“4 star?? You're having a laugh.....”
Review of Nautilus Hotel

Nautilus Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Barbati
Derby
“4 star?? You're having a laugh.....”
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Like others before, I had also paid for the holiday and then foolishly decided to read the reviews! However, I still tried my best to keep an open mind. I arrived alone with my two young children at midnight. The hotel is literally half way up a cliffside and lighting is limited. The hotel owner isnt exactly cheery and he was becoming increasingly frustrated with me because I didnt have 'the voucher, the voucher'? He gave up and then pointed to the noddy bus, which was to be our transportation to our room .. which was 1/2 mile down the cliff along a dirt track. The room was very basic and had been 'extended' by the erection of what could only be described as an 'outhouse'. This is where my children of 2 & 4 were supposed to sleep in the pull out bed, in an area that had no air conditioning (it was 32 degrees) and the door wouldnt lock. The door that incidentally led out onto a balcony on which the wall was barely 2 feet high and which overlooked a 70 ft drop! In addition, to the right of our balcony was an area of wasteland housing an old boat, several metres of hose, broken glass etc! After a sleepless night, I set off on my steep uphill journey to the restaurant for breakfast. The wasps were a big problem and breakfast was abandoned. I spoke to the rep first thing and demanded to be moved as it was blatantly apparent that IMPERIAL TRAVEL LTD had totally mis-sold this holiday to me. It is not a 4 star by anybodies standards and it is not suitable at all for young children.

• Liked — My depature
  • Disliked — Amongst a million and one other things, The patronizing rep that told me ' this is a 4 star in Greece'.
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
North East
Reviewed 11 September 2008

As with everyone else I paid for the holiday then read the reviews. My partner and myself decided that we would go there with an open mind and make the best of it. We are aged 32 and 38.

Upon arrival (which was 1.30am) we were greeted by the man everyone else talks about and thought that he was okay not miserable at all!!

On entering the room, again i though it was absolutely fine just too hot but that could not be helped as we had not yet paid for air con.

Upon waking up the next morning and going up the 44 steps to breakfast (bit out of breath) found that the pool area was lovely and breakfast was not bad either, toast, bread, cereals, boiled eggs and cold meats with cheese which may not please some people but myself and my partner were okay with.

we went down to the decking the first day and the views were just lovely (balcony view breathtaking)! the decking area is very nice and you can go straight into the sea which was lovely and warm with various kinds of fish. The climb back up nearly killed me but it was 35 degrees for gods sake!

Lunch and dinner mostly consisted of meats in various sauces and or chips with vegtables.

Drinks - i liked the white wine and my partner drank wine and also the beer which was quite weak but he was not bothered.

Pool area - GREAT and we had a great crowd to go with it. everyone was really nice and we had boys against girls pool volley ball which was funny too.

There is no shop at the hotel but the hotel mini bus could take you down to the local supermarket on the way to barbatti then pick you back up again if you did not want to spend the morning in barbatti.

Overall we had a really good time and it is perfect if all you want to do is chill out and relax but if you dont the local bus stop outside the hotel took you basically all round the island for next to nothing.

The other holiday makers made our holiday too - a great crowd who made you feel very welcome!!

• Liked — The Pool and the other holiday makers
  • Disliked — The long walk up from the decking area
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank doddsc1
Sunderland, UK
Reviewed 10 September 2008

Where do i start??

Health & Safety

Very Risky, A relation fell down stairs because they were slippy, blacked her eye, scraped her eye, scraped her knee, broke her toe, the hotel said they had nothing to do with it,

Also concerning other peoples safety
No Wet Floor Signs
Broken Glass In Pool
Live Electrical Wires In Pool
Dangerious Wildlife: Snakes!!!

During my 4 day stay at least 5 people hurt themselves.

Food & Drink

Food is Inedable absolute disgusting would rather pay for dirt, either too cooked or under cooked, same food all the time.
Only aloud 2 drinks at a time unless paid for, beers may aswell be non alcholic, a friend told us that the knob on the side of the puller controls how much water they put in the beer (he owns a pub himself) and the beer was only 1.3% to begin with, only certain drinks are all inclusive and ice creams you had to pay for.

After 4 Days Stay we decided to pack and leave we went to Dominoes Apartments, Ipsos and it was really a great way to spend the end of the holiday

Location
Says it is in Ipsos near sea front where pubs, clubs and tavernas are but is actually in Barbati.

Staff
Staff is grumpy and hard done by!!

