“Good in parts”

Price range: US$37 - US$74
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A group of us ate at his reaturant for two nights and having had 18 meals I think it is true to say that the restaurant is good at a few dishes and poor at others. It seems that if you order for example; Lenguada a la plancha, because it is simple, it will be fine. However, if you order a local speciality fish broth type of dish, which needs to be constructed well, it might come with an eye staring up at you and various hacked fish floating in the liquid. Presentation is relatively unsophisticated and when a waiter knocks your wine over you don't get a replacement and no reasonable kind of apology either. The Fideua was ridiculously expensive (28 Euro pp) and was not made with noodles but macheroni!! The lobster that was in it (presumably to justify the price) was just chopped roughly and thrown in without removing some of the inedible bits that should have been excluded.
This restaurante is clearly taking advantage of its monpoly position in this small port area by providing generally average service and a hit and miss food delivery. It would never survive with decent competition in, say, any other decent resort with more than one local fish restaurant.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

A beautiful and scenic drive till you reach the Port of Balansat. Parking available. Mesmerized by the magnificent view, wait till your food comes. Attentive, friendly service (no English) but we got on well all the same. Excellent seafood platter, toooooo much for 1 person. FRESH fish, grilled with attention and that at €30.00. Cooked to perfection pepper-steak, with which drank a very reasonable Lagar de Cervera 2009! what more could girls want? OK, a mini Sacher tarte was not to be denied.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I read a lot of reviews about this restaurant before we went on holiday. Most reviews said it was the best seafood restaurant on the island. We thought this was great as we were staying in the San Miguel resort and we love our seafood.
We looked at the menu a few days before we ate there and decided it would be a one off special treat for us because its not cheap. (€90 for lobster!!)
There were the two of us and our 2 kids. We both ordered seafood soup for starter, which was nice, and paella for our main. The kids had lasagne, which was not very good.
I had only just finished my soup and my partner was only half way through hers, when they started to serve up our paella. I had to tell them that we haven't finished eating our starters yet, but the waiter said the paella had to be eaten now as the rice was cooked properly now. My partner had no real choice other than abandoning her starter to rush into her main course.
This ruined the meal and the evening. We were hoping for a nice relaxed enjoyable meal. I would hope that the head chef would know how long seafood soup takes to prepare, eat and let settle before your main course arrives!
We felt rushed almost to the point were we felt we weren't welcome. The same thing happened to a couple we spoke to at our resort. We are both proffesional people not a pair of chavs. Needless to say we didn't have desert or leave a tip.

We had another paella at Es Grop reastaurant in Petit Arenal, which was awesome, double the fish and cheaper! Go there instead.

1  Thank psdodd
Reviewed 8 August 2013

In my 5 visits to Ibiza I have had the opportunity of eating at Restaurant Balansat 2 times (with a 3 year gap in between), and both experiences have been perfect. The food is great, I recommend to try typical Spanish/Mediterranean summer dishes which are their speciality. I've tried:
- Bullit de peix
- Paella (DELICIOUS!)
- Range with garlic (gambas al ajillo), the range where fresh, espectacular
- Squid (chipirones) perfect to eat while you wait for the rice

Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was reluctant to try the restaurant but I'm glad I did. We didn't order fish but instead had 2 pizzas and a pasta dish. The pizzas were delicious, my 6 year old nearly ate the whole pizza! My pasta dish of tortellini was fantastic and a great portion size. Good value for money and a stunning view of the bay. Wine was only €2.50 a glass which was fab. Ignore the last review about charging €100 for a seat, total nonsense. Will definitely return for another meal when we visit puerto San Miguel again.

AptBalansat-Torremar, Manager at Restaurante Port Balansat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thank you very much for your response.

At the Restaurant Balansat, we try to satisfy our customers and the quality of the products and the service are both really important for us.

Hope to see you again in the near future.