“Fantastic views, great food, basic rooms”

Hotel Ole Galeon Ibiza
Surrey, England.
“Fantastic views, great food, basic rooms”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We are a family with three children aged 2, 12 & 16. Overall we all enjoyed ourselves and came home relaxed and well fed. The views are amazing, the staff were lovely, we liked all the food, mexican was great for lunch by the pool with a cerveza! There is the western bar on the beach open 12pm til 6pm, they serve burgers, chicken, sausage and chips! But if you prefer the healthy option they do a lovely tuna salad! Drinks were ok, apart from the fruit juice at breakfast which tasted like syrup, and on some mornings all the drinks from the machine were salty.
The rooms, although clean, were not that great, the airconditioning was really noisy and I had to put cotton wool in my ears to sleep, didn't sleep very well for the whole holiday. Pillows are hard as iron too.
As we have a 2 yr old, we had a cot in our room, it was dirty and unsafe, I had to ask 5 times until I got a clean unstained mattress, not impressed with that.
The hotel Galeon is part of two others, you can use thier facilities too, it is the quieter of the three, which we prefered, the beach club was busy, we called it Benidorm!
Even though the rooms were not great we did enjoy our stay, we were only in the room to sleep anyway! Not sure if i would return though, because of the noisy air con and lack of peaceful sleep.
The resort itself was lovely, very safe for the children, and great views.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We travelled as 6 adults, two 15 year olds, an 11, 9 and 5 year old and there were certainly no complaints from any age group.
Our room was quite basic but this is a 3 grade property so cannot complain, yes the dresser is a little close to the patio door...we just moved it along a bit and stood the chair out of the way. There is sometimes a drain smell in the bathroom but we only found this if we left the door shut all day. Room was spotless and cleaned to perfection by Sonia every day. We were on floor 9 and had an amazing view of the bay, past the small island and way out into the Med.
Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Restaurant staff have to be the most miserable bunch of people I have ever seen, especially the waiter we seemed to get every day. We thanked him in Spanish but even that wasn't enough to raise an acknowledgement or smile. I did see him chatting to some people so we came to the conclusion it was just the British he didn't like!
Didn't spoil the food though which on the whole was good. The kids sometimes struggled to find something at lunch and dinner but as there were chips and ice cream available they never went hungry. As adults we tried various different foods, most of which we enjoyed, but that is down to personal preferences and not the cooking. Desserts were often a delight and we looked forward to see what cakes were on offer every night.
Bar staff were slightly friendlier but I have to single out Sebastien who made the effort to be friendly to every nationality and even let the kids throw him in the pool when he finished his shift!!!
Entertainment was typical of holidays abroad, a mixture of proffessional shows and the entertainment team, of which Anka and Jake were superb. Our 5 year old loved the mini disco and we found something to laugh at most nights. There were various games for the kids and adults to join in with but the main entertainment area was down at the sister hotel San Miguel Beach Club.
The beach was beautiful and clean and early in the morning the fish would come and eat of your hand! Sunbeds were 4 euros 50 and umbrellas 4 euros although it depended who was taking the money as to whether we were charged for the brolly!!
Canoes were free for half an hour at a time and could be used as many times as you liked, we all enjoyed a few trips around the bay. Pedalos were 12 euros per hour. There are also banana boat rides which I believe were 8 euros, but 4 for hotel guests, don't know these prices for definite though. Glass bottom boat was 10 euro for adults and 5 for kids but we didn't bother as have done them on other holidays and found then a waste of money.
You can use the Western Saloon at the edge of the beach as part of the all inclusive but it doesn't open until 12. Staff here were very friendly and the chicken fillet at the snack bar was actually superb!!
We walked round to the caves and I have to say although they were ok, I'd save the trip for a cloudy day, the tours weren't greatly organised and the guide we had, his English wasn't too good and we struggled to understand him. 8 euros 50 for adults 5 euros for kids.
Three of the adults took a taxi over to to Ibiza Town for the evening, think it costs around 35 to 40 euros each way, so not cheap but they said it was worth it. San Antonio is about the same as although it is much nearer as the crow flies, to get there by road you go back towards the centre of the island and out again.
There is a small row of shops just at the back of the beach and an irish bar which was only open once the whole time we were there!! Supermarkets here have absolutely everything you could need and there's also a medical centre here, shop shut at about 9pm.
We didn't try the Chinese however we did try the Mexican corner which we renamed Fly City!! I will say no more!
Overall we all had a good, relaxing holiday, and no age group were bored at any time. The resort is isolated but there are plenty of things to do throuhgout the 3 hotels by day and night. If you want to visit other towns then I would suggest hiring a car, there is a hire shop and excursion centre along the row of shops.
There were no unruly groups of teenagers here as it is a little far out for the clubs. Reception do sell tickets to all the major bars and clubs however they are quite expensive to get to so if clubbing is your thing, I would reccommend staying nearer San Antonio or Ibiza Town.

