Just returned from Costa Blu Hotel on 28th August after a week's break with my daughter.
I liked the hotel - it's not traditional in style i.e. more like a US motel style layout with individual rooms laid out horizontally rather than vertically but the net result is each room overlooks the sea and the hotel is full of colour and bright flowers in the gardens
The hotel is advertised as a 5*, but it's no more than a good 3-4* hotel of average quality. I've no idea what gives them a 5* rating other than the friendly staff and the views across the sea to mainland Greece.
The rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable with daily service changing towels etc. Each room has Air Con and TV but little by way of added extras you would expect in a 5* hotel. The pool is good and for the week we were there had sufficient seating and space for all.
The biggest issues for me (and I should have checked this in advance) were that:
1) The town of Benitses is south of Corfu airport and IS ON the flight path to the airport - you cannot actually see passengers on the planes, but the planes are low enough to make out the name of the airline and of course loud enough to disturb, particularly at night when they are taking off (even in the small hours) - all landing planes pass directly in front of this hotel.
2) Behind Benitses is a large hill (maybe mountain) and being on the east side of the island when the sun is going down you get shadow by 18:30 which is quite early compared to sunset.
3) The hotel has some odd rules which you can overcome when you speak to the management, but you cannot buy a glass of wine in the restaurant and cannot buy a bottle of wine by the pool.
4) There is no entertainment in the evenings at the hotel although Greek dancing is scheduled once per week but didn't actually take place the week we were there
5) The gym is a running machine and 2 bikes and some weights - I did not see the massage and sauna advertised and suspect it was closed as so few people staying in hotel
6) The buffet food is OK but little choice and there is no a la carte restaurant that we saw although it is advertised
If you stay do so in the knowledge it's not going to be 5* but the views from the hotel are tremendous and the hotel staff are great.
And if you are in Benitses make sure that you go on the sea trip to Paxos and Anti-Paxos - it takes all day but well worth the €25 per adult charge,
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For a perfect holiday with all the comforts choose your own suite in the most beautiful setting with magnificent sea views. The landscaped setting and feeling of privacy offers an atmosphere of relaxation that you can only find in "COSTA BLU." All our suites are spacious with their own verandas and sea view, over looking the gardens and facing the Greek Mainland. Besides the luxurious suites and wonderful sea view the Costa Blu Hotel offers plenty of facilities to make your holiday, one to remember. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Costa Blu Hotel Benitses
- Costa Blu Hotel And Suites
- Ionian Hotel Corfu
- Costa Blu Hotel & Suites Corfu, Ionian Islands