“Average hotel-could be fantastic.”
Review of Hotel Ilyssion

Hotel Ilyssion
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Lardos
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Average hotel-could be fantastic.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just returned from a week at this hotel. Hotel layout was great, literally on the beach and the views were fantastic. Staff were great, would go out of their way to help you and made us feel welcome. Hotel was an hour and a half from Rhodes but did have a direct bus stop to many places including Rhodes right outside. There were two downsides to me the main one being the food. I understand that you get what you pay for but the food was vile. No variation, sloppy and tasteless. We were all inclusive but we paid for lunch in the pool bar as it was that bad. If you are a fussy eater- do not stay here or do not go all inc. the other main gripe was the all inclusive drinks stopped at 10.45pm and didn't start until 12 lunchtime the next day. A shame about the food as it could make this hotel fantastic with better food. Views incredible, staff helpful and friendly, room was all we needed and did have a big balcony.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anniewink

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Myself & my husband have just returned from a fantastic week away at the llyssion....Please please ignore all the bad reviews this place is heaven on earth...the hotel is very well presented & very very clean & the family plus the few staff that run the hotel are extremely helpful & very friendly..there was always food choices for everyone & it certainly lives upto it's 3 stars..after going to Las Vegas last year & also returning there in September we do like our little luxuries & I can honestly say we will defiantly be returning to this little hidden gem The llyssion..

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room you certainly won't be disappointed
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Evasons
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back from 2 weeks at the llyssion wonderful time strongly suggest you take no notice of such bad reports we were concerned with reading some bad reports but when we arrived wonderful owners and all staff were very friendly and helpful food was good never went hungry everybody's taste and expectations are different I guess the hotel is not for everyone we had a great time and are going back next year many thanks to the lovely friends and the owners who made are stay a special one michelle and pete Bristol

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Peter P
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I'll start off by saying that usually I am not too fussy with hotels and I was aware I selected a 3* hotel so my expectations weren't sky high. I'm also not the type of person who likes to moan. But this hotel, unfortunately, was a big disappointment. I'll start with some positives though:
1) We had a lovely view from our balcony. The location was stunning and the hotel is situated literally on the beach (a very small one, but it still counts!)
2) The rooms were pretty much what I’d expect from a 3* hotel in Greece – far from luxurious, but OK - we got what we paid for. So no surprise there.
3) Most members of staff were friendly and helpful, especially the girls taking drink orders at meal times.
4) The hotel is ideally situated for Lindos (a short bus journey) and getting to Rhodes was not much of a problem (an hour on the bus).

Now moving on to the negative points:
1) The food was truly AWFUL. I did not expect a fancy restaurant, but the selection was very disappointing and the quality was poor. If the hotel wasn’t in the middle of nowhere, I’d happily pay for dinners elsewhere, even though I had paid for the all-inclusive package.
2) Being on an island, I was looking forward to fresh fruit and veg. You can imagine my disappointment when I realised that the most impressive pieces of fruit I saw were made of plastic and scattered around the dining room (apparently for decoration)!
3) The all-inclusive drink list was VERY limited.
4) The cleaning staff didn’t even bother to clean our room in the last 2 days of our stay.

I've tried to be fair in my review by pointing out some positive aspects of my stay, but all in all, I would never go back to this hotel and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank MeganW1

Travellers are raving about these Lardos hotels

Alexandria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We went here after reading some poor reviews,however we found it to be a very relaxing and enjoyable break. The staff are excellent and very helpful.
The rooms are basic but are you going on holiday for a room.
The food could be maybe varied a little more but it was fine, remember you are not in Britain
We had a great time and it really is in an excellent area if you want a relaxing holiday.
Sitting looking out onto the sea at any time of day was a magical feeling.
We will go back as we met some very nice people on holiday and as we have said the staff are very ,very good

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank plum16
Wrecsam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I went to the Ilyssion for three years running with my mother who has continued to visit. I found it in the most beautiful setting. The grounds, pools and facilities are kept up constantly and each year you can see the improvements.Yes the rooms are pretty basic but honestly who goes to Greece to spend all their time in the room.

The family who run the hotel are the most lovely friendly people you would ever want to meet. One year my mother was hospitalised( due to a medical condition) they really where great, letting me ea ta meal even though I would get back from the hospital after service time. People moan about the warning signs everywhere, but they are only there because people can lose their good sense on holiday and running with wet feet on marble floors is never a good idea.

The food has been an issue but I am the worlds fussiest eater and I have always managed to eat well. The salad produce is often grown on the premises and you can taste the sunshine in their tomatoes. If you want English food its a short walk into Pefkos, but if you want a full English stay at home or go to Falaraki.

With a bus stop right outside you can get from Prassonissi at the southern tip, where the Mediterranean sea meets the Aegean. To as far north as Rhodes town which has a vast arrray of places to eat, I recommend the mouse cake. There is also the old town where you can spot where some of your favourite war movies where filmed.

If you want a booze filled hedonistic holiday go somewhere else. I f you want a nice family suitable break go to the Illyssion. Just be realistic, just look at the rating and the amount you are paying. You cannot expect the Ritz, they cleaners are there 6 days a week, you can get air conditioning and a fridge. The hotel has a well stocked mini market and you have several other markets within a short walk. My mum is 70 and she can walk into Pefkos and you can find just about everything you need, most people speak English and you have doctors and dentists close by if you are as accident as my family. Its a shame I have not been able to visit for a few years as I have to look after my father but would be back in a shot if I could.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicola W
Nottingham
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have been to this Hotel around 9 times now. However not recently. This review is for our last visit which was July 2011 (unfortunately Trip Advisor won't let me go back that far so ignore the date). As usual it was excellent. The difference this year was that the Hotel had signed a contract with an Eastern European Travel Company, so yes there were quite a lot of them there. However, the room as usual was fantastic and clean. The staff friendly and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. We will be going back for sure as we have made many friends both local and regular visitors to the Ilyssion. I have to say to the others who have complained about the lack of English food..... You are in Rhodes, Greece. If you want English food go to Skegness! Fred & Jo, Nottingham, England

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fredraynor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lardos
Olive Garden Hotel
#21 of 34 in Pefkos
Virginia Hotel
Virginia Hotel
#5 of 5 in Koskinou

Been to Hotel Ilyssion? Share your experiences!