Luz Ocean Club
Luzmar Villas(Luz)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$102
Hotels.com
Hotel Belavista da Luz(Luz)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$99
Vilamar Hotel(Luz)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$65
  • Pool
  • Pool
Hotels.com
All reviewsgarden poolpalm bayfully fitted kitchenlate dealtwo storeythese issuestennis courtsplenty of sun loungerscafes and restaurantsbuilding workrelaxing holidaylocal supermarketwatersidepizzeriavillageaccommodationbedroom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Ocean club on the 8th of July for a 9 night stay.The accommodation we stayed in was fantastic and had everything we needed.When booking the holiday we requested a ground floor apartment which we got.Great pool facilities but the bar is very Exp at 2euros 50 for a can of Pepsi when can be purchased at the shop for 63c.Very helpful and polite staff especially romaine who was always happy to help.Only negative is the charge for the travel cot for our stay in which we new nothing about until 5 days before travelling (you should not make money off babies).You can also book your day trips and can save 10 percent by booking this through the hotel which is great.We also did have to remind cleaners if they could come in and empty the bin and have some clean towels as it was not done for some time but in fairness she did come back and do so very quickly and also cleaned to a very high standard and was very polite and friendly.Loved our stay would highly recommend staying at ocean

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Leviuno
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We got back last Saturday and I miss Luz Ocean Club SO much! I was a bit nervous when we arrived and there were so many young children (we had 4 teenagers, aged between 15 and 17). The apartments were clean and larger than I had expected. The food was amazing!
We had been expecting an 'Indy club' (a teenager club) as had been to San Agostino a few years ago. However, all I can say is that the young staff, Jake with his patience, enthusiasm and fantastic organisational skills with the tennis and the gorgeous Georgia with her motivation and permanent smile, absolutely made our holiday. To get my boys to do aqua aerobics every day, you have to be doing something right!! We have all come back fitter and also relaxed from a really great holiday. ALL the Mark Warner staff were extremely kind and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. So a BIG thank you to everyone and I really hope to come back and if not to Luz, definitely with Mark Warner!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hazel S
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Have just returned from a 9night stay at the Ocean and what a fabulous place.we stayed in a 2 bed appt.with everything you could possibly need,washing machine(very handy when you have a baby with you) a fully fitted kitchen a lovely balcolny and everything you could need home from home really.the only down side was (and no fault of the ocean) is those HILLS not suitable if you have walking difficulties but would definately stay at the ocean again.thank you

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gail H
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked through Thomas Cook and arrived 28/06 for 1 week. We were taken to a 3 bed apt bigger than we had booked. It was spotless with fantastic sea views. Full kitchen and large balcony. it took us a little while to get our bearings as the apts are not on a complex as such but spread over Luz with the Garden Restaurant and pools located a couple of hundred yards to one side of us and The Mill and pools a little further to the other side. We were on HB and breakfast and dinner was served at The Mill. Breakfast was good - buffet style with sausage, bacon, egg etc cereals and croissants. All the usual fare. Dinner was A la carte with 4 choices for starter, mains and dessert. The food was excellent, very upmarket and which could be served in a high end restaurant, it wouldn't suit everybody who are maybe used to buffet style meals. Mains included quail, gnocchi, pork, shellfish and fish. but if you are fussy they will try and accommodate you with a plainer version. Staff were very good, however mainly uni students on summer jobs so when there was a problem they were not qualified or experienced to deal with it. One morning we arrived for breakfast and there was no hot food but nobody told us why or even had a notice up to advise. Eventually we when asked we were told there was a power cut. Often we had to ask for cutlery, cups etc so a bit disorganised but nice, friendly kids.
Would def return, lovely quiet resort and great restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Pauline F
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked this Thomas Cook holiday on the spur of the moment without checking Trip Advisor first. When I did check and saw the comments I went back and told them I did not believe this holiday was suitable for an elderly person with health and mobility problems. I was assured
that I would be staying in the apartment/hotel part and I would have no problems.

The flight out was excellent on a brand new British Airways plane. However my suitcase was
badly damaged and did no realise it until we reached Prai da Luz. At reception we were asked for our passports and a credit card in case we caused any damage to the apartment. This was never mentioned to us by Thomas Cook. We were then taken by minibus to our apartment which was a considerable distance away and up a steep hill near the Mill Restaurant/Bar.

We were also supplied with a form to note any damage we saw in the apartment. There were so many faults we only told them of the major ones. This was supposed to be a 4* holiday but the accommodation certainly was not. It was very spacious but very dated - most of the furniture was at least 20-30 years old. Most of the furniture was chipped, scratched and/or badly stained. The only modern appliance in the 2 bedroom apartment was the television but we had to wait 2 days to get a remote control. A number of light bulbs had not been replaced, the toilet seat was far too big for the bowl, the plug was too big for the hand basis and electrics in the kitchen were a bity suspect. The apartment was clean but some drawers were locked and others filled with rubbish.

The restaurant/bar was very near the apartment. The staff were all young and British and had been hired by Mark Warner in the UK. They were all pleasant, helpful and efficient. However you really could not tell you were in Portugal from the atmosphere. The meals at night were really quite good and well presented. Breakfasts were not really up to the mark. The eggs were cooked to order but the rest of the food and the beverages were usually cold. Unless you asked for a larger spoon you were expected to eat your cereal with a teaspoon. Their drinks were a bit expensive.

A number of the guests were on an activity holiday with Mark Warner - tennis, mountain biking, etc. They made it quite clear to me that you had to be quite fit to stay at Ocean Club.

The Thomas Cook rep was quite unhelpful. The damaged suitcase had nothing to do with Thomas Cook as I was on a BA flight chartered by them. As far as being wrongly sold this unsuitable holiday I should have checked the brochure and not gone by what I was told in their agency. I never went to see her again as she held her meetings in the Garden Area a 30 minute walk for me and a 50 minute walk back with frequent stops to use an inhaler. I was very restricted because there are no taxis in Prai da Luz. There was also absolutely no entertainment in the evening. Despite us having a 7 nights half board reservation everything closes down at 7p.m. on a Tuesday so we had to struggle down the hill almost to the beach to find a place to eat since it was a public holiday. When I complained she told me again I should have checked the brochure which I never saw.

There was no air conditioning in the apartment. If you wanted a fan you had to rent one. The linen is changed weekly and the towels every three days - the same for the cleaning. However the maid did come in the afternoon before we were leaving for a cursory clean. I think the real intent was to inspect for any damage we could be charged for. One of the worst things about the apartment was the smell which was not solved until the day before we left when a large tanker came and drained all the sewage out of the underground tank which according to the gardener was due to tree roots and toilet paper. Yuk!!!!!!

The girls on reception at the Mill were tremendously helpful.

All in all it was not a 4* holiday suitable for the elderly and infirm.

Room Tip: You will never know until you are allocated one. There are hundreds of apartments covering a huge area and Marker Warner does not * rate their accommodation and I could guarantee that Thomas Cook have never inspected them to see if they are 4*.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends