“Lovely place will definitely revisit!”
Review of Luz Ocean Club

Luz Ocean Club
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Luz
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just got back from 2 weeks at the Luz Ocean Club and have had a fantastic holiday. Such a lovely place I can't wait to go back!
We travelled as a family of 4, myself, my husband, our 15 year old son and 7 year old daughter. We travelled with Thomas Cook and had booked a 2 bedroom apartment. Flight was great from Gatwick and transfer was an hour (not the 3 they state in the brochure).
Check in was fast and efficient, 2 young English men on reception, couldn't have been more helpful or polite, we were taken by mini bus to apartment which was nice and the reception guy showed us how to use the security blinds etc.

I was worried before going at the lack of air con, however, our apartment had air con in one if the bedrooms and also in the upstairs living area. We did find though the Portugal is cooler than we are used to, as we usually go to Turkey or Greece. The apartment was lovely and cool in the morning and at night so we actually only used the air con twice, which was in the last week (first week in Aug) when it had been a lot hotter during the day. There were also 2 fans in the apartment had we needed them.

The apartment was in the waterside village part of the complex (mainly used for Thomas Cook and private rental I think as Mark Warner guests were up the top end of the complex near the Mill restaurant etc). It was set of 2 floors with the kitchen, dining room, lounge and balcony on the floor you entered onto, and the bedrooms and 2 bathrooms downstairs. The apartment W2D was slightly dated but could easily be updated with a change if curtains and bedspreads which dated it, but other than that it was great with a full kitchen inc washing machine, ironing board, microwave and all your utensils, 2 leather sofas, dining room table and chairs, digital TV, there was a. Wifi router in room, my hubby could connect his phone and nexus to it, iPhones etc wouldn't connect but we could have purchased the code from reception if we'd thought of it. (There is wifi at the pools and bars and free wifi more or less everywhere u eat of drink in Praia)

Bedrooms were both twin beds, 1 full bathroom with shower,bath, toilet sink and bidet (much to 7 year olds amusement) and the other bathroom had toilet, shower cubicle and sink. Mirrors everywhere so no fighting over them. Also a hair dryer in main bathroom but wasn't very powerful and best to take your own.

We had a lovely view of the beach from the balcony, and the apartment was very well positioned a few minutes walk from the beach, supermarket and the garden pool area.

We tended to use the garden pool area as it was closest but also as the other large pool was right next to the Mark Warner kids club which Thomas Cook customers aren't able to use. There is a hotel kids club at a charge if 12 euros a sessions. We didn't use it as Our daughter found plenty of children to play with at the garden pool, there's a small children's pool and play area, brilliant as it is fenced and gated so children cannot just wander off. Never any problem getting 4 sun beds whatever time we strolled down, although if you want a parasol you probably wouldn't want to be later than 9/10 o'clock.

The pool doesn't allow inflatables which our children usually take, but they were fine without them and it was actually nice that if you wanted to have a swim you had a clear swim with no lilos. Kids were able to play ball games so they were happy.

The pool bar tends to be quite expensive to eat and drink at, although for pure laziness we did use it, but would be nice if the Luz club adjusted their prices a bit. A can of diet coke at the Baptista supermarket was about 60 cents and the pool bar charge 2.5 euros. Gets a bit pricey if you are there all day. A pizza is about 10 euros and a toasty about 5. You will find much nicer cheaper food if you pop down to the restaurants and bars by the beach and it's only a 10 min walk.
They do have a happy hour each day - usually 4-5pm where jugs of sangria or pimms are 6 euros and a few cocktails are half price.

The area is cobbled and hilly as a few reviewed have mentioned, as fine for us although did have achey calves for a couple of days, buggies and wheel chairs may be a tad tricky, but the resort isn't huge prob 15 mins from top to bottom.

as I mentioned before it is cool morning and night in Praia with quite a wind, you don't notice it during the day when it's hot but evenings are definately chilly and I wouldn't advise choosing an outside table at restaurants unless you have a cardi or jacket. I took a cardi for the plane but could have done with something warmer.

Where to eat!!!!! We ate out for 11 out of 14 nights and didn't have a bad meal. Slightly more expensive to eat out than other holiday destinations. For 4 of us we average 2 courses for 3 of us and one children's meal, a bottle of wine, a bottle of water and soft drinks for the children and were paying between 80-110 euros! Drinking is fairly cheap with wine apx 10euros in a restaurant 3/4 euros in supermarket and beer being anywhere from 1-4 euros. Soft drinks def bump up your bill.

We all have different opinions on our favourites so I will just list where we went,

Chiccas - slightly set away from other places so took us a while to find it, amazing food, menu differs each day, all organic and nice that children could have a smaller portion of the adult meals. Has deserts to die for! Also the owner loves gin so there is a massive selection, also serves processo which is my favourite tipple.

