“Got what we paid for”
Review of Club San Miguel

Club San Miguel
“Got what we paid for”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We are a party of 2 adults and 2 infants (2 yrs and 6 mths). I was nervous about taking my 2 little ones to a hotel that was only 3 star but I really shouldn't have been. We arrived late and we was checked in very quickly. Therr are no lifts in the apartments and we was put on the 2nd floor which was a nightmare everyday with a double buggy....but I didn't request a ground floor so that was my fault! Rooms are basic and clean, but could do with abit updating. Rooms were cleaned and made up everyday. There was some noise during the night coming from close by bars....this sometimes went on until 3am in the morning.

My only complaint would have been the state of the cot we was given....it have paint peeled off and the frame was broken. My little one settled in it really well (which doesn't usually happen lol) so I didn't ask for a different one as I didn't want to unsettle him. I'm sure they would have changed this if I had asked.

Staff are friendly apart from a couple of the bar staff, one was that miserable i found it really funny!

You can use the facilities in both the apartments or hotel, but more going on in the apartments. Entertainment and activities for the children was really good and my eldest loved it. The adult entertainment started about 9.30pm and it was really funny. Those who complained that it wasn't suitable for children....I'm sorry but its down to the parents to take their children away if they don't like it! Food was ok....we preferred to eat in the hotel. Loads more choice and more space. But you do need to book.

The swimming pool is very cold...too cold for my youngest! But pool was clean and there was alway plenty of sunbeds around the pool, but if you want a good spot you do need to get towels out early. Some people even put theirs out before they went to bed....which back fired when it rained heavily through the night. Lol.

Overall great holiday and we feel we got what we paid for and it is definitely rated correctly as a 3 star only.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Gemma H

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Ammanford Wales
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Arriving at the San Miguel beach club and had a lovely welcome by reception and our room was ready at 12pm when we arrived not a complaint to be made we went as a family 2 children age 2 and 11 and they both loved it activities for older one all day and entertainment was great they also loved the ice cream machine and the popcorn machine food was good available all day from meals to snacks highly recommended 2.70 euro bus ride to Ibiza town on the beach front ideal for everyone returning next year . Rooms are basic but not a problem to us we only use the beds which were comfy

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Clare181
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Booked through Thomson for a 2 week AI holiday with my wife and 2 sons (6&4).
I can honestly say this is the most excited I have been going on holiday for a very long time.

We arrived and was given our room. the first thing you get when you open the door is the strong smell of damp.

The bathroom was a disgrace (see attached pictures).

Went to ask to be changed but we were told that the 2nd floor rooms were the best. we then asked to change to the hotel. this was sorted by the reps. we went to the reception of the hotel to be told that we could be moved for a few days but then move back to the stinky room (we did not bother).

The rep (Neil) told us he has sent lots of reports to head office about the state of the hotel. 2 days later Neil did "a runner" back to the UK.

First morning at breakfast we found an inch long piece of wire in my sons scrambled egg so ate at the main hotel for the 2 weeks. to be fair the food wasn't bad.

the first nights entertainment was men v muppets (women). surely calling women muppets nowadays is a bit backwards.

daytime entertainment was not bad for the kids and the kids club was good.

music played all day by the pool which is fine. however on 2 occasions they played Azealia Banks - 212. with lyrics like "I bet that c&&&& gettin eatin" and "I'm gonna ruin you c&&&".
Not sure that is appropriate.

my son and I both had stints of sickness. both times this was after going in the pool. we saw the pool cleaned once and never was anyone checking the water.

I can honestly say that i have never been anywhere before when somany people have complained about their rooms.

yet some people go year after year and love it.

so I think it is like marmite. you are either gonna love it or hate it.

needless to say I will not be writting my second review same time next year as i will never ever go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank wayne r
Reviewed 30 March 2013

this will b our 3rd yr at the resort.surely thats a gud enough reason for 1st timers to give it a try!zorro and his team keep children and adults entertained from morning until nite.rooms are basic but very spacious n cleaned daily.the hotel has more choice of food then the club but all in all theres a gud range to choose from and there is also the western saloon,tapas and chinese restaurant 2 choose from.staff are friendly and wil do all they can to help you wiv any needs you have during your stay.all holiday makers are friendly and i guarntee you wil make a alot ov friends on your san miguel journey.roll on san miguel 2013!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: i got room 307 and with havin a toddler in a pram i asked to changed rooms nex morning and i was all...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank jen8540
Wattisham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This was mine and my husbands very first holiday ever, we didn't have a clue what to expect and was quite nervous. We arrived at the hotel in the early hours of the morning in the middle of a thunderstorm in Sept 2012. This probably wasn't the best start to any holiday. The hotel is very clean and the staff are very friendly! The weather was perfect from the 1st morning :). The Thompson Reps were very helpful and gave us lots of help about what was about to see and do. The beach is right next to the hotel with lots of different water activities too. The food was great, a wide variety throughout and the western saloon is readily available for snacks during the day! There were plenty of sun loungers although to get best spots you did have to get towels out early. The pool is lovely with childrens slide and also a water spa seating area :). I have to say the best part of the whole holiday was definitely the entertainment crew. Throughout the day they have different activities for both children and adults, in the late afternoon they have childrens entertainment where the children are encouraged to join in and then in the evening lots of different entertainments for the adults! I am so excited about going back next year with my daughter as I know she will love it just as much as me :).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Louise W
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Been going to this hotel for 9 years in a row and that's for a reason! The hotel has won awards for it's entertainment which is why we continue to come here. The entertainers make the place fun and exciting as they are always making new guests feel welcome and involving everyone in the activities. The food is very average but there is a variety, including a fast food bar in the afternoon where you can help yourself to chips, burgers, hot dogs and much more. The restaurant offers a wide range of food with a fish night once a week. The food is not fantastic but is not the worst. The facilities are good, with 2 swimming pools, a tennis court, park for the kids and a kids club. Would recommend this hotel for anyone coming to Ibiza, however it is at the opposite end of the island from the town.

Room Tip: We have always stayed on the 8th floor and have no problems at all!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank JakeGr
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Arrived at the San Miguel Hotel late evening for the last 2 weeks of July 2012. We were part of a family of 10 with 4 children aged between 1 and 12. There were no food or drinks available after our long journey except for the cans of pop we bought out of the machine in reception.

The evening entertainment was not child friendly comments were made that were not suitable for young children. It was very embarrassing sat there with our 12yr old child. The Thomson children reps were the worse they were very rude and never smiled or said hello to anyone.

The food was the same everyday not much variety, I had to stop my children from using the ice-cream and pop corn machine seeing children helping themselves without adult supervision. I lost count the number of children coming out of the toilets going straight to get ice-creams. This was probably the cause of my children's upset stomachs.That and the fact I never saw the pool being cleaned once in all the 2 weeks we were there.

If you complained to the reps their response was what do you expect for 3 star. I expect what I pay for clean hotel friendly staff and edible food. Some days we were lucky to get any of this.
There was also the problem of the young French tourist who think the hotel is 18-30. They come in late shouting and running along the corridors sometimes till 5am in morning groups of 10 or more.

We have visited many places over the years and have found this to be the worse. I wouldn't go back if it was free.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Hacienda Na Xamena, Ibiza
#3 of 8 in Port de Sant Miguel
Sandos El Greco Beach Hotel
Barcelo Portinatx - Adults only

Been to Club San Miguel? Share your experiences!