“Feel robbed ....”

San Miguel Park & Esmeralda Mar Apartments
Reviewed 15 August 2013

After arriving at our room (myself, my husband & 3 children) at 2am we were faced with dead cockroaches & beetles on the floor! Dead insects in corners of rooms & under beds which stayed with us for the week ... We removed the cockroaches!
We had 2 bathrooms due to 2 rooms, we couldn't use one of the bathrooms as the plug was too big for the bath & the shower would not attach to the wall.
A pair of trainers did mysteriously disappear from our room.
Couldn't use all of the line on the balcony as the air conditioning unit constantly leaked & also there was a leak from the balcony above us which meant we couldn't use half of the balcony.
Rooms smelt musty.
If you go to reception in the afternoon your asked to go back in the morning as non English speaking, when you do go back in the morning the guy is very unhelpful, like he can't be bothered.
Not a great deal of selection with food. Thankfully they served chips most nights otherwise we would have been hungry .... This hotel really doesn't cater for kids!!!!
The only compliment I can give this place is to the guys, Sonny & Rachid, who do the entertainment. They are great with the kids :-)

Good Luck if you are going to this place, I hope you have a better experience then myself & my family did.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Tracey1978Andy1977

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Was a bit worried about going to Ibiza, when that's all the travel agent could find.having 3 small children. We stayed at the esmeralda,with a sea view beautiful modern room.most days we had the pool to ourselves.very clean hotel, food was ok not wonderful but we always found something we liked. Staff really friendly. Definitely not a hotel for 18-30s neither is this part of the island.very small and quiet.never been to same place twice but this is a hotel we are going to go back year after year.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Toots84
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was our first time in Ibiza. We hired a private transfer from the airport which took 25-30mins. On arrival the reception staff were very helpful however the walk up to the room with the suitcases was a little difficult with 2 small children and a lot of steps. Nice pool view room, however room was very basic. Maid service 6 days per week. We were all inclusive which meant kids could get lollies/icecreams drinks whenever they wanted which was ideal. Breakfast served from 8-11am, then snacks, lunch 1-3pm, then snacks, evening meal 7-9pm, then snacks again 10-11pm. Good choice of meals at lunch/evening meals, pastas, rices, fish, meats, salad, bread rolls, soup, french fries/roast potatoes/jacket potatoes, pizza, chicken nuggets, spring rolls, fish fingers, ham/cheese rolls. Each day the meal was different with a wide variety. I enjoyed my meal each day however my husband is very fussy so he only had the plain food each day. Also yoghurts, fresh fruit and plenty of choice of deserts after each meal. Daytime entertainment for the kids was really good, Sonny and Rashid were fantastic, they really made our holiday!! Events throughout the day, killer pool, darts, table tennis, made up tasks, quite entertaining for us adults too. One day their was an arranged walk up to the cave, another day there was a group visit the banana boats but we were happy to just chill around the pool. Kids disco starts at 8.30pm and lasts approx 20mins, kids loved this and some adults get dragged up too which was good to watch, then there is other entertainment arranged, from parrot show, bingo, quiz night, music night, mr san miguel competition for the men, comedy/singer who was really funny. Only negative about the night is that the bar shuts at 11pm, which makes the night feel really short as the entertainment doesnt start until 8.30pm. Beach short walk from the hotel, down a slight hill but not as hard as some people have commented previously. My 3 year old with a heart condition was able to walk back up. Few shops and bar/restaurants on the walk down to the beach. Ideal location if you're wanting a quiet convenient holiday. We had a day at the water park which we arranged through a lady down at the excursion shop, enjoyed this too however our children were very limited as to what they were allowed on. Overall, great holiday, I would definately return.

Room Tip: If youre wanting a sea view room be aware that it is quite a walk from the restaurant up to the room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was quite unhappy with the outdated rooms. It was difficult for me to sleep well in the old bed. The bathroom was an impertinance. The food was partly good especially when they cooked it on their own but as soon they offerd convenience products (like chicken nuggets or fish fingers) my impression was that it was of cheap quality. Couldn´t eat that, not my taste. The entertainment program was lousy. It was ok for kids up to 7 years. The main pool was always overcrowded. That the few sunlounges and parasols were always occupied with towels is more a common thing I guess but it made me a bit angry that they had only so few of them for the many guests. Internet access was difficult and only in one small spot in the restaurant area available and you always had to login in again and again. Overall we survived but my rating is mostly based on my perception that we paid quite a lot for what we finally got.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed on an all inclusive for 2 weeks the bar staff the maids the staff were fantastic Lola, and the girls did an excellent job the food was very varied and nothing was too much trouble sunny the rep and rashid did a fab job with the kids lots to do for the family a great base for the island or just family entertainment I would go back tommorow my youngest son is in tears about the people he missed thank you for a brilliant holiday Andy

