“Food amazing, service awful.”
Review of The Galley

The Galley
Ranked #39 of 57 Restaurants in Luz
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: http://www.luz-info.com/bars.htm#Galley
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us from our hotel in Luz.
It was in a beautiful location overlooking the beach and we sat and watched the sunset.
We were seated quickly and our drink order taken a few minutes later, so all seemed ok at the start.
I'm a waitress myself and understand that places can get busy and stressful at peak times, but the restaurant was no where near full and there was so many staff on, it took them 20 minutes to take our order even though we asked two waitresses and they said they couldn't take orders? They were just wandering around looking at tables and clearing them, maybe just helping out and taking orders could of helped the guy who was running around on his own trying to get to everyone, it could of helped things run more smoothly.
When we finally got our food 35 minutes later, it was incredible, maybe the best food we were whilst we were in Portugal, had starters, mains and desert and 4 beers between us and was €60 so not too bad
Just such a shame that the service was so slow!!!!

2  Thank Amy-louise K

Reviewed 10 July 2014

we visited here as a group of seven, as our regular breakfast eatery we decided to try it for the evening, the food was good and the service to, nothing special to write about, but I would eat here again should we return to Luz

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I went here for a coffee alone with my laptop. The staff were nice, apart from the manager, who after 30 mins asked me if I would be staying for much longer. I was surprised by the question as it was completely empty, it's not like there were any customers waiting. To which I replied yes, maybe half an hour more, and she said to me very rudely that she didn't want me staying any longer because I might be putting off customers being there with my laptop and 30 minutes was enough!! The place was empty! And since when is using a laptop in a cafe offensive to other people? I left feeling very angry and upset and went back after to make a complaint. I now see why the place is empty most of the time with that hostile attitude. Bad vibes. It's a shame because the location is perfect, but what paying customer wants to be treated like that?

4  Thank Papita F
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We chose the Galley for dinner last night - an impulsive decision based on the specials board outside, which offered a 3 course menu including a choice of 2 mains - ribs and tuna.

The location is terrific, with stunning views of the beach, cliffs and sea. Sadly, the food and service don't match the location.

They'd run out of one of the specials, but it took an inordinate length of time to work this out AFTER we'd ordered, and even longer to take our reorder.

There seem to be plenty of staff, but only one taking food orders - the rest were for drinks, food delivery and clearing up - and it all lacked a bit of coordination.

Anyway, mains were of mixed quality and below-average size compared with other restaurants offering similar cooking. My daughter's 4 cheese pasta was awful - not sure how they'd made such a bad job, but suspect it involved reheating pasta (spaghetti mixed with tagliatelle???) and running out of cheese.

Dessert took 40 mins to deliver - by this stage we were desperate to escape. The bill was no smaller than any other place we've eaten and we were a lot less satisfied.

Sorry, hate to be so negative, but this is probably the poorest dining experience we've had in 12 years visiting Praia da Luz.

3  Thank Clarkies77
Reviewed 6 July 2014

OK, maybe we picked a bad night (but it didn't seem that packed) but the service was sooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooow. Ages to order, food turned up luke warm at best and ages to pay. They also tried to fob me off with a 1/2 bottle of wine when I ordered a glass. Tipped 10% in all resturants/cafes in Praia da luz, apart from this one. So bad, we didn't even bother going back. Give it a miss, if you can.

3  Thank Julie W