotel San Miguel. All in all I had a good time ideal for relaxing if you are after a quiet holiday. I went all inclusive and after securing a late deal with Thomsons, I cannot complain. All inclusive entiled you to choose from 1 of the 3 hotels within the bay although you have to book if you wish to eat in another restaurant. I recommend to book the chinese and the food in our restaurant was fantastic! The hotel cater for everyone and couldn't believe the amount of choice it offered it was unbelievable!! How anyone can complain about the food is beyond me. Drinks are on tap and there is a snack bar central that serves fast food and sandwiches, again very good.
The staff at the hotel were very friendly and hard working morning til night. The thomson reps were very approachable and helpful. I do recommend a safe as our wallet was stolen from room we think by the maid but there was nothing more we could do apart from cancel credit cards.
I would recommend the Aguamar water park, a good break from the resort. We bought this towards the end of the week with Ibiza excursions 200m from the hotel. It was only a few euros dearer but Thomson excursions only run on particular days. For 32 euros we had a great day out although food is expensive and you have to pay for a locker and sunbeds.
As it was peak season, it was very busy around our hotel pool although you can choose from either of the 3 pools in the resort. We had to be up early to get beds and it can be quite noisy with the kids!
We spent 1 day on the beach but was disgusted with the 4.50 euro charge for a bed! and extra if you want an umbrella. My advice is to buy a lilo. The bay itself is a lovely scene but the sea is quite stoney and hurts to get in and out so we stayed by the pool for the rest of the holiday.
The rooms were clean and basic with a very good sized balcony. The whole resort is a sun trap! :-) The staff continuously cleaned up but there were a few flies.
The entertainment at night was very good. ZORRO the main entertainer is fantastic soooo funny!! I would extremely recommend this hotel for families, kids had a wonderful time.
Overall the holiday was good. If you are looking for a family holiday with young children then here is a must. As a young couple we were pleased with this holiday if you are after somewhere quiet and relaxing. The resort itself is very isolated so if you are after something more lively I wouldn't recommend San Miguel.

Room Tip: Rent a safe. All rooms have pool or sea views.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LeighLass_2011

Reviewed 1 July 2011

I too had reservations my stay having read some of the previous reviews however i thoroughly enjoyed my week away.
Yes the resort is very quiet with little else there (if you want more from a resort, do some research and book somewhere else!) but the combination of a few shops, a nice beach, beautiful bay, crystal clear sea, and good hotel was all that i was looking for, and i wasnt disappointed.
The rooms were clean and more than acceptable. I cannot fault any of the meals we had and the choices were very good.
Although there wasnt much around the hotel, by the time the we'd had our evening meal the kids club evening entertainment (which was very much enjoyed by my son) was begining so the evenings flew by and alternatives such as strolls along the prom werent missed at all.
All in all, we enjoyed our break there

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Ian B
Reviewed 27 June 2011

when we looked on trip advisor we had some reservations, it sounded too quiet and had nothing around it, (we went on the all inslusive deal and we wern't dissappointed) let me say it doesn't need anything, the 3 sister hotels have more than enough to keep you entertained. the day entertainment for children was non stop from 11am to 9 pm. the adult entertainment in night was brilliant. the food was good, there was always somthing that you could have. the all you can eat chinese is delicious and a must.
yes there are only a few little supermarkets, but they have whatever you need,(british papers) and there is caseys an irish bar that doesn't close till 5am on the otherside of the beach.
the only bad point is that its 4euro for a sun lounger on beach and 4.5euro for a umbrella, and thats a day.

