“FANTASTIC HOLIDAY!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Miguel Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port de Sant Miguel
San Miguel Hotel
Helston, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC HOLIDAY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at The San Miguel Hotel as a family of 4 on 30th May for one week. It was the first foreign holiday for our 2 little boys (aged 2 and 5) and we all absolutely loved it.

We were originally booked into The Beach Club but upon arrival we very quickly realised we wouldn't be happy staying in the room we were given as it was ground floor, next to the pool & had a view of a white hut. Thankfully my husband spoke to our Thomson rep (Kate) who was VERY helpful & got up upgraded to the hotel within a couple of hours of arriving. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

The complex is in a beautiful location and being a small island nothing seemed too far away either by bus, taxi or organised excursions. The hotel itself was spotlessly clean and our rooms were swept, had fresh towels & beds were made every day. The food in the main restaurant was varied & had something for everyone, also AMAZING views from up there! The staff were all helpful & friendly at all times. The beach is also spotlessly clean, easily accessible and has lovely calm sea for little ones to splash around in. We had great fun feeding bread to the fish!

The entertainment was very funny and although we didn't sit & watch it all evening, every evening (the boys had lots of fun playing on the beach & in the park til late while we sipped our cocktails!!) there was certainly enough to keep everyone entertained!

We would certainly go back to The San Miguel Hotel and recommend it as a great family holiday.

Room Tip: Stay in The Hotel not Beach Club for fabulous views.
3 Thank Nicola A

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Thetford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Just returned from 1weeks holiday at the San Miguel hotel and what a lovely hotel it was. Food was lovely and a good selection, staff very pleasant. I must say a big thank you to Michael the Thomson rep for the problem we had at the beach club and for sorting it out without hesitation. Would I return to the San Miguel hotel..yes definitely. It turned out to be a lovely experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are sea view.
2 Thank nessyb0184
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

After origanally being in the beach club then after asking to be moved into the hotel ( thanks to michael the thompson rep) we had a amazing holiday, food was great staff were helpful and entertainment was good, would definatly return :)

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Amyloo30
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

we have just got back mon 21st may after a week at this gorgeous place the views are amazing, the hotel is clean and welcoming and the staff there are fab, the entertainment is hilarious, what can i say this was my 2nd time and roll on next year so we can go back. i would recommend this place to everyone

Room Tip: got to be sea view
4 Thank carly l
HERTS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I was hoping to give a really good review of this hotel but sadly the treatment after we've returned has been awful and that is not only from some of the hotel staff but also from Thompson.

Having stayed at the El Greco in Portinax last year we had high expectations booking another 3* hotel in Ibiza. On first impressions the hotel appeared very nice and the reps Kate & Mike were very friendly and helped us with our bags as the hotel do not provide any trolleys or similar (The El Greco lent us a laundry cart!)

The room was adequate - fairly small for 5 people but nicely decorated and clean. Unfortunately for 4 days there was no hot water and no reason was given for this, even the reps didn't know! The beds were made every day and the bedding and towels were probably changed twice in the two weeks we were there. The room did have nice views and it was reasonably quiet even when the entertainment was outside.

The restaurant was well laid out - I actually chose this hotel based on the huge glass windows which gave a fantastic view of the bay but weren't good for sitting near with a baby due to the direct sunlight. Bruno the restaurant manager did a very good job of keeping the place running well. I was a bit miffed when he told us off because our 1 year old had dropped some food but it's fair enough that he wanted to keep the place clean and tidy! I spent the next two weeks on my hands and knees under the highchair cleaning after every meal! One evening at dinner we were presented with a bottle of bubbly from Bruno which was a lovely surprise! The food was fairly good and they do regular theme nights with fresh fish and the staff dress us as sailors! The Chinese restaurant was a bit of a disappointment as it was only open for 1 hour a night and it was a fairly cramped, stuffy windowless room. The quality of the food was fairly good though. The biggest disappointment was the food in the Western Saloon which was dire. The best bar was the 8th floor cocktail bar and Marie Jose was the best barmaid!
One downside to the restaurants is that they are totally inflexible on opening hours so if you are due to leave before 8am on departure day you will not be able to get any food.

The Club San Miguel pool was fantastic for small children and the Hotel pool was better for older children and adults. My 11 year old used both pools every day but we stuck to the Club pool for the little ones ( 2 and 1). The beach is also wonderful - lovely sands and beautiful calm clear water. We were at the beach every day and found some great palm trees for shade which saved us 10 euros for an umbrella. The kids club was also great, along with the mini disco. Emma and Brit did a great job getting the kids to dance! We didn't see much of the other entertainment as the toddlers didn't cope much after 9.30pm.

The lifts can be a bit of a nightmare at meal times as they are usually packed and it can take up to half an hour to get a lift if you have a pushchair. Several times I folded the buggy and walked up between 3 and 8 flights of stairs! I expect it's far worse in high season and I was very glad we didn't bring our double buggy.

I was also quite surprised the hotel charged for the majority of TV channels and for WiFi, something the El Greco provided free. At least the air con worked even though it was ancient and very noisy. Overall the hotel was clean and nice but seems to be in need of an update soon.

Unfortunately our real troubles started on our trip back when I realised I'd left my phone in the room (after being up all night with an ill baby and trying to get everyone fed between 8am and 8.15!) We reported this to the rep at the airport who then got in touch with the hotel. They said that if it was found then they would send it back to us if we were happy to pay which of course we were! We then heard nothing for about 4 days. I emailed the hotel and heard nothing. I then rang and was told my phone and a couple of the kids toys were with Kate the Thompson rep and she was going to contact me. Again I heard nothing. By this time it had been a week so my partner (who speaks very good Spanish) rang the hotel and arranged with the receptionist Lola that she would get the phone back from Kate and have it sent out to us and they would charge our card. All we had to do was email the details which we did. No response to that email. When it got to 10 days I got in touch with First Choice who are apparently "investigating". I emailed the hotel again to ask what was going on an received a somewhat rude email all in capitals from one of the Receptionists saying that she had no idea when I'd get my phone back as she had to post it on her day off. Now, I worked in hotel lost property in London and there's no way I would have spoken to a client in this way, nor would any member of staff be expected to do hotel related work on their day off. Apparently the rep had been told by her boss that she was not allowed to return any lost property to guests. This seems very odd to me and why didn't she get in touch and explain this? If the hotel had been polite and helpful then I would have rated them more highly but this experience means we won't be returning as it's left a very bad taste to be treated in such a rude manner. So 3* overall for the hotel but the customer service is what you would expect from a 1* .
We had planned to return next year but will most likely go back to the El Greco again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EMCHerts
Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

A 3 star you get what you pay for. Reception area on floor 8 gives the impression of a 4 star but the rest of the complex is truly 3 star standard.

Food - improved as the hotel geared up for the season. Chinese buffet recommended food often tepid in the main dining room.

Bedroom - spacious for 2 people.

Bathroom - a little tired.

Bar - plastic glasses in pool bar and the tapas bar (not sure why they could not be glass in the tapas bar). Main bar on floor 8 did not open until 21.00 hrs would have suited us better if it opended earlier for pre-evening meal drink.

Beach and bay views tremendous - isolated location if you did not have a car. However, there is a daily bus service (except Sunday) to Ibiza town and odd days to San Antonio etc.

Overall enjoyed the location and the hotel was what we expected from a 3 star resort.

Room Tip: Better sea views and quieter rooms away from the pool and main bar areas
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lks13
NEWTON ABBOT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I returned from a 1 week stay here last week and I personally absolutely loved it! The hotel reopened for the summer season on 1st May and I arrived on the 2nd so it was pretty quiet, but it busied up by the end.

The hotel is very clean overall. The rooms were very nice and the beds extremely comfortable! A double and 2 singles. Had 7 good nights sleep. I was on floor 3 and my sea view balcony had the most beautiful views, plus it was a sun trap in the afternoons. I would definitely recommend a sea view rather than a pool view.

The food was ok. Breakfast was fry up, continental, fruit, yoghurt or freshly cooked croisants or omelettes. Dinner and tea was a good choice or meat, fish, pasta or salad and lovely cakes for sweets. Alot of people complained about the food, but I suppose you cant please everyone! We managed to find a nice enough meal every day so I cant complain. Tho it was alot of the same kind of stuff churned out.

There were snacks like burgers, hot dogs n chips in the western saloon but this was the only thing I didnt like. The chips were nice but everything else tasted cheap and undercooked.

There is not alot in San Miguel except a few bars, restaurants and souvenir shops but that was just fine for me. If you want lots of pubs, clubs & shops San Miguel is NOT for you!

This hotel was so relaxed & laid back, I loved it, and as mentioned before, the views were fantastic!

The beach is just on the doorstep and just by the beach is a little train which runs to Portinax for 15 euros. Buses to Ibiza town & San Antonio pick up outside the hotel.

Entertainment was ok, while I was there there was a Hypnotist, a singer, a parrot show (why??) & Karaoke.

I would definetly go back to this hotel at the as I loved it.

Room Tip: Choose a Sea View room!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Invisa Hotel Ereso
Invisa Hotel Ereso
#1 of 13 in Es Canar
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,671 reviews

Been to San Miguel Hotel? Share your experiences!