• Stayed July 2010
herts
Reviewed 12 July 2010

had a brilliant two weeks in this hotel, the staff were very friendly and all the entertainment team were great. there were lots of place too eat including the chinese which you need to book up at reception the day before. plenty of things to do for instance archery. rifle shooting, darts, table tennis and some great entertainment in the evenings including jack in his dress. the food was good with a cooked breakfast every day. a nice walk to the beach but if you have young children or people with mobility problems you are better to stay at the bottom hotel. the view from my room wa amazing, i will be going back next year.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My Mum and I (60 something and 35 years of age) went all inclusive to the Galeon for a week's getaway in the sun.  I read mixed reviews and felt a bit nervous about staying there, but this hotel is lovely.  Slight hiccup at the airport as our coach had not turned up and when it did, some people that had not booked a transfer sat on the coach for an hour holding us all up, but when we got there it was worth it.  Had a lovely lunch and an investigative stroll down to the beach and first impressions were promising.Room was nice, although it was a bit awkward to get out of the patio door as the dressing table was in the way, but okay balcony overlooking the pool area and the lovely cove.  Plenty of room to store everything (haven't yet mastered the art of packing light!).  Yes, there was a smell of drains on occasion, but it is not constant and it is not something that would put me off of going back.  The restaurant was fab, loads of choice, friendly efficient staff.  Even on the 2 days when I wasn't wild about what was on offer, I definitely did not go hungry and I didn't have to resort to eating chips as has been the case in some hotels!  I'm quite fussy but I even found myself trying stuff that I hadn't eaten before or didn't know what it was!  Really nice, couldn't fault the food, especially when they had lovely fresh salad and fruit out every day.  Good selection of meats and pasta, fresh bread.  Excellent choice at breakfast.  Excellent drinks, no watered down rubbish at this hotel - if you are going for the cocktails be warned that they make them strong!  Again, you could have anything you wanted and it was pretty much always service with a smile.  Thgey also had special nights in the restaurant such as fresh fish, meats and even cheese!We spent most days on the beach - 4.5 euros for a sunbed each.  Lovely little cove, perfect for sunbathing and swimming.  Souvenir shop, supermarket and Irish bar opposite.  We only stayed round the pool for one day and it was a little crowded but it didn't stop us sunbathing.  The only comment (and I can't even really complain about this!), was that the music was a little loud around the pool.  Even that didn't matter when they had chillout music going because then you really felt like you were in paradise!  We didn't see much entertainment as I was usually tired out quite early or we would go to the bar upstairs by reception which was less busy and sit out on the terrace.  The last night we saw some fantastic dancers though and there was a regular programme of stuff going on throughout the day.  The Galeon is a little more adult than the other hotels down the hill, which we were grateful for as there weren't so many kids running around the pool or in the bar at night.The hotel itself is at the top of the cliff, being the last of a series of hotels as you make your way up.  