Room Tip: try and get a sea view room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank berw25a
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel and wanted to leave what I consider to be a completely honest review of this hotel so that others can make up their own minds. I travelled with hubby and our two children who are 3 and 7 years old, plus my mum and dad who are in their fifties. Hotel is set in a beautiful location and has some stunning views of Port De San Miguel, however this is where its real appeal ends. The location is very and I mean VERY isolated with very little to see or do outside the hotel complex. The hotel itself is clean and well maintainned. The rooms are small but manageable and the balconies very safe for small children. The maids came in to clean the rooms daily, however, how much cleaning they actually did I am not sure as the floor never seemed any cleaner and the towels often looked like they were simply folded and hung back up rather than replaced. The food in the main all inclusive restaurant was above average but variety could have been better and I did find it mundane towards the end of the week. No at all impressed with snacks in the western saloon bar as even when they were supposedly freshly coooked the food was cold and not that appealing. Pool areas were nice and we were able to get a sunbed at any time of day but then again it isnt high season yet. The evening entertainment is a bit lacking and all centered around the ourside stage area, which is a nightmare as it goes off really cold after dark and the mozzies were rife. Staff at the bar areas are very good, polite and hard working. The best thing here was the Thomson kids club. These guys are fab and do a great job, very hard working - my kids adored them. All in all I enjoyed my week here but wouldnt recommend a friend to go there. Personally I think it is just too isolated - like three shops nearby thats it! and the cost to go on any trips was too expensive as you would have to travel a minimum of 40 minutes to get anywhere. Also if you are unlucky enough to have rain like we did once or twice, then you are stuffed as there is nothing, nada, zilch, to do - no indoors entertainment or even a tv in the bar (there was one but it was never switched on!). so there go, hope it has helped someone to decide whether to go here or not.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank linzikip
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Lat September my boyfriend and I were look for a cheap holiday to anywhere really, My mum found this for us and I was a bit worried as it seemed it was really aimed at families with children as we were looking for somewhere quiet. I couldn't of been more wrong.. ovbiously there was lots of children but they were staying at the San Miguel club hotel which was below us. The food was lovely plenty to choose from in the main dining hall, don't bother with the saloon snack bar the bread is stale n rock solid but the chips are okay. The chinese was the highlight of my week it was lush its so in demand you have to book a table, I would recomend booking the night you arrive as they get booked really quick. The tapas bar looked night for a pre meal snack but we never went there. It took us 2 days to work out where the mexican snack bar was, turns out it's in the sister hotel next door which is the galeon. You have full use of that hotel too, their swimming pool was my favourite and the walk there is beautiful (but there is some steep stairs) you also get full use of that hotel too.Our room was very clean and very spacious and we had a beautiful sea view. The lifts were a bit of a pain as there was only 2 and they seemed to always be full but the stairs aren't that bad. There was a bit of confusion as we arrived because the old name sign is still on the hotel the "Hotel Cartago" . We went in early October and the weather was still lovely I got a lovely tan even though it did rain twice. The sunbed around the hotel are always taken people wake up at the crack of dawn to lay their towels so we just went to the beach everyday which is just downstairs. I would defo recomend this holiday but maybe not to go in the height of summer as It was busy when we went so in mid summer it is probs packed. Also go to San antonio for the sunset cruise it is amazing you get a free drink the view is amazing and after you get a chance to go shopping or go have a drink for a while after. The hippy market is also worth a trip. Holiday defo 10/10

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rhia92
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We’ve just returned (Oct 20th) from a week at the San Miguel Hotel. As a few people have mentioned it’s actually known as the Hotel Cartago to everyone except the Uk travel agents and that’s even what the sign says on the hotel entrance.

We went with Thomson from Cardiff airport and everything went smoothly from flights to transfers. Our first holiday with Thomson and we were quite impressed. We checked in the hotel at about 10:30 in the morning and our room was ready for us. We were in room 520 on the 5th floor. The room was great – fabulous view, very clean and good size; décor was ok and there was a double bed, 2 single beds and adequate wardrobe space. The only niggle was that the door didn’t fit properly and scraped along the floor when opening and shutting, also as I later found out, the shower head didn’t direct the water properly and it squirted in all directions. Hence in my view the room was only 3*.

Apart from that, everything else was 4-5* - it was over and above everything I’d expected. The food was gorgeous. Every mealtime, lunch and dinner there was at least one griddled meat and one griddled fish dish, such as pork chops and swordfish steaks; one or two other main meat dishes – beef bourgignon or chicken breasts in pepper sauce, plus one or two pasta dishes, salads and loads of vegetable dishes, soup etc and a great range of desserts. They have a serve-yourself drinks station with everything from tea/coffee, juices and soft drinks to beer and wine. The choice and quality in our opinion was at least 4*, although I did hear one guest moaning that if it wasn’t for the breakfast they would have to eat out every meal – god knows what they normally eat at home!

Reception, the main and Chinese restaurants and cocktail bar are on the 8th floor, while the pool and main bar are on Floor 0. We spent a lot of time going between the two and had no particular problem with the lifts at this time of year, although they were a bit random – if we wanted to go up, but someone from a lower floor had also called the lift, we would go down first before going up! It also took me until the last day to actually find the toilets on Floor 8 – they are just before the cocktail bar, which was annoying at the time as I had to go to our room or Floor 0 for the loo! There is also a separate glass lift which goes down from the hotel pool terrace on Floor 0 to the beach and beach club entertainment area which wasn’t working twice while we were there – that can be a pain, but I managed the steps up and down even with my bad knees, so quite do-able

We loved the Tapas bar on Floor 0, and usually went there not long after opening at 6pm for a “couple of starters” before going and changing for the restaurant. We also ate at the Chinese, which was not bad – not a great deal of choice, but a nice change. We took a travel kettle but didn’t end up using it as the restaurant opened at 8 and you could help yourself to tea and coffee there. We didn’t normally get up until 8:30/9:00 thanks to the blackout curtains . At 10am the main bar on Floor 0 opened and you could get tea, coffee or alcoholic drinks then.

