“Nice hotel, but what a shame they didn't act on the general food poisening in the hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lindos Princess Beach Hotel

and 1 more site!
Lindos Princess Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lardos
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very nice hotel in a quite environment. We did really enjoy our holiday here but on the very last days the 4 of us all became ill at exactly the same time because of food poisening. Apparently more than 50% of the hotel residents did have food poisening at the time so we think it's such a shame that the staff didn't act appropriatly in preventing further dammage.
Apart from that it's a very nice and luxiourus hotel. Defenitly worth going once they controle the food contamination over there.

6 Thank Michel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Solihull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Second day into the holiday I was violently sick, then diarrhoea for two week with stomach cramps. Five of the six of us were ill with varying severity but every one we spoke to was ill or knew some one who was ill and that includes staff. They did put out alcohol hand gel but this didn't seem to apply to Greek people as they entered the restaurant, and the plastic cups from around the pool only got a quick dip under a running tap and they was then used again. Its a nice hotel one of the best around but if I am honest after being ill even after I had returned home this has put me off ever going again. It cost me a lot more financially too as when we did eat we ate out because we was afraid it was the food and we purchased drinks and ice creams from the shop to avoid the drinks and any type of water.
I have clicked poor to sleeping, cleanliness service and value all because of the illness caught on arrival, they knew about this weeks before they could have told us and we could have made other arrangements, I would have stopped at a one star hotel if I knew what I know now !

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool have a better view.
3 Thank Christopher Y
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stay: 05/30 - 06/06

My review is divided into 2 parts:
First 2 days of our stay and the rest.

FIRST 2 DAYS:
We went to the Lindos Princess Beach Hotel on 30th May for a week and at the beginning we were disappointed because we were located in the temporary room. Firstly we thought that it was nice because it was the highest standard of the room but the problems started when we were informed that we have to change the room the next day at midday. We decided to not unpack our luggage bcs it would be very frustrating to pack it again in the morning.

The next day we decided to go for the late breakfast because after that we had to change the room. In the morning the maid informed us twice that we have to leave our room before 12 o'clock. During breakfast we had an argue with the mean waitress because we asked for cutlery...
After a few minutes another unpleasant thing happened. A waiter told us that we have to leave the restaurant because the breakfast is over.
We went to the reception desk and asked about our room. They told us that it's not ready yet so wse have to wait another 2 hours. I was so pissed off that I told them that it's our second day when we can't unpack and go sunbathing. A receptionist told us that we will get compensation for this. About 2 pm we came to the reception desk again and asked about our room again. We got the key and and a paper to sign. I decided to read it carefully. There was a compensation: free WiFi for a week (€35) and a note *I'm fully satisfied with this compensation and I won't make any claim.
I said that I'm not fully satisfied and I won't sign it so I wanted to talk to the manager. After a while she came and told me that our compensation is about €90 because we got a room with a sea view. That was pathetic so I said that I heard that most rooms have the sea view and they don't have any other free rooms. Didn't want to argue more so I signed it and said that it's ridiculous.

THE REST OF OUR STAY:

Our new room was nice because it was quite big and clean. The sea view was not bad also. The mini bar was full and refilled twice a week. We didn't know about the previous food poisoning so we tried to eat everything offered us in the hotel. The cuisine in the main restaurant was fine. Breakfasts were the same all the time but other meals were ok. In my opinion pastas were the best. Food in the snack bar was terrible but kids enjoyed eating french fries with a cucumber ;-)
The staff in the Lindos Princess Hotel were quite nice. People working on reception desk were friendly and helpful. Maybe one lady was rude but I saw her only once. I think that A-Team was great. Kids loved them and we enjoyed all the shows a lot.
In our opinion the bartenders near the main pool were the best, especially Armando, Tomi, Spiros and Ladi. Moreover, all guests in this hotel were friendly and smiling so I wanted to say hi to everyone! :-)

After all I would recommend this hotel especially for families with children.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are nice, and you don't have to go a long way to the main restaurant...
1 Thank Marta W
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Previous reviews of this hotel basically reflect everything that I want to say about this hotel.
Went out on the 24 th May and feel angry that we were put at risk by the holiday company because they had known about the severity of the problem as early as the 17 th May. There was four of us in our party ( Husband and two small children) and we all got sick. The virus affected the majority of the hotel guests by the sounds of it. Some were saying it was probably a Norovirus. I agree with previous reviews that if this would have been a cruise ship it would have been headline news.

