“Perfetto!”

Equiturismo Podere Palazzone
Ranked #8 of 10 things to do in Pomarance
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse riding holiday through some of the most breathtaking hillside of Tuscany on Hanoverian horses: Horse trekking in Tuscany's biggest natural reserve and "horse bath" in the canyon of the Cecina river. Refreshing in summer and pleasant in spring, autumn, winter. Riding school for beginners and mature horsemen. Farmhouse accomodation in the surroundings with b&b or self catering.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My family and I had a wonderful time at Podere Palazzone, I booked this via email from Australia and it was organised very smoothly without a hitch. It's a special location right near the town of Pomarance with the most spectacular views all around. Enrico and his family were superb hosts as was the delicious food and accommodation. We stayed for 2 nights over a weekend and did a 3 hour horse ride along with 2 other guests.

The horses are beautiful and very well cared for, one was due to have a foal while we were there but we just missed it! We were very lucky with the sunny weather, as it had been raining plenty before we arrived. The vistas are second to none on the ride, it's hard to beat the Tuscan countryside!

The 3 hours was a good length as I'd been on a few shorter rides before and it's nice to enjoy a longer trek. We went up and down hills, through forests and across a river, stopped a few times to give the horses a rest. The more experienced riders had a gallop at one time while we waited enjoying the beautiful scenery and the horses had a graze. I'm a beginner rider and loved it, I'd recommend it to anyone of any level! Thank you, we hope to be back one day! Maya

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We have just returned from a week's stay in Podere Palazzone and we had a lovely experience. We would certainly recommend.

The location of the holiday home...
The view is just amazing- we spent hours sitting in the garden looking out over the valley- you would never tire of this view especially in the evenings when the sunsets transform the skies with purple, pink and red hues. The farm house has the best infinity pool I have ever seen- you jump in and swim towards a view of rolling hillsides, olive groves and Volterra perched on a distant hilltop. I don't think we have ever felt so relaxed as when we were reading books, sipping a drink and taking dips in the pool with this view as a backdrop.

The apartment...
The farmhouse has been lovingly restored and the apartments have rustic charm and beautiful vaulted brick ceilings. There are basic cooking faciities (electric hobs and microwave plus a fridge) so we cooked a couple of the nights and there is a lovely table outside lit with coloured lights for you to eat on but we would recommend eating with the host at least a couple of times as the food is amazing! There are two apartments in the main farm building so you share the pool and large gardens with the host family and another holiday couple but it was never crowded and always peaceful. It made for a nice atmosphere-sharing stories with the other family about where they had been that day etc.

The hosts...
Maura and Enrico were great hosts- offering loads of advice on where to go walking, places to visit and telling us about the local attractions on offer so we could make the most of them (for example there was a medieval festival in Volterra during our stay and a local market in Pomarance that they told us about). They have three very friendly small/medium sized dogs who roam the garden and we found ourselves really getting quite attached to them- you end up feeling like part of the family! Maura is a fantastic cook and we ate with her three times and each time it was great- you have bread, a starter (the bruschetta with her homegrown olive oil and home grown tomatoes was fantastic), a pasta course (the pesto was fresh and homemade again), a meat course (chicken with Chianti wine sauce or a hearty sausage and bean stew) and then a tasty dessert like fresh lemon sorbet with sage from the garden or homemade chocolate mousse. You also have a bottle of Maura's own wine which is very drinakable! We ended up so full each night! Maura and Enrico's two girls were very friendly and chatty during the stay and helped with serving food and advising us on where to visit. Enrico spoke fantastic English and spent a long time plotting out for us where to visit and what route would be suitable for our car etc which was a great help.

The riding...
The apartment is in the small holding with the horses so if you like horses, you will love it. They have young foals and 19 horses to admire. The horses are so gentle and calm to be handled. They all look in great condition with shiny coats and well-toned physiques. When out riding, Enrico is your guide and he will tell you a lot about the history of Tuscany and right up to the news/challenges of farming there modern day. The horses are bright and willing but also very calm- we had a number of fast canters/gallops but the horses all behaved fantastically. Enrico was very aware of his riders and would always ask us if we wanted to canter and give us other options if someone was nervous or unsure- you aways felt like you were being well looked after. The scenery you ride through is beautiful and you ride in the evenings so every day you witness a fantastic sunset! I now live in the city and miss grooming horse etc so Maura set me up with a horse to groom and also let me get involved with some of the daily activities such as fetching the horses etc but of course, you don't have to do any of this!

All in all, it was a lovely rustic home-stay style experience where you are made to feel very welcome and at home and find yourself falling for the views, Maura's cooking and wanting to take home your horse at the end of the stay!

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Tried to book a riding excursion for our anniversary trip to Tuscany. Enrico informed me that the weather forecast was bad for the week, but would contact again closer to the days we would be in the area. After hearing nothing our first three days in Italy, I emailed to ask if the weather would be OK for the next day to ride. A full day later, now our fourth and second to last day here, I am informed that the remainder of the week is booked, as my "reservation" was for yesterday. Nevermind that I was never given a time, or location for this so-called reservation. Now I have missed out on a dream of riding through Tuscany, and do not know if we will get the chance to ever return.

2  Thank Casey H
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed at the accommodation for a week and for 4 of those days we were without any water, sometimes no electricity, and as a result we were unable to have a shower, wash dishes, clean up or cook which meant we had to eat out and purchase all water. We were given a 5 gallon container which we had to fill up and haul to the apartment to do basic things such as flushing the toilet! The hostess advised on arrival that there had been a drought but failed to advise us of this in advance. They made no effort to alleviate the discomfort this caused during the week when temperatures reached 86 degrees and no adjustment on the bill to reflect the lack of services received. In fact, the host Enrico threatened to phone the police if we did not immediately pay the balance in cash and in full. We definitely would not recommend the accommodation at Podere Palazzone.

7  Thank Beth0208