Valentinos - not great reviews on here but was nice enough and we couldn't get in anywhere else on our first night, kids had ribs, hubby had prawns and clams and I had portugese prawn pasta -all enjoyed it.

YOLO - my personal fave, doesn't look amazing from outside but inside is gorgeous, we had fishcakes to start which were beautiful, boys had steak, I had a delicious cous cous with lamb steak. Was the priciest meal we had at 110 euros.

Chaplins - our daughter chooses this restaurant, nice terrace area with view over beach, hubby had sword fish, I had piri piri chicken which were lovely, staff her are English and so friendly.

Cafe Fabrica - another favourite, you could go here very night and find something you wanted to eat as everything was amazing, you do need to book most restaurants unless you want a late dinner ie 9pm. I had piri piri prawns and bread and the Fabrica burger, which is amazing, served with chilli jam and beautiful chips, hubby had the belly pork with crackling and surf n turf on our visits.

A concha - on the seafront again you need to book, even if it's only on the afternoon of the day you want to go. Shrimp pate was lovely and light and their hanging monk fish and prawn kebab looks and tastes amazing. Puddings here are a must,! Homemade chocolate mousse, poached pears, old fashioned banana splits.

Fortdeleze - restaurant that used to be a fort over looking the cliffs, beautiful setting, set menus or normal menu available every day, I had a baked chorizo and warm bread, lamb kebab and a portugese cake and ice cream. Again you need to book in advance as they get really busy.

Ondaluz - international restaurant not as nice as some setting wise but meal was nice, hubby had monkfish and prawn kebab, I had steak stroganoff, kids had prawns in garlic, and a kids slush meal.

Habbanas - great for breakfasts, snacks and lunches, they do do pizza and some dinners but it's more of a bar and is all outside, chocked block on evenings they have music. The boys had big habanna English breakfast each time we went, I went for either bacon baguettes, or they do a continental with 2 nice rolls and piles of butter, jam, ham, cheese and sliced tomato. Baguettes at lunchtime are nice and it's nice and cheap for a drink or a coffee.

Habbanas also own the pizza takeaway up the hill, which is great if you have a night in, we had a couple of nights in when our daughter was tired from late nights and playing in the pool, 2 takeaway pizzas are about 17 euros. We also got an Indian on another night which is more expensive than uk about 65 euros for 4 curries, rice, and naans. But was delicious.

Supermarkets - we used both the Baptista and the Spar. They are both good but Spar slightly cheaper but outweighed by the bakery at Baptista. You can buy anything you need, we tended to do mainly breakfast or lunch at the apartment so mainly bought bread, rolls, water, sorts drinks, wine. They do a nice selection of meats like chorizos, pates, olives. Obviously local beans are cheaper so kids had crisps and biscuits but not the imported ones as you are talking 1 euro for Portuguese and up to 4 euros for imported.

We didn't bother to book any trips through Thomas Cook, mainly as they were so pricey, but our son did the waterpark, splash and slide with his friend and his family and loved it, and we went twice to Lagos. Worth a visit especially to the marina and the old town. We did a dolphin tour with Bon ami trips 95 euros but worth every cent. We saw loads of dolphins up close and were out on the sea for about 1.5 hours. Would definitely recommend.

Sure I have forgotten other things I should have mentioned, but I'm going to stop waffling now.

10  Thank tracey0811

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was a fantastic holiday. We went for two weeks and have young children (6 and 8 year old). Transfer was easy and upon arrival we were treated to a warm welcome BBQ where the staff straight away impressed us with their warmth and hospitality. The next morning we were introduced to all the team in the mark warner site. This was a real ice breaker and clearly informed us of all the activities. My kids loved the club. The activities varied and well structured and I was impressed by the security of the club. The evening kids entertainment meant that my husband and I could eat later and socialise with the adults knowing our children were in a safe and caring environment.
My husband loved the mountain biking and ended up going out everyday with the key leader, Tom. Tom organised routes for beginners to advanced and supported and challenged all who went on his trips. It's a great way to see the sights in the area and have a break from the resort.
I thoroughly enjoyed the fitness sessions with the fitness instructor, Georgia who motivated me to take part in all her sessions. I loved the circuits and core work and there is no doubt that I came away from the holiday fitter and stronger due to her excellent classes. Each day finished with a relaxing stretch session. She was brilliant!
The bar and waiting service was also excellent and made you feel at home in the resort. We loved daisy and Darren in particular who got to know us quickly and were always willing to stop for a chat.
The apartment was a five minute walk away and far better than we anticipated, in particular the convenience of a washing machine made life so much easier. It was clean and it was cleaned every other day. Security to the apartments was also excellent.
So all I can leave you with is the fact that the activities that we tried were spot on and the staff really helped to make our holiday one to look back on with fond memories. Thanks to all your hard work x