You can get drinks in any of the hotels and in the Western Saloon bar next to the beach (avoid the snacks in that place!).  Be warned - the path up to the hotel from the beach is quite uneven - I fell on the path a few days into the visit and on talking to other guests later in the week, we heard about two other people that had tripped in exactly the same spot, so take care.  We both managed the walk up to the hotel and back several times a day, although I can see why some people may say it is not for those with reduced mobility.  There is a souvenir shop and a laundry in the complex as well.There is loads of choice for food and snacks although some of the restaurants you have to book.  We found the reception staff extremely helpful, the bar staff were friendly if you bothered to make the effort with them and basically I couldn't have had a nicer time.The Galeon is in quite a quiet spot and you have to get a cab across the island or make friends with the reps to tag along if you want to go clubbing, but the hotel will also organise trips for you, as will the reps (if you can find one - they hang out at the next hotel down), and they also sell tickets to the main clubs.I did get a bit bored towards the end of the week, but I certainly can't fault the Galeon - for £380 all inclusive I think it's a lovely little place and I would certainly recommend it.  I would definitely go back again but I would take a little more money so that I could get across town and party! But be warned, reception are quite strict about noise after midnight - we were woken several times at 3 in the morning by the people in the room next to us arguing after their nights out clubbing and in the end we had to complain, but the staff could not have been more helpful and it soon went quiet.  Think we were just unlucky with those particular guests!I am quite fussy about cleanliness and quality of food and after some truly dreadful stays in other hotels in various places in the last few years, I was impressed with the Galeon.  I really enjoyed my stay so I hope you will too!  Thanks for reading.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank queenofrock
cymru
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Stayed all inclusive in July, not during school holidays. Found it very difficult to find a lounger, hard plastic with no covers. Room was cramped with 3 beds in, and very basic, had to climb over dressing table to get to the balcony, maids didn't like to leave too much toilet paper!. The view was fantastic over the bay. The food was excellent, but the drinks were awful, all served out of plastic cups and strange smelling/tasting water. You did feel as if you were trying to get some things for free, but what staff should remember, you have already paid for your drinks and snacks!! Unable to get a drink of water after midnight, had to pay nearly £2 for a small bottle from vending machine, at least that didn't taste stale. The entertainment area outside was dirty and smelly, like drains. Lovely beach and surrounding bay. The free use of canoes were a welcome bonus and great to padle around the bay. Would go back, but not All Inclusive to this Hotel. As this is a Family friendly Hotel, you will find it full of young children, no suitable entertainment for teenagers.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lipsyfishcer
COVENTRY
Reviewed 24 November 2009