We had the Dr out twice both my Husband and 4 year old Daughter. We had to hire a pushchair for my little girl because the virus left her feeling lethargic and weak. Most days were spent looking after my sick family. I had two days of feeling nauseous with stomach cramps. Couldn't believe that guests were still checking in during our stay ; wondering if they only knew what they were letting themselves in for.

Food cheap , repetitive and basic. Meat dishes of poor quality.

We feel totally robbed of an holiday. Will not be returning.

7 Thank dawni2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here at the end of may for a one week break and the whole trip was ruined, when all of us fell ill with a sickness bug. When we weren't being sick we were holed up in our rooms, hardly much of a holiday!! Also we felt the food was not up to scratch and not enough choice considering the money we spent. Since we got back we have been referred to a company called 'sick holiday' by some friends. After we rang up and explained what happened they are trying to get us at least the cost of our holiday back if not a bit more. At least we may get another holiday to make up for this one!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Ianlovestoholiday
Faversham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Travelled to rhodes on the 24th may for a week for my best mates wedding. Lovely hotel and surroundings but after just 2 days i was taken ill the nite before the wedding and as i was best man not good timing. I had to have the doctor out the morning of the wedding and really felt ill. I managed to get through the day by just drinking water couldnt manage food without throwing up. Enjoyed the wedding as best i could. The hotel said was a virus but im not so sure. It took me a good 48 hours to feel anything like normal and then on friday my partner was taken ill also with the same symtoms and again told a virus. Well from the 29 of us that travelled that week almost 20 had some sort of illness relating to this so called virus ( food poisening as i call it ) and ruined our week. Out of 7 days in rhodes my partner and i managed just the 1st 2 days together feeling ok the rest was laying in bed feeling crap. So sorry princess lindos well disapointed from your hotel wont be coming EVER again. P.s just about fully recovered now in good old blighty

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank adamcannon
Joensuu, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We went to Princess Beach on May 2014 and the first impression was pretty good. Hotel looked nice, rooms were spacious and clean, pool areas were nice and hotel was generally looking fine. After few days a virus infection ruined rest of our vacation. This was some sort of epidemic within the hotel, hundreds of people got sick. Really sick. People were vomiting all over the place. Our own son got so sick that we needed to go to Rhodos hospital on the other side of the island. Eventually, our whole family got to enjoy this virus and symptoms lasted few weeks.

Ok, this could happen anywhere you say. Well, at first, the hotel didn't even admit that there's a
major problem. After our tour agency guide contacted hotel management, we got some answers. Naturally hotel states that everything is fine with food and they've done everything possible to prevent this. Well, we saw with our own eyes that the chef used spatulas to turn raw chicken skewers and also to lift already finished chicken skewers for customers to take. The basic concept of cross contamination was unknown to this restaurant staff. If you handle a piece of raw chicken or pork with your spatulas, you contaminate it with bacteria which is being directly transferred through customers mouth and digestion. Some food items which I'm sure that need to be kept in cold, were not cooled in any way.

Also I paid attention on how pool bar staff washed cups, some of the cups barely touched water. So if you have a virus and have a drink on pool bar, you're sure to contaminate others. Staff added ice to drinks even when you asked not to have them, since having ice is one the most common ways to get sick during your holiday. These might seem like minor issues, but if you virus on the loose on your hotel area, you really need to pay attention on details like these. In modern countries violation like this cross contamination means that health inspectors close your restaurant immediately. No question about it. We really paid attention on washing our hands and using disinfecting products, but still got sick.

No source for the virus was found, but it ruined vacation for hundreds of people. Still, hotel thinks that it's not their fault and they are not willing to compensate this in any way. But without this sickness, I still have to say that we would have been disappointed. For a 4 star hotel, the all
inclusive food quality wasn't good enough and the variety was moderate. We've been on other all inclusive hotels before and compared to them, Princess Beach food wasn't on the same level. Also, big part of the dishes had no labels on them and none of them had any info about lactose, gluten, nuts etc. So if should you have allergies, you have great difficulties finding any food.

