“Well situated but tatty”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed one night in family room. Large room but quite tatty: worn out carpet, tiling unfinished in bathroom. Window high up so you had to stand on a bed to see out and this gave the room a cell-like feel. Shower didn't work properly- either scalding hot or too cold. Bar & restaurant area ok with nice sea views. Irritating loop of sixties music. Breakfast was nothing special.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thanks for your review. Not sure what must have happened with our ipod when you stayed as our playlists change a lot and my husband loves to create them! Sorry-as a huge music lover...he was really disappointed to hear that.

The windows in 2 of our family rooms are high up. I do understand your comment but, sadly, the architecture of the building doesn't allow us to do any more with this. They are, however, very large rooms which, as parents of 3 children, is something that we know is valued when we stay elsewhere. You will hopefully have noticed the new carpets recently installed throughout the hotel-4 of the rooms upstairs are due to be re-carpeted within the next 3 months and the family room you were in is one of them. As a family business rather than a large corporate enterprise, we have had to take the refurbishment one step at a time but we are getting there-I'm sorry yours was one not yet fully refurbished.

Our kitchen is expanding as is our breakfast menu and we always take note of suggestions, so thank you for the comments.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We recently spent a night at the Spa hotel whilst in Saltburn for a christening. Check in wasn't officially until 3, but they allowed us to check in for 2, which was a good start. The room was absolutely cavernous - I don't think I've ever been in a bigger hotel room and it had what appeared to be plate glass windows. There was a bit of damp at the top of one of the windows, but other than that the room was clean.

The night we stayed was extremely hot and, as there is no air conditioning we resorted to having the window open. I'm not sure if it is normal for Saltburn, but during the night we were regaled at various times by groups of...refreshed people winding their way up the hill singing. We also had the joy of a golfing trip stumbling (literally) into the room next door and spending a good half hour, loudly getting ready. The walls of the rooms seem a bit thin and I didn't get the best nights sleep, but that's not really the hotels fault.

Breakfast the next morning was fine - cereal followed by a cooked breakfast which was very nice.

I'm unlikely to be staying in that area again, but if I were then I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thank for your review. Really pleased you had a good stay-Sorry that the Saltburn nightlife managed to interrupt your sleep though! It's actually really unusual to have large groups up and down the hill...Possibly something was on that night which was unfortunate timing for your stay with us.

Hope to see you again and Happy New Year.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Hotel in a good spot overlooking the beach, pier and headland, the room was fine, clean and a good size, bathroom small but ok, bar area was nice and the restaurant has great views however my steak was disappointing, breakfast was ok heavy on the beans. It was value for the price paid and I would return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you-we're pleased you had a good stay in our hotel. Our new breakfast menu starts next week and it's an area we're looking forward to developing. We hope to see you again and thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

It's unfortunate that there is no mark on Trip Advisor between "Average" and "Very Good" - how about just "Good"?
I only had dinner in this hotel, which has a strange layout, long bar area, with no tables to eat at and then large dining area/conservatory with sea views.
I chose the belly pork to start with and it was very tasty, superb in fact. Served fairly quickly as well. For the main course I chose Monkfish and despite it's appearance, a sort of grey colour which was slightly off-putting, it was rather tasty.
I would just say that the staff do need a bit of training as they seemed unsure and lacked basic ettiquette (well, it was basic when I was growing up) but that is a common feature these days. I've nothing against young people, I grew up with them (!) but too many establishments take on young people because they are cheap and then give them little or no training.
Still that's a minor complaint, the staff were friendly enough and like most places I have visited in this part of the world this year, the food was surprisingly good. Are we British learning to cook at last? Whatever next - polite French waiters?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thanks for your review. We're really glad you enjoyed the food...we never tire of that view either-beautiful!