This was our first time all-inclusive, and we travelled with our 3 you kids (age 1-5) and friends who also had 2 young kids.
On arrival the hotel reception is very welcoming and staff are friendly.
The room was pretty good, functional, not a bad size with a double bedd, 2 singles in an alcove and room for a cot, with a decent en-suite. The balcony was in Ok condition, could have been better, but the view was incredible, over the San Miguel bay and the yachts - it is worth going just for that view.
Maid service was daily and excellent, friendly and room cleaned and tidied as well as setting up kids teddies etc to amuse the kids.
The pool was OK, could do with a bit of maintenance around it, but not that bad, and kids pool was small, but OK.
Poolside bar very handy, and staff generally friendly.
The all inclusive was excellent, the quality of the food really surprised me. In the morning you could have a full english fry up (which I had every day) as well as continental, cereals, fruit and loads of other options.
Lunch was even better, with some magnificent main meals that set you up for the rest of the day, and dinner provided loads of variety, with good quality meals. The head chef was very helpful, and even did me prawn crackers (freshly made) whenever I asked. All in all I would say the food is excellent. Only downside of the restaurant was a bit of a lack of high chairs.
Wine and beer with dinner was on tap, alongside the buffet, and was pretty good stuff, as well as many different fruit juices on tap.
We went down to the beach on a couple of occasions, and contrar yto other reviews, it wasn't too bad a walk unless you are disabled or just a lazy [--]. I carried my son in his pushchair all the way down (in fact ran all the way down to catch the glass bottom boat one day) and it was fine. Walk up OK too, especially when you get free beer once you get back to the bar!
Don't go on the glass bottom boat, it's more like an old trawler, with a grubby couple of widows stuck on the bottom - looks like they haven't been cleaned in years and if there were any fish, you couldn't see them anyway.
Beach is good, and there's free canoes for AI customers, as well as pedaloes with slides on (10 euros).
Evening entertainment for kids was well funny, and they loved it, and the adult entertainment was generally OK.
There is wifi but only seems to be available in reception and you have to pay for it!
Visitors were a nice mix of English, French, German, Spanish and Eastern Europeans. Lovely friendly atmosphere,
All in all and excellent hotel for the price. The hotel could do with a little updating, but location is excellent.
Only downside was the family of chavs(English) who arrived half way through the week - first day they were paraletic by mid-afternoon, leaving their kids to look after themselves in the pool!. By evening they were in the restaurant and almost caused a fight and were staggering around bumping into people - by rights they should have been chucked out. The next day I told them how they acted the day before and they had no shame and carried on the same. Luckily they were the minority, and everyone else seemed friendly and sensible.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Sulli69
Macclesfield. England
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We stayed at the Galeon in August 2009 for 10 days, we had 3 teenagers with us and a 7 year old. We have stayed in San Miguel a few times and always stayed at the San Miguel hotel but decided this year to stay at the Galeon. The reception staff were brilliant and could'nt do enough for us. (Unfortunately my husband caught an infection whilst in Ibiza - the reception staff were so helpful when we needed medical assistance etc).
The restaurant staff were great and very efficient.
The only member of staff we had a problem with was Jose Maria in the main bar, he was so rude and miserable and many of the guests did complain about him.
The rooms are adequate and spotlessly clean.
The pool is lovely and clean and the beach is nice and safe. There are quite a few steps down to the beach which is not great if you have pushchairs etc. You can take advantage of the free kayaking/ windsurfing which the teenagers did.
The food here was more than adequate and plenty of choice as we ate at the San Miguel hotel a couple of times and also the Chinese restaurant which you do need to book. The Mexican restaurant is great for lunches, I went through the whole menu, all of it really nice and the girl who manages it is lovely.
The entertainment in the evenings was good but if you want it british and loud, then go down to the San Miguel - the Galeons entertainment is a bit quieter!
If you fancy a late drink there is a good Irish bar over the road (Not part of the all inc) called Caseys, great music and great atmosphere til the early hours.
Jose and Libby do the entertainment here and they are both brilliant, they are around all day and night and try to get everyone involved in the games and entertainment. Libby also looks after the children in the day and she is fantastic and such a lovely girl.
There is a bus stop directly outside the hotel door which is so convenient, there are regular buses into Ibiza town/ Es Cana/ San Antonio, we used the buses quite a bit, they are regular and cheap (around 3 euros to Ibiza town).
If you love shopping, the hippy market on a Wednesday is a must, you can get the bus there for around 4 euros which is a lot chaper than the reps charge! Be warned - The hippy market is hot and busy but if you like clothes/ jewellery etc its worth going.
You can also get the 'Noddy' train from the beach which takes you through a few towns and into Portinax, its a morning or afternoon out and you get to visit a few churches/ towns/ beaches, this does cost around 14 euros but I thought it was worth the money.
The Caves are around a 10 minute walk from the hotel and are well worth a visit.
It is such a beautiful part of Ibiza, you can make it as relaxing or as entertaining as you want as there is so much choice. It is a perfect place for families. We have already booked to go again next year and we cant wait.

Julie Gregory & the Gregory Family, Macclesfield

#4 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Hotel Club Cala Tarida
Hotel Club Cala Tarida
#1 of 4 in Cala Tarida

Been to Hotel Ole Galeon Ibiza? Share your experiences!