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 4 August 2013

After reading reviews on here I sort of knew what to expect, apartment was fine with a beautiful view of the beach, there is only 1 Buffett to eat at which is down 3 very steep hills from our apartment not so bad going down but a mission to get back up in the heat my legs were killing me by end of week, and I am a fairly fit 40 yr old, and after a day at the beach to tread back up was a nightmare carrying stuff...I have stayed all over the world and can honestly say this was the worst food we have had, very limited choice and it just didn't look very appealing, but other guests said it was very nice, so maybe it's just us 4 that were fussy? Didn't hang round the bottom pool as it was too busy had a few day at the top pool ( near our apartment ) much quieter and the other days at the beach, there were jelly fish on 1 day and the flag was flying to make you aware but the day before we went on the banana boat and when we all fell in the water we saw a jelly fish and my daughter was stung by it but not too bad luckily. We took the excursion to San Antonio from the shop down the hill lovely lady very helpful, we walked to the caves, €10 to get in, we enjoyed it but again big hill to get there and lots of steps. weather was perfect but would not stay at this place again as the food was a let down, and I want to keep trying new places.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jen-jen
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We have just returned from a great week in Ibiza with the 2 children. (July 2013)

Accomodation - We booked a Superior beach view 2 bed apartment in the Esmeralda Mar and were very impressed with the room itself. These rooms have just been fully refurbished to include new windows/ balcony, fabulous shower/ wet room, built in wardrobes, new kitchenette, 2 flat screen TVs, DVD player, stylish balcony furniture and diner table. The apartment was compact but well laid out with sliding doors and hall way entrance. The main bedroom had 2 large single beds/ small doubles pushed together and the other was a double. The new aircon sytem was ceiling mounted and vented into all the rooms - it was quiet and effective.

The rooms of the Esmeralda Mar are up the hill and offer a lovely view of the beach in the valley below. It is a walk down to the all inclusive restaurant and entertainment area, which isn't a problem, getting back up after a few cocktails and a belly full of food was more of a challenge, but all part of the fun. Some areas were a little dark, so a torch could come in handy. There are ramps next to the steps for buggies and trolly suitcases. The outside areas could have done with a revamp, but for what we paid it was fine, lots of native plants. The outside areas in the San Miguel Park were better.

Entertainment - Rachid was very welcoming and friendly. There were some daytime activites like killer pool, darts, water polo - all based around the main pool and restaurant. We weren't interested in these and there was no pressure to take part, but to completely escape this there is another pool on the terrace with sun loungers and the sea/ mountain view. The kids disco was a big hit with most of the children, a couple of German songs and a couple of English ones, done in a circle. There was a chart telling you the entertainment program. We enjoyed the Flamenco show and the Parrot Show, which are done by outside profesionals. There was also some in house entertainment during the week including a disco, quiz and bingo.

Location - Quiet and away from it all, we totally switched off and relaxed. The beach was a few minutes down the hill, there were 3 or so gift shops/ mini marts where you could buy anything that you'd forgotten to take with you. It's only about 40 minutes from the airport. There was a bar on the beach where you could get drinks with vouchers if you were staying all inclusive and also use the toilets. As we had a sea view we also had the noise from the hotel/ bar near the beach, this ended at 11pm which was fine as we'd sit out on the balcony and listen to it. One night they had a live singer, another nights were music and talent shows (but I was still able to zone out a get stuck into my book). The sound couldn't be heard from the back room that the children were in.

Beach -Small and busy but always enough sun loungers, hire is 5 euros a bed and on all inclusive you get a voucher for a parasol when hiring 2 beds. You can also reserve beds for several days for a discount. The sea kayaks were great - half an hours was enough to have a quick look around the bay, island at the end and cave/ blow hole on the way back. The water was shallow enough for the children to have a good area to play in safely an it was totally calm.

Food - There was always enough and the variety was good for a small resort. Breakfast had a selection of breads to toast, croissants, eggs, sausages, bacon, cereals, selection of cheeses and hams, beans, fresh fruit and yogurts. The lunch and dinner usually had a fish dish each day, a roast meat, pizza, chips, fish fingers or something similar, vegetables, soup, rolls, various salads. We enjoyed the food, some days were better than others, puddings were a bit repetative, but there was always something fresh and they were quite creative at using excess food from the previous meal - which I don't mind as I'd rather it was used than wasted. One day was spanish food, which had some of the basics but also paella and seafood and another there was a huge platter of smoked salmon - I have never seen so much - ever!

Day trips - We only went to the waterpark, which was good. There was a height limit of 1.4m for some of the slides, but my 5 and 7 year old girls had enough fun on the other 3 main ones and the little kids splash area. We took a stroll down the beach from there which was very busy with music pumping out - quite the opposite of where we stayed, but worth a quick look.

Overall - We had to drag ourselves away, this was one of our most enjoyable trips. The kids loved it and loved it more than Cape Verde! We wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: If you struggle with mobility this may not be the right hotel for you as it is accessed via steps. T...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Hostal Mari
Hostal Mari
#22 of 97 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
Aparthotel Playasol Jabeque Soul

Been to San Miguel Park & Esmeralda Mar Apartments? Share your experiences!