“Piece of heaven”

Porto Galini Seaside Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nikiana
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Such a beautiful hotel! Everything is perfect: location, rooms, view, beach, water, food, people, services! Close to the capital of the island and close to Nidri from where you can go on cruises. Good for snorkeling. Quiet beach. Very good breakfast. The service at the restaurant is high class. Beautiful gardens. Places to park. Nothing to complain about. I would come back again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Porto Galini Seaside Resort & Spa

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently stayed at Porto Galini on Lefkada, and would highly recommend it! We opted for the "upgrade" package, which was well worth the extra payment - more luggage allowance, transfer by BMW (with much appreciated air-con!) driven by Alex (who gave us lots of information about the island on the drive from the airport) and wine & fruit on arrival in our "superior" room on arrival. We had a superb balcony room with a stunning sea view, which is in the main part of the hotel building, rather than in the separate blocks, which are set further down the hillside, but which are closer to the pools, restaurants and the beach. The only (slight) downside to the main block is that there are quite a lot of steps & slopes down (and back up!) to all the facilities, except the indoor pool & spa, but the view and the quality of the room more than make up for that! Our room was spacious, the (lovely) bathroom had both a bath and separate shower, and was kept supplied with high quality shampoo / shower gel, etc., throughout our stay. The housekeeping was highly efficient, we had a constant supply of freshly laundered towels and fresh bed linen, (even beach towels were provided) All the staff, from Reception to room service, bar to restaurant were smart, polite, efficient and helpful. We found it useful to have a hire car for part of our stay, as apart from the hotel's own facilities there is nothing that's really within walking distance. The hire car gave us the opportunity to explore the island, which we really enjoyed, but also meant we could take the ferry for a day trip to Kefalonia, too. If you don't want to hire a car, a taxi into Nidri is around 8 euros each way, or there's a bus service - however if you just want to relax and enjoy the poolside, or the beach and a swim, there's no need to go off-site! The pools (4 of them) are lovely & clean, the (private) beach has free loungers / sunshades, and even has clever wooden "walkways" out into the (beautifully clear) sea, so no undignified "trying-to walk-on-the-pebbles-to-get-in-and-out" here! The bar staff also walk up & down the beach area every now & again, and will bring drinks, etc., down to the beach for you. All in all, EVERYTHING has been thought of at Porto Galini to make your stay as enjoyable as possible! Apart from (to) anyone with mobility problems (there are a lot of steps!) I would highly recommend Porto Galini to anyone considering a visit to Lefkada - it's brilliant!! We would definately go there again.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room with a sea view in the main hotel building - superb!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Annieatparkview
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We recently stayed at Porto Galini, for the 3rd time and next year we will be staying there again. I wish they had time share. Our stay is exceptional, each year. From the receptionists to the staff at the restaurant/bar, to the housekeeping staff, they were all professional, personable and very helpful. The rooms/bathrooms are very clean. The beach area, as well as the swimming pools are kept clean. We enjoyed the breakfast, (which is included in the price of the room). It had an assortments of foods. It was clear, the other guests enjoyed the breakfast as well. .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel was above our expectations and is even better than other family hotels on other islands we have been to (e.g. Lesante on Zakinthos and Alimunda Mare on Karpathos). Very polite staff, not intrusive at all, actually almost invisible. We were travelling with a 2.5 year old daughter and were upgraded to superior room just next to the Spa. Excellent children facilities and play room. Beautiful outside pools as well as interior pool. Tasty food, lots of choice at breakfast, less at dinner but thus a choice of a la carte restaurant with a great view. Perfect private pebble beach and crystal clear water. Perfect family gateaway.