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Rachael W
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had travelled with markwarner skiing several times previously. 10 years ago the holidays were brilliant, but since the credit crunch they seem to have gone seriously downhill, cutting corners and costs. After the last ski trip 2 years ago we vowed never to go Markwarner again. However, we decided to give our first summer season a go! I'm 29 and travelled with my 60 y/o mother. We believed the resort would be close to the beach (as the pics show), it is in fact a 20 minutes walk from the main resort. This is not a hotel with apartments. Markwarner rent the apartments off owners for the summer - ours (as I notice another reviewer has mentioned) was very isolated & up a very steep hill! There was no safe and the patio door lock broke on one occasion. We had to sleep with it open, despite telling staff about what had happened! The reason we chose Markwarner was because lots of activities were advertised on the website-runs every day/kayaking/horse riding/windsurfing/tennis. There was one run for the entire week, tennis is an added cost, the kayaking you have to organize yourself - it was a 30 minute bus trip to get there!!! I didn't even hear a mention of horse riding. The guy who organised the cycling trips was great - 2 a day and he obviously loved what he did. The staff were all great, friendly and helpful. But some evening entertainment wouldn't have gone a miss!? All in all a holiday targeted at people with families & children. We won't be returning I'm afraid!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Ocean club on the 8th of July for a 9 night stay.The accommodation we stayed in was fantastic and had everything we needed.When booking the holiday we requested a ground floor apartment which we got.Great pool facilities but the bar is very Exp at 2euros 50 for a can of Pepsi when can be purchased at the shop for 63c.Very helpful and polite staff especially romaine who was always happy to help.Only negative is the charge for the travel cot for our stay in which we new nothing about until 5 days before travelling (you should not make money off babies).You can also book your day trips and can save 10 percent by booking this through the hotel which is great.We also did have to remind cleaners if they could come in and empty the bin and have some clean towels as it was not done for some time but in fairness she did come back and do so very quickly and also cleaned to a very high standard and was very polite and friendly.Loved our stay would highly recommend staying at ocean

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Leviuno
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We got back last Saturday and I miss Luz Ocean Club SO much! I was a bit nervous when we arrived and there were so many young children (we had 4 teenagers, aged between 15 and 17). The apartments were clean and larger than I had expected. The food was amazing!
We had been expecting an 'Indy club' (a teenager club) as had been to San Agostino a few years ago. However, all I can say is that the young staff, Jake with his patience, enthusiasm and fantastic organisational skills with the tennis and the gorgeous Georgia with her motivation and permanent smile, absolutely made our holiday. To get my boys to do aqua aerobics every day, you have to be doing something right!! We have all come back fitter and also relaxed from a really great holiday. ALL the Mark Warner staff were extremely kind and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. So a BIG thank you to everyone and I really hope to come back and if not to Luz, definitely with Mark Warner!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hazel S
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Have just returned from a 9night stay at the Ocean and what a fabulous place.we stayed in a 2 bed appt.with everything you could possibly need,washing machine(very handy when you have a baby with you) a fully fitted kitchen a lovely balcolny and everything you could need home from home really.the only down side was (and no fault of the ocean) is those HILLS not suitable if you have walking difficulties but would definately stay at the ocean again.thank you

3  Thank Gail H
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked through Thomas Cook and arrived 28/06 for 1 week. We were taken to a 3 bed apt bigger than we had booked. It was spotless with fantastic sea views. Full kitchen and large balcony. it took us a little while to get our bearings as the apts are not on a complex as such but spread over Luz with the Garden Restaurant and pools located a couple of hundred yards to one side of us and The Mill and pools a little further to the other side. We were on HB and breakfast and dinner was served at The Mill. Breakfast was good - buffet style with sausage, bacon, egg etc cereals and croissants. All the usual fare. Dinner was A la carte with 4 choices for starter, mains and dessert. The food was excellent, very upmarket and which could be served in a high end restaurant, it wouldn't suit everybody who are maybe used to buffet style meals. Mains included quail, gnocchi, pork, shellfish and fish. but if you are fussy they will try and accommodate you with a plainer version. Staff were very good, however mainly uni students on summer jobs so when there was a problem they were not qualified or experienced to deal with it. One morning we arrived for breakfast and there was no hot food but nobody told us why or even had a notice up to advise. Eventually we when asked we were told there was a power cut. Often we had to ask for cutlery, cups etc so a bit disorganised but nice, friendly kids.
Would def return, lovely quiet resort and great restaurants.

3  Thank Pauline F