“Lovely location but after 9pm not suitable for children”
Review of San Miguel Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port de Sant Miguel
San Miguel Hotel
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I travelled here as part of a group of 4, including two children. Had read good things before so had a bit of an expectation and I wasn't disappointed with the location and the cove-its stunning! Hotel was lovely in the reception but the room didnt really match up to that and a double bed and two singles didnt leave much room to move about so we were on top of one another at times. Bathroom had the odd stinky smell too but we didnt spend long enough in there to let it bother us.

I was shocked at the blatant selfish reserving of sunbeds way before 9am, when I looked over to the beach club I could often see 6 beds covered up with towels for one family-but no family in sight for hours! There should be a visible pool attendant that stops this from happening.

My other gripe....Zorros shows often arent suitable for a family audience. With such a high percentage of guests being children, I feel that simulating sex and humilation of people isnt really what I want to see on holiday. It screamed of cheap entertainment and something that you'd see at Butlins in the 1980s. I must be in the minority though as everyone seemed to love it and hes revered as some kind of god at San Miguel, and I really cant see why. For this reason alone I wouldnt recommend the hotel to anyone, Id probably say yes go to the bay but stay at the opposite hotel so you could avoid the evening shows (especially Mr San Miguel).

Sally is a lovely rep, warm and had plenty of time for my little one, so hats off to her for just being lovely!! I only used the kids club once and felt it was a bit small and not really present for a hotel that was so large. The lifts were a bit small too but I guess theres nothing that can be done about that.

The food-fantastic. Always something to choose from. Staff work so hard clearing tables and refilling the trays and nothing is too much trouble. People rave about the chinese but its not that brilliant so if you dont manage to get in then you arent missing much, its just nice for a change.

Overall we had a lovely holiday but that was mainly because of being away for a week in the lovely sun and the bay, not really because the hotel was 'brilliant' as it just felt like somewhere to stay. Change the evening entertainment and it would improve things a lot I believe.

We went to the beach most days as all the sunbeds were taken early, so to have a sunbed was 5 euros plus 5 for a parasol, so 15 E a day worked out quite a lot.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the sea view side rather than overlooking the western saloon and beach club.
3  Thank piffo

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We first stayed at this hotel 14 years ago with teenage children and found that it was the ideal place to have a week or two in the sun. We then went again on our own without children a few years later but haven't been back until last week when it was the 1st choice to take the grandchildren (ages 7 and 5) on their first holiday abroad.

I do have to say that it really hasn't changed at all and does look a bit tired but is kept perfectly clean and the atmosphere is still the same and the children were enthralled from the moment we arrived.

The room we were allocated overlooked the pool and whilst the sea views are fantastic from the other side of the hotel we were not really in the room long enough to worry about the views but if that is your thing I think you can arrange a sea view room if you contact the hotel before arrival. We had 2 double beds and 2 single (in an alcove so the children were in their own space) and a large balcony. Not the greatest amount of space but again we were not in there enough to worry about it.

The food in the restaurant was varied and plentiful and there was enough choice to satisfy a fussy husband and 5 year old and none of us went hungry all week. We really didn't use the Chinese restaurant although people we met who had been spoke highly of it. We also didn't use the snack bar in the Western Saloon as we preferred to eat in the restaurant.

I know some reviewers have made a lot of the fact that you can buy a large mug for 2 euro for your drinks, but you are not forced to do this and can have your drinks served in the usual plastic cups but as these are not very large it is up to you what to do. Although the signs say you can only order 2 drinks at the bar this is not actually the case and the barmen were quite happy to serve us with more than this so if you did not want to pay for the larger mugs it is not a problem to order a number of drinks at once so you do not have to keep going back to the bar. The children also liked the fact that there were ice lollies and ice cream on tap for when they got hot.

