“Great Location”

Brinklow
“Great Location”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel
Varied buffet breakfast full English or omelette also available and evening meals
Friendly young helpful staff and owner
All in all the best place we have stayed in Thassos and this is our fifth time
Room includes a fridge air con at extra cost and unusually for Greece a shower cubicle with consistent hot water
Bed linen changed daily except Sunday

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank madonmerlot
ilian, Ιδιοκτήτης at Hotel Pegasus, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
thank you for your good words we will continue trying to improve our services

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Northants
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from a week at the Pegasus when we booked this hotel we knew what to expect as we have travelled around Greece a lot and new what standards to expect! We had booked through Thomson and on our booking our room was classed as with balcony and Garden view! Once in the room we realised quickly this was not the case our room was in fact at the front of the hotel facing a very busy main road and right above the reception at the time we thought we would just see how it goes which we did what I will say all the rooms at the front of the hotel are susceptible to a lot of noise every morning like clock work at 7am a large lorry would come down beeping it's horn waking us up! We could also hear every one coming back at night and as we where at the top of the stairs of the corridor we could hear a lot of door banging when people went into there rooms! My advice here would be to make sure you are not at the front of the hotel!! The room was very basic but very clean and tidy! Bathro was of a high standard to what we normally expect in Greece! One thing we thought was strange as did other guests you are provided with a fridge but no cups or glasses we had to sneak some up from the pool and also there was not drink making facilities as in a kettle which we normally do get in Greece! Breakfast is more than ample and two ladies who serve in the morning are lovely! Choice doesn't vary much but we where happy with what was on offer through the week and nice area to enjoy it by the pool! Pool area couple of things I should say firstly au loungers there are only 20 loungers and some garden chairs this seemed lacking as it got busy round the pool there where not enough sun loungers in particular!! Seemed odd that they didn't have more as the hotel is 29 rooms and 20 sun loungers won't keep everyone happy! The pool area has no music on myself and other guests felt it lacked any atmosphere! Some Greek music In the background wouldn't have gone a miss but no music was played at all in the week even when busy with guests! The actually pool is standard size! The bottom of the pool was a little grubby leaves and dirt in the corners which had sunk to the bottom which was a bit disappointing as I love swimming but this put me off and we never saw the pool being cleaned once! Staff all the girls that work there are lovely in particular one young lady who works round the pool after 3 o'clock she's a sweetie rounds round getting you drinks and very knowledgable about the island have us loads of ideas of what to do! Infancy she is the best thing about the hotel!!! The owner! Well on arrival he was not very welcoming asked us our names and chucked us some keys no hello welcome etc!!! Through out the week we saw and heard of several instances where guests where told off for laughing at something hole didn't find funny! Told another couple off for mentioning something was wrong with there room to the maid!! He kicked off and said they where wrong to tell the maid!! All a bit dramatic I thought! Told us off for coming down for breakfast 5 mins early as we where going on a boat trip questioned us as to why we where down so early! Many guests found him rude not welcoming and took no time to get to know us at all not the normal Greek welcome we are used to! For that reason I wouldn't stay in the hotel again but would most definitely go back to thassos but would stay else where! This is my first ever negative review on tripadvisor but all these things could be mended to make a more welcoming pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room with pool view!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank popsypony
ilian, Manager at Hotel Pegasus, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for your comments which I suppose you wrote so that I will improve my hotel and the services and I always welcome when the criticism is with a positive view. Concerning the room in the front you are right sometimes they are noisy but can not accommodate all the guests in the rear part of the building. However the double glass is a protection to the noise and if you had mentioned the problem then I would try to make a room change if that was possible but I was never told. Concerning the pool and the leaves it happens sometimes after a storm that leaves are blown into the pool as we have many trees around and we need sometime to clean it. However leaves in the pool does not mean dirty water. And also when we clean the pool we do it late at night so no people are around don't you think that is better for the guests?As you probably noticed I was always around in the hotel trying to do my best. At the arrival I am trying to do the job as fast as possible so the guests will go to the room to relax. I am usually welcoming the people and with many of them we have a chat at the bar in the front and elsewhere as you may have noticed from the comments on this site. Actually I never show you in the bar. we had a small chat some times in the reception area and that was all since you seemed that did not want to have any further talk with me so I did not want to bother you.. Concerning the music in the bar we play low music as most of the guests do not like loud music actually this is a hotel not a beach bar. The way I was talking to one serbian tourist because you do not know what happened is better not to mention but I am allergic when guests in my hotel are offending my personnel. So I am wondering that you mention something without knowing the reason of this. If my guests are complaining for something they have to tell me and not being rude to my personnel. Dear I hope that I could answer some of your complaints but is always better to mention the complaints while you are here so we can solve the problems on site than in public. I do not think it helps the guest after leaving to say what was wrong (according to him/her) and since you are not going to stay in my hotel again then I do not think that I can help you next time you are in Thassos. But if you are coming next time you are welcome to Bjorns Bar in the front of the hotel to invite you for a wine. After all we are always friendly with our guests, most of which appreciate it. best regards. At the end I would like to tell you when youthat the commentsare only yours and notfrom the other guestsat the same time. Let them talk for themselves. As you can see from the comments here 89% are satisfied so think about it
yannis hotel owner/manager etc
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Back from I weeks stay at this hotel in wonderful Thassos. Having read the reviews yes the staff are friendly the hotel is clean and is a good location I can't comment on the food because we only had breakfast which was fine. My only complaint would be that the owner never welcomed us, never told us his name or asked ours, never said goodbye thanks for staying, did you have a nice holiday. We did have a drink at the bar a few nights and the cocktails were very nice, but the bar was empty. We as some of the other guests found him none engaging, which is a shame.
Thassos itself has changed but still holds its charm. If you want to go on a boat trip try the harbour. We booked through Thompsons and found the beach BBQ a disappointment, it consisted of no choice, a pork kebab, potato and tomato salad all plated up and either a cup of wine or a coke for 47euro. The port is not as expensive. Love Thassos and hope to go back in a few years when the new port area is completed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CSB58
ilian, Ιδιοκτήτης at Hotel Pegasus, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Mr
Thanks for your comment I am sorry if I dissapointed you by not talking to you but sometimes due to a lot of work the time is not enough. Usually in the night when I am almost always in the bar where you had your cocktails you propably show me there. If the bar was empty I can not do much some people prefer to have a drink on the balcony and not in the bar. I would prefer to have a bar with a lot of guests and I am thankfull for advise how to do this. However if you have noticed most of the comments on this site people knows me by my name and that I am always around talking with the people. You know that to run a hotel as good as possible needs a lot of work and I am here 16 hours per day. unfortunately I can not afford to have a manager extra or more employees and I think you understand the reason. Anyway I hope next time you will be my guest we will have more time to chat. best regards and thanks for your comments yannis Owner/manager etc
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We have spent the last week at this lovely hotel. Yannis and staff really do make you feel welcome. The waiting staff are especially considerate, helpful & extremely proud of their Thassian heritage. We booked half board. As there were only a handful of guests eating evening meal we were able to choose in advance what we ate. Meals are homecooked and ideally portion controlled. Breakfast is continental & plentiful. Location has to be one of the best in Thassos town. Its a stones throw from harbour & town centre. For anyone old enough to having been to Thassos on a Young World holiday in the 80's, the hotel is literally a few doors up from the former Zodiac Club & Just in Time Disco. Our large twin room (312) was lovely - huge corner balcony. Situated at the back so very quiet. Spotlessly clean, fab shower & great air con (well worth the supplement). Would thoroughly recommend this hotel to all ages.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our second visit to Pegasus after our usual hotel parted company with TUI). Is in a very convenient position a short walk from the main street and seafront. Slightly dated inside but this is a typical Greek holiday hotel. Very clean and tidy inside with regular changes of sheets and towels. Better than some for breakfast choice and a limited lunch and evening menu if you don't want to go out. However, as the nearest tavern is a 50 yard walk most people make the effort.
The bar in front of the hotel seems to be there for show only as the staff have to go inside for every drink you order, strange. Good pool and lounger area to the rear with covered eating and seating area. We will be back.