I would strongly recommend that you do not stay in this hotel or its sister hotel IPSOS BEACH HOTEL!!!

so thats
NAUTILUS BEACH HOTEL
IPSOS BEACH HOTEL

Dominoes was absolutely excellent and got a very good deal with local ammenities around

[--]

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
2 Thank carlbutler7

Travellers are raving about these Barbati hotels

england
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I visited Nautilus beach recently with my partner. We are both in our early 20's and wanted a simple relaxing beach holiday on a budget, which is why we were drawn to the all inclusive.

Plus Points-

Lovely weather and tanning pottential due to the stunning location next to the sea.

Rooms are clean and towels and bedsheets changed regularly. General cleanliness of all the rest areas in the resort is good.

Pool is lovely (not very deep).

Decking area and private beach is very nice.

Good for soft drink and lager lovers with all inclusive drinks.

Bus into Barbati is convenient and allows you to get out and about.

Most staff are friendly.

Negative points-

NOT suitable for people with walking difficulties (really cannot emphasise that enough) The hills are really really steep, even for two fit twentysomethings and in the heat its very difficult to get to and from the decked area. The paths are uneven, the steps incredibly steep, could cause a bad accident (this did actually happen during our stay there, a poor lady is in hospital getting her ankle pinned back together).

Some of the staff are vile- notice I say 'some'. Some guests were given preferential treatment due to nationality/their willingness to tip. The way I see it, I've already paid the same as everyone else. Why should I tip for bad service in order to make sure I get service of a decent standard?

The food- What can I say. When I say that the breakfast meats were actually covered in wasps feasting off them I am not kidding. Not just one or two wasps. And a feeble bit of clingfilm over the top of the buffet which the ladies stubbornly replaced every time anyone dare touch it does not work. I actually witnessed a wasp chewwing at a lamb chop then flying off with a chunk of meat in its pincers. Gross. The food was at times edible and basic. But when it was bad, it was really, really bad. To the point where I actually had to spit out a piece of meat because of its sour, gone off flavour. My boyfriend will eat anything and probably has no taste buds left. He even struggled to eat some of the evening meals. Some of the english there would simply not eat the food full stop. We couldn't afford to flash our cash and go out for meals every night, so we grinned and tried to bare it. But returning home with an upset bloated stomach is one of the side effects. For people with children, this is really not suitable as there are no child-friendly options for fussy eaters. One boy who was there at the same time as us literally couldn't eat the food.

The drinks- Local spirits means Ouzo and Brandy. This didn't particularly bother me as i'm not a big drinker. Evening cocktail was not particularly nice, but no worse than what you would get in england in a cheap bar. The thing that did REALLY get my goat was the 'tipping people'. If you get a soft drink during the day, the tiny glass is filled with ice and then at best 3 quarters filled with the soft drink. There are no diet drinks either. The tipping people however were served drinks in large glasses. The bar staff often liked to keep you waiting at the all inclusive window whilst they rummaged around under the bar or wandered off. Some guests who were in favour were able to go around to the normal bar and were not left waiting. This is not paranoia, this was observed by many annoyed guests.

Wasps- Everywhere. Baited by traps made out of the juice served at breakfast. No electronic bug zapping devices.

Health risks- Table cloths were not washed, but brushed down by the hard working kitchen lady with a tissue. There was the same stain on a table cloth for 3 days (at least). The food was not covered or chilled, the salad bar was a table with a fan pointed at it with uncovered bowls. Hot food was tipped on top of the old food at the bottom of the trays on the hot food selection. Again, I cannot say how foul it was having wasps feasting off the food. Smell of raw sewage seeping out of the shower.

All inclusive doesn't mean ALL INCLUSIVE- Air conditioning was named on our all inclusive booking, but when we arrived we were informed it would cost five euros. Vodka and other spirits cost more money.

The Rep- Very very little use. Supported the hotel blindly and claimed she couldnt' do anything to help anyone. Appeared miraculosly the day after one woman had broken her ankle and another had sliced her foot open on a dodgy light in the pool requiring stitches (the hotel tried to claim this lady was at fault...)

Overall review-

This holiday was fine for us, we enjoyed the weather and relaxing by the pool. It was a shame so many people were down and upset around us, some of their own doing but others complete victims.

If you want a cheap, quiet holiday which is about relaxing and sunning yourself and you aren't scared of wasps, then this is fine for the money.

If you want excellent all inclusive treatment, pay the money! You really do get what you pay for, and for 450 a person I am not going to belly ache too much. It's a shame really, as the hotel could be made better if only the management cared and took some responsibility, rather than ramming the hotel full to the rafters and overworking their staff.

• Liked — Beach and pool
  • Disliked — Bad food and steep hills
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thebearess
Manchester
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Lots of memories but are they all good???

I have read a lot of reviews of this hotel on this site and others and aim to provide one which is balanced and honest, not just a ‘telling off’ or a heap of praise on the place.

We (My girlfriend 23 and myself 24) arrived at the Hotel Nautilus Beach at 0700(ish) on Saturday 23rd August 2008 and arrived home, yesterday… with a wonderful tan! The stay was all inclusive and cost around £500 p/person including flights & transfers.

The transfer from the airport to the hotel (in a taxi) took about 25minutes and was hair-raising partly due to the fact that driver was bit fast and the roads which take you up to The Hotel Nautilus Beach and its mountainside setting are very windy and times not in the most amazing state of repair. The drive took us through Ipsos (don’t get too excited) and Barbati itself (again, I wouldn’t get too excited if you plan on having a wild night out)

When we arrived in the hotel we were greeted by the night porter and told off for being very late! We were signed into our rooms and handed over our passports and were given our key. We were then given a lift in the hotel Mini-bus to our room.

‘A lift’? I hear you ask; allow me to explain: The Hotel Nautilus Beach is set out as follows; there is the main reception and bar area and 2 accommodation blocks. The first accommodation block is dead opposite the hotel reception and bar area, the second about 200 hundred yards away down some very steep steps or a 1 minute walk down a dusty ‘road’. The steps are hellish to climb up at any time of day or night so I recommend taking the dirt track although this too is very steep in places. I would not recommend this hotel for people with walking difficulties or anyone who suffers with bad asthma etc for this precise reason.

We were let off the min-bus and pointed in the direction of our rooms. Once we got into the room we put down our suitcases and went straight to the balcony to check out the view we had been provided with. WOW! The balcony (albeit rather small (perhaps 10ft * 8ft and furnished with a small patio table and 2 patio chairs) looked directly out onto the sea, the only obstruction being a rather tall conifer type tree. It was quiet and we could look out into the bay and see beaches and hotels dotted all around the Corfu coast-line, to say it was an awesome view would be an understatement.

The room itself was of an acceptable standard and very clean. A double bed (a little on the small side) took up most of the room and the other furniture included a bedside table, a small chest of draws and a dressing table complete with mirror, there was hanging area for your clothes and two more good sized drawers. A ceiling fan was suspended above the bed and gave some welcome relief during the hot nights!

There is a small fridge (great for keeping your bottles of water and sunscreen in but you’d be at a push to fit any more into it), a television mounted on the wall above the fridge (This shows lots of European channels, BBC world news and some English films with Greek subtitles (That’s on channel 7 film fans)) and a few plugs sockets dotted around the room. The pictures on this website give a good representation of the rooms (just don’t expect the basket of fruit on the table).

The bathroom was again a decent size and clean. The shower cubicle is a little on the small side and toilet is crammed into the corner (It’s like they forgot to put it in and added it as a huge afterthought!) and then there is a sink (mounted on a storage cupboard), and a mirror and hairdryer next to these (if you want to dry your hair, I would recommend starting the day before you want to go out… it takes forever!).

There was always lots of hot water but at the times of day when other people were taking showers (e.g. before dinner when everyone wants to freshen up), the pressure in the shower was lacking to say the very least. There was a very strong smell coming from the drains when we were showering too and other people we had spoken too whilst there had said the same… this made it difficult to enjoy a shower.

The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis (not Sunday) and this consists of mopping the floor and cleaning the bathroom and flat surfaces in the room, making the bed (fresh sheets every three days) and changing the towels (if you want fresh towels then make sure to leave the dirty ones in the sink or shower tray, some people moaned about this but I have found this to be standard practice in most hotels now).

Anyway, I move on, as I said, arrived at the hotel at c. 0700 hours and went pretty much straight to bed as we wanted an hours kip before breakfast which served 0800 -1000.

Breakfast is the same every day, a choice of: Bread, Sliced Meat and Sliced Cheese (covered in Wasps, everyday and extremely off putting), juice (served in a thimble), coffee (definitely not Douwe Egberts as the machines livery would have you believe), boiled eggs (hard as heck – if anyone finds out how to peel one of these successfully let me know as I found it was a nigh on impossibility as they were so dry), yoghurt (not bad), fruit salad (very dry and some very ‘non descript’ fruit in there), cereal (hard to make a mess of so this was ok) and pieces of fruit (again difficult to mess up).

Lunch is served from 1200-1400 and is very hit and miss. More often miss I’m afraid. There is invariably a choice of meat which is dry and overcooked or smothered in sauce, chips (if you’re lucky) and then an array of salads. These salads are dry and often left out in the heat where they dry out even more, there is also a tray which has slabs of feta cheese on and a few bowls of various types of dip. The Tzatziki was awful – if you can, avoid this and have it from one of the restaurants in Barbati,

Afternoon tea (1600-1700) – biscuits. That’s all. And get there quick as once they’re gone, they’re gone as they say.

Dinner: Much the same as Lunch but with fewer wasps.

To some up the food I would say it is very basic and covered in wasps… never seen so many wasps in one place. It was difficult for some of the families with children to get their children to eat anything and some of the adults we spoke to were also struggling with the choice which aside from the changing types of meats was very limited.

The ‘restaurant’ is clean however I did notice the cook stirring a large pot in the kitchen whilst smoking a cigarette… I’ll let you figure that one out for yourself!

The all inclusive side of things isn’t great either. You can have all inclusive drinks from 1000hrs – 2300. The beer is served in small glasses (250 ml… that’s less than a can of pop), soft drinks- again in small glasses and served with far too much ice; take the ice out and you have about a third of a glass (drinks include sprite, Pepsi, Fanta lemon and water), cocktails (available 2000-2300) not very strong and very sickly, local spirits, ok but only ouzo and brandy are available. Toasties (a choice of cheese and ham or, erm… cheese and ham) available 1100-1600 and these are okay if you couldn’t face lunch or breakfast.

The pool is clean and well maintained but if you want a sunbed get there early.

The hotel has its own decked area by the sea… THIS IS NOT A PRIVATE BEACH and you will be disappointed if you have been lead to believe otherwise. This is a great feature of the hotel and catches a lot of sun, the water I very deep and great for snorkelling! It also has its own all inclusive bar which is open from 1100- 1500hrs and 1600- 1800hrs and serves the same drinks as the main bar of the hotel. This is down a lot more steep steps and again not recommended for anyone with walking or breathing difficulties

The hotel runs a minibus service into Barbati (check with reception for the times if you don’t want to walk it’s a 20-30 minute walk down a steep hill ((remember you need to come back up!)) and this is great - it gets you out of the hotel! The drive takes less than five minutes.

Barbati itself is very quiet and unassuming, has a couple of souvenir shops, 2 supermarkets (the one next to the church is great) and 3 or 4 decent restaurants. I would recommend going to the Starlight restaurant… awesome food and awesome views with great service. A 3 course meal for two including beer cost than 50euros and we both had steaks, a dessert and Greek starters. There is also a tiny cocktail bar dead opposite here and this is also highly recommended – great staff and great drinks!

The beach at Barbati is made up large pebbles and the water is crystal clear – great for snorkelling. The water gets very deep very quickly (walk about 20 ft into the sea and the water is about 15ft deep). The bus drops you off by ‘La Riviera’ a small beach bar serving great snacks and drinks. A sun-bed on the beach is €2.50 and a parasol €2.00. The local shops in Barbati are a five minute walk from the beach and up yet another incredibly steep hill.

The hotel staff I found for the most unfriendly (particularly to the English guests (however often I thought that for some people this wasn’t completely unfounded – do as you would be done by)), however, the guy who drives the bus was generally pretty happy and friendly and keen to help. It was also noted that the continental guests received better treatment than the English. I will also point out that those guests who are not all inclusive get a much fairer deal (particularly when it comes to the size of container you get you drink in!).

Overall, the hotel is generally clean (aside from the wasp which are absolutely everywhere… keep your drinks covered) and for the most part is well presented. The hotel, as I have pointed out is not recommended for anyone with walking difficulties or breathing difficulties. The views from what I saw are spectacular and you can spend a long time looking at them. The food in the hotel is ok but after a couple of days is tiresome and we were soon looking to eat out as often as we could. The rooms are again ok but very cramped and the staff could do with a team building course and a severe morale boost!

Any questions, shout me up:

True.review@hotmail.com

Cheers!

• Liked — The View & The Weather
  • Disliked — Poor Food, Miserable staff and cleaners really loud at about 0850 every morning!
1 Thank thetruereviewer
England
Reviewed 23 August 2008

My boyfriend and I (myself 24, my boyfriend 29) stayed at Nautilus Beach and returned a couple of weeks ago. We read the reviews before we went away and weren't expecting an awful lot. We requested a sea view room, and my God did we get it!!! We could literally see the entire ocean - it was, simply amazing!

The first thing I will get off my chest is this - you are going to Greece and probably for approximately £500. You're not going to the Caribbean, you're not going to Egypt, you're not going to a country where the English are treated like kings and queens and if that is what you expect on a holiday, PAY FOR IT. Don't pay £500 all inclusive and expect royalty treatment.

The food WAS edible... and I am usually a fussy eater. It wasn't 5*... it was simple. That is the key word. Nice, SIMPLE food. The all inclusive drinks included Beer (absolutely nothing wrong with it at all), wine, all soft drinks and between 8pm - 11pm, a house cocktail. No vodka, but hey ho! The cocktails will do. (The vodka thing was my ONLY disappointment on the whole holiday).

At the bottom of the resort, you will find some simple decking built into the rocks, with sun loungers. Here, you can dive straight into the sea and, if you purchase a snorkel, view loads of beautiful fish swimming right by you. Yes, the walk back up to the main area of the hotel is a tiring one... but it was worth it. Why? Because the views, the sea, the fish and the relaxing atmosphere down at the bottom of the resort are wonderful. Funnily enough, all the people who moaned about the hill were either fat or unfit... not the hotel's problem!

We had NO problems at all with the staff. We laughed with them, we drank with them and in turn, they were polite and helpful with us. It makes no wonder they are sometimes miserable, having to deal with RUDE British people who, quite frankly, can't afford the luxury they want, so HOPE for people waiting on them hand on foot, on a holiday costing £500. Idiots.

The nearest beach is a 5 minute bus drive away - but they provide a regular bus to drop you off and pick you up. It really isn't any hassle having to get a bus instead of being able to simply walk it.

To sum up, this holiday is simple. Was it worth the £500 we paid for it? Of course it was!!! The views were out of this world, the weather wonderful and the rooms adequate. The food was nice and the staff were equally nice - when you had the manners to treat them with respect. On returning home from Nautilus Beach, we recommended it to friends who are currently there right now and are equally as happy with the resort. I would recommend Nautilus Beach to those of you who want to relax, are realistic about what they will get for £500 and who appreciate good scenery and weather.

If you expect to be treated like royalty, put your hand in your pocket. DON'T go to Nautilus Beach then proceed to moan CONSTANTLY and ruin it for the rest of us who are more than happy with what we've got.

• Liked — The views, the weather
  • Disliked — The big hill!!!
  • Stayed August 2008
6 Thank misshels
bournemouth
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Food inedible - wouldn't dare feed my cat the food for fear of it keeling over. Actually infact there was a roaming kitten to feed it to but then that crawled away to die somewhere.

BREAKFAST specifically - wasps swarming under the lids of the bowls of jam. All in all menu - wasps and boiled eggs.

Staff - rude and obnoxious and unwilling to help.

Guests - look like they have just attended a funeral.

Room - I have a shoe box bigger than that! Camp beds posing as a double.....only appropriate in tents where you do not have the privilege of the couple above doing rudies until god knows what hour (squeak squeak). Not appropriate as a double bed - beware the plank that separates you from your loved one, don't know how the couple above persevered (for SO long).

Hills - Vertical! - plus point - I have glutes of steel now! (remember to take an oxygen tank).

Taxis - daylight robbery 10 Euros to travel 2 km - which is not walkable due to death by cliff or death by erratic Greek driver shoving you off previously mentioned cliff. All in all the cliffs are out to get you.

Nautilus "beach" - more like Nautilus "jump off a cliff into the deep and try not to be eaten or washed up on the rocks by a passing speedboat" hotel.

I hope you read this before you go and I can't apologise enough if you’re about to venture on this delightful charade posing as a holiday. Say hi to the grumpy old reception goat! Don't trust the photos it is NOT above 2* it’s miserable and expensive to do anything! Save yourselves NOW!!! Sadly the truth is you probably can't.

One thing I will agree with the holiday company is that it is the "truly unforgettable holiday" that they promised.

You have been warned.

• Liked — the view from our room. but theres only so much view that can excite you
  • Disliked — the tiny, uncomfortable room and rude staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chex13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barbati
Aeolos Beach Resort
#1 of 5 in Barbati
Ipsos Beach
Ipsos Beach
#4 of 7 in Ipsos

Been to Nautilus Hotel? Share your experiences!