We didn't have too much problem with sunbeds. Those staying in the beach club were normally out very early reserving theirs but in the hotel the pool gates did not open until 9am and on one morning we saw the staff remove a number of towels that had been put out early as they were still cleaning so there was no point in hurrying to get your towels out. We did hear of one incident where a woman stood waiting for a while by the pool and when she saw a couple move to go to the bar she jumped in and took their towels off the beds leaving them on a wall and when they came back made out she could not understand them. We were told that she had done this on a number of occasions during the week.

The daytime activities were varied and there for anyone who wanted to take part. We couldn't really hear the speakers from the Hotel pool and kept forgetting what was taking place so missed quite a bit so it would have been nice for someone to go round (like they use to) to see if people wanted to take part. The children took advantage of the Thomson Kid's club and really enjoyed their 2 hour sessions each day. it was also useful for getting them out of the sun for a little while each day as it was very hot while we were there. The highlight of their week was the chocolate party. Yes we did have to pay extra for this but they had such a good time it was well worth it. The staff were really good with the children and even made our 7 year old a certificate after we informed them that he had learned to swim while we were there.

The evening entertainment was the usual mix of acts brought into the complex (the hypnotist was very good) and the animacion team headed by Zorro who has now been there for about 13 years. We didn't see every show but the ones we did were enjoyable enough for holiday entertainment and sketch night was well worth watching. The children loved the mini disco and the dancing with Tommi and Keko and we knew that we could sit at our table and see them at the front by the stage so that they could join in without us standing guard.

The only complaint i have about this hotel is that there are only 2 small lifts so at busy periods it is easier to use the stairs. We were on the 4th floor so halfway between the pool and the restaurant but if you higher or lower it could be a bit of a slog getting from one to the other. I'm sure there is enough room to either put in a couple more lifts or to enlarge the ones they already have. As I am getting less mobile i would have to think seriously about coming back to San Miguel for this reason as I do not want to stay in the low level beach club as i prefer the hotel but if I cannot manage the stairs i would have to consider staying at another resort which is a shame as we do like Peurto de San Miguel as it is a nice quiet resort away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger resorts.

Room Tip: Sea views are fantastic.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

returned from Ibiza on the 23 rd July. Second year of going to this resort. Entertainment brilliantly led by Zorro, great bunch and good varied acts.
I contacted hotel to try to secure last years room, didn't get that one but the room directly above. Fast response and we were very happy.
I move onto the lifts. We had 3 problems in the lift, 2 of which resulted in members of our family getting stuck. The hotel management didn't check on their welfare , neither did thomsons reply to my complaint. The top pool lifeguard witnessed my daughters 2 panic attacks and just sat and watched me assist her.He spent most of our 2 weeks on his mobile, getting the ladies phone numbers and wandering around. From this experience we won't be returning.
Great location,stunning views, not far from airport.

1  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We returned to this hotel, going all inclusive for second year running in July 2014. We booked last year with First Choice and stayed in 2 adjoining rooms on 7th floor, this year we were put in a 'superior room' on 5th floor. I must say it does seem the higher up the hotel you go the better the rooms appear to be. We were disappointed with room this year as there are 6 of us (2 adults and 3 teenagers and a 2 year old) and only had one bathroom between us this year as opposed to last year when there were 2, also the adjoining room did not have a balcony or even a window so was very very dark. I did go and see reception but they said it would be an extra 580 euros to upgrade which we could just not afford so just got on with it really. cleaners come in every day without fail even if you put up your 'no molestar' sign, they will come in later when you take down and are very helpful.
Internal door did keep locking itself and had to get help to open a few times which was inconvenient and awkward.
Apart from that must say we still had a lovely time, the kids all love it there and we feel safe enough to let them go off and do their own thing, love the fact that the beach is just a hop skip and jump away. The food is hit and miss but the great thing about all inclusive is if you don't like it grab something else. Would say the chinese was better in 2013 than this year though. ALL The staff are extremely friendly and are great with our small daughter.
We do still love it here but will try somewhere else next year now. Only advice I can give is stay high up in the hotel floors 7 or 8 are the nicest!!
All round in 2013 I would have given 5 stars, this year is a 4, but that was only because did not like room so much. Still adore the place and the staff and how at home you are made to feel.