Room Tip: Any room on the pool side offers a better outlook.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart E
devon
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed in the Pegasus hotel for 14 nights, the staff were very friendly and helpful. It was a great position for us in the town, having stayed at 3 other hotels in the town in previous years this place is equally as good

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank barbsy
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Pegasus for one week in May 2014 as a family of three traveling with Thomsons 'small and friendly'. The hotel was excellent in all respects.

The hotel is well appointed with several inviting public areas, an attractive outside courtyard, outside bar and good poolside facilities. It was spotlessly clean throughout, with rooms serviced and towels changed daily. Our room was well equipped and boasted an excellent balcony, ideal for watching life go by and enjoying a cold beer and olives on the warm Mediterranean evenings.

The location of the hotel could not be better, only a stonesthrow away from the many tavernas, bars, shops and beaches that grace Thassos town itself. Several evenings were spent exploring the winding streets of Thassos town. There are also several interesting archaeological sites locally which are well worth a visit, the most magnificent being the ampitheatre and acropolis. A recommended route passes by the Evreokastro boatyard at the far end of the old harbour (now a bar and terrace) and Christian Basilica, and onward to the ampitheatre from which a path winds up to the acropolis. If you are feeling energetic try retracing your steps and then following the path on to Makyammos beach.

It is also worth hiring a car as we did so you can visit the pretty mountainside village of Panagia and other sights at Paradise Beach, Alyki and Theologos. From Skala Prinos there is a regular ferry connection to Kavala on the mainland with its castle, ancient aqueduct, and several other architectural interests.

The hotel owner Yannis, his daughter and all his family were very hospitable to us and made the holiday very special. They welcomed you as guest into their home. Our first visit to Thassos island, we were booked half-board and were very glad we had chosen to do so. Meals at the hotel were faultless, with fresh Greek salads, homegrown lettuce, and a choice of main course, followed by scrumptious desserts. Yannis went above and beyond by tailoring food to our choice, offering up a delicious selection of prawns and mussels cooked in garlic, a homemade Moussaka, and on our last day, fresh sea bream with lemon oil. The white wine 'Pegasus' is excellent and fits well with the hotel name! The daily breakfast buffet was also extremely good both in range and quality offered. All this was served in the majestic and tranquil ambiance of the garden patio at the rear of the hotel.

We would definitely recommend the Hotel Pegasus and look forward to returning as guests in future. This is simply the best place to stop in Thassos.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Adam B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thassos Town (Limenas)
Hotel Kipos
Hotel Kipos
#11 of 17 in Thassos Town (Limenas)
Alexandra Beach Thassos Spa Resort
Makryammos Bungalows
#8 of 89 in Thasos
A for Art
A for Art
#2 of 17 in Thassos Town (Limenas)
Galaxy Hotel
Galaxy Hotel
#4 of 17 in Thassos Town (Limenas)

Been to Hotel Pegasus? Share your experiences!