The food was made from cheap ingredients and was really repetitive. I was waiting for big shrimps and other quality sea food, but there was very limited variety and amount of it. For kids, there were french fries, pasta, sausages etc. but the same kid menu every day. No variation what so ever. Also the whole main restaurant was really poorly organized. The hotel wasn't fully booked when we arrived and the sickness reduced amount of people on main restaurant during dinner time. But the logistics really sucked, how to gather everything you need and then proceed to tables. Even with this amount of people, it was a small chaos during lunch time. So in the middle of the season during rush hours, I can only imagine what level chaos there's going to be.

Other minuses, beach is really rocky. It is not suitable for smaller children. The water slides in
pool area were closed most of the time without explanation. Should you have bad weather and you would prefer using indoor pool, well you'll have to do without kids since the inside pool area is prohibited from children (never seen that before). You could only get coffee during breakfast from the restaurant, pool bar was the only place to get some coffee during day. Pool bar served all drinks from cheap plastic cups which is fine with beer and soft drinks, but it's not ok with finer products. The wifi that hotel offers is a joke. It costs 35 eur per week and covers only 1 device. It should be available in pool area and be high speed, but it just didn't work. And yet hotel didn't give any compensation on this either.

All inclusive also includes minibar content which is being refilled few times during week. Ok, there are some soft drinks and few bottles of local beer, but when you pay good money on your vacation, this was quite poor. Also, should you want to control the amount of sugar you consume, this is not the place. All the juices contain excessive amount of sugar. So much that you teeth almost hurt when you drank them. There was no Pepsi Max, Coke Zero or similar products available. Unless you went to local shop and bough them yourself. Gym was really small, but the equipment was pretty decent. Still, no bars or benches, only few dumbbells.

The game room was really poor. There were 3 arcade games which all were around +15 years old and only 2 worked (one just ate your money). Couple of air hockeys and a pool table were ok. Also the possibility to play table tennis and mini golf. The mini golf track was really small and way easy, which was a shame. The kids club offered activities for really small children, but should you have children in school age and who don't speak English or Germany, then there wasn't any organized program for them. The evening show "mini disco" was also targeted for really small children. The evening program started way too late and since it was outside, it was pretty cold too (even on May). Also when you have children, most of us prefer to eat in non smoking area. There was no separated areas for smokers and non smokers.

If I exclude the sickness, I would rate this hotel with 3 stars. The facilities and rooms are worth 4
stars, but the food is quite essential part of all inclusive and food just wasn't worth the money. We also went to this Italian a la carte restaurant within hotel and I have to say, the food was either ok or totally bad. Our son ate pasta bolognese which was cafeteria quality, not even any cheese on top of the dish. Just a lump of pasta and bolognese sauce which was bland. The pizza that I got was honestly bad. The worst pizza that I've eaten in years. And I'm not a picky eater and have eaten pizzas in various countries. The taste and quality was just bad, really bad. The chef had also grated some cheese on top of the pizza which hadn't even melted. And when I pay good money on all inclusive vacation which includes one dinner at a la carte restaurant but you still have to pay for even local wines, then you feel cheated. I'm not expecting any French quality wines or anything like that, but this is just wrong.

You should also pay attention to that fact that this hotel is located near Lardos. Well, actually there's pretty much nothing near to this hotel. There are few super markets outside this hotel but should you want to go shopping, Lindos is the nearest place and it's about 8 km's east from the hotel. And even in Lindos, there are very, very limited shopping possibilities. Also, the prices are extremely high, they are asking for 80-100 eur for some women's shirts that are "locally" made. Should you want to actually shop something, Rhodos city which is over 50 km's away is the place to go. But you really are isolated to this hotel area, so all the services that hotel provides should be first class.

Also should you have some medical condition, the nearest hospital is within Rhodos city. The hotel doctor was expensive and I really can't give good grade to him with our case. He immediately excluded the possibility that this might be a food poisoning that something that could have been caused by the hotel and sent us to hospital for additional investigations. But yet he remembered to bill us 100 eur for 10 min analysis. Efficient guy. No checking on the customer condition afterwards, I guess he was busy with other cases.

So would I go again even without the risk of getting sick, with this price, no I wouldn't. Should you get a bargain price on this hotel and you're not expecting any Greek food experiences, then this might be ok for you. But for families expecting 4 star quality in every aspect, this is not worth the money. There many plusses for this hotel too, but since this wasn't a cheap trip, you should also expect to get value for your money. And in this case it just didn't happen.

6 Thank Tommi K K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lardos
Princess Andriana Resort & Spa
Lindos Blu
#2 of 33 in Lindos
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,188 reviews
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa

Been to Lindos Princess Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!