Room Tip: Floors 7 and 8 very nice, ask for beach view if you want a quieter room.
2  Thank Jane W
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Have travelled here 11 times now and still think it is a great place to stay in Ibiza if you just want to relax by the pool or on the beach. Lots of activities to join in if you want to, arranged by the fantastic animation team. Food very good for a 3 star all inclusive - lots of choice at all meals and can book the chinese restaurant if you wish.

Hotel is always spotlessly clean and staff are friendly.

Much quieter this year than previously at both pools but the advantage being that you can get a sunbed at any time of day rather than having to get up at the crack of dawn!

Have very fond memories of all our times at San Miguel - you will either love it - as most viistors do - or hate it. We love it and although we have booked Mexico for next year, I would never rule out a return to my favourite holiday location - fantastic views and the fact that it is such a small resort are a bonus for me. But it doesn't take long to travel to other parts of the island if you want to do so.

Improvements being made every year - aircon units being replaced o that they are more modern and not as noiy and large flat screenTV in rooms now free with good choice of channels (especially appreciated this year for world cup/wimbledon and tour de france!!)

Would recommend a trip to Benniras on the Aquabus on a Sunday evening.

Room Tip: Rooms are either sea view or pool/inland view. Both are amazing but better on a higher floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mlne
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We emailed in advance to ask for a quiet room and were delighted to be allocated a room on the 5th floor (near the end of the corridor ) with beautiful sea/beach views. Room clean and tidy, although not enough storage for a family of four but we managed. Food in the restaurant was of high quality and always piping hot, although not as much choice as previous all inclusive hotels. Children's section was not so good but mine always found something to eat from the main buffet. Three theme nights each week, fish, cheese and carvery. All very nice. The Chinese restaurant was lovely, plenty of choice and made a change from eating in the main restaurant. During the day snacks were available from the Western Saloon Bar and were ok. We ate there a few times when we couldn't be bothered to change out of swimwear to go up to the eighth floor!! Drinks were plentiful and big selection as were icecreams. My children particularly enjoyed the Mr Whippy and popcorn machines! What makes this place so popular with so many guests returning year after year is their fabulous entertainment team, Zorro and his team are so friendly and give their all to make sure everyone enjoys themselves. A massive thank you goes to the lovely Susana and Emma who my two children loved. They were so kind and polite and kept all the children active everyday with activities such as football, table tennis, quoits, french boules, skittles, giant jenga etc. My children are shy but couldn't wait to join each game and that was purely down to Susana and Emma. The kids club team were absolutely fantastic especially Caitlin and Khloe who were so friendly. Our children really enjoyed the activities on offer. I must mention Leigh the First choice report who was so helpful. Always around the complex. On my daughters 6th birthday she put a card and balloons on our hotel door for her, a really nice thought. They have kids mini disco every evening followed by a show by Zorros team or a professional outside act. Something for everyone. The swimming pools were very clean although cold but soon got used to it. Sun beds were a problem during our second week as it was May half term so I Would imagine Summer school holidays is a nightmare!! This complex is right on the beach which was lovely, free canoeing which was brilliant. We took the local bus into Ibiza Town which is well worth a visit. Overall a lovely hotel for families with decent food and great activities and entertainment. Wouldn't recommend if you like somewhere to walk to and plenty of shops as San Miguel is a very small, quiet resort. Keep up the good work, we may return one day.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are quieter and really hot balcony in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsWrighty79
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks hotel very clean, room spotless cleaners were brilliant, view over beach and sea excellent, food very good , entertainment for children was good but for adults a bit low key as we didnt have children it was a bit of a turn off but the drinks were good.but we still enjoyed our hols the only complaint I had was the hand sanitizers were empty.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#12 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Invisa Hotel Ereso
Invisa Hotel Ereso
#2 of 13 in Es Canar

Been to San Miguel Hotel? Share your experiences!