The views from the hotel are fabulous and the location must be one of the best in Ibiza, although it is a bit remote from the rest of the island. However there are buses daily to Ibiza town and a couple of times a week to San Antonio, but you can do the bus to Ibiza and then go elsewhere if wanted. I think the bus fare was about EU2.65 single – they don’t do return. We hired a car for four days and must have seen all over the island in that time so if you like exploring it’s a must. By the way if you want to hire a car, I recommend Motoluis – it cost us EU194 for the 4 days including comprehensive insurance plus delivery and collection from the hotel.

The hotel was about ¾ full when we checked in and probably about ½ full when we left. There were all age ranges from young couples and young families with small children to oldies in their 70’s or 80’s. The weather was fantastic, although it only said 22-23 degrees for the daytime max, it was so warm in the sun between about 2 and 4pm that I couldn’t laze in the sun any longer than about ½ an hour or so.

We didn’t go swimming as I forgot to pack towels, but both the pools and sea looked inviting. Apparently the pool was cold as unheated but would have been a very refreshing escape from the heat. Twice we heard reports of jellyfish in the sea, although they may well have been brought in by the storm the night before we arrived. Towards the end of our holiday there wasn’t any mention of them.

Wifi is available at EU15 for the week, which I thought was excellent value as I’d taken my netbook, although they do have PC’s available on both the 8th and 0th floors. I can remember what the charges were.

Also, for all you smokers out there, tobacco was really cheap (don’t know about ciggies) at about £4.50 for a 50-gm packet of GV. There is a Tabac in San Miguel by the church where we bought 10 packs on arrival and another 60 packs before we left. They only take cash though so go prepared. We bought another 60 In Ibiza town for the same price on my VISA card, but at the airport it was dearer, so buy locally if you can.

One additional point, if you want to visit the caves –well worth a visit – go along the pathway from the hotel bar Floor 0 to the Galeon hotel and get the lift up to road level. It saves walking up a steep hill.

All in all, this was fantastic value for money and for a week in the sun I would thoroughly recommend the San Miguel hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pushkathecat
Reviewed 24 October 2010

After reading the reviews for this Hotel on Trip Advisor I was a little apprehensive about staying. However this Hotel definitely exceeded my expectations.
Location - Fantastic. A stones throw from the Beach which also meant a great view from our Balcony every morning! The area was lovely with an Irish Bar (closed up for end of Season on the Saturday) a Fish Restaurant and a Spar Supermarket and a Sports Bar but we barely left the complex as everything was there.
Lifts - We were on the 5th Floor which did mean we had to use the lift but it wasn't until the last but 1 day when we got stuck (for all of 3 minutes mind you!)
Rooms - Clean although a little on the small side but at the end of the day the room was only to sleep in! I was there with my 5yr old son and 17yr old brother and had no problems with space in the room.
Restaurants - The Main Dining Room in the San Miguel Hotel was absolutely lovely with plenty of choice at every meal. The Western Bar was basic but it was purely for snack and light food. The Chinese was excellent however as our week was out of season we had no problems with booking. I wouldn't like to go in peak holiday time.
Bars - For an All Inclusive Hotel I imagined the cocktails to be limited but there was at least 10 on a list along with many others available (not on the list) Beer was also good.
Pools - looked beautiful but were absolutely freezing! Nice to cool down on a hot day, not warm enough for me to swim in but the children didn't seem to mind! We always managed to get a sunbed near the kids pool (a necessity for me) however I think it would be hard to get one in peak time.
Thomson Kids Club - My son only made it to the Kids Club once. The 1st time he went to go to an evening club it was full and I wasn't aware that you had to register during the day which was slightly annoying. He then agreed to go on the last day of our holiday and loved it. The Reps were fantastic with the Kids, particularly 'Tricky Vicky' and 'Loopy Lee'! I really would hope they were there next time if we went again!
Overall this is a lovely Hotel out of Season. I'm not sure I'd like to go in the during the school holidays or peak seasonvas we found more problems occured as the Hotel got busy towards the end of our holiday when some fairly 'high attitude' Guests joined! Working in the Hotel Industry I am very particular but would certainly look at using this Hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010
#12 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Invisa Hotel Ereso
Invisa Hotel Ereso
#2 of 13 in Es Canar

Been to San Miguel Hotel? Share your experiences!