Hope to see you again and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I am writing this review again as I can not find my first review on this wonderful hotel. My mum,my sister and myself found the spa hotel just by chance. Well it was my birthday november the 6th 2012 and were booked into a hotel called the The Helme park hall hotel in Durham I had not being away for 15 years so this was special just the three of us . When we arrived the place was a disgusting we could not stay there . I rang a friend and told him about our hotel and did he know any decent hotels in the area, he told me about the spa hotel in saltburn . I rung the hotel and spoke to bryn who informed me that they only had a family room left as they were renovating the hotel thats if we did not mind the the renovations being done . I set off and got lost so I rang bryn who told me how to get to the hotel I suggested he stay on the phone and direct me to the hotel ( WHAT A STAR )not many people would have had the patience to stay on the phone and direct me in .We arrived what a lovely place .Bryn took us to our room and offered to bring us a drink,2 mins later bryn brought our drinks .The room was great nice and spacious it had a large tv,en suite.soft towels,nice and clean and a sea view,it was like being at home .We asked if the kitchen was still open as it was late , bryn said he would get the chef to come back and cook our dinner, he did and what a nice meal we had, i asked if they did vegetarian to this bryn said no problem and he would pick the ingredients on his way in. Nothing was to much trouble.We went down to breakfast and was greeted by Jonathan the owner who asked if we had a good night and were we comfortable .We told him we were enjoying our stay . Jonathan then went into the kitchen and cooked our breakfast what a feast .Jonathan asked us if we would like him to make us a packed lunch as he knew we were going to Middlesbrough for the day.I would just like to say that all the staff were polite and helpful they even helped me with my new laptop which is an apple as i am not up on computers .I would like to say too sporadiccommentator just because you got the hi tea wrong there is no need to take it out on the staff . If you had issues with a member of staff you should have talked to the owner and if you did not get any satisfaction then write a review you have not given them a chance to sort it out .I would like to say thank you to bryn, Jonathan and staff for a nice couple of days from my mum,my sister and myself . Good Luck Sneezy

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynn S
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for your lovely review-all the staff took great delight in reading it (particularly Bryn and Jonathan of course!). It's really kind of you to take the time to repeat your review (we can't see an original one either) and what a lovely surprise it was. Customer service is so important to us which has made your review all the more appreciated. Staff work hard, not because they have to but because it is genuinely so important to everybody that our guests have a lovely break at the seaside. We look forward to welcoming you as a regular customer in the years to come. Our refurb will continue so you will see changes, but customer care will always be top of the priority list.

Best wishes and thank you,

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Just got back from a 2 day stay... Have to say we were really impressed. Having visited under previous management it's clear to see the new owners are really putting in what this place deparately needed. Time, effort, care, attention and most importantly making sure patrons enjoy their stay.

The food was really nice AND great value for money.

We had all the facilities we needed and we were able to take the dog as well which was great.

Clearly,alot of hard work is going into revamping the hotel. The restaurant and bar area are unrecognisable and the outside decking makes this a great vantage point overlooking the beautiful scenery saltburn has to offer.

If the rest of the hotel is refurbished to the standards being set then this is going to be a fantastic place to stay.

We'll certainly be going back again. Thank you for making it such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. It is always lovely to hear from people whom have stayed previously as we believe that the hotel has huge potential but we know how much has been needed and how hard we have worked over the last 11 months! Thank you, please come again and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We first stayed in this hotel about 15 years ago and have always had a soft spot for it. The quality had declined every time we visited from the previous visit until after the last time we stayed there in June 2010 when we gave it a 'last chance' and they blew it.
Now for the good news. We went there for a drink in June and were very impressed at the standard the hotel has been brought up to. We can't speak about the rooms as we didn't stay there but the have at last got a proper professional reception area, a very comfortable bare are and have refurbished the conservatory to a very high standard. Outside they have removed the ludicrous advert for 'Christmas Dinner' bookings and have replaced the outside seating. One table designed for 2 people has an astonish view out to sea and of 'Cat Nab'.
We will definitely consider staying here again.
Nearly forgot...the staff as always are very friendly and helpful and fully deserve working in such a nice enviroment.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thank you for your lovely review-we are so pleased you came back and gave the hotel and new management a second chance! Our staff are lovely and they always appreciate feedback so I will make sure they have read your review. We hope you come again soon and thank you.

Cathy Kelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Cliffemount Hotel
Cliffemount Hotel
#1 of 2 in Runswick
The Endeavour Restaurant with Rooms

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!