“Decent Stay”

The Spa Hotel
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Decent Stay”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stopped for two nights in August and were happy with the hotel. The location is excellent, basically half way up the hill between the seafront and the town. We thought the breakfasts were good and also had one evening meal there, which was also good. Staff were very helpful at all times. The hotel is clearly going through a fairly major renovation. Only negative point is that the wifi seemed non-existent! All in all, a good hotel and would happily go back.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for reviewing us and we're really pleased you had a good stay. Our refurb is ploughing and we have some great plans for the place so we hope you come back again one day. Wifi is on the hit list..In some spots, it's perfect...others less so....but I'm sure we will find a way of sorting it soon.

Cathy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Came to the hotel to visit friends. who live in the area..got blanked when we arrived and when i approached receptionist i received a rude 'check ins not til 3' (i knew this jus wanted to leave my case)
Epic fail no 1. Then when we came back the manager i believed 'showed ' us to our room but jus toddled off with my case leavinge.with my toddler my son and my friend who needs crutches not informing me there were stairs so i juggled the pushchair not knowing where i was going..epic fail 2. On our last day we went to breakfast sat down, at this point us and two other couples were there, then a big group came in and they never even took our order chose to
Ignore me for half an hour until i finally left with no breakfast.felt humilated, and embarrassed and looked down upon..big epic fail 3. Customer service is paramount in my job and this hotel doesnt no what it means i would turn your hotel round in a week in regards to customer service..room.was basic
too for the price..
The positeves however the younger staff are lovely and one even went out of his way and drove us back to the station.the food is lovely as are the evening meals the chips delicious and the views breathtaking . The curtains are blackout enablin u to sleep(dont change this with your refurb) and the kids loved the treasure chest room.i would stay here again but perhaps the elders should take a step back or be trained on cs

• Stayed August 2013
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
I'm genuinely not really sure how to respond. You have reviewed us twice using different Trip advisor accounts which is obviously disappointing.

You seem to have had 2 negative incidents occur-the 1st when you came early to leave bags and the 2nd on one of the morning's breakfasts. Customer service and friendliness appear to have been the issue. For this, we apologise and will look into.

However, as an open public forum used as a means of complaint, it is only fair that we are able to respond openly too. I'm sorry that nobody carried your buggy upstairs for you;it was left downstairs all week, we thought, because this made it easier for you rather than carrying it up and down every time you came and went.

On the morning when you felt overlooked at breakfast, you had cereals, were then offered a full breakfast but refused when one of our managers tried to rectify the situation. You were also offered a complimentary meal which, again, you chose not to take that evening.

One of our Managers helped you out by taking you to the station when it was raining and so has left our managers really disappointed that you chose to post this. Our rate for a triple room which is what you had is £85 bed and breakfast for 3 people which is very reasonable in this area.

With reference to your comments that "our hotel doesn't know what customer service means", I can only reply that, having received your Facebook message below, that we are very shocked and disappointed at your public criticism:

Hey just sending a message to say thanks to the guy (sorry dont know your name) who took us to saltburn station spesh as it started peeing it down ....
chivelry Aint dead after all ....

Our manager (whom took you to the station) believed that you had enjoyed your stay, you gave every indication that you did at the time. I will feed back your comments to the breakfast staff and obviously address your issues with their customer service. It is a real shame as we believed this had been resolved at the time of your stay.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Admittedly we were not conventional hotel guests - but we arrived in Saltburn looking to pitch a tent. Having had no success finding a campsite, we decided to ask for a room at the Spa Hotel. They were fully booked, but you would not believe how helpful the owners were. After a few other ideas, and as we had a pop-up tent, they suggested that we could use the tent in the Function Room. Perfect! We dined their for our evening meal, as well as for breakfast. Fantastic food. We felt that the owners are not motivated by money, but by helping people. They are altruistic. Added to this - Saltburn is a top resort - we'll not bring the tent next time!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your review and for coming. Your tent in the function room was a delight to see...much to the envy of all the other kids staying in the hotel! Definitely my sort of camping. We would love you to return one day and your words are much appreciated. Our new venture is about much, much more than a business-we know what we would love to find when travelling with kids and we're determined to provide that for our customers.

Thank you ever so much and you are very welcome.

Best wishes, Cathy and Jonathan Kelly
sheffield
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Brilliant location and views. Excellent location to enjoy all that Saltburn has to offer. Friendly ,accomodating staff, good breakfasts(limited range) and excellent cod loin dinner. Thanks , we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was furthest away from the busier front of house ....also with a sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you-we really appreciate your review. Our staff go above and beyond wherever possible so they will really appreciate the feedback. We're on an "upgrading breakfast" mission so appreciate your comments. We hope you come again to see the developments.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel has a lovely position with great views.Our room wqs large and the bed was comfortable but the shower was terrible,it was extremely hard to get the temperature right and the only way was to hold it by hand and hope you didn't get scalded or frozen.We did point this out to a member of staff when we left.Also there was nowhere to put a wet towel so a towel rail would help in this room.The television kept freezing and we were unable to access wi fi in the room.
At breakfast there was cutlery missing from the laid table., the tea came without the milk jug and you had to go in search of the sugar..The cooked breakfast was adequate but there could have been more choice e.g croissants or muffins .The shabby chic look in the restaurant was o.k. until you saw the big net in the ceiling full of flies.We booked through late rooms and got a £5 discount.For one night it was an o.k stay but they need to work harder to get it up to a decent standard.We have had a better experience in a B&B than we did in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ladymobbie
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Thank you for your review- we value all feedback left. Towel rails are something we intend to add ( as are new bathrooms as and when we can). Your breakfast comments have also been noted and I have checked with our staff on duty to find out which room you were in and which shower caused you problems, so we can rectify and resolve the problem.

Best regards,

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Just back from a four night stay at The Spa while my husband was working in the area . It was myself my husband , my daughters boyfriend and my son and daughter . We had several phone conversations with them trying to find the right room each time I found the staff very friendly and helpful . On arrival the the views are amazing and first impressions of the reception and bar /restaurant areas are clean and refurbished to a very nice standard making it feel homely and welcoming . Check in was swift and we were shown to our room as to be honest may have been difficult to find although there are room number signs as you go round so its easy to find your room once you have been shown.

The hotel is obviously going through a huge re fit and I have no doubt having seen what I have so far its going to have a wow factor. Our room. had two double beds and a single huge room not cramped at all no window as such just a sky light which I was disappointed about but wasn't there to be in the room all the time . My husband however needed to be able to work and this room was in a black spot for the wifi, after a conversation with the owner we were moved very quickly with some bed juggling , sea view this time so happy campers all round. This however is where had it been a One night stay it may not have been such a positive review.

We booked for a meal in the restaurant and did have some issues waiting times and ingredients , and it did leave us feeling very despondent for the rest of the week. We raised this with the staff on duty and agreed to talk to the owner in the morning . They honestly couldn't have been more devastated that we were not happy with our experience , and were offered several different compensations . Overall the people at the spa hotel want it to work and will go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and that bit special, remembering conversations you've had about your day , making young children relaxed remembering your drink orders (my son had a glass of milk from the bar every evening , lovely being able to continue a bed time routine made him feel very special ) I could go on .

Everyday workman were on site painting and continuing the re vamp , I honestly can not wait to see it in completion . Through out the hotel are lovely touches like a a small library for both adult and children with some toys , walking through that in the evening again is beautiful decorated with fairy lights makes it very magical. Also are some stunning prints and photography of the local area . Carpets have been replaced woodwork freshened up and comfy sofas placed in open spaces .

Everyday I stayed here I found something else that made me like it more .waking up to the views was amazing and I was able to keep the kids entertained for a day just in salt burn and then using the trains on others but the beach and pier you could re visit to heart content .
If I would offer any criticism it would be staff training in etiquette , restaurant mainly serving on the left etc , cutlery for starters , they are polite but just little things make a huge difference. Breakfast content a little more choice on the cereals, yoghurts chilled , and more juices to choose from ,Maybe even some pastries or muffins . A menu for the cooked breakfast would be a nice touch too.

My advise is book to talk to them about what you need and they will do their best . Any further problems again tell them when it happens and it will be dealt with .

I had a lovely time here not perfect in the beginning but cold take this hotel under my wing and defend the negatives by telling people to talk to the staff .

Room Tip: Book direct talk to the staff explain your needs and ask questions . No lift and lots of stairs and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your review-it was very useful to read and lovely to read your comments about the refurb going on and the touches which we have enjoyed making too!

Breakfast is an area which we have considered weak too and are busily cracking on now with sorting. In honesty, it has been such a busy 1st 9 months with so many changes necessary that it has maybe slipped through the net a little- it's a shame because a new breakfast menu is definitely imminent but a bit late for your stay. Come back again though and I'm sure it will be much improved.

Although we do say on the website that wifi is only available in public areas, we are looking at ways to change this. I think it can be the case in many hotels but if we can boost it somehow, we will do.

I know that with time and perseverance we are ironing out the creases at the hotel every week, so really appreciate your support and input; it's very kind. We know that what we faced 9 months ago was a mammoth task with a seriously neglected building but all the staff are really involved and a great group of people. Thank you and please do come again one day.

Best wishes, Cathy Kelly
Leeds
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed here on a golfing trip (not the one referred to by an earlier reviewer - we stayed sober!) and didn't get to choose the hotel as it was booked through the club. On the plus side I don't think you could get a better location, the views were fantastic. The front of the hotel looks pretty good, the bar and restaurant areas were refurbished and nicely presented and the staff were great, very friendly and helpful.
We were put in a ground floor room which had french doors and a parking spot right outside which was great for us as we could easily bring the clubs into the room overnight. The only problem was the door was the only ventilation, no windows. There was a public footpath 10 yards away so we didn't feel safe having the door open which meant a very hot sticky night. At a cooler time of year this wouldn't have been a problem.
The room itself was a good size and had a double and single bed. The double bed was tiny! I must be used to my king size at home but it certainly seemed very small. The bathroom was tiny but adequate. No bath but that is more and more the norm these days in hotels.
The bed itself was lumpy and I didn't really get a great nights sleep.
Breakfast was ok, plenty of cereal, fruit juice and hot drinks. the cooked breakfast was ok too. The ingredients used though were obviously the cheapest possible and it showed. Not very tasty really.
I wanted to love this place because of it's location and because the staff were great but really I ended up thinking despite the view, £75 a night was pricey for what was really just a very basic guesthouse b&b.

Room Tip: Depends what you, the ground level are convenient but no views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
We are really pleased that you were situated in a room which was handy for you-The windows you speak of are having opening sections placed within the french door frames and a small decked area is planned for the area directly outside of them. Our kitchens are also expanding and our new breakfast menu is being planned and extra staff recruited.Our products are definitely not the cheapest available, so this comment feels very unfair. The bathroom is small, but newly installed and a shower was the best option within a restricted space-as it happens this is the only room which does not have a bath.

We charge £49.95 for a single room including breakfast and £75 for a double or twin room including breakfast; a triple just £10 more so the price you quote is confusing unless you were staying as a twin room on your golfing trip.

Unlike a guest house, we have a large function room with private bar, are a regular wedding venue, have a reading room, private dining room, large conservatory dining area and extensive bar plus over 20 members of staff who work very hard, particularly over the summer period. To be compared to a guest house is again quite confusing. We are sorry we are not what you expected but do not believe that we overcharge.

Best regards,

Cathy Kelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Brockley Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Runswick
Grinkle Park Hotel
Grinkle Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Easington

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!