Room Tip: Superior room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank EUVagabobd
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I spent a week at Porto Galini at the begining of the month, together with my wife and a group of friends (all couples). The experience has been very pleasant for all of us and I actually heard no complaints from anybody.
I'll try to write a few things about each significant aspect which I can think of.
The location is about 5 km away from the town of Nidri, which is the closest place for fun in the evening, so I would recommend renting a car as it's also useful for going arround the island to other interesting places (Vasiliki, Porto Katsiki beach, etc.). That's what we did - we rented 3 cars - and it was also quite handy in getting to and from the airport quicker with our luggage, rather than using the bus provided by the travel agency.
The resort is quite large but very clean and it is also surprisingly quiet and relaxation oriented. There are 2 large swimming pools and I never felt crowded doing my laps, which was great. There were plenty of sunbeds arround the pools and on the gravel beach and there was never a problem in finding one although it was high season and the hotel looked full.
There is a game room with ping-pong, a pool table and a few other games (I only played ping-pong). As for other available activities, there are a couple of tennis courts, a beach volley court, a few water sports activities available (my friends used kayaks) and even a yoga gazebo. There was also dancing (perhaps tango lessons) in the evening and at night (surprising enough), but I never asked about it.
The staff was very polite and efficient, both at the reception and at the bar and restaurant. A special thanks to Marius, the headwaiter (maitre d'hotel).
The room we got was a standard (some of my friends got upgraded to superior), and it was in the same building as the reception. It was very spacious and clean, the bathroom as well, it had a partial view of the sea and everything we needed was provided (including beach towels). We really enjoyed it.
As for the food, we had breakfast and a couple of lunches at the resort and the food was really good. The breakfast buffet is very rich and very good and it was a very pleasant surprise for us.
I'll try to also mention now a few things which I could complain about if I were extremely picky and hard to please. There were no bath robes in our room, although we never actually needed one. Or perhaps we just missed them as for us they were useless. The ping pong bats in the game room are worn out and I think they should be replaced. I'm trying to find something else I might not have liked, but really can't.
We enjoyed our stay and would deffinetely come back to Porto Galini, no doubt about that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mitza63
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My girlfriend and I spent part of our holiday at Lefkada in beautiful resort of Porto Galini. We checked in on 29th of July and spent six nights. From the first contact at reception desk, we noticed exceptional politeness of hotel staff and their willing to help in any matter. We were pleasently surprised that we were upgraded from standard to superior room, which was modern, spatious, perfectly clean and with nice sea view. Simply nothing to complain about. Resort itself looks like Mediterranean botanic garden. Or better to say, imitation of Greek village in fantastic greenery. There are several swimming pools and hotel beach. Water sports that are offered by hotel are free of charge. If you like to lay down in a natural shade instead under umbrella, this is possible as well at the part of pool area. Hotel beach is small, but only for hotel guests. Selection of meals was satisfactory both for breakfast and dinner. There is simply nothing to complain about this hotel. One advise for those who don't come by car. Car on the island of Lefkada is a must, as the best beaches are dispersed at the west side of the island, nearest place for fun-Nidri is 5 km away, while the city of Lefkada is 12 km from the hotel. Therefore it is strongly advised to rent one. I do recommend to all of you who plan to visit Lefkada, to choose Porto Gallini.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beograd70
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed at Porto Galini for one week in May 2013 . The hotel was even more than I expected. The scenaries were unbelivebly beautifull- turqoise sea, mountains and sailboats passing by.

We had family suite room with a huge balcony facing sea. Family suite means 2 rooms, large hall and big bathroom. In ”living room” we had two beds for children. Still there were plenty of space left.

I red from here that breakfast is overwhelming and it was. In my opinioni it was perfect , Fresh strawberries, fresh squeezed orange juice and about 10 different kinds of jam and bread, warm food, bread, cheese, greek jogurt, greek honey, and a lot of differend things more.

I also red from here that food was not very good except breakfast, so when we had halfboard I was a little bit afraid, but that was unnecessary. Dinner buffe was great, it was changing every day. Lot of greek food, salads, soup, desserts. I´m a food blogger and quite demanding when talking about food and I can honestly say that I liked. If I have to say something negative, maeby they could use more spices ☺ I asked hotel manager why people were complaining last year so much about the food, when I still found it very good. He told that kitchen staff was changed entirely after last season. I have to say, that it was a good thing to do.

We stayed almost whole week at hotel´s own beach. Because it was a stonebeach, we bought beachshoes from hotel´s store. Children had as fun there that in sandy beach. Looking beautifull stones, cracking them, skim, making stonecastles. It was a great place to swim and take sunbaths. At the end of the week they started also hiring (free for hotel guests) canoes, lot´s of fun for kids and parents.

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the place. You can see photo´s and read more about the trip from my blog Hellan ja viinilasin välissä. Translator is on the right :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hellan_ja_viinilasin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nikiana
Villa Olga Hotel Apartments & Studios
#5 of 12 in Nikiana
Alexaria Holiday Homes
Alexaria Holiday Homes
#14 of 76 in Lefkada

Been to Porto